pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Crystal

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
pholtos

Re: pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Crystal

Postby pholtos » June 9th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Sorry about the delay in the next session. I'm a tad overwhelmed at the prospect of editing 600 screenshots so I still haven't done anything with them. Should get to some of them tonight I hope.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » June 9th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Sigh... scratch that. This will be going on hiatus for now.

Buttson

Postby Buttson » June 9th, 2015, 11:54 pm

RIP pholtos compuddle
Image Dicks

pholtos

Postby pholtos » June 11th, 2015, 6:33 am

I'd say I'll try to get out part 1 of the next session on Friday... assuming nothing ELSE is wrong with my computer.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » June 12th, 2015, 6:10 pm

Session 11, Part 1: Password Hunt

Welcome back. In the last session we made it to Mahogany and calmed a shiny meganium on the water, impressing a dude named Lance. Today we'll continue our adventures in this small town.

We enter to see Lance being really violent. He's... abnormally violent. More violent than I've ever seen a rocket be. I dunno how to feel about this. Or maybe he was actually battling that guy... but it didn't look it. It looked like he hyper beamed a guy right in the face. Heck the guy was knocked against the wall.

So after stepping in front of this statue, an alarm of sorts went off. I guess the zombies react to alarms quite well. Anyway here we have Marisa.

Of course you failed, you attacked me with a Magikarp. What did you expect? I mean seriously, you did 6 damage to me total in this battle.

Before I could do anything else, this guy attacks. It's a whole planet this time round. First off was umbreon.

With a pokemon quad weak to grass and a kakuna. Yeah.

For a ninja hideout, this floor just clashes. You'd think a ninja hideout would use wood floors.

The water pokemon duo took care of him.

This always surprised me about this world. Instead of just keeping info to themselves, if you beat them in a battle, they are inclined to give you secret information that would be impossible to get otherwise.

Switch pressed~ This one turns off the alarms so I can actually walk through without fighting a bunch of rockets.

Despite overall increasing the amount of stuff I can carry, each section can sadly only carry so much stuff. This is more a limitation of the gameboy/gameboy color games then anything, and will be a lot better in later games in the series.

Here's the floor panel Nodoka was talking about.

Thank you lance, just don't hurt me.

Uhh... all right what's Giovanni's birthday? Anyone know? Ah whatever I'm sure I'll find it eventually.

I'm attacked by a spirit detective that gets beaten by being punched. Sounds about right for the show.

Tova... what're you doing here? You need to stop doing that, this is ruining your nuzlocke chances!

Hmph.

You... you didn't kill any of them did you? H-how did you get that information from them? I'm scared.
On another note, two passwords needed to get into a room to get a password to get into another place. Yeesh.

P-punished? O_o

Uh oh it's... Saturos... a Mars adept... with fire pokemon? Well that's canon.

Dude. You did a total of 9 damage to me the whole battle, that's more than a mere tactical error.

Excuse me while I contact the police... oh, what was your name again? Promotions mean nothing if you're behind bars. You aren't under Eggman.

Looks like I found password holder number one, an ordinary high school student.

So uhh... I'm confused. What does she mean stop? Was I... was I threatening her with my pokemon since she ran out? Is that how it is? Am I uncovering some kind of darkness that lies within these games? That after you beat a trainer, they are threatened with being attacked by the pokemon? Is that why you white out when you lose a battle? Oh dear.

Huh. So is the other one RAGECANDYBAR?

I like this guy.

Planet is back for more... with a lone spearow. Well that's unfortunate.

Oh. Well that wasn't my first guess. Ah well I was close. :kappa:

Decided to give my main physical powerhouse a little boost. I think he's basically the only one besides Charmy who is, anyway. Unless I have my typings off.

Wow Kurama that's... pretty cruel of you.

Been a while since something's outleveled me.

If you don't like it, why not just ignore me? I mean sheesh are you FORCED to fight?

First pokemon was Eevee. Fairly quick fight.

If you knew you'd lose, once again, why didn't you just ignore me? Man I wonder why a lot of these lower ranked dudes don't know about me and just let me pass, it'd save me a lot of effort.

That's going to be all for this update. Next time we'll finish up the rocket hideout which was apparently once a ninja hideout but looks nothing like one. Til then.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » June 12th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Lance is quite the intense guy. I believe I've read that in some later game(s), some villain(s) try to use their Pokemon on you as a source of short-lived tension/drama (and I know that happens in Reborn as well). Here? Just standard operating procedure for the mysterious cool guy.

Also, Raticate Tail is so completely out of left field. It's pretty great. (And, come to think of it, a pretty good password--who would ever come up with that while trying to break into Team Rocket's stuff?)

Did you trip any other alarms before turning them all off? I'm guessing that the same pair of Rockets/zombies would have responded, but you never know.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » June 12th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Nah I went straight for the alarm switch after that. Didn't want to have to deal with too many trainers.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » June 13th, 2015, 4:07 am

What? I lost?

...yeah, if you want a glance at creator intent in imagining the world, apparently Pokémon Special/Pokémon Adventures (same thing) is pretty close. And yes, it is a very dangerous world for children.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

pholtos

Postby pholtos » June 13th, 2015, 4:08 am

Oh yes, pokemon adventures is amazing. I'm up to black/white now, imo diamon/pearl gen story was my least favorite.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » June 13th, 2015, 5:40 am

dpp had ups and downs with bad pacing like gen iv as a whole, but overall I really enjoyed it. I also love how it basically ended in polyamory complete with adoption

Emerald was by far my least favorite chapter though. I never liked Emerald (the character) and the piss gags didn't help.

