Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

General off-topic stuffs goes here.
User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » September 7th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Glitch wrote:Man I love not having the energy to socialize. Want to post but can't. Great fun.

That's how I feel a lot of the time too. Especially early in the morning. (Er, my morning. Since my morning can be at literally any point in the day, lol.) Though I can usually find the energy to yell at stupid people saying stupid shit on my main forum. Which has happened constantly this last month to the point I've made a couple hundred posts in the last month alone. (And with how easy it is to get banned on that site I'm honestly a bit surprised I haven't gotten a ban for flaming or otherwise personal attacks. I'm pretty careful when criticizing someone to try to refrain from getting too personal but I tend to easily get frustrated by people digging their heels in when they're clearly wrong which results in me getting more inflammatory. I've managed to go almost three years now without a ban which is quite long for someone with as many posts as I have there.)
I'm enjoying being called male, even if my body doesn't match yet. (At the same time I don't for that reason.) I've been lazy about trying to find names to try out for myself irl, so I've been sticking with my birth name + female pronouns. I need to get off my ass and actually do that.

Other than the rare piece of male I get under the name Alice I only ever get referred to by my birth name and male pronouns irl myself. I just can't ever be bothered to try and correct people because all too often they take it personally and it just becomes a huge hassle. Which is part of the reason only one of my irl friends knows I'm transgender currently too. I just can't be bothered telling the others, not that I particularly go out of my way to hide it though. I always play female characters with the name Alice or some variation of that (Alice, Alice Cheshire, Alice Mikucup, or for Terraria I also use M.Alice) and my username on Steam has been Alice ⦂☽ for the past several years and so on. On top of that my closest irl friends have accounts here because we were using one of my hidden subforums to coordinate a D&D campaign, though plans eventually fell through for that. So they could easily read all the stuff I've posted about being transgender.
Even if there's still a small chance, I still hope you're gonna be okay.
I live in Saskatchewan, two provinces over from British Columbia, and a couple days a while ago it was smokey outside.

Can't we just take the water from Texas and put it on the fires? Problem solved!
(If only.)

Image
I think things are more or less under control now. From what the news has been saying, the firefighters seem to at least have contained the leading edge of the fire so it's no longer advancing towards the metro area. Of course this still leaves the forested edges to the east and south open but there's far fewer people to endanger in those directions.

The smoke really does suck though. Other than constant coughing fits the air is constantly very hazy, in the worst areas resembling those photos of highly polluted areas in China except grey instead of brown, and there's ash everywhere. The smoke is so thick that yesterday I went with my stepdad to his brother's house to help finish setting up a security system and I could look straight at the sun with no real issues. Despite having really sensitive eyes I barely even had to squint due to how dim it was.
💙💙💙
Image
Image

User avatar
Glitch
Posts: 1391
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 2:19 am
Location: the safety of Reinhardt's barrier
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Glitch » September 7th, 2017, 10:50 pm

Alice wrote:That's how I feel a lot of the time too. Especially early in the morning. (Er, my morning. Since my morning can be at literally any point in the day, lol.) Though I can usually find the energy to yell at stupid people saying stupid shit on my main forum. Which has happened constantly this last month to the point I've made a couple hundred posts in the last month alone. (And with how easy it is to get banned on that site I'm honestly a bit surprised I haven't gotten a ban for flaming or otherwise personal attacks. I'm pretty careful when criticizing someone to try to refrain from getting too personal but I tend to easily get frustrated by people digging their heels in when they're clearly wrong which results in me getting more inflammatory. I've managed to go almost three years now without a ban which is quite long for someone with as many posts as I have there.)

I'm never anywhere very function in the morning till my ritalin kicks in (usually pretty quick, about a half hour if I down my pills right when I get up, which I usually do). Heck, my mom even commented that I've been waking up quicker. But just... socializing takes so much some times, and I hate it. I like talking here, and other places, but the energy that goes into it... ugh. Hence why I also tend to make shorter posts and try to get my point across quickly.

Stupid people saying stupid shit need to be yelled at a lot, though.

Other than the rare piece of male I get under the name Alice I only ever get referred to by my birth name and male pronouns irl myself. I just can't ever be bothered to try and correct people because all too often they take it personally and it just becomes a huge hassle. Which is part of the reason only one of my irl friends knows I'm transgender currently too. I just can't be bothered telling the others, not that I particularly go out of my way to hide it though. I always play female characters with the name Alice or some variation of that (Alice, Alice Cheshire, Alice Mikucup, or for Terraria I also use M.Alice) and my username on Steam has been Alice ⦂☽ for the past several years and so on. On top of that my closest irl friends have accounts here because we were using one of my hidden subforums to coordinate a D&D campaign, though plans eventually fell through for that. So they could easily read all the stuff I've posted about being transgender.

I can understand that. I'm not gonna be really strict on my name/pronouns irl until I actually look the part. I'd rather not waste the energy with people who don't care or understand.
Up until now, I usually stuck with female characters (if it was a self-insert for say, Pokemon), but I usually end up playing males more often.
I'm glad I didn't have a lot of people to tell, though. Makes it hard to remember who I have told and who I haven't. Thankfully, everyone except for my dad knows. (My mom didn't want him to get distracted since he was so close to getting a job. Now that he has it, he'll be working 2 weeks with 1 week off to come back home. I'll tell him then.)

I think things are more or less under control now. From what the news has been saying, the firefighters seem to at least have contained the leading edge of the fire so it's no longer advancing towards the metro area. Of course this still leaves the forested edges to the east and south open but there's far fewer people to endanger in those directions.

The smoke really does suck though. Other than constant coughing fits the air is constantly very hazy, in the worst areas resembling those photos of highly polluted areas in China except grey instead of brown, and there's ash everywhere. The smoke is so thick that yesterday I went with my stepdad to his brother's house to help finish setting up a security system and I could look straight at the sun with no real issues. Despite having really sensitive eyes I barely even had to squint due to how dim it was.

Ah, good to hear. Hopefully they'll stop soon. ;;

The smoke was back today. Not really bad, but it definitely caused me to cough. At least I'm fine inside.
Having smoke that thick sounds scary.
Image
Image
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

User avatar
EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat
Posts: 1462
Joined: December 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Location: In Tiamat's boobs

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby EarthPhantomTS » September 8th, 2017, 2:14 am

I don't have much to add, except I'm pretty much the exact same way as you two. Except that Ritalin would be a bad idea for me (why? I have my reasons, and my right to privacy), and I'm still not sure what my family thinks of me being a girl. I mean, it's weird: they know, they just don't really care either way. And it's not like me to really push for it, either.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Image
Yes, she's still my wifey

User avatar
Glitch
Posts: 1391
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 2:19 am
Location: the safety of Reinhardt's barrier
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Glitch » September 8th, 2017, 5:52 am

EarthPhantomTS wrote:I don't have much to add, except I'm pretty much the exact same way as you two. Except that Ritalin would be a bad idea for me (why? I have my reasons, and my right to privacy), and I'm still not sure what my family thinks of me being a girl. I mean, it's weird: they know, they just don't really care either way. And it's not like me to really push for it, either.

