Yes, It's a Thread About Nothing

General off-topic stuffs goes here.
Sarusig

Re: It's a Thread About Nothing

Postby Sarusig » February 13th, 2015, 3:21 am

Secret meeting hype.
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 13th, 2015, 5:55 am

Hm. I need to find (or make but I'm not the best artist) some tiles for my D&D map. I ended up using some hex tiles I found instead and they cover the majority of my needs except there's a few very important tiles missing. Namely there are no cliff tiles at all, no shore tiles, and no river tiles. Those are all fairly important seeing as there are two oceans on the map, a very large lake in the main portion, rivers flowing from the mountains to the lake then to the ocean, an island in the lake, and a very long stretch of cliffs along the ocean.

Edit: Also roads now that I think of it. Though I could use recolored river tiles fairly well for that if I could find any. Searching for anything involving hex map tiles is surprisingly unhelpful.
💙💙💙

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » February 13th, 2015, 7:13 am

Alice wrote:Hm. I need to find (or make but I'm not the best artist) some tiles for my D&D map. I ended up using some hex tiles I found instead and they cover the majority of my needs except there's a few very important tiles missing. Namely there are no cliff tiles at all, no shore tiles, and no river tiles. Those are all fairly important seeing as there are two oceans on the map, a very large lake in the main portion, rivers flowing from the mountains to the lake then to the ocean, an island in the lake, and a very long stretch of cliffs along the ocean.

Edit: Also roads now that I think of it. Though I could use recolored river tiles fairly well for that if I could find any. Searching for anything involving hex map tiles is surprisingly unhelpful.

Possibly any RPG maker VX (or XP?) resources could help you with that? Or The Spriters Resource?

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 13th, 2015, 7:18 am

Absolut Zero wrote:Possibly any RPG maker VX (or XP?) resources could help you with that? Or The Spriters Resource?

That was my original thought but I'd found a decent set of hex tiles, just that it turns out after the fact it's incomplete. (I didn't go through them at first because each tile was an individual image file.) RPG Maker tiles are square grid based so it wouldn't work well. (Also my hex grid tiles are fairly big, around 256x256 each.) I may have found a solution though if one of my friends comes through for me here though. They're alright at 2d art so they're willing to give it a go at making me some tiles.
💙💙💙

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » February 13th, 2015, 7:25 am

Oh true that! Hope it works out for you sorry I couldn't be of any help lol

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 13th, 2015, 8:51 am

Absolut Zero wrote:Oh true that! Hope it works out for you sorry I couldn't be of any help lol

No worries. I'm still waiting for my friend to finish the tiles but I've gotten started already.

This is the desert area sans the river that flows from the north, down along the cacti areas and around the Great Pyramid, then down to the oasis at Kaaba. It's also missing the mountain pass along the north east corner that will serve as an alternate route into the desert if the party doesn't want to pay the toll to pass through the Crimson Citadel along the east side of the mountains. It'll be very dangerous though and it's a strange pass because it leads from the frozen tundra area to the high end of the desert. (The desert is generally a fair bit higher in the north end than the south end.) Also missing roads but those are coming with the river tiles.
Far from perfect but it's not looking half bad really. Though I may need to recolor the labels. I was thinking that a gold color would look nice but it kinda blends in with the desert rather well. (Though most of the map isn't desert so it's not too big a deal.)
💙💙💙

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 13th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Like 6MB and 5500x4500 resolution warning.

Got a fair bit done on that. (Redid most of the desert details and base color too.) I still need to figure out a way to make the northern sea actually appear very frozen on the map. Also need to do the main area as well as the ocean south of the desert. Still waiting on tiles though. The most important ones to get are the river tiles then the shore tiles because the main town is right at the mouth of a river on a big ass lake. The cliff tiles are important for a large chunk of the ocean shoreline as well as large portions of the northern shoreline as well.
💙💙💙

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » February 13th, 2015, 6:00 pm

OMG double post :dansgame:

Mods pls ban.
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 13th, 2015, 7:01 pm

This mod can't even delete double threads, you're expcting too much competence here Lead. Pft.

Why isn't Lead a mod yet anyways?
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » February 13th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Alice wrote:
This is the desert area sans the river that flows from the north, down along the cacti areas and around the Great Pyramid, then down to the oasis at Kaaba. It's also missing the mountain pass along the north east corner that will serve as an alternate route into the desert if the party doesn't want to pay the toll to pass through the Crimson Citadel along the east side of the mountains. It'll be very dangerous though and it's a strange pass because it leads from the frozen tundra area to the high end of the desert. (The desert is generally a fair bit higher in the north end than the south end.) Also missing roads but those are coming with the river tiles.
Far from perfect but it's not looking half bad really. Though I may need to recolor the labels. I was thinking that a gold color would look nice but it kinda blends in with the desert rather well. (Though most of the map isn't desert so it's not too big a deal.)

That is pretty decent so far, still rough though. Also are those cacti near Kaaba representative? Meaning that the town is surrounded by a cactus forest? [Don't think so but the idea of a cactus forest seems very entertaining to me.]

Also dat name for the the northern ice place. I'd make fun of it...but in Real-life we have a place called Ice-land, right next to Greenland of course. Although fighting ice-mummies does seem like a silly prospect up there as well.

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » February 13th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Well my Internet magically showed back up :0 also make my username color grey ;)
A man of many voices

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 13th, 2015, 8:20 pm

I don't know why it seems weird to me to see Egyptique pyramids in a place named after the black stone in the Masjid alHaraam that I think is reasonably a compromise between Muhammad and the pagans. Most people confuse the Sahara with Sonora, let alone distinguish the Arabian and Saharan deserts
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » February 13th, 2015, 9:44 pm

*pelvic thrusts
A man of many voices

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 14th, 2015, 12:19 am

MM3D guys... guys... it's good.

Without spoilers of consequence I hope:

Good things so far: It's a lot more focused than the original; the ways you're supposed to go are pretty clear. Time management is a lot easier; you still can't save whenever like oot, but you can save whenever within the cycle at a number of save points, so it's more like Skyward Sword. There's also a lot more of them than you'd think, and time management is a lot easier than the original without being babby nuked. Another thing is how they go about with finding things; you still have to discover everything, but the game helps you keep track of your discoveries. The game also seems to move itself around faster, so you don't have to wait on the game as much (I'm not talking about the timer, I'm talking character movements and cutscenes and that sort of stuff)

More generally meh things - things are both easier and harder. Not radically, but noticeably. A not spoilery example: the game's brighter than the original, which I think is pretty good because that's something out of the player's control. But at the same time, some things are a lot harder, though it's mostly action related than puzzle related so far. Also of note: a *lot* of things have moved around through the general direction of what to do is the same, so you'll not be able to follow any old walkthrough if you want everything but you can follow them to know how to push events along.

Glitchwise - there isn't anything I've noticed casually. But doing some of the really arcane and crazy hex magic has yielded a lot of positive results <3 Notably, there's a way of getting the FD mask through those insane shenanigans so we're looking forward to that. Some things were patched, sadly ISG :( and Goron bomb boosting is gone, but you can get the gain with other enemy's help now so you can still have an early hookshot without rba stuff. A notable thing though - the thing that makes pirate's fortress not terrible appears to be in pirate's fortress now, not ikana, so if you do get ocean early you don't also have to get ikana early if you just want to have fun. Personally I think it will eclipse the original as a speedgame, or it would if 3ds streaming wasn't horrible.

Lastly, what I don't like so far: There's some actually pretty minor characterization changes. It actually serves as an improvement to the character because character wasn't that likeable at first, but I don't like the way character's been changed. They made some changes to movement that piss me off, but you spend so little time moving that way that it doesn't mean much. I only have one transformation mask though, so the others might have changed for the worse. And the way some of the things have been made harder comes at a bit of mind screw, but only if you're not paying attention (and by that I mean *really* not paying attention) I really loved the original though, so I don't have much to complain about.

So I hope if you had trouble liking the original you can give this version a try. If you absolutely hated it, I guess it depends on your reasons. But if you liked the original... omg this is good so far. But be prepared for a more radical overhaul of things than OoT3D.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » February 14th, 2015, 12:37 am

Oh man, can't wait to never be able to play it!
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 14th, 2015, 12:42 am

Isocitration wrote:Oh man, can't wait to never be able to play it!

One day you'll be an old iso, rummaging through a used game store, and find a 3ds for the equivalent of 20 bucks. you'll get a copy, and get mad at everything for your being too old to remember who you are half the time, damn kids

<tovakj> yes

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » February 14th, 2015, 1:58 am

A man of many voices

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 14th, 2015, 2:50 am

Zummorr wrote:That is pretty decent so far, still rough though. Also are those cacti near Kaaba representative? Meaning that the town is surrounded by a cactus forest? [Don't think so but the idea of a cactus forest seems very entertaining to me.]

It's not going to be a literal forest. It's just showing areas with more plant life than the rest of the desert. Since I don't have the tiles yet you can't see it but there's a river that runs from the mountains in the north, down around the Great Pyramid, then into the oasis at Kaaba.
Also dat name for the the northern ice place. I'd make fun of it...but in Real-life we have a place called Ice-land, right next to Greenland of course. Although fighting ice-mummies does seem like a silly prospect up there as well.

You mean the Crystal Pyramid? I'd chosen that name on purpose. Unlike the others which are going to be pyramids but made of ice it's going to be made of some sort of crystal. Also I don't actually plan on having the story explain why but at some point the desert actually came much farther north. Those ice pyramids were at one point normal pyramids but at some point inexplicably turned to ice. (Not even the most unrealistic part of the map either. It's not on this map since this map is the player version but there's a mountain floating out at sea somewhere like a giant freaking iceberg.)

Might actually move some of those landmarks over to the DM map. May be a bad idea to make so much of the map immediately available without any real exploring. (Currently there's only two things not on the player map. The floating mountain and then a story related area.) Though I do intend for navigation to be a real concern for the players so in places such as the north or the desert it'll be really easy to get lost if they're not careful.
Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:I don't know why it seems weird to me to see Egyptique pyramids in a place named after the black stone in the Masjid alHaraam that I think is reasonably a compromise between Muhammad and the pagans. Most people confuse the Sahara with Sonora, let alone distinguish the Arabian and Saharan deserts

Naming the town Kaaba was actually mostly a coincidence. I'd come up with a name that was spelled differently but pronounced the same then when I realized that it basically had the same name as the Islamic holy site so I decided to just change it. I was already intending the desert area to have some sort of religious basing anyways.
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 14th, 2015, 3:01 am

Alice wrote:
Zummorr wrote:That is pretty decent so far, still rough though. Also are those cacti near Kaaba representative? Meaning that the town is surrounded by a cactus forest? [Don't think so but the idea of a cactus forest seems very entertaining to me.]

It's not going to be a literal forest. It's just showing areas with more plant life than the rest of the desert. Since I don't have the tiles yet you can't see it but there's a river that runs from the mountains in the north, down around the Great Pyramid, then into the oasis at Kaaba.

You mean the Crystal Pyramid? I'd chosen that name on purpose. Unlike the others which are going to be pyramids but made of ice it's going to be made of some sort of crystal. Also I don't actually plan on having the story explain why but at some point the desert actually came much farther north. Those ice pyramids were at one point normal pyramids but at some point inexplicably turned to ice. (Not even the most unrealistic part of the map either. It's not on this map since this map is the player version but there's a mountain floating out at sea somewhere like a giant freaking iceberg.)

Might actually move some of those landmarks over to the DM map. May be a bad idea to make so much of the map immediately available without any real exploring. (Currently there's only two things not on the player map. The floating mountain and then a story related area.) Though I do intend for navigation to be a real concern for the players so in places such as the north or the desert it'll be really easy to get lost if they're not careful.
Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:I don't know why it seems weird to me to see Egyptique pyramids in a place named after the black stone in the Masjid alHaraam that I think is reasonably a compromise between Muhammad and the pagans. Most people confuse the Sahara with Sonora, let alone distinguish the Arabian and Saharan deserts

Naming the town Kaaba was actually mostly a coincidence. I'd come up with a name that was spelled differently but pronounced the same then when I realized that it basically had the same name as the Islamic holy site so I decided to just change it. I was already intending the desert area to have some sort of religious basing anyways.

I thought I'd look up the root to see if there was some interesting wordplay. But apparently Arabic has a weird of idea of verbs that should derive from "cube"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D9%83%D ... %A8#Arabic

<tovakj> yes

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » February 14th, 2015, 3:34 am

Alice wrote: You mean the Crystal Pyramid? I'd chosen that name on purpose. Unlike the others which are going to be pyramids but made of ice it's going to be made of some sort of crystal.

No I meant the whole region being named Taigara, you know the taiga-area, I was thinking that just adding an -ara or -ia to name is a pretty lame way to make it sounds neat, but thinking about it in RL Greenland and Ice-land are pretty lamely named as well, same thing goes for Ant-Artica the ant just meaning Anterior-Artic. Or for another example Corneria...the Corner-area because it is always in the lower left corner of the map.

Crystal pyramid makes sense, big 'ol crystal pyramid from a civilization that died. We don't know the original name just call it by what it looks like.

I'm just weird and indecisive when it comes to names. Hard to come up with good ones.
Last edited