Yet, Ruby/Sapphire was my favorite. I really loved everything about both their characters, deus ex machina aside. I just really like Ruby and Sapphire

Haven't really been able to find gen V stuff though :( The main fanlators quit then mostly because it was doing like 7 parts of the same story in different magazines and was just complicated. I'd like to read it at some point though.

Also - i may have held up a gah or two turning iso on to it

come at me bro
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » June 13th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Session 11, Part 2: Shutting Down The Hideout

So last time we went partway through the rocket's odd hideout. Today we'll finish up taking down the rockets here.

Banana comes and rants about how he doesn't understand things and how he got beaten again. Thankfully he doesn't take it out on us, I don't think my pokemon are healed enough for a rival fight.

Couple items get. Decided not to teach Nease thief since he's more physical based and dark moves are special based.

Now then, this was a ninja hideout right? Why the high tech doors, eh? Did ninja's of this world have extremely good technology? Or did they somehow manage to sneak extremely high tech equipment into this hideout... WITHOUT ANYONE NOTICING?

Ah. So that's it. Broken members of a long since split of team, come together in the hopes that their old leader will come back. How sweet.

Although I dunno if I can lose to a Pansy.

Butterfree had the nerve to blow away a perfectly good fire type that would have simply fainted it in another turn. Hmph.

I present... Kingler. Destroyer of worlds. Ouch.

and then he proceeds to just... walk away. Very abnormal for Rockets. I'm used to the screen flashing black and then them all just not being there anymore.

Ok... I think these guys need some psychological help.

Full heal get on my way back to heal.

Back in the first area, after healing, I run into this guy. Almost missed him. Oh hey it's Tri-Edge.

Fish fillet anyone?

Girafarig went down without much trouble.

Blissey has high sp.def and low def so I screeched it and then hit it hard. Down it went. Gengar wasn't much trouble. Dunno what the kaboom is about, I guess in the normal game the panels up ahead had random voltorb or something.

Speaking of those panels, here's what happens if you step on one and it is a trap space. You can't run from these by the way.

Ah. Of course. Sure. I'll just wait here, maybe come back a little, I mean it's not like I'm right next to the main generator and can stop it without ignoring you or any-

Gosh darn it me. You went and walked back down there and boom, double teamed.

Uh oh... it's Lance the guy I worry is actually evil due to how he's been acting in this place.

So moving on to the battle first we have a venomoth... who is punched.

Faint Attack is a dark move, special. Didn't want that.

Then we have machop, who can throw planets. Ouch.

Finally we have metapod. Yep. Seems these guys have more plans than just here, and apparently I'll see those plans someday. Dunno.

Confirmed, Lance is evil AND lazy.

So now we're gonna beat up some "Electrodes" to stop the signal. All righty then.

You better hope you went and healed before doing all this, cause you can't leave. The game won't let you.

Here we have electrode 1,2 and 3. They are truly the embodiment of Electrodes.

At least Lance is nice enough to give us an HM. Whirlpool will have it's uses, but not too many uses. It's actually annoying that this is an HM.

In his next evil act, Lance tries to convince us to stop aiming for the badges and give up on our quest to be a pokemon master. How cruel. After failing to convince me he walks away.

I decided to teach Horsea Whirlpool. It's actually a good thing I have so many water pokemon.

That'll be all this time. Next we'll be attempting to take on the Mahogany gym. Til then.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » June 15th, 2015, 1:07 am

If my properties are to be believed, I've used over 3600 screenshots so far.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » June 15th, 2015, 2:15 am

Fish fillet? If Vulpy koed it maybe, but that was done with vines. Maybe more like Sushi, or koi salad

Also it's worthy to note that righteous anger is indistinguishable from eivl

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » June 15th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Session 11, Part 3: Slippin' and Slidin'

So last time we finished up dealing with the Rockets in their hideout. Today we're gonna look into trying to beat this gym.

The gimmick of this gym is there's ice all over the floor and if you step on it you slide til you reach a square without ice.

It's the return of ditto. I feel sorry for ditto. Doesn't really stand too much chance against my team.

I'm trying to remember why I didn't get in an ice punch against dragonite. I think I kept getting para haxed and flinching. Sorta annoying. Took three just to beat this one.

In the meantime I don't feel right giving adorable pokemon a scary face. That's just silly.

Chansey attempts to hide it's large bulk but is no match for Vulpy.

Not interested in Safeguard.

Mr. Mime over here did some things I'd expect a human to do, sub to stat gain. Pretty interesting to be honest.

Ah yes, thank you Hiei... this will be... important. Yeah.

Uh oh, it's Jolpe! He'll make my leg fall asleep or something!

Fury attack, a surprisingly powerful move.

Wobbuffet is one of that hardest pokemon I have to deal with in this game I'd say. I might consider just going the poison and wait approach for him in the future, cause dealing with him head on is too much of a pain.

Ursaring is still a beast. Once I have to deal with level 30,40,50 level pokemon of these types, I'm wondering how I'll survive.

FINALLY!

Oh... and I beat Jolpe.

Last trainer before Pryce. Poor thing only has a Vulpix. Down in three hits.

One of four paths you can use to get to Pryce. You could use the square to the right of the one I started on or either of the sides and make it, too. The middle panel is where they'll all meet up anyway.

It's old man rao the Eskimo!

First pokemon is Blastoise wearing a hat. I tried to growth a bit then attack but unfortunately I got KO'd by a move I thought wouldn't.

