My New Computer! What do you think?

General off-topic stuffs goes here.
Absolut Zero

My New Computer! What do you think?

Postby Absolut Zero » February 15th, 2015, 12:37 am

Well, I finally took the plunge and committed to my new computer! In total, after tax, shipping and all that jazz it came to $2,020. :pogchamp:

Here is a parts list. I got some advice from the Tek Syndicate forums and I am pretty satisfied with this build and hope everything goes smooth with it.

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Formula

CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K

GPU
Zotac GeForce GTX 980

PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2

Chassis
Cooler Master Storm Stryker

RAM
Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB HX318C10FBK2/16

SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III Internal SSD MZ-75E250B/AM

Cooling
NZXT Krakken AIO Water Cooling (280mm)

Well there is all the new stuff. However, I already have all the other components from a previous build to cannibalize. Here is a list of those too

Keyboard
Roccat Ryos MK Glow

Mouse
Roccat Kone XTD With Alumic Mouse Pad

HDD's
WD 1TB 7200 RPM
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM
WD 500GB 7200 RPM
WD My Passport 1TB

Monitor
Panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV via HDMI

Optical Drive
Asus DVDRW 24x

Peripheral Device
Blue Yeti Snowball

Alright that is the complete build! Should be here by Feb 19th! :kreygasm:

Maybe I will take some pictures when I do the build and share those too if anyone is interested.

Thoughts on this build
I have been needing a new computer for a long time now, and I am super excited for it! I really wanted to go all out on this one since this is a once in a decade purchase type of thing for me. I was considering doing a custom loop water cooling including GPU and MOBO blocks to have a completely ridiculous setup in terms of efficiency and aesthetics, but this was just too much money to consider.
Maybe in the future I will do something like that, but the NZXT cooler should be good enough to overclock the crap out of that i7.

Also I was considering an M.2 SSD, but the price of those is just too high right now, maybe I will consider it as an upgrade in the future.

Any thoughts on this build? I'd love to hear your opinion.

:frankerz: :bloodtrail: :frankerz:

Dr. Shemp

Re: My New Computer! What do you think?

Postby Dr. Shemp » February 15th, 2015, 12:48 am

I'm curious on how you managed to accumulate so many files that you need 3TB of hard drive space.
When I pray, and sometimes I do, I pray to myself. And if I’m lucky, I answer myself.

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » February 15th, 2015, 12:52 am

Dr. Shemp wrote:I'm curious on how you managed to accumulate so many files that you need 3TB of hard drive space.

BitTorrent + Time = All the space in the world

Software, Tv/Movies/Anime, Music, Games, SDK's and IDE's. Large MySQL tables for testing, backups. There are so many things that eat up space quickly. You can never have enough HDD

Dual, sometimes triple booting OS with different distros of Linux take up a lot of space too.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 15th, 2015, 1:03 am

Dr. Shemp wrote:I'm curious on how you managed to accumulate so many files that you need 3TB of hard drive space.

In the future, ram will be large enough people will forget how to make programs efficiently. Soon, the humble jpg will be replaced by the technically superior but wasteful animated jpeff which streams material from all over the drive using a bogosorting algorith programmed in java's also-designed-in-a-single-afternoon successor, Borneo. Instead of a svg mug, its logo will be 4 dimensional 3ds like doubly rendered model of a very hairy angry tarantula, because they stopped caring

Also like maybe someone's an enthusiast of differing oses and he wants the opportunity to experiment with freebsd, haikuos, plan 9, z/os, osx, dos, beos, openvms, solaris, vision, windows 1-12, and 10^12 different flavours of linux

i want a new computer
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Ashan

Postby Ashan » February 15th, 2015, 1:56 am

Oh, hey! I recently built a new PC myself!

CPU
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core

Liquid cooling
-Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM

Motherboard
-Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150

RAM
-Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

Primary storage
-Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD

Secondary storage
-Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

GPU
-EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0

PSU
-EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

Here's a kind of bad square picture:

edit: fixed bold tag
Last edited by Ashan on February 15th, 2015, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 15th, 2015, 5:19 am

That looks like it's going to be a really nice computer. With that 980 though I'd personally highly recommend a more proper monitor. Specifically either a high refresh rate one or one with a resolution above 1080p. A 980 would actually be fairly overkill for a 1080p monitor at 60hz.

It's actually a lot easier than you think to eat up tons of space. I have a 4tb, 2tb, 320gb (for my os), and a 2tb external. I had a 1tb as well until it died. But overall those drives are all a minimum of half full with the exception of the external which is about a third full.
💙💙💙

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » February 15th, 2015, 5:57 am

Alice wrote:That looks like it's going to be a really nice computer. With that 980 though I'd personally highly recommend a more proper monitor. Specifically either a high refresh rate one or one with a resolution above 1080p. A 980 would actually be fairly overkill for a 1080p monitor at 60hz.

Yeah, I am aware of that, but a decent 4k monitor or even multiple monitor setups can cost a lot of money, and I really broke the bank already with this build so that will have to wait. It is on my list though.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 15th, 2015, 6:07 am

Absolut Zero wrote:Yeah, I am aware of that, but a decent 4k monitor or even multiple monitor setups can cost a lot of money, and I really broke the bank already with this build so that will have to wait. It is on my list though.

If you're willing to go with an off-brand monitor you can always shoot for a Korean brand monitor. They tend to be a lot cheaper than other monitors you'll find. They just don't have 100% of the functionality and often have a couple of dead pixels. I paid around $329 for mine which is a 2560x1440@60hz IPS monitor with a tempered glass screen. Its only issues are that there's no in-depth settings for it (it only has brightness up/down and a power button) and there's three dead pixels. The settings thing has never been an issue though and the dead pixels are almost never visible since they're so small. The one that's by itself I have to actively look for and it's only visible at all on light grey to white backgrounds. The other two are more visible simply because they're bordering each other but I rarely even notice them.

A 4k monitor though I don't think is an option yet for those Korean brands. If you do want to look into them though the specific brand I know is decent is Yamakasi (which is the brand I have).
💙💙💙

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » February 15th, 2015, 6:10 am

I saw some really neat (and affordable) 4k monitors from CES coverage this year. Just need to wait until they are on the market and I have the money for them lol. Thanks for the advice though. I will probably be stuck with my current setup for a few more months though

Ashan

Postby Ashan » February 15th, 2015, 6:15 am

I'm sitting here waiting for 4k monitors to drop in price. I can't imagine it will take more than a few years before it replaces 1080p as the "standard".

Same with higher storage SSDs. I was going to go for a 1TB SSD in my build, but I just couldn't justify it at its current price, so I went with a 250GB and got a 1TB HDD for secondary storage. Got my SSD, and more storage, while saving money. Still, I don't very much like having to remember to install things to secondary storage, and overall I kind of just want to go full-SSD's.
Just a bit longer until that can be done affordably. -_-
► Show Spoiler

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 15th, 2015, 6:17 am

Ashan wrote:Got my SSD, and more storage, while saving money. Still, I don't very much like having to remember to install things to secondary storage, and overall I kind of just want to go full-SSD's.

I feel you on that one. Shortcuts from one drive to the other, having the software installed on the SSD and the files used stored on the other... That's a pain.
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » February 15th, 2015, 6:19 am

Ashan wrote:I'm sitting here waiting for 4k monitors to drop in price. I can't imagine it will take more than a few years before it replaces 1080p as the "standard".

Same with higher storage SSDs. I was going to go for a 1TB SSD in my build, but I just couldn't justify it at its current price, so I went with a 250GB and got a 1TB HDD for secondary storage. Got my SSD, and more storage, while saving money. Still, I don't very much like having to remember to install things to secondary storage, and overall I kind of just want to go full-SSD's.
Just a bit longer until that can be done affordably. -_-

Yeah, going all SSD (especially in M.2) Would be freaking awesome! But so expensive. You just need to put your OS and all core programs you want to load fast on the SSD and everything else on the secondary. It is an inconvenience, but unless you have boatloads of cash then thats what you will be stuck with

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » February 15th, 2015, 6:21 am

Sarusig wrote:
Ashan wrote:Got my SSD, and more storage, while saving money. Still, I don't very much like having to remember to install things to secondary storage, and overall I kind of just want to go full-SSD's.

I feel you on that one. Shortcuts from one drive to the other, having the software installed on the SSD and the files used stored on the other... That's a pain.

If you have organizational problems like that, I would recommend a program to replace generic Explorer. It's called Xyplorer and it's freaking awesome!

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 15th, 2015, 6:23 am

Absolut Zero wrote:If you have organizational problems like that, I would recommend a program to replace generic Explorer. It's called Xyplorer and it's freaking awesome!

Might look into it, cheers!
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » February 15th, 2015, 6:26 am

Sarusig wrote:
Absolut Zero wrote:If you have organizational problems like that, I would recommend a program to replace generic Explorer. It's called Xyplorer and it's freaking awesome!

Might look into it, cheers!

Yeah true that! It has tabs like a browser, advanced searching and context menus and directory highlighting so you can find where new files are created or modified. (this can be super helpful if you think you got malware recently aiding in a manual deletion of it) Ive been using it for a while now and I love it so much. PM me if you want a link to somewhere that you could "acquire" it

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » February 19th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Man all you people with your fancy GTX's and i7's and 25 monitors and 1652 GB RAM. I have a Toshiba Satellite, although it's pretty decent for a laptop. Quad core 2.3 GHz, Radeon HD Graphics (it's actually pretty decent for an integrated graphics card), 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive plus a 1TB external. It can run most games at low (or medium if I'm lucky) graphics, which is good enough for me. Can't record any big FPS's or anything like that, but I hardly ever have a desire to do that anyways.

Now that I think about it, when I become independent, all I'll need to invest in is a cell phone, nice internet connection, and a nice desktop computer. Screw fancy smartphones and the best cable TV package. If I want to watch the Final Four basketball championship I'll just visit a friend! Take that societal steriotypes

EDIT: You know what by then I'll be the next Bill Gates so I'll have everything I want anyways, duh

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » March 8th, 2015, 4:04 am

Oh baby! Got it built and setup! So freaking amazing I couldn't be more excited right now :frankerz: :bloodtrail:

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » March 8th, 2015, 10:11 pm

Nice Absolut! I'm happy for you! :bloodtrail:

Could this just be the place to ask computer-related questions as well? I have a couple.
Is there any advantage to having two 4 GB RAM units rather than one 8 GB unit? I mean, besides maybe being able to swap out one for an 8 GB unit in the future and then having 12 GB total, or something.
Also, is an i7 really that much better than an 8-core AMD processor (like this)? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but why? Hyperthreading?

I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to computer hardware, so there's probably more from where these came from. I'd like to become pretty knowledgeable by the summer so that I can make wise decisions when I buy the parts to build my PC. Or that's the plan, at least. Hopefully I'll get my summer job and have like a solid grand saved up by mid-summer to buy a nice-quality PC with which I can play higher-end games on decent quality while simultaneously streaming or recording them. And video rendering. Etc. Certainly not as godlike as Absolut's, but good enough to suit all of my needs, haha.

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » March 8th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Frozelar wrote:Is there any advantage to having two 4 GB RAM units rather than one 8 GB unit?

I don't think so, if anything, it is the other way around. Having only 1 stick of 8GB means that your CPU can access it with the highest speed. Having 2 4GB modules would introduce latency although having them in dual channel would make that negligible most likely. The thing about RAM is, you want to buy a "kit" of whatever speed and amount of memory you think you will ever need at one time, since mixing and matching RAM sticks can not always be guaranteed to work. "kits" always ship with sticks that are "matched" to work together so its always a good idea to do that. If not following this advice then at least try to get modules in the future with the same clock rate and brand for highest compatibility. Always have an even number of sticks as well, to take advantage of dual/quad channel configs.

Frozelar wrote:Also, is an i7 really that much better than an 8-core AMD processor I'm assuming the answer is yes, but why? Hyperthreading?

This is another thing that comes down to the workload you are going to be putting onto the computer. For gaming purposes the star player of your PC is the GPU, and even a baseline I5 or quad core AMD cpu will be able to handle most gaming tasks without "bottlenecks" (and I HATE using that term) In fact with the way games work nowadays, it is almost always better to get less cores with higher clock speed, but this may change in the future and most of the time you will be doing other things besides ONLY gaming on your PC.

So if you are going to do anything productivity related, having hyperthreading and more cores can be a real boon. 3d modeling, compression, rendering, software development, image processing, and other general workloads aside from gaming can benefit greatly from hyperthreading and more cores. The thing about hyperthreading is that it almost turns a 4 core machine into an 8 core one, since each core can do 2 simultaneous tasks. Generally Intel is the top of the line in terms of performance in almost any task at the moment, but not so far ahead that AMD is out of the question. If you want to pay the price premium and have a future proofed machine powered by intel then thats the way to go. If you are doing light productivity with a lot of gaming then AMD can be just fine.

Frozelar wrote:I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to computer hardware, so there's probably more from where these came from. I'd like to become pretty knowledgeable by the summer so that I can make wise decisions when I buy the parts to build my PC.

You can ask me anything you want! I'd be happy to help you pick things out when the time comes. I am the one who helped Iso get his computer parts picked out too :frankerz:

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » March 8th, 2015, 11:07 pm

Absolut Zero wrote:[see the above post]

Oh hey, thank you very much! I'll try to keep all that in mind. I think that for my purposes, 8 GB RAM SHOULD be enough if I even remotely know what I'm talking about. Although... I guess that could change in the future? I dunno. I guess I'll worry about it more as the time to buy it arises.
And I guess I feel the same about CPU. As of right now, an 8-core AMD should be good for me, but depending on what I end up doing in the future, that could change. I'll save the decision for when I'm ready to purchase!
As far as GPU, I was thinking maybe something like this, but I don't know.
I don't know. I DUNNO
Absolut Zero wrote:You can ask me anything you want! I'd be happy to help you pick things out when the time comes. I am the one who helped Iso get his computer parts picked out too :frankerz:

Thank you, I'll remember this! That's really kind of you!

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 8th, 2015, 11:35 pm

To elaborate a little on what Zero said about AMD vs. Intel/processors, generally AMD has the best price:performance ratio but Intel basically always comes out on top when it comes to performance. Also you get diminishing returns for extra cores because most programs still don't properly utilize multiple cores. (And some simply can't due to their nature.) An octo core versus a quad core for example is going to get you little to no noticeable performance in most applications. It would only be useful for things that are properly made to utilize multiple cores. (Compiling videos, rendering 3d images, I believe compiling programs would also be the same.)

From my understanding of it (I can't speak from experience here because I've never had a processor that could do it) a hyperthreaded quad core would be more useful for most people over an octo core for the most part. If it were me though I'd just stick to a simple quad core i5/i7 of the newest generation (since those almost always have slightly better performance at the same speeds as the last generation and usually use a little less power too) at the highest clock speed I could afford. Maybe upgrading the a k model to overclock if I still need more performance.

Although one thing an octo core might help with in addition to what I previously mentioned is recording with programs like Fraps which rely on processor power. With that you wouldn't need to worry even about games that can properly use four cores. (Though you would need to set the core affinities for Fraps so it wouldn't record on the same cores as the game just to be safe.)
💙💙💙

Return to “General Perversion”