Understandable. My psychiatrist put me on it to help with my lack of energy and dodgy focus, and I will say, it's helped a decent amount. Hasn't solved all my problems (definitely not my energy one), but it really does help with my focus most days, and makes the bad days a bit more tolerable.
If you do ever decide to transition, if I'm not mistaken, a step to physically transitioning is having to socially transition. But if you don't want to force it, that's your choice, and not my business to push it.
Image
Image
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

User avatar
Glitch
Posts: 1391
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 2:19 am
Location: the safety of Reinhardt's barrier
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Glitch » September 13th, 2017, 9:52 pm

So last week I started a program for overweight people to work with a personal trainer and go to the gym five times a week. It's been going fine (minus the fact that cramps cut my work outs short twice last week), except this week.
Yesterday my mom (my work out buddy) and I had to call out because we had a client at the same time we go to the gym, and our washing machine crapped out late last week so we had to go buy a used one since laundry's piling up. Turns out we couldn't go to work anyway because my mom sat on the toilet that morning and a wasp bit her under her butt, and bending over and doing general cleaning movements hurt a lot. Rescheduled the client, still had to go get a new washer, which ended up going well as the store we went to had 25% off the entire store, so that was alright (190 dollars for a used washing machine in decent condition? yes please!). Last night, my throat was a bit sore, but I thought it was either just the smoke lately or me rubbing my palette again because of my allergies, so I brushed it off.
Woke up this morning, throat was more sore and felt okay overall, but as I got closer to the time we had to go to the gym, I was starting to feel worse, so I had to call out today, too. I'm more annoyed cause I was looking forward to actually going today. Hoping to go tomorrow, depending on how I feel. Either way, I'll make up the days I missed on the weekend.
Image
Image
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » September 16th, 2017, 10:12 am

I'm replaying the first Danganronpa while waiting for DR3 to release. I've noticed a few interesting things. Spoilering them for people who haven't played:
Just going to copy+paste a fair bit of this since I already said it to a friend throguh Steam:
8:35 PM - Alice ⦂☽: Huh, taht's an interesting thing to note. So apparently it's canon that Mukuro actually liked Makoto. When mr. stick up his ass (I can't remember his name) [Kiyotaka as I later found out] calls Makoto out for being tardy mukuro (masquerading as Junko of course) is the one who comes to his defense.
8:48 PM - Alice ⦂☽: Also it's kinda interesting to see the pairings during the intros. Toko is the only survivor from the first set with both Leon and Sayaka (who he murders) being in the grouping. The second group includes Hina and Kyouko as well as Mondo and Chihiro who he murders. It also includes Mukuro as Junko.
9:19 PM - Alice ⦂☽: I just realized something. The Hope's Peak logo contains the design for Monokuma's left eye.
9:20 PM - Alice ⦂☽: Image
See what I mean? [I later went back and verified this too. It's the same logo as the game's intro which is from when Makoto was actually first going to Hope's Peak]
1:42 AM - Alice ⦂☽: Lol, I just realized something. Monokuma keeps trying to point out Makoto was unlucky to get the room with a screwed up door frame but in context it was incredibly lucky. The door frame combined with Sayaka herself being the one who suggested Makoto keep that shitty sword in his room are two of the biggest reasons Makoto ended up clearing his name in the first case.

There's also actually a lot of subtle stuff you'd very easily miss if you don't already know what's going on and the personalities of each character. For example a lot of people already know that spending time with Junko!Mukuro before her untimely death results in a lot of fairly strong hints about her being Mukuro, though at that point in time you're not intended to know about Mukuro at all. But her actions in general, even outside free time interactions, subtly hint about her real identity. For example there's the bit I mentioned up above. And a few times she speaks in a way that would seem totally normal if you underthink it but in context makes a ton of sense for her in particular to be focused on. Most notably regarding surviving. Her specific choice in wording comes across subtly as being out of experience, ie: from being on many battlefields.

You can also pretty easily see Sayaka setting up Makoto (though that one was fairly obvious to me to begin with honestly), as well as Leon's guilt. (Though for me I'd managed to somehow overlook the 11037 thing actually being "Leon" my first play anyways iirc. He's the quickest to shift blame to Makoto though and he's fairly insidious about it too. He starts out being fairly subtle about it really.) Celeste's true nature is even more obvious as well and the fact Mondo is the chapter 2 killer is fairly obvious before he commits it. Everyone else is still trying to get over the deaths of their classmates and trying to get at least some sense of normalcy in their lives while he's freaking out about how complacent they're being.

During the first class trial there's also a weird amount of foreshadowing about there actually being 16 students. It'd be stupidly easy to overlook on your first go though because you wouldn't yet be used to carefully examining the things Monokuma says. When he's asked why there's slots for 16 students he nonchalantly states (paraphrased) "no reason, the room was just built to support 16 students if necessary". And of course the empty slot is the one directly in front of Monokuma and it clearly corresponds to Junko since the slot everyone thinks was Junko's is in fact Mukuro's.

And that's just stuff I noticed from the game's intro up through the exploration of floor 2 at the beginning of the second chapter.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


Speedless
Posts: 134
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 12:11 am
Location: Seeking eating

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Speedless » September 17th, 2017, 5:06 am

Since the "favorite Pokemon of each type" template image has been going around recently, I figured I'd try out the Favorite Pokemon Picker's new filtering options and see what my choices would be. Most of the results would probably be no surprise to anyone who remembers what I've said about ranking Pokemon in the past, but I managed to surprise myself with my pick for the Steel type--Solgaleo. A legendary.

Usually, I tend to favor Pokemon that I've actually used--and Articuno is the only legendary I've ever used seriously, in a grand total of one game. I guess Solgaleo's cool robot sun lion aesthetic and its role in Sun's plot are enough for it to overcome that disadvantage with me.

User avatar
EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat
Posts: 1462
Joined: December 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Location: In Tiamat's boobs

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby EarthPhantomTS » September 18th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Well, I'm glad I checked Twitter today...just saw that Horikawa (yeah, I know...I have a love/hate view of her though, somewhere in between how many Talkhausers see her and how most of you see her...kinda like how I see Sir Gilgamesh, actually...and Lady Ishtar, for that matter Image...but I digress) posted a tweet sharing excitement about Avernum 3: Ruined World. You know, the third entry in one of my favorite series'? And what many people who are long-time fans say is the best in the series? Seems like it's finally about to be released. So, yay, I'm excited for that Image!
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Image
Yes, she's still my wifey


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » September 20th, 2017, 12:13 am

Alice wrote:I'm replaying the first Danganronpa while waiting for DR3 to release. I've noticed a few interesting things. Spoilering them for people who haven't played:
Just going to copy+paste a fair bit of this since I already said it to a friend throguh Steam:
8:35 PM - Alice ⦂☽: Huh, taht's an interesting thing to note. So apparently it's canon that Mukuro actually liked Makoto. When mr. stick up his ass (I can't remember his name) [Kiyotaka as I later found out] calls Makoto out for being tardy mukuro (masquerading as Junko of course) is the one who comes to his defense.
8:48 PM - Alice ⦂☽: Also it's kinda interesting to see the pairings during the intros. Toko is the only survivor from the first set with both Leon and Sayaka (who he murders) being in the grouping. The second group includes Hina and Kyouko as well as Mondo and Chihiro who he murders. It also includes Mukuro as Junko.
9:19 PM - Alice ⦂☽: I just realized something. The Hope's Peak logo contains the design for Monokuma's left eye.
9:20 PM - Alice ⦂☽: Image
See what I mean? [I later went back and verified this too. It's the same logo as the game's intro which is from when Makoto was actually first going to Hope's Peak]
1:42 AM - Alice ⦂☽: Lol, I just realized something. Monokuma keeps trying to point out Makoto was unlucky to get the room with a screwed up door frame but in context it was incredibly lucky. The door frame combined with Sayaka herself being the one who suggested Makoto keep that shitty sword in his room are two of the biggest reasons Makoto ended up clearing his name in the first case.

There's also actually a lot of subtle stuff you'd very easily miss if you don't already know what's going on and the personalities of each character. For example a lot of people already know that spending time with Junko!Mukuro before her untimely death results in a lot of fairly strong hints about her being Mukuro, though at that point in time you're not intended to know about Mukuro at all. But her actions in general, even outside free time interactions, subtly hint about her real identity. For example there's the bit I mentioned up above. And a few times she speaks in a way that would seem totally normal if you underthink it but in context makes a ton of sense for her in particular to be focused on. Most notably regarding surviving. Her specific choice in wording comes across subtly as being out of experience, ie: from being on many battlefields.

You can also pretty easily see Sayaka setting up Makoto (though that one was fairly obvious to me to begin with honestly), as well as Leon's guilt. (Though for me I'd managed to somehow overlook the 11037 thing actually being "Leon" my first play anyways iirc. He's the quickest to shift blame to Makoto though and he's fairly insidious about it too. He starts out being fairly subtle about it really.) Celeste's true nature is even more obvious as well and the fact Mondo is the chapter 2 killer is fairly obvious before he commits it. Everyone else is still trying to get over the deaths of their classmates and trying to get at least some sense of normalcy in their lives while he's freaking out about how complacent they're being.

During the first class trial there's also a weird amount of foreshadowing about there actually being 16 students. It'd be stupidly easy to overlook on your first go though because you wouldn't yet be used to carefully examining the things Monokuma says. When he's asked why there's slots for 16 students he nonchalantly states (paraphrased) "no reason, the room was just built to support 16 students if necessary". And of course the empty slot is the one directly in front of Monokuma and it clearly corresponds to Junko since the slot everyone thinks was Junko's is in fact Mukuro's.

And that's just stuff I noticed from the game's intro up through the exploration of floor 2 at the beginning of the second chapter.

Finished DR1 and decided to replay DR2 now since there's still a week before DR3's release. Took a detour first, however, and finally got around to playing through Danganronpa:IF. It starts out a bit boring but overall it's well written and is a good insight into (DR1 spoilers)  Junko and Mukuro's relationship and also resulted in Mukuro getting added to my list of favorite characters in the series along with Kyoko, Sakura, Ibuki, and Komaru.  And additional spoilers but I'm not actually certain where these are described in the series, I'd assume DR3, because I accidentally got spoiled on them:  The way her abilities get described in action in IF makes it fairly clear that there's only two primary differences between Mukuro and Junko. The first is that while Mukuro is by no means stupid she's not particularly intellectual while Junko is fairly intelligent in comparison. The second is that Junko fetishizes despair while Mukuro doesn't. In fact IF makes it fairly clear that Mukuro doesn't give two shits about hope or dspair. The only reason she's done the things she's done is simply because she wanted to make her little sister happy, which she's intelligent enough to realize is something only possible through causing her to despair.  And back to just DR1 and slight IF spoilers, though the IF ones aren't too major really:  It also makes it fairly clear that despite how overly abusive Junko is of Mukuro she does still love her sister, albeit in her own twisted way. For someone who fetishizes despair the way Junko does, abusing her sister and causing her to despair is a good thing. As is the unceremonious betrayal and death dealt to Mukuro which caused the both of them to despair. Though it's made fairly clear, if you read between the lines, that Mukuro's death did serve a purpose. If you note Mukuro's thoughts on the occurrences in IF combined with Junko clearly being aware of why it happened and even explaining she'd been aware of it for a long time it's clear that Mukuro's death in the main storyline served the purpose of preventing her from interfering with Junko's plans which was actually pretty likely to happen. 

Overall I highly recommend giving IF a read (you unlock it after finishing DR2) if you have a couple hours to spare. Took me a bit over two hours myself.

Also the post-credits scene actually makes it abundantly clear that the events of DR2 and possibly even Ultra Despair Girls had been generally laid out before the conclusion of the first game. When you beat DR1 you'd have no idea how that scene can happen but if you beat DR2 then think about it, it should become clear. Even more so when you consider (DR1 spoilers again)  Chihiro was able to create Alter Ego in a few days with an old outdated laptop so it's incredibly likely that before the events of DR1, during the two years of memories he lost, that he'd already accomplished this in the past to begin with and since Junko was the one in control she'd have been in a perfect position to abuse his accomplishments in preparation for UDG and DR2. 

One other thing I accidentally got spoiled on. I don't know if this one is a DR3 spoiler or not either but it's just relevant to DR2 anyways so I'd personally class it as a DR2 spoiler myself:  Chiaki's presence in DR2 is much sadder than it would appear. The events of DR2 don't even hint at this as far as I'm aware but the spoiler I stumbled across actually explained it. Chiaki was originally a real person. With the exception of Hajime the DR2 cast came from the same class at Hope's Peak and she was their class rep. She also just so happened to be good friends with Hajime. Anyways, part of Junko's plans to bring about the Tragedy included the creation of the group Ultimate Despair. Chiaki's death is the linchpin in her success there. Junko captured Chiaki and forced her to run through a labyrinth full of traps while the rest of her classmates watched only to eventually die which caused them all to sink into despair. Chiaki's presence in DR2 is apparently something they had requested themselves because they wanted to see Chiaki again, even if it was as an AI. There's a few other details relevant here but those ones I know for certain are DR3 spoilers so I won't bother going over them. Unfortunately one of them ended up being a fairly big DR3 spoiler which is disappointing but it still doesn't explain things enough to ruin the game so oh well. 
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » September 21st, 2017, 1:30 pm

Not really a spoiler so much as an easter egg but I found this on the third island (in the  cinema ) in DR2:
Image
I missed it on my first playthrough because I was far too busy not even knowing Ultra Despair Girls existed but that's Komaru, the protagonist of UDG, with the Future Foundation hacking gun she uses throughout the game.

So as it turns out, Komaru appears in DR1 and DR2 as well as starring in UDG. She's featured in Makoto's video in the first chapter of DR1 as well.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon
Posts: 1949
Joined: December 29th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Location: Ashtree

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » September 23rd, 2017, 9:45 pm

wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » September 26th, 2017, 3:18 am

Well that's a pleasant surprise. At some point it looks like Valve changed the unlock time for games. It used to be 9-10am pst but now it seems to be midnight at the start of release day. Danganronpa 3's unlock time is currently reported as "approximately 3 hours" when it's 8:20pm pst. I was expecting it to unlock around the time I went to bed instead, lol.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » September 26th, 2017, 8:20 am

Playing DR3 (because why the hell would I not) and I do have one complaint so far. It's a complaint about settings though. Visual settings can only be modified through the launcher which isn't the default option. On top of this the display settings are a bit wonky. They have both window size and resolution options. Resolution is the actual rendering resolution while window size is the actual size of the game window. Window size is only really relevant for windowed mode or bordeless fullscreen mode. I play Danganronpa in borderless fullscreen at 2560x1440 resolution. However when borderless fullscreen is selected you cannot change the resolution option which defaults to something like 640x480. I had to play through the intro until I could save in order to test this idea but if you switch to fullscreen mode you can change your resolution (I tried 4k because it goes straight from 1080p to 4k and skips over 1440p, though this worked out because my computer seems to handle it just fine and the textures are high enough resolution I actually benefit from it) then switch back to borderless fullscreen and it works. Kinda a wonky issue to have which hopefully gets fixed soon.

Edit: Actually make that two minor complaints but the other one is just a wonky borderline nonissue too. For some reason the pause menu takes a lot longer to open than you'd expect.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


Speedless
Posts: 134
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 12:11 am
Location: Seeking eating

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Speedless » September 26th, 2017, 9:49 am

Alice wrote:Visual settings can only be modified through the launcher which isn't the default option.


Ah yes, settings being separate from the actual game. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed does that too, with a completely separate configuration tool for graphics and controls and stuff. And then if you need to reconfigure anything, you need to get rid of a file that contains some old settings, or the configuration program won't even open! Doesn't cause any trouble once you're prepared to leave the settings the way they are, at least.

(I forget if I've ever mentioned that game here before, but I adore it. It quite nicely scratched the CTR itch QubicTom's LP gave me. Might be even better if you actually use a gamepad...)

Edit: Actually make that two minor complaints but the other one is just a wonky borderline nonissue too. For some reason the pause menu takes a lot longer to open than you'd expect.


That time can add up pretty fast. Breeding Pokemon in Reborn involves a lot of going in and out of the party and Bag menus to check stats and swap around items. I never want to see another half-second fadeout again. :tstick:

User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » September 26th, 2017, 5:59 pm

I have to say the first trial (which I only finally finished after ten hours logged in the game...) pissed me off more than I think any other trial in DR1 or DR2. I can't actually elaborate though because despite being the first trial it contains a very major spoiler. Even the chapter 2/4 trials in DR1 as well as the final class trial in conjunction with solving a murder in DR2 didn't piss me off nearly as badly as this one did. And all three of those pissed me off quite a bit. In all three of them someone died who seriously did not deserve to. And in two of those cases it's because they got charged as the Blackened due to stupid bullshit from Monokuma.
Speedless wrote:Ah yes, settings being separate from the actual game. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed does that too, with a completely separate configuration tool for graphics and controls and stuff. And then if you need to reconfigure anything, you need to get rid of a file that contains some old settings, or the configuration program won't even open! Doesn't cause any trouble once you're prepared to leave the settings the way they are, at least.

That sounds like it's annoying. Thankfully this one is just a bit wonky and seems kinda like an oversight on the part of the devs so it'll hopefully get fixed quickly.
That time can add up pretty fast. Breeding Pokemon in Reborn involves a lot of going in and out of the party and Bag menus to check stats and swap around items. I never want to see another half-second fadeout again. :tstick:

It doesn't appear to be on purpose here. In the other Danganronpa games it opens immediately plus it's in fact inconsistent here. Sometimes it opens immediately and sometimes it'll take a second or three. Thankfully going in and out of the menu constantly aren't too big a concern in the Danganronpa games. Usually the most common times to do so would be during free time (usually for the map though DR3 has a superior map outside the menu one now) or when looking through truth bullets for investigations. Normally the only necessary time to go over those though is at the beginning of the class trial or during it. Both of which aren't an issue.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » September 28th, 2017, 5:35 pm

I had a really odd issue today in DR3. I had 21 hours logged in the game so far. Other than the issues I've previously complained about and the occasional frame drop (though playing at 4k render size that's to be expected anyways) I'd had no issues with the game at all. Today though I start playing and get three crashes in an hour. The only thing I've been able to come up with is that there's an issue with movement and switching areas. Up until now I've almost always been walking rather than running in order to look for the hidden Monokumas (of which by the end of chapter 3 I've found the first 4/5 in each freaking chapter and always miss the final one...) but today I was doing a lot more running around in order to just navigate. The issue was always related to running through an area quickly and then transferring to another. Once I stopped running though there was no problems and haven't had a crash since. The only thing I can come up with is that somehow I managed to keep triggering an area transfer as it was trying to load a resource in or something and that caused some sort of inconsistency the game couldn't adequately resolve.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat
Posts: 1462
Joined: December 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Location: In Tiamat's boobs

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby EarthPhantomTS » September 28th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:Earth, you might like this: http://sumerianlanguage.tumblr.com/post ... 5%88inanna


While I definitely agree that this is, as a whole, awesome, I should note that there are a few...nitpicks...I have, that unfortunately can result in people who notice these things throwing the whole post out wholesale even though the main point is quite unrelated. Namely, the part where the author said Lady Ishtar went to Irkalla to save/pull out/whatever Dumuzi...that's not true. That was a misunderstanding caused by early Sumerologists not having access to the tablet that gives the reason Lord Dumuzi died in the first place. And...well...if you're gonna argue in favor of a...frankly...controversial stance, you need to get the verifiable, fact-based parts right or you risk your audience foolishly rejecting your argument wholesale.

Also, I'm not so sure about the bit where EarthMoonLotus asserted that the whole "and it was a curse" bit was a complete fabrication. I mean, it's quite feasible that modern people as a whole foolishly read that into the passage because Abrahamic-shit, but by the same token, it's quite possible that EarthMoonLotus is the one with the agenda-ridden misinterpretation. Sadly, the latter is the simpler idea (since it's just one person who's clearly pro-LGBT rather than much of the academic community who could have collective biases, but might have peer review as a check against this sort of thing)

...Not that I expect many of the people who need to hear about this to be convinced by this sort of thing anyway (Abrahamics, mainly, who would just take this as further proof that Lady Ishtar is a demoness) :tundecided:
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Image
Yes, she's still my wifey


User avatar
EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat
Posts: 1462
Joined: December 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Location: In Tiamat's boobs

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby EarthPhantomTS » September 30th, 2017, 6:44 pm

After re-watching the intro to La-Mulana, I was wondering...could that game be based on Sitchen's...umm..."theories"...about the nature of the Mesopotamian pantheon? Certainly, the game makes reference to the ideas presented in crazy works like Daniken's "Chariots of the Gods" and Sitchen's "Lost Book of Enki", even if only to poke fun at them, but I'm thinking the Mother might actually be meant to be the type of deity presented in those books :surprise: .

Heh heh...neat Image!
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Image
Yes, she's still my wifey


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » September 30th, 2017, 8:43 pm

I finally beat Danganronpa V3. It was certainly interesting. The final class trial gets... Weird. And that's really not even coming remotely close to doing it justice. Any elaboration would be massive spoilers but it was one of the strangest gaming experiences I've gone through. Took 48 hours though on the hardest difficulty. And I even got all A rankings except for chapter 3 or chapter 4 where I got a B ranking. Still got stuff to do however. I unlocked two new thins on the main menu I haven't gotten a chance to actually check out because I stayed up a bit late to even finish it to begin with but there's also still one thing on the main menu that's locked.

There's also one purchasable item that's still locked. I've got all the gallery stuff unlocked and purchased though with the exception of the intimacy events as they're called. Unlike the previous games each event for a relationship unlocks an associated gallery item which looks to be replaying that specific event. And there's 5 each for 16 characters plus there's two versions of each of those. Then there's some optional ones as well. I think I actually managed to get all the hidden scenes but there's some other ones which require purchasing a rather expensive item and that one looks to have 2 scenes per character (which, I'd assume, one each for two of them) which I unlocked a decent amount of but far from all. I also failed to get all the hidden Monokumas. I missed the fifth one in the first three chapters due to where the fifth one always seems to be located. I also missed one in chapter 5 as well as two in the final chapter. (Though to be fair one of the ones I missed there was a literal miss. I had one shot to get it and missed it because I saw it too late to grab it.)

Can't really say much more than that though. Basically every relevant point I'd want to discuss involves rather massive spoilers. Though I can at least say that Kaede is definitely one of my favorite characters in the series. The series could seriously do with more characters like her. She's kinda like Ibuki from DR2 but not as flashy, doesn't have her head in the clouds, isn't quite as eccentric, and is not only very determined but also very defiant towards Monokuma. So my list has expanded to Kyoko, Sakura, and Mukuro from DR1, Ibuki from DR2, Komaru from UDG, and now Kaede from DR3. Now that I look at it, it's interesting how they all seem to have a K in their name, lol.

Edit: Oh yeah. One other thing I can say without spoiling anything (at least if I don't elaborate): I' can confidently say the first chapter of the game pissed me off more than any single event in the rest of the series. There's more to it than that but that would actually involve major spoilers.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Glitch
Posts: 1391
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 2:19 am
Location: the safety of Reinhardt's barrier
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Glitch » October 1st, 2017, 2:02 am

Man, while the gym program has been really good for me (helps to have to be there or get kicked out), it's really been eating away at what energy I have. Exercising for an hour five days a week doesn't sound like a lot, but god it can be. As you've seen I really haven't been posting much, even if I want to. I'm hoping once my body adjusts to this, it'll make it easier and give me some more energy to actually do stuff.
And, y'know, keep me fit, have me drop weight, etc.

Alice wrote:DRv3 stuff

That reminds me. I should go torrent totally buy the game. It sounds interesting and I liked the first two games well enough (will never forgive the first game for killing off my waifu Sakura though).
Image
Image
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » October 1st, 2017, 7:40 am

Glitch wrote:Man, while the gym program has been really good for me (helps to have to be there or get kicked out), it's really been eating away at what energy I have. Exercising for an hour five days a week doesn't sound like a lot, but god it can be. As you've seen I really haven't been posting much, even if I want to. I'm hoping once my body adjusts to this, it'll make it easier and give me some more energy to actually do stuff.
And, y'know, keep me fit, have me drop weight, etc.

An hour a day, five days per week is actually quite a bit when you think about how long most people are up in a given day. Most people are only up for 14-16 hours. So it's actually a rather notable part of your day.
That reminds me. I should go torrent totally buy the game. It sounds interesting and I liked the first two games well enough (will never forgive the first game for killing off my waifu Sakura though).

Sakura is one of those characters whose death pisses me off but makes sense in context. She was definitely one of my favorite characters in the first game though.

I definitely recommend the game though. There are some details I'd like to point out but those require going over endgame spoilers in order to address so I really can't. However those details aren't necessarily bad anyways. Just something that would be important to take note of.

Oh yeah, I will make a comment on one of the new systems though. DR3 introduces the ability to lie in order to advance a case. Usually this is a required detail in order to advance past something everyone's caught up on but which you don't have direct evidence to refute. For example there's a few times where everyone's caught up on something that would seem ironclad until you examine other seemingly unrelated evidence. The other evidence usually doesn't directly refute it either. Past the first few times it's typically up to you to figure out when to lie but the really interesting part of lying is back routes. Back routes involve advancing a case through lying when it wasn't necessary. I accidentally got one during my go through the game because at that point I just could not figure out what evidence they wanted me to present nor where to present it because all of my evidence seemed totally irrelevant to all the points being made during the debate. With the exception of using one specific piece of evidence to lie at a certain point. I actually wasn't eve certain at this point that you could lie without the game saying you had to but it worked and I accidentally found one of two back routes in that case.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Glitch
Posts: 1391
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 2:19 am
Location: the safety of Reinhardt's barrier
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Glitch » October 1st, 2017, 10:01 pm

Alice wrote:An hour a day, five days per week is actually quite a bit when you think about how long most people are up in a given day. Most people are only up for 14-16 hours. So it's actually a rather notable part of your day.

Yeah, once you actually think about it, it is a lot. Just giving it a quick pass over doesn't sound like a lot.

Sakura is one of those characters whose death pisses me off but makes sense in context. She was definitely one of my favorite characters in the first game though.

Forgot to mention that. Makes sense in context.
STILL MAKES ME SAD

I definitely recommend the game though. There are some details I'd like to point out but those require going over endgame spoilers in order to address so I really can't. However those details aren't necessarily bad anyways. Just something that would be important to take note of.

Oh yeah, I will make a comment on one of the new systems though. DR3 introduces the ability to lie in order to advance a case. Usually this is a required detail in order to advance past something everyone's caught up on but which you don't have direct evidence to refute. For example there's a few times where everyone's caught up on something that would seem ironclad until you examine other seemingly unrelated evidence. The other evidence usually doesn't directly refute it either. Past the first few times it's typically up to you to figure out when to lie but the really interesting part of lying is back routes. Back routes involve advancing a case through lying when it wasn't necessary. I accidentally got one during my go through the game because at that point I just could not figure out what evidence they wanted me to present nor where to present it because all of my evidence seemed totally irrelevant to all the points being made during the debate. With the exception of using one specific piece of evidence to lie at a certain point. I actually wasn't eve certain at this point that you could lie without the game saying you had to but it worked and I accidentally found one of two back routes in that case.

Yeah, leave spoilery stuff for now. I look forward to playing it! The lying is going to be interesting.
Image
Image
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

User avatar
Glitch
Posts: 1391
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 2:19 am
Location: the safety of Reinhardt's barrier
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Glitch » October 1st, 2017, 10:08 pm

Double post because I forgot to post earlier: saw my psych earlier this week, told him I was trans. He doesn't specialize in trans stuff, so he sent off a referral to the lady in my city who deals with trans people, but he did warn me he thought she didn't have any openings... and turned out to be right. There is another trans psychiatrist in the city two hours from my city. So, by the time I assume everything goes according to plan with no problems, two hours there and back (could be up to two and a half, I don't remember offhand), another hour-ish in the city... it's a five hour trip bare minimum. Just to fucking transition.
My car is pretty fuel efficient, so it wouldn't take more than a tank of gas to get there and back with travel in the city. I don't know when the trans psychiatrist in my city will be open again. I probably only have to go see them every few months, and could get everything else in my city. I want to transition as soon as I can (as of writing this my (tmi in spoiler)  period  came which reminded me how much more I hate dealing with it and my pcos), and that I want to get started on hormones because I know it'll take time to transition... just, ugh. It's really left me in a rock and a hard place here. I told them to give me a few days to think about it but it's like... what the fuck am I supposed to do.
Image
Image
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

User avatar
EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat
Posts: 1462
Joined: December 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Location: In Tiamat's boobs

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby EarthPhantomTS » October 2nd, 2017, 2:53 am

Hey guys, ever wanted to know what my favorite dreams looked like? Well, they look kinda like this:

Image

Yeah, that's one of my biggest role models having a wonderful dream of being an evil giantess Image! And yes, as I mentioned, I've literally had dreams like this, and they were some of the most pleasant dreams I've ever had Image Image (look at some of my posts in the Dream thread)!

Glitch wrote:Double post because I forgot to post earlier: saw my psych earlier this week, told him I was trans. He doesn't specialize in trans stuff, so he sent off a referral to the lady in my city who deals with trans people, but he did warn me he thought she didn't have any openings... and turned out to be right. There is another trans psychiatrist in the city two hours from my city. So, by the time I assume everything goes according to plan with no problems, two hours there and back (could be up to two and a half, I don't remember offhand), another hour-ish in the city... it's a five hour trip bare minimum. Just to fucking transition.
My car is pretty fuel efficient, so it wouldn't take more than a tank of gas to get there and back with travel in the city. I don't know when the trans psychiatrist in my city will be open again. I probably only have to go see them every few months, and could get everything else in my city. I want to transition as soon as I can (as of writing this my (tmi in spoiler)  period  came which reminded me how much more I hate dealing with it and my pcos), and that I want to get started on hormones because I know it'll take time to transition... just, ugh. It's really left me in a rock and a hard place here. I told them to give me a few days to think about it but it's like... what the fuck am I supposed to do.


Ugh, what a drag. Well, at least you're accepted for who you are, right? May Lady Ishtar watch over you. Both of us, actually :tsmiles: .
Last edited by EarthPhantomTS on October 2nd, 2017, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Image
Yes, she's still my wifey


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » October 2nd, 2017, 7:48 am

Glitch wrote:Forgot to mention that. Makes sense in context.
STILL MAKES ME SAD

Yeah. It's kinda the same for me with  Ibuki getting murdered by Mikan  in DR2. Another time where one of my favorite characters gets murdered but it makes sense in context. In fact it's true for 3/5 of my favorite pre-DR3 characters. The other two manage to survive. (Kyoko, Sakura, Mukuro, Komaru, and Ibuki. I'll let you work out which is which there.)
Yeah, leave spoilery stuff for now. I look forward to playing it! The lying is going to be interesting.

I think you'll enjoy it. The ending though is really freaking weird. One of the strangest things I've seen in a game and manages to out-weird even the ending of DR2 which was pretty out there itself.

Also the bonus mode stuff is pretty interesting. I'll spoiler it in case you want what it contains to be a surprise, though I don't think revealing what it is would be too big a deal honestly.
There's three bonus modes you unlock. There's your standard relationship free mode one. Then the other two are actually closely related. The first is called Ultimate Training Mode or something like that. You choose a character and take them through this boardgame representation of three years at Hope's Peak Academy. You level them up and gain skills for them for use in the other mode. The other mode is an rpg with a 50 floor dungeon. You use up to four characters you've taken through the previous mode to advance through the dungeon to defeat Monokuma.

It's kinda interesting though. You get all the students from DR1, DR2, and DR3. On top of that you also get Monokuma for DR1 and both Usami and Monomi for DR2. Though you only start with DR3 characters. On top of this each character has three ranks. N, S, and U. What these mean doesn't actually seem to be addressed anywhere but I'm assuming they stand for Normal, Super, and Ultimate. I can't access U-rank cards yet so I can't tell what the difference between them and the other ranks is yet but the difference between N-rank and S-rank cards is that  S-rank cards get double the effect from spots they land on during the boardgame. So landing on a growth spot gives two levels instead of one and a double growth spot gives four instead of two. 

Getting the cards is kinda annoying though.  A card costs 100G and you start out with a 99% chance of getting an N-rank card and 1% chance of an S-rank. Currently I've ranked the machine up by one rank which changes that to 97% and 3%. I've managed to get most of the ones I wanted. Though getting Kaede's S-rank card was a complete and utter pain. I'd gotten the S-rank cards for literally every other DR3 character, many of which I'd gotten 4+ times, before finally getting hers. I did however get Mukuro and Sakura easily though so that helps. I'm still missing Ibuki but I'm considering skipping her for now and going for Kyoko instead which I already have. And the reason for that is card types. 

Cards are split into three types. Physical, intellectual, and variety. Mukuro and Sakura are both physical types. Ibuki and Kaede are both variety types. Kyoko on the other hand is an intellectual type. Physical types are basically like fighters from your typical rpg. Intellectual types are more or less mages. Though you can build them how you specifically want really. Variety types are a bit more complicated though. They're alright for physical attacks but variety type skills tend to be buffs and debuffs. Iirc healing and focus absorption (focus being the game's equivalent of mana and influence being hp) are both variety type skills.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon
Posts: 1949
Joined: December 29th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Location: Ashtree

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 2nd, 2017, 7:36 pm

I was reading a Spiegel article on today's tragedy, and man, it's refreshing when the media manages to both be basically objective and not pull any punches. I can't think of the last time a respectible paper called Alex Jones a conspiracy theorist instead of the euphemistic "radio personality". Or called this kind of thing an act of terror instead of a 'lone wolf' incident.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic


User avatar
EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat
Posts: 1462
Joined: December 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Location: In Tiamat's boobs

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby EarthPhantomTS » October 2nd, 2017, 10:15 pm

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:I was reading a Spiegel article on today's tragedy, and man, it's refreshing when the media manages to both be basically objective and not pull any punches. I can't think of the last time a respectible paper called Alex Jones a conspiracy theorist instead of the euphemistic "radio personality". Or called this kind of thing an act of terror instead of a 'lone wolf' incident.


I know I probably shouldn't ask you in particular, but...what was the motive? What the hell was that guy trying to do? Is it something guaranteed to make me groan? Or angry? Or sad? Or all of those?
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Image
Yes, she's still my wifey


User avatar
Glitch
Posts: 1391
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 2:19 am
Location: the safety of Reinhardt's barrier
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Glitch » October 3rd, 2017, 12:29 am

EarthPhantomTS wrote:
Glitch wrote:Double post because I forgot to post earlier: saw my psych earlier this week, told him I was trans. He doesn't specialize in trans stuff, so he sent off a referral to the lady in my city who deals with trans people, but he did warn me he thought she didn't have any openings... and turned out to be right. There is another trans psychiatrist in the city two hours from my city. So, by the time I assume everything goes according to plan with no problems, two hours there and back (could be up to two and a half, I don't remember offhand), another hour-ish in the city... it's a five hour trip bare minimum. Just to fucking transition.
My car is pretty fuel efficient, so it wouldn't take more than a tank of gas to get there and back with travel in the city. I don't know when the trans psychiatrist in my city will be open again. I probably only have to go see them every few months, and could get everything else in my city. I want to transition as soon as I can (as of writing this my (tmi in spoiler)  period  came which reminded me how much more I hate dealing with it and my pcos), and that I want to get started on hormones because I know it'll take time to transition... just, ugh. It's really left me in a rock and a hard place here. I told them to give me a few days to think about it but it's like... what the fuck am I supposed to do.


Ugh, what a drag. Well, at least you're accepted for who you are, right? May Lady Ishtar watch over you. Both of us, actually :tsmiles: .

Tell me about it. I'm very glad for the acceptance, but this leaves me frustrated.
I think I'm gonna take it though. I don't know when the trans psych here is gonna have a free spot, and I just want to start transitioning already.
I agree, may Lady Ishtar watch over both of us. <3

Alice wrote:Yeah. It's kinda the same for me with  Ibuki getting murdered by Mikan  in DR2. Another time where one of my favorite characters gets murdered but it makes sense in context. In fact it's true for 3/5 of my favorite pre-DR3 characters. The other two manage to survive. (Kyoko, Sakura, Mukuro, Komaru, and Ibuki. I'll let you work out which is which there.)

Oh god it's been a while since I've played DR/SDR2. I had to look up who Mikan was.
Yeah. It sucks but at least it does make sense.

I think you'll enjoy it. The ending though is really freaking weird. One of the strangest things I've seen in a game and manages to out-weird even the ending of DR2 which was pretty out there itself.

Also the bonus mode stuff is pretty interesting. I'll spoiler it in case you want what it contains to be a surprise, though I don't think revealing what it is would be too big a deal honestly.
There's three bonus modes you unlock. There's your standard relationship free mode one. Then the other two are actually closely related. The first is called Ultimate Training Mode or something like that. You choose a character and take them through this boardgame representation of three years at Hope's Peak Academy. You level them up and gain skills for them for use in the other mode. The other mode is an rpg with a 50 floor dungeon. You use up to four characters you've taken through the previous mode to advance through the dungeon to defeat Monokuma.

It's kinda interesting though. You get all the students from DR1, DR2, and DR3. On top of that you also get Monokuma for DR1 and both Usami and Monomi for DR2. Though you only start with DR3 characters. On top of this each character has three ranks. N, S, and U. What these mean doesn't actually seem to be addressed anywhere but I'm assuming they stand for Normal, Super, and Ultimate. I can't access U-rank cards yet so I can't tell what the difference between them and the other ranks is yet but the difference between N-rank and S-rank cards is that  S-rank cards get double the effect from spots they land on during the boardgame. So landing on a growth spot gives two levels instead of one and a double growth spot gives four instead of two. 

Getting the cards is kinda annoying though.  A card costs 100G and you start out with a 99% chance of getting an N-rank card and 1% chance of an S-rank. Currently I've ranked the machine up by one rank which changes that to 97% and 3%. I've managed to get most of the ones I wanted. Though getting Kaede's S-rank card was a complete and utter pain. I'd gotten the S-rank cards for literally every other DR3 character, many of which I'd gotten 4+ times, before finally getting hers. I did however get Mukuro and Sakura easily though so that helps. I'm still missing Ibuki but I'm considering skipping her for now and going for Kyoko instead which I already have. And the reason for that is card types. 

Cards are split into three types. Physical, intellectual, and variety. Mukuro and Sakura are both physical types. Ibuki and Kaede are both variety types. Kyoko on the other hand is an intellectual type. Physical types are basically like fighters from your typical rpg. Intellectual types are more or less mages. Though you can build them how you specifically want really. Variety types are a bit more complicated though. They're alright for physical attacks but variety type skills tend to be buffs and debuffs. Iirc healing and focus absorption (focus being the game's equivalent of mana and influence being hp) are both variety type skills.

That is definitely a thing if it outweirds SDR2.
That's actually... kind of interesting? I look forward to trying that out!
Image
Image
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

User avatar
Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon
Posts: 1949
Joined: December 29th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Location: Ashtree

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 3rd, 2017, 4:24 am

EarthPhantomTS wrote:
Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:I was reading a Spiegel article on today's tragedy, and man, it's refreshing when the media manages to both be basically objective and not pull any punches. I can't think of the last time a respectible paper called Alex Jones a conspiracy theorist instead of the euphemistic "radio personality". Or called this kind of thing an act of terror instead of a 'lone wolf' incident.


I know I probably shouldn't ask you in particular, but...what was the motive? What the hell was that guy trying to do? Is it something guaranteed to make me groan? Or angry? Or sad? Or all of those?


We don't know. He doesn't appear to have been radicalized, so we're suspecting something like 'brain tumors'. AP said he was a huge gambler though - he might have snapped after losing something huge and took it out on the crowd.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » October 3rd, 2017, 9:42 am

Glitch wrote:That is definitely a thing if it outweirds SDR2.
That's actually... kind of interesting? I look forward to trying that out!

The last half of the final class trial is impressively weird and at the same time kinda interesting. First half is a really interesting occurrence too. Though elaborating on that would be major spoilers.

And the bonus mode stuff is a bit too grindy in my opinion but it's definitely interesting. I'm gonna at least give finishing it a try. I took a break yesterday though because I have 57 hours logged in the game since it released on the 26th. My current plan on it: I currently have a fairly low leveled N-rank Kaede, a decently leveled N-rank Mukuro, and a well leveled S-rank Sakura. I have S-rank Kaede and Mukuro cards waiting, I just need to take them through the boardgame mode. I'm also going to go for S-rank Kyoko to wrap things up since I haven't gotten S-rank Ibuki and she'd just be another variety type anyways. That should hopefully be enough for me to make it through until I can start getting U-rank cards. And hopefully once I get that far I can stand a chance of actually finishing all exams in the boardgame mode. So far I've finished the first exam which is difficult to fail, second exam which I still fail frequently, and the first battle (of three) for the third exam but I've consistently failed at the second. (Spoilers regarding card ranks and exam results.)  Beating the first two exams gives you several levels. Three on an N-rank iirc. Finishing the third exam is supposed to make you a ton stronger. If it's three levels per exam and S-ranks give double growth then presumably U-ranks are either triple or quadruple. And since the third exam is three battles that means it should be nine levels. Which means 18 for S-rank and either 27 or 36 for U-rank. Though I'm not sure if level 100 is even max. My S-rank Sakura is level 95 or so. If U-ranks level twice as fast then it'd make sense for max level to be higher than 100. 
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » October 3rd, 2017, 8:11 pm

Well that's just my luck. In the bonus mode on DR3:
I managed to get a good run with developing S-rank Kyoko which was just enough to get me through enough floors fo the dungeon to finally get access to U-rank cards, albeit at a 0.5% drop chance. (14.5% for S-ranks) At this rank one card costs 200 of the bonus mode currency. I spent 200,000g which is 1,000 cards. I should have drawn five U-rank cards with all that but I only got three. First one I got was Junko (who I didn't even have an S-rank of just yet) followed by Taka then Makoto. I was only drawing from the DR1 pool in the hopes I'd at least get one of the characters I wanted from it but of course not...

I then spent 50,000g on DR2 cards trying to get the missing S-ranks there since I'd gotten all DR3 S-ranks trying to get Kaede and had gotten the rest of the DR1 S-ranks trying to get Mukuro, Sakura, or Kyoko U-ranks. I quickly got Ibuki which is the only one I'd likely use anyways but out of the ~36 (actually 36.25 according to the raw numbers) S-ranks I should have gotten I only got about half that many S-rank cards (I got quite a number of full N-rank draws despite the fact that when using the draw 10 option I should be averaging 1.45 S-ranks per draw) and still didn't complete my S-rank collection, only halved the remaining ones in DR2 so I still need three more.

The annoying part is there were also a handful (like three or so) of draws where I got a whopping four S-ranks in one draw and every single time I managed that I'd always get 2-3 that were identical and none of them were ever new cards. Why does my luck have to be so atrocious??
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
InsaneIntentions1
Posts: 708
Joined: February 6th, 2015, 9:18 pm
Location: The catacombs
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » October 3rd, 2017, 8:26 pm

So that vegas shooting took place when Jason Aldean performed (he graduated from my high school), and Tom Petty just passed away. Fuck this week.
A man of many voices

User avatar
Glitch
Posts: 1391
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 2:19 am
Location: the safety of Reinhardt's barrier
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Glitch » October 4th, 2017, 3:38 am

Alice wrote:
Glitch wrote:That is definitely a thing if it outweirds SDR2.
That's actually... kind of interesting? I look forward to trying that out!

The last half of the final class trial is impressively weird and at the same time kinda interesting. First half is a really interesting occurrence too. Though elaborating on that would be major spoilers.

Have definitely been enjoying it so far. Noticed that the characters seem... almost weirder than the first two games? Or is it just me???
Kind of makes me want to go back and replay the first two games...

And the bonus mode stuff is a bit too grindy in my opinion but it's definitely interesting. I'm gonna at least give finishing it a try. I took a break yesterday though because I have 57 hours logged in the game since it released on the 26th. My current plan on it: I currently have a fairly low leveled N-rank Kaede, a decently leveled N-rank Mukuro, and a well leveled S-rank Sakura. I have S-rank Kaede and Mukuro cards waiting, I just need to take them through the boardgame mode. I'm also going to go for S-rank Kyoko to wrap things up since I haven't gotten S-rank Ibuki and she'd just be another variety type anyways. That should hopefully be enough for me to make it through until I can start getting U-rank cards. And hopefully once I get that far I can stand a chance of actually finishing all exams in the boardgame mode. So far I've finished the first exam which is difficult to fail, second exam which I still fail frequently, and the first battle (of three) for the third exam but I've consistently failed at the second. (Spoilers regarding card ranks and exam results.)  Beating the first two exams gives you several levels. Three on an N-rank iirc. Finishing the third exam is supposed to make you a ton stronger. If it's three levels per exam and S-ranks give double growth then presumably U-ranks are either triple or quadruple. And since the third exam is three battles that means it should be nine levels. Which means 18 for S-rank and either 27 or 36 for U-rank. Though I'm not sure if level 100 is even max. My S-rank Sakura is level 95 or so. If U-ranks level twice as fast then it'd make sense for max level to be higher than 100. 

Even if I may not play it through all the way, I'm still gonna give it a try.

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:So that vegas shooting took place when Jason Aldean performed (he graduated from my high school), and Tom Petty just passed away. Fuck this week.

If it makes you feel any better, there was a terrorist attack recently in Canada. I forget where offhand.
Isn't the world great?!
Image
Image
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

User avatar
EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat
Posts: 1462
Joined: December 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Location: In Tiamat's boobs

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby EarthPhantomTS » October 4th, 2017, 6:07 am

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:So that vegas shooting took place when Jason Aldean performed (he graduated from my high school), and Tom Petty just passed away. Fuck this week.


Tom Petty will be missed :tsad: . As will everyone who died in that shooting :tsad: .

But mostly Tom Petty for me, since I don't think I knew anyone who was in that ill-fated concert, but my dad must've been Tom Petty's biggest fan.

My prayers go out to whichever deity you want, if any. I'll, of course, also offer prayers for inner peace for the dead from Lady Ereshkigal and Lord Hades and Lord Osiris and all those types.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Image
Yes, she's still my wifey


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » October 4th, 2017, 9:57 am

Glitch wrote:Have definitely been enjoying it so far. Noticed that the characters seem... almost weirder than the first two games? Or is it just me???
Kind of makes me want to go back and replay the first two games...

Yeah, they definitely trend towards the odd side compared to the first two games. The series has always had its fair share of quirky characters, that's kinda unavoidable when it centers around the best and most talented, but some of the characters here are just strange. Miu (though she's really quite hilarious), Kokichi, Kiyo, and Angie in particular are pretty strange in personality. Keebo's entire concept is a bit strange.
Even if I may not play it through all the way, I'm still gonna give it a try.

I'd personally recommend cheating for money at least. So far I've only seen cash rewards, from enemies, bosses, or chests, in the range of like 120-600g and I'm up to floor 31/50. So it's clearly intended to be pretty grindy. Speaking of cheating I actually noticed a kinda hilarious oversight on the part of the programmers. It does make sense since it'd normally be unnecessary but the game only checks if you're at the max currency value when you gain money. Spending money doesn't perform that check. 999,999g is the max amount of bonus mode currency you're intended to have. When I cheated for more I went up to something like 1,160,000g or so since I just added on an extra digit. I then went and just paid my way down to 999,999g through drawing cards from the machine.

Also I verified the bonus mode's max level. I don't know if I just had a really lucky run with my S-Sakura or what but level 95 is just a little under the max which suggests that U-rank cards have the best advantages simply because they can so easily max out their level. (Also their multiplier is almost certainly higher than S-rank multipliers, though I haven't checked what their multiplier is yet.) So the best option for a U-rank card is probably to play on the normal field for the first year then go for either the talent or encounter fields for the next two years. Encounters and events are very unpredictable but once you've maxed out a character's level (like I did with my S-kyoko) then the only option for boosting their stats further is encounter and event squares. I also found out you can only have a max of 5 skills on any given character. If you try to learn a sixth you have to choose one to forget. Which will lose your talent fragments if you forget the one you were just trying to learn. (Which happened for me with Kyoko since I learned all three elemental full target abilities, then went and learnt two of the single target ones and went to learn the third only to realize I couldn't have all six so I replaced the single target ones with a healing ability and a focus draining one instead.)

I'm really not looking forward to trying to get my U-rank cards though. U-rank Mukuro and Kaede would be most useful. My S-rank Kyoko and Sakura are both still very useful. Kaede and Mukuro are both still N-rank though with Kaede only being level 15 or so and Mukuro being level 30-something. They're both actually effectively useless where I am in the dungeon, they do 1 damage per hit and die in one hit.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon
Posts: 1949
Joined: December 29th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Location: Ashtree

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 10th, 2017, 7:18 pm

This tumblr summary and the pdf linked might be interesting to people here: http://lord-kitschener.tumblr.com/post/ ... rissygrrrl
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic


User avatar
EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat
Posts: 1462
Joined: December 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Location: In Tiamat's boobs

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby EarthPhantomTS » October 10th, 2017, 11:35 pm

So it seems Cyberdimension Neptunia is released. And naturally, being the resident fangirl of the series, I...don't have it. I can't really afford it right now. So I kinda got a few spoilers to avoid.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Image
Yes, she's still my wifey


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » October 13th, 2017, 12:41 am

I just went to make a joke to a friend about how it must be Thursday with all the thunder we're getting today. Turns out it actually is Thursday. That's a hilarious coincidence.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
Alice
⦂☽
Posts: 3879
Joined: December 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm
Location: Wonderland
Contact:

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Alice » October 14th, 2017, 3:49 am

My mom asked me these three questions she was sent. Supposedly it's supposed to be the world's shortest IQ test or something and according to what she was told about it only 17% of even Harvard and Yale graduates could get all three correct.

1.) A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
2.) If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
3.) In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

I got all three correct, though I did stumble on the first and get it incorrect at first. (I realized I was wrong as soon as the answer left my mouth and correct myself.) I sent them to my Australian friend and he only got the third one correct. He had no idea on the second and totally misread the first in a hilarious manner.

Answers:
 1.) $0.05. $1.05 + $0.05 = $1.10. (My friend managed to get the idea that it was $1.10 each which is obviously wrong. Even overlooking the "$1.10 total" part he still missed the "The bat costs $1 more than the ball" somehow.) Most peoples' gut reaction here is to give an answer of $0.10.
2.) 5 minutes. X machines making X widgets will always take 5 minutes to make that amount of widgets. If people aren't attentive then their gut reaction will be to say 100 minutes.
3.) 47 days. Easily realized if you just start from the end and count backwards but most people apparently just split the time in half instead. 


Of course only one person isn't much to go on but I honestly didn't think they were particularly difficult questions so I was surprised to see my friend only get one correct.
💙💙💙
Image
Image


User avatar
EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat
Posts: 1462
Joined: December 25th, 2014, 5:33 pm
Location: In Tiamat's boobs

Re: Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby EarthPhantomTS » October 14th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Alice wrote:My mom asked me these three questions she was sent. Supposedly it's supposed to be the world's shortest IQ test or something and according to what she was told about it only 17% of even Harvard and Yale graduates could get all three correct.

1.) A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
2.) If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
3.) In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

I got all three correct, though I did stumble on the first and get it incorrect at first. (I realized I was wrong as soon as the answer left my mouth and correct myself.) I sent them to my Australian friend and he only got the third one correct. He had no idea on the second and totally misread the first in a hilarious manner.

Answers:
 1.) $0.05. $1.05 + $0.05 = $1.10. (My friend managed to get the idea that it was $1.10 each which is obviously wrong. Even overlooking the "$1.10 total" part he still missed the "The bat costs $1 more than the ball" somehow.) Most peoples' gut reaction here is to give an answer of $0.10.
2.) 5 minutes. X machines making X widgets will always take 5 minutes to make that amount of widgets. If people aren't attentive then their gut reaction will be to say 100 minutes.
3.) 47 days. Easily realized if you just start from the end and count backwards but most people apparently just split the time in half instead. 


Of course only one person isn't much to go on but I honestly didn't think they were particularly difficult questions so I was surprised to see my friend only get one correct.


Oh hey, I got all three right! Though I don't know how much my answers would count, cause I already saw the first one and I had to think a while for the third :tundecided: . But yes, I got them right all the same.

Also, not really related, but anyone notice that yesterday was Friday the 13th? Of October? Heh heh, neat Image!

Also also, I'm curious: are there any months where the 13th can't fall on a Friday? There's only so many possible arrangements for the calendar (though more than the number of months in the year still).

Also also also, seems Fate/Grand Order is having a Halloween-themed event. And apparently, it's being hosted by one of my historical domain heroines, Countess Bathory Image Image! So I might be focused on that for a while, starting on Tuesday.

Alice wrote:I just went to make a joke to a friend about how it must be Thursday with all the thunder we're getting today. Turns out it actually is Thursday. That's a hilarious coincidence.


I'd be inclined to joke that I'd prefer "By the power of Marduk" here, except he's in the same role Yahweh is in Abrahamic religions, so I don't like him much (honestly, I'm a bit maltheistic in general (kinda comes with being a neopagan of any sort...I was gonna say "worshiping the Babylonian pantheon" but then I realized it wouldn't be just them), but he's one of only a few deities I simply don't like). Besides, he killed my waifu Image (sorry, couldn't resist :pwink: Image!).
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Image
Yes, she's still my wifey



Return to “General Perversion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests