Legend of Grimrock 2

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
Alice
⦂☽

Legend of Grimrock 2

Postby Alice » January 24th, 2017, 4:05 am

Buy game on Gog or Steam.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0XA19aaqIx

Episodes:

Pretty interesting choice in games to lp. I've never gotten terribly far in either game in the series (actually got stuck on the first one, lol) but they're both pretty fun to play.
Last edited by Alice on November 18th, 2017, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made a playlist
💙💙💙

Speedless

Re: Legend of Grimrock 2

Postby Speedless » January 31st, 2017, 6:42 am

I'm only a few episodes in right now, but I'm excited! The only real foreknowledge I have about Legend of Grimrock is the existence of delicious baked goods, and the onscreen text is TINY, so it's been tricky to guess what kinds of skill allocation decisions might go well for Iso. At the moment, I'm mainly wondering how much more powerful the magic-users in this game get with each new spell they figure out--and also what's in the party's culinary future. Making steak out of ornery turtle monsters is a pretty impressive beginning...

Speedless

Postby Speedless » February 22nd, 2017, 2:27 am

So the delicious baked goods are here as well! I guess that doesn't surprise me much if the Blueberry Pie really was that iconic. And it does indeed look like Jipples really, really benefits from new spells--I'm just surprised at how careful the game has been about giving out actual scrolls for specific spells. Out of curiosity, at this point (Iso just got the Scroll of Dispel and puzzled out the ice shield), has Jipples learned (or found a scroll for) at least one spell based on each of the nine runes? I know Dispel and Force Field have you go over all and most of them, respectively, but I'm not really sure which runes are really "part" of some spells.

Actually, I'm still not quite sure how this magic system works just in general. It seems like the path is as important as just touching the right runes--each scroll shows you the path for its spell, and I remember Iso trying out different paths to the same rune... I'm guessing the general complexity of it, combined with the skill level requirements for each spell that you only see if you find the scroll, is intended to make it difficult to brute-force. And since Jipples is, if not the overall hardest hitter, at least the most powerful and versatile ranged attacker, I guess that difficulty might be good for game balance. (Not sure whether a battle mage would have that much relative power in a team optimized for ranged combat, though.)

As a final note, I do hope the comments try not to scare Iso again the way they did with the cheese. I'm pretty sure I know the comment Iso meant, and from the way it was worded, I thought they meant he needed the cheese for a really important puzzle or something!

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 22nd, 2017, 3:27 am

Iso actually looks to be missing a few scrolls I think too. I recently started a playthrough of my own and I've found two scrolls that I don't think Iso found. (Or he found them but never makes use of them. The LP's been going on long enough and they were far enough back that I don't remember.) One is a scroll for the invisibility spell and then the other is another of the resist element spells. I think Iso only discovered one while I've discovered two. Though those ones are easy enough that those two were enough to let me figure out the other two since that particular combination only has four possible iterations on the rune deal anyways. Also there was one ice spell (ice bolt) I've discovered that I don't think Iso has uncovered yet but I think that was just through me messing around with the runes rather than through a scroll. For anyone who wants to know how:  Vertical line of runes on the right side.  And there's lightning bolt which is this.

Also in my experimenting I seem to have discovered a one-rune spell that doesn't seem to do anything. It was the middle rune alone that results in you casting a spell but nothing seems to happen. No buff effects, no projectile is cast, no fizzle happens, but you also don't learn a spell from it.

As for spell choice, I think that ice is actually probably one of the worst choices. The ice spikes are useful for hitting multiple enemies at once but the flame blast and poison bolt spells are far more useful in general. (Flame burst being easy to cast since it's one rune and it has a chance of setting enemies on fire which is super useful.) You also seem to uncover a lot more earth-based spells early on than you do ice spells.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » February 22nd, 2017, 4:10 am

Alice wrote:Also there was one ice spell (ice bolt) I've discovered that I don't think Iso has uncovered yet but I think that was just through me messing around with the runes rather than through a scroll.

If you pay close attention, you might notice I have been attempting to cast this exact spell after pretty much every level up in water magic I have given Jipples. It turns out there is one extra requirement,  air magic 1 , which I discover in a couple episodes. But yeah the game seems awfully stingy about giving out water spell scrolls. I'm pretty gosh dang far at this point (about a week's worth of videos ahead of the uploads) and have found only three water scrolls total: ice spikes, dispel, and  frost shield .

As for whether or not I've found a use for every rune (where the important runes are the "anchors" at each end, ignoring the runes in between ala Grimrock 1's spell system) I think the only one that I have not discovered something for is the middle row, right column rune. In Grimrock 1 that rune was used for enchanting arrows and quarrels, a group of spells that seems to be absent in this game.
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 22nd, 2017, 4:43 am

Isocitration wrote:As for whether or not I've found a use for every rune (where the important runes are the "anchors" at each end, ignoring the runes in between ala Grimrock 1's spell system) I think the only one that I have not discovered something for is the middle row, right column rune. In Grimrock 1 that rune was used for enchanting arrows and quarrels, a group of spells that seems to be absent in this game.

If you're only counting anchor runes then wouldn't shield count for the middle right one? The only one I can think of that you wouldn't have anything at all for off the top of my head is the bottom middle. Actually darkbolt would count for that one now that I think about it.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » February 22nd, 2017, 4:52 am

Oh right, shield, that's all of them then.

Edit: Still I wonder if the non elemental ones will get any more specific uses.
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 26th, 2017, 2:56 pm

So apparently that puzzle involving the floor full of switches in the archives is easy to screw up in the exact way Iso kept doing. (The part where he managed to read the final word in the solution as 1 instead of 2.) I managed to do the exact same thing as he did there and it took me like four tries to finally figure out how I was doing it wrong only to realize it was the same thing Iso did in that spot, lol.
💙💙💙

Speedless

Postby Speedless » February 27th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Good thing Iso used up all the cheese in today's video. If he'd gone into the titular Invasion carrying nine or ten pieces of cheese, a holdup would no doubt have taken place. :pwink: I was thinking of asking whether there was some kind of bad effect from eating "favorite foods" in the previous game, but it turns out I waited long enough to get my answer in the video. (Man, though, there were times when I thought Iso was legitimately concerned that Jipples would eat all the cheese while he wasn't looking!)

Also, thanks for taking a minute in the video to explain the runes, Iso. It hadn't occurred to me that the developers would have talked about that publicly, though in retrospect, it makes sense. There's no way I would have figured out the runes in the middle row... they don't seem to be endpoints for that many spells.

Willhart

Postby Willhart » March 5th, 2017, 6:33 pm

This has been pretty awesome series all the way trough. Will be interesting to see how well the endgame goes.

Griflion

Postby Griflion » June 25th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Steam Sales happened, so i bought it, think it will be fun

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » November 18th, 2017, 5:28 pm

I created a playlist for this so people can easily access all the videos if you want. (Much easier to keep track of that way.)
💙💙💙

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”