We then proceed to crit each other. Spark is a move I've been waiting for a long time to have. I now have an electrical move.

Second pokemon is a geodude. Poor thing died in one hit.

Third was no match for Nease. Badge get! :3

Ending text of leaders as always. I could give icy wind to Nease but it's a special move so I decided not to.

Pokemon stats after 5 badges.

Til next time, we'll head toward Olivine and do that route. Til then, see you all later.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » June 15th, 2015, 10:36 pm

pholtos wrote:Image

Mr. Mime over here did some things I'd expect a human to do, sub to stat gain. Pretty interesting to be honest.

I was about to say "Okay, I'll keep that in mind when I get to Pryce's gym." Then I remembered that I'm playing the vanilla version... It is pretty neat when the AI does things that look like actual strategy beyond "wreck opponent with super-effective move" (a strategy that I may never look at quite the same way again after a certain PULSE Muk).

It's old man rao the Eskimo!

Third was no match for Nease. Badge get! :3

Now I'm imagining raocow doing a dramatic reading of this dialogue. Given the context, maybe I should be imagining Bootleg Old-Time raocow...

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » June 16th, 2015, 10:31 am

I feel super honoured to exist in the same universe as raocow
And slightly honoured to exist in the same universe as Jolpe

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » July 6th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Session 12: Tova Attacks

Welcome back to this thing. Last time we finished up in Mahogany town and now we're gonna get going to Olivine.

On my way back to Ecruteak I found a couple things that I didn't get last time due to going through the cave.

Here we are on the next route, number 38.

Here's out first trainer, a pumpkin pirate. I found her flag.

Two attacks later I'm done. This is going to be the case for a while. Since you could do either side a bunch of these trainers are pretty low level.

Berry get.

This guys already troublesome enough just being a wind-user. Don't need him to be a zombie, too.

Lots of battles, lots of battles that go quickly.

Tova is the hero we need, but not the one we deserve, or something.

Tova is trying to imitate Orange Islands Ash or something.

Tova did not appreciate that joke and so has come back as a cat shrine maiden to attack me again.

Tova knows that I have bad memories about fighting Ho-Oh so he attacks me with one.

With Tova tired out for now let's go and fight a robot pirate.

It seems like a lot of these trainers only have one pokemon. Sorta sad in a way, I think that's changed more in future games? May be mistaken here.

Last trainer on the route, a restaurant worker.

Horsea survives through three tough challenges, the rat, Michael Bay and the one shotted.

Route 39 incoming.

O-old man chen? Oh my.

In my head I figured "this move is super effective, it'll surely work well!" Yeah I'm sorta dumb sometimes. Fortunately it was 8 levels lower than me so it didn't really hurt me that badly.

Here's an optional thing you can do. Feed this miltank seven berries and you'll be rewarded with a tm for snore and the ability to buy Moomoo Milk for 500 pokecurrency. Moomoo Milk restores 100 HP.

Hmm... if Layton was a bear... I don't think he'd look like that.

Man Chinchy cmon you've got the supereffective stab move and a 9 level advantage and you can't one shot it? I'm a little saddened by this.

Uh oh, it's Jolpe! Run!

Jolpe apparently believes Magby is Pikachu, the poor soul.

TOVA!!!! You just couldn't leave me alone this session, you just HAD to come back and attack me one last time.

I then proceed to basically one shot everything. That'll teach him.

Didn't realize this was a battle til the second thing she said. Ah well. One hit and done.

and we have arrived! Seems to be a town connected to a sea or ocean or something.

Banana suddenly shows up because apparently he has nothing better to do than to follow us around and rant about the philosophies of weak or strong pokemon while standing in front of a guy who keeps beating him with unevolved pokes. Sorta puts things into perspective a little I'd say.

That'll be all for this session. Til next time when we explore Olivine.

Updates are probably gonna slow down, if it wasn't apparent by the major pause between this session and last session.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » July 6th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Oh no! Kishar!

also apparently these mes are all super hyped for triforce warriors or something

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » January 29th, 2016, 8:34 am

So I'm half considering doing the rest of this as a stream series rather than as a text series since I've had the next session half edited for half a year or something.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 5th, 2017, 11:59 pm

Session 13: Olivine Time

Welcome back to this after a long time, last time we reached Olivine, so let's wander around and see about the gym battle and stuff.

First things first, we head to the gym. Seems the leader is at the lighthouse, so we'll have to head there.

Even though I totally won't use it, I couldn't exactly say no to the guy, he's too passionate for me to say no.

Heading into the restaurant, we find a guy who asks if my pokemon can even lift. He then proceeds to give us a steroid HM. Nice guy.

Lighthouse time. Similar to a lot of places in this game, the lighthouse could be considered a dungeon. So we're gonna have a lotta trainer fights.

After helping to save the world from the threat of the fire nation, Sokka takes up being a ballerina in a lighthouse.

Jolpe loses to me again.

The pumpkin has a team full of weak to ice mons and one more weakling mon, poor guy.

I have to be wondering, why is it that no one seems to have 6 mons? I should really see if there's an option out there to force every trainer to have 6 mons, cause this is sorta silly.

Zombie planet uses nuke, it's super effective. Plant dies.

...Didn't I just fight you a little while ago? Can't you wait a while before trying to defeat me again? Come on guy.

Items~

At this point I reached as far as I could normally. Time to fall down floors, causing great injury to myself.

You're the hero we need, but not the one who can defeat me. Sorry, I got in your way.

So the brilliant designers of this lighthouse decided falling down an entire floor was required to climb the whole thing. How sadistic.

Falling right into a trainer battle. With... an ampharos... uhh... we'll get back to this in a little while.

Items~

Last trainer of the lighthouse, a guy with a two doofy mons and a black orb.

Man it sucks this ampharos is sick, if only there was someone else in this town with an ampharos or something. On a secondary note, is this ampharos expected to constantly expend power all night? Isn't that extremely tiring and abusive to the poor thing? It's no wonder it's sick. And why couldn't the pokemon center solve this sickness? Is it such a rare illness that the pokemon center is ill equipped to deal with it?

ow. Ow. OW. OW!

Finishing up with a little item depositing to clean up my inventory a little bit.

Til next time guys, we'll travel to Cianwood. Til then.

Who remembers that I was still doing this? :P

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » September 6th, 2017, 9:14 am

What the heck? This doesn't exist!
💙💙💙

Speedless

Postby Speedless » September 6th, 2017, 7:45 pm

pholtos wrote:Who remembers that I was still doing this? :P

*RoahmMythril voice* I do, I do!

I suppose the name is referring to Amphy's light powers, but can you imagine if they had actual glitter in the Glitter Lighthouse?

It's nice of Ghostwriter Pumpkin: The Revenge to tell us all about his "bird Pokemon"... and then use all land-based Pokemon, including one that sleeps on the ground and one that induces sleep on the ground. Good type awareness there, guy.

It pleases me that the RNG decided to put an Ampharos right next to the one place where there's an Ampharos in the plot. I guess Amphy's just a special one that knows Tail Glow... somehow...? Then all you'd have to do to keep it bright all night is take it to the Pokemon Center sometime during the day to refresh its PP!

I wonder why Ampharos can't have Illuminate as an ability...

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 7th, 2017, 7:48 am

Session 14: Ball of Death

Welcome back to the adventures of Batman and Robin. That's definitely what we're playing.

So going East we find Route 40, and this building, the battle tower. I'm completely unfamiliar with this place and it's sorta completely unimportant to the plot so...

Nah.

Our next destination is across the sea. I'm still so thankful they just popped up with this message when you simply hit A now.

The first trainer has no qualms with smushing a plant with a planet. How dare he.

One quick travel to the pokemon center later we find Yu-... uhh Yusuke why are you in a bikini? I get outmaneuvered by a transforming Mew and poor Charmy pays the price.

The Ice Fairy swimming with an electric pokemon. Very Cirno-esque.

The cosmic entity thinks we're being lazy.

This guy has a surprisingly powerful balanced team, the only reason I didn't have much trouble is obviously due to being like 10 levels higher. This game has a serious level balancing problem, since you can go either left or right at Ecruteak. :P

So about this route... Electrodes. Yeah... they happen to be the most common pokemon on the route. And they love using Self Destruct.

This person is talking nonsense. I get tired simply trying to tread water, how is that going to help me rest?

So this route has a set of places called Whirl Islands, which is another area that really doesn't matter for the story or anything. Besides, it'd be pointless to go here at present anyway, as the only major thing can't be gotten til you get a thing at a place. I am descriptive.

Electrode! Stahp!

Jolpy came at me again, attempting to copy me by bringing a Charmander, so I naturally fought it with my own, and won easily. :P

Another quick fight. It probably isn't too apparent but I'm basically wandering all around the four islands looking for trainers.

I think he's talking about the whirlpools but I don't remember sadly. I wish there was more to say about these fights but given how big of a level difference there is there's not much more to say.

The secret to my strength is not having just and Unown. (Unown is best mon.)

Ok first you call me lazy then you call me elegant, and send out Cthulhu Jr. at me. You also changed genders. Make up your mind pls.

STAHP!

Something something warm water joke.

Cirno attacks me again, with another electric mouse. I believe I already fought Cirno's friends a bit earlier on.

ELECTRODE! PLS!

NOOOOOO!

AHHHHHHHHHH!

This is a fairly random fact to tell me, Satou. Thanks?

We finally... landed... thank goodness.

Til next time everyone, we'll explore Cianwood and return to Olivine. Til then.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » September 7th, 2017, 12:52 pm

pholtos wrote:This person is talking nonsense. I get tired simply trying to tread water, how is that going to help me rest?

Depends on if you can naturally float or not. For someone like me who can't float, treading water requires actively swimming or else I'll just sink. For someone who can float, treading water can rely mostly on just floating allowing you a chance to rest a bit.
💙💙💙

Speedless

Postby Speedless » September 7th, 2017, 10:08 pm

The first time I read through this most recent update, I didn't notice that last image at all. That one pretty much sums up the experience, doesn't it? It's more like trying to get through Victory Road than Surfing.

pholtos wrote:So going East we find Route 40, and this building, the battle tower. I'm completely unfamiliar with this place and it's sorta completely unimportant to the plot so...

Nah.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's no particular reason to do anything at the Battle Tower. You don't win anything other than vitamins there (as far as I know), and even if the battles in there are randomized, the Battle facility rules probably don't spice things up that much.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 17th, 2017, 2:17 am

Session 15: Double Dose of Gym Battle

Welcome back to pholtos' bizaare adventure. We're gonna explore Cianwood and get medicine and beat some gyms and stuff.

With the pharmacy being right to the left.

Where we meet a guy who trusts us with super powerful drugs. I see no problems.

Ooh ooh a gift? Is it candy? I hope it's candy.

Here's most of the remaining houses of Cianwood, first guy will give you a shuckle and the other one explains that there's a legendary pokemon in those islands we passed by last episode.

Hmm?

!

This guy must be in love with Suicune. I'm not judgin.

And he comes at me with a charizard and two cutes. Given how easily I beat him, he decides to give up pokemon training and become a stalker.

With everything else out of the way, let's tackle the gym.

First off we have two battles one right after the other. This guy is straight out of the Yugioh anime.

I still make blunders like this all the time, unfortunately. Probably shoulda fought it with a water type. :P

Apparently martial artists can't feel fear? He's probably lying to me.

HUEHUEHUEHUE. On another note, notice I had to switch mons even with a type advantage. I'm probably gonna run into quite a few situations like this in the future, given how the higher the levels get, the more noticeable the power difference is gonna be between my mons and evolved mons.

Fists, got it. I got a fist mon.

Charmy fists a bee and a cyndaquil.

More fists talk? Ok.

Charmy fists a fortress.

IM THE STRONGEST.

That is by far the unluckiest hitmonlee I have ever seen. It never hit me.

And appropriately I get a TM that has a high miss chance.

Turns out the lady outside is Cirno's wife. Who gives us fly! Oh boy! :D

One swim later, we find Jasmine, still up here with the Ampharos who only really seems to trust Jasmine. Another relationship, perhaps? After giving the potion Jasmine... vanishes.

But she did say she'd return here so let's see.

Where we proceed to get lectured a bit about the steel type. Jasmine talks sorta like an introvert would, which is a nice contrast from quite a number of the gym leaders.

Ah, Inami, that explains it. First up is a Cloyster who... doesn't hurt me.

Wat.

Whelp.

I figure this is appropriate.

And thus we beat two gyms. getting iron tail in the process.

Which I teach to Nease, giving him a bit more coverage.

Elm calls us immediately after leaving, seems Team Rocket is up to no good, through the most evil of ways, talk radio.

I'm... gonna have to stop them, aren't I. Cause given how useful the police have been, clearly I, a 10 year old, am the only one that can stop this.

Aaand here's my mons stats so far. Til next time, we'll head back to goldenrod. Til then.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » September 17th, 2017, 4:17 am

Ooh ooh a gift? Is it candy? I hope it's candy.

If Pinap Berries were dry and bitter, dried Pinap rings would probably be the same color, at least.

!

It's the thing with the stuff and the thing, from the thing!

I don't think I ever really noticed that Suicune's cloud/fog/mist fluff is actually shown on its overworld sprite (as that blue blob in the upper corners). It's much more noticeable when its lack of outline overlaps the rock wall behind it.

Turns out the lady outside is Cirno's wife. Who gives us fly! Oh boy! :D

"Getting a little chubby," you say... I guess Cirno really is Wario!

: (

Wat.

Huh, that's interesting. Wasn't Steelix her middle Pokemon in the original too? We've seen people who originally had multiples of the same Pokemon but got different randomized ones, I think... Are Jasmine's Magnemite actually the exact same data treated as two Pokemon or something? (Or it could be just a crazy coincidence.)

Amusingly, her entire team is made up of Pokemon that would handle Fire Punch better in later generations. Maybe not much better, but better. Which, come to think of it, also describes her original team.

Out of curiosity, why keep Water Gun on both Horsea and Chinchy? I can see why you'd need to keep a move slot open for later on one of them (namely  Waterfall ), and there's a level-based option that's arguably better than just slapping Surf on every Water-type ( Hydro Pump , which is available to both of them), but if it were me, I'd probably take the extra power of Surf now and worry about getting to the Move Deleter later if I needed a different move.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 17th, 2017, 4:59 am

Cause I'm too lazy to go to the move deleter later. :P

Speedless

Postby Speedless » September 17th, 2017, 5:29 am

I must admit, even now that Reborn's starting to teach me the appeal of powerful, inaccurate moves, I'd probably still slap Surf on everything, just because it has such a good power-PP balance (the amount of damage you'll get out of 15 Surfs is probably better than 25 Water Guns or 5 Hydro Pumps, even if they all hit). That probably isn't as important as I always think of it as being, since I tend to run back to the Pokemon Center at the slightest provocation, but I tend to prefer more accurate moves anyway.

For unevolved Pokemon, though, Hydro Pump could be very much worth it, especially if it means defeating opponents a turn or two sooner (and taking one or two fewer hits). It's probably bad news for certain matchups to go longer than five turns anyway!

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 18th, 2017, 12:13 am

Session 16: Radio Tower Climb

Welcome back. I've returned to Goldenrod and clearly there aren't any rockets near the radio tower. These are clearly businessmen.

Well guess that's that. No tours, guess we're done here guys.

Til next time everyone, we'll... Hey... wait a minute! That businessman didn't have a briefcase!

They were Rockets after all! How dare they trick me.

Your two rock balls are no match for my adorable seahorse. Horsea manages to get a dragon type move for those rare instances where I'll need one, although it's only a 40 power move, but can cause flinching.

HELP. So where's my prize?

Jigglypuff is doing his best. :3

I know a couple dancing routines, will that work? <('w' <) (> 'w')> <('w' <) (> 'w')>

Horsea barely beats Sneasel.

And yet Jigglypuff is right there and isn't being exploited or anything. You have a soft spot for the adorb, don't you? :3c

This guy had quite a few mons, and two remoraids in a row. Confuse ray is always nice to get.

On my way back to heal, I found this honest businessman blocking my path to the lower left area.

Whenever I see this, all I can think is this guy:

The guy had a punching mon, I believe I switched out to Chinchy to finish it. The Dunsparce was a meany and glared at my Bells.

Selling tails, taking over a radio tower, yep. Totally a comeback.

Say hello to the most annoying butterfree you will ever see. Did he just call me cute? :O

Muahaha! Go and stand on that grass! Muahaha! Make sure to leave this plastic cup outside of the recycling bin! We are so evil~

Vulpy deals with the Scyther and Lawrence is shocked.

There's totally nothing weird about this image, nope. On a side note, maybe I should be combining their intro-talking with the battle unless it's a major fight.

Another person just standing around with a buncha team rockets doing absolutely nothing to help out. Why is it that I'm basically the only one doing anything to try to stop them? Doesn't this place have a nearby police station or something? Anyway seems we have a goal, rescuing the tower's director.

One battle of Nease taking out everything later...

These guys sure do monologue a lot don't they.

Charmy can no longer fist pokemon, ah well. Oh and Lugia was here, too.

I don't think this is ever really explained but, what exactly were they trying to do here? They basically took over a radio tower... for what? Maybe it's a larger scale version of what happened at the lake of rage but all that was was them trying to force evolve pokemon.

This guy better be careful or he'll get attacked by the stalker.

I.... Can't... Fit.

Oh... Oh crap... I uhh... I didn't heal recently. Oh no. On a side note, this feels like such a silly thing, "I'll tell you where I hid it, but only if you defeat me in a Childrens Card Game."

Ah geez this might be bad.

Ok maybe not.

Thank you Kabutops for having a terrible AI.

Xatu is the third mon, easy pokemon for Nease to handle.

Then Koffing goes and confuse hax's Charmy to death and then explodes on my Horsea.

Fifth mon Nease managed to handle...barely.

Final mon takes out Nease.

At which point I have three low hp mons left.

Confuse hax and teddiursa using lick instead of fury swipes or slash or anything strong saves the day.

You have defeated me, an adult, with your pokemon who are barely standing. As such I am obligated to reveal everything about his whereabouts, and even give you the means to reach him. Muahahaha!

Til next time everyone, we'll go rescue the director and clear out the rest of the trainers in the radio tower.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 18th, 2017, 7:08 am

So I was considering what to do after the Elite Four. Would you guys want me to do all of Kanto? The thing about Kanto is it's really just a bunch of trainer battles, not much else happens. Kanto is seriously empty. :P

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 18th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Session 17: Rocket Removal

Welcome back, last time we fought a really nice rocket who gave us not only a location but a means of entry. So here we go, time to rescue the director and stop the Rocket for good.

But before that we have to deal with Banana, who actually looks to have wanted to take down the rockets but is always slower than us at doing so.

First mon was easily defeated by Chinchy.

Then there was this Umbreon. It's moveset was Pursuit, Quick Attack, Sand Attack and Confuse Ray. You could imagine how annoying that would be to deal with. It loved to spam sand attack, and if I tried to switch, it'd pursuit me. Not fun. :X

We then had the revenge of Ho-Oh, an Ekans that loved using Glare and Bite, and then a Spearow. Sorta anticlimactic but yeah.

I sorta like what they did with the Rival in gen 2, he slowly learns his faults by continuing to lose to a mute trainer that he continues to try to beat, and fails every time.

Even down here, there are Rocket Zombies about. After taking out a Sneasel, Vulpy finally learns a new fire move, Flamethrower. So now he's on equal grounds with Charmy in the fire department.

Not much indecision to be made when I basically one shot all three of your mons with one of my own. Sorry bud.

This guy has two bird mons, another simple win for me. After the battle he basically says you start with the 3rd switch, at least I think that's what he said.

So there's only three switches, the toughest of puzzles. For clarity sake, 321 opens the path. I believe 3 and 1 opens the path to an item.

What project is this guy even talking about? Anyway it was around this time I realized how amazing iron tail was gonna be on Nease. Really nice to have a strong physical move.

Horsea > Kingdra. Twister OP. Pls nerf. Also there totally wasn't a mon inbetween Kingdra and Yanma that I forgot to screenshot. Nope.

Items get.

Last trainer of the room. She sure scared me, she brought back Wigglytuff to try to take me down. Good thing I'm stronger than I was when facing Morty.

Oooooh... what does this button do? :D

We enter through the double doors to a place that looks familiar.

I sure showed mercy to this poor soul, I fought him with a para-haxed mon. He still stood no match.

Another item get. I'm sure getting quite a collection of stuff I may never use.

In a team of special users, it's nice to have a mon that can deal with special walls. A Blissey with Minimize, oy. Iron Tail basically one shots it.

Last trainer of the underground area. It's a Spirit Medium inhabiting the body of a Rocket. Oh dear.

Whelp we got the TM, time to leave... oh all right.

TALKING! TL;DR help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope. Gotta trust the 10 year old.

We get an Amulet Coin and then find we were under the basement of the Supermarket. After healing, we return to the radio tower to finish up there.

Hmm, the shutter opens and a random kid comes through, I wonder if he did something? Naaaah. Two grass types are easy pickings for Charmy.

This person dares to not think their cutes are cute? How dare they! Cutes are not useless! D:<

Meowth for best helper 2017.

You have no idea how much I laughed at this, the guy calling himself the Team Rocket fortress got randomized a Forretress... which gets one shot by flamethrower.

Second to last trainer of the tower, I barely beat Miltank with horsea, who then gets outsped by a Magby and gets KO'd by a not super effective move. Oof.

TALKING! TL;DR their whole plan for the radio tower was the assumption that Giovanni is out there training and would come back if they... called for him over the radio. Yeah...

Poor Bells gets one shot by I think Confusion. The rest go down fairly easily. These Rockets sure give up easily, I beat their leader and he disbands them. Makes me wonder why.

SO MUCH TALKING! TL;DR guy thanks me, gives me a Bell that was dug up from construction, says it could be used at the Tower in Ecruteak.
More specifically, the clear bell is a necessary item to be able to actually face Suicune and catch it. It's completely not needed for the plot, so I may not even bother going there.

On my way back down, I gain a few items by talking to people who thank us for saving them from the Rockets.

Til next time everyone, we'll go onward to the final Gym, or maybe go to that Tower, who knows.

I gave condensing the battles into one image in total a try, except for important battles/battles that give me trouble. What do you guys think?

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » September 18th, 2017, 8:48 pm

pholtos wrote:Session 17: Rocket Removal

Team Rocket sure are a bunch of Pansies.
I gave condensing the battles into one image in total a try, except for important battles/battles that give me trouble. What do you guys think?

It makes sense. Though it does make it more difficult to quote single frames like the rest of my post shows.
💙💙💙

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 19th, 2017, 2:49 am

Alice wrote:

It makes sense. Though it does make it more difficult to quote single frames like the rest of my post shows.

Yeah it's true, it's sorta a catch 22, I'd love to make it easier for myself editing-wise but at the same time it makes things hard to quote.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 19th, 2017, 3:02 am

Session 18: Tinterlude Tower

So I decided, what the heck, let's do this tin tower stuff before heading towards the last gym. So here we go.

There's gonna be a lotta talking this part, these monks love to talk. So since we got the clear bell, we can pass by this guy now.

Heading up a staircase to a hallway to another staircase to a trio of talkative monks. Oh joyous day.

As you can see by where I've ended up, I'm going to have to fight all three of these monks in a row. Fortunately, they all only have two pokemon a piece. Unfortunately for horsea, it was no match for a bat.

And a monk quotes his religion so that my eye witness account is incorrect over an ancient piece of text.

The second guy has a celebi... with ancient power. Oof. Took three mons to take it down.

Did I forget to mention how talkative these monks are? It's like I'm back in history class.

The third monk isn't too talkative. He also has a Kakuna. You go monk.

You'd think a trio tasked with protecting the legendary pokemon would be a little tougher, and have more than 2 pokemon a piece.

The Tin Tower, it's really tall.

Upon entering, we're greeted by the three legendary beasts. Raikou and Entei both leave through the front door like gentleman, and Suicune attacks us. All right Suicune, bring it on!

Observe as a bunch of my mons cannot stand up to the all mighty "Suicune".

The "Suicune's" confuse ray and bubblebeam can defeat any foe.

With the power of electricity and my own confuse ray, I at last defeat "Suicune".

How did you get here, stalker. Oh gah you're just as bad as the monks, stahp!

Til next time, we'll finally head past Mahogany town and head to the last town in Johto.

On a side note, I've decided to do Kanto, but won't do much coverage of inbetween cities as Kanto is severely gutted in these games. I'll mostly focus on where I go and the cities, and leave the rest out of it.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 19th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Session 19: Stop Motion Ice Theatre

Welcome back. After finishing off the Rockets for good and dealing with "Suicune" we're finally ready to progress past Mahogany town.

I have a slight worry I'm gonna be relying on Nease a bit more than the other mons as we progress. I might be wrong but he really can hit hard with iron tail.

ImageImage

Now that we're nearing the "end game" the game feels fit to start handing us really good stuff.

I find AI exceedingly hard to predict in the games, for some reason they just now at times what pokemon you're switching to and it's a pain. I was quite pleased to get it right for once.

I love that my Horsea can defeat these mighty dragons. (Although I do have quite a bit of a level advantage here...)

What kinda good trainer would run around using only smol completely unevolved pokemons? Honestly, no one would be silly enough to do that.

Am I sensing deja vu here or something. Didn't we just fight a trainer who basically said that exact same thing? Also, poor horsea loses to another mon during my journey. The poor thing.

I hope you don't mean that Ho-Oh thing that 50 trainers in this region seem to have, Mr. Carries around a Celebi.

We're half way there, give or take. Now comes the fun part.

So this cave has a gimmick. When you step on these ice tiles, you slide until you hit something. I'm trying my best to show it off here but it's sorta hard to emulate via pictures in a text LP.

First big sliding puzzle, not too difficult. We head out this way and...

Head past these stairs to find the last HM of the game. I fortunately have a mon that can learn it, as it's going to be necessary... exactly once.

Waterfall is actually pretty decent, it's an 80 BP move, so it's a good replacement for water gun.

On the next floor of the dungeon we find strength boulders, and holes. Now this may seem like a tough puzzle for some, but don't worry. I'm 10.

Ohhhh you push the boulders into the holes! Of course! See? I told you I knew what I was doing.

Four boulders, four holes. Push one in each and head on down.

Where we find a lovely potion.

And as you can see here, I totally meant to do this sliding puzzle incorrectly. Yep. Totally didn't know I was doing it wrong.

*cough*

Two more items, one curing any status and the other a hold item that powers up ice moves.

After the sliding puzzle and a short additional area later, we reach the next puzzle. As you can see, I am a master at these.

There was quite a selection of wild mons in this area, including a certain annoying legendary that's been causing me trouble recently... stupid Bellsprout.

Taking this route gets us another TM. Not particularly interested in rest, but it's an option.

Bah, item storage limits. Such a pain. Ah well, I'll probably have to do some spring cleaning sometime soon to prevent this from happening again.

Final sliding puzzle of the place, it's fairly compact and simple.

Let's make our strongest attacker even stronger in attacking. Good plan.

That feeling when you go the right way but you see you missed an item down a side path so you have to go back to get it, just RPG things.

And at last we've made it out of the Ice Path. Given that this is basically the only way to reach this city normally, I have no idea what this girl is talking about. Besides the Ice Path, you have the Dark Cave path, which is blocked by strength boulders, and the route below, which you can climb upwards.

Til next time guys, we'll get the last gym badge. Til then.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » September 19th, 2017, 10:44 pm

The ice cave is always really annoying to go through. The puzzles are fun but it's Pokemon and this is a cave. So the battles are way too frequent and constantly interrupt your puzzle solving every damned step of the way.
💙💙💙

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » September 19th, 2017, 11:40 pm

pholtos wrote:On a side note, I've decided to do Kanto, but won't do much coverage of inbetween cities as Kanto is severely gutted in these games. I'll mostly focus on where I go and the cities, and leave the rest out of it.

Give them credit, though; it's remarkable they managed to fit Kanto in at all :pwink: !

Also, hiya Image! I've been lurking in this thread for a bit, but I finally decided to post now.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 20th, 2017, 12:51 am

EarthPhantomTS wrote:Also, hiya Image! I've been lurking in this thread for a bit, but I finally decided to post now.

Hiya! Nice to see you're enjoying the journey. :3

pholtos

Postby pholtos » September 20th, 2017, 7:36 pm

Session 20: You're Dragon Me Down, Claire

Welcome back. Last time we made it through the Ice Path. Today we'll get the last badge and hopefully won't have to go on any random side adventures just to proceed.

Blackthorne is a really awkward to navigate city full of one way ledges. It also contains the move deleter's house, but I won't be using that. Despite this place being the town of dragons, that literally means four pokemon. Those would be dratini, dragonair, dragonite and kingdra. Which is sort of depressing if you think about it.

It's hard to be a dragon master if there's so few pokemon that are dragons, you know. So at this point, it's clear this gym is going to be all about dragons and the dragon type. Got it.

Is... is that... it's pasta sauce, that has to be pasta sauce. Why is your gym full of boiling pasta sauce? How is it boiling? Wouldn't it be bad if someone accidentally fell in? I have many questions.

The trainers in this gym hide the fact that there aren't many dragons by fighting me with non-dragons. Including a sunkern that simply fainted by my mere presence, so quickly that I couldn't even get a screenshot of it. It's not like I forgot to take a screenshot of it or anything.

Sokka sends out the mighty Caterpie to try to stop me... and fails horribly.

I fell down a hole right in front of this guy, who thinks he's invincible. He's not.

Yeah dude, it's like none of you use dragon type pokemon or something.

Pushing boulders all day long~

Dragons are so sacred they don't exist in this gym at all.

Ok, you've got to have a dragon, right? You're the dragon master. So... you have one, right?

Shuckle is not a dragon! Also, bide strats!

Cyndaquil is not a dragon! Also, horsea barely won, but I was really disadvantaged level wise so that's all right... MEW IS NOT A DRAGON.

Mew is also a pain to deal with given Sneasel can basically counter almost every pokemon in my team. :P

YOU DON'T HAVE A DRAGON, YOU LIAR! Also, barely winning even with type advantage!

Claire refuses to give me the gym badge given she realized she left her dragons at home. So she uses and excuse sending me on an errand so she can figure out where she left them.

It must be really boring being the elite four if no one can beat Claire, like do they just play cards together or something while they wait for no one to ever show up?

A pleasant surf behind the gym~

Oh.

This old man won't let you enter this place unless you get permission.

Upon entering a door, we're immediately challenged by a trainer. Sorta a rude beginning. Also, dude how could I enter uninvited with that dude blocking the cave entrance normally? Come on now.

I gave the calcium to Charmy by the way.

Man these trainers are rude, they all think I'm trespassing or something, even though I was told to come here. Could I then draw a conclusion that all dragon trainers are rude, and never carry dragons?

The cute duo thankfully were not rude, and had cute mons. Good.

The one required use of whirlpool. Yup.

As a note, this place really isn't that big. Lotsa water, not much land. This is the only building in the place, so it must be the destination.

Activate the automatic slow walking cycle!

So the test of the dragon master is literally... a test. Whelp. All right.

Pokemon are cutes.

In my case, I sorta need strategy at times to prevent my untimely demise at the hands of doofily stronger mons. :P

I don't really care and can't tell how strong a trainer is when I run across them so anyone.

The most important thing is to always snuggle your cutes.

I don't care if they're strong or weak, only if they are adorb.

Apparently my answers satisfied the guy.

Lotsa talking! Claire can't believe I passed her doofy side quest.

More talking! Claire gives me a dragon move TM.

And then walks away.

A slightly more powerful dragon move is always welcome on my dragon slayer.

The rest of the items of the area. Revive was actually a hidden item that I found given that stretch of land had literally nothing on it. Dragon fang I found out does nothing in this generation due to a glitch. Wonderful.

Upon leaving, Elm wants us to come by the Lab. I was going to anyway given I basically completed a giant donut around Johto.

Pleasant surfing adventures~

Oh.

My mons after 8 badges. We're closing in on the final stretch of Johto.

Til next time everyone, we'll travel to the Elite Four.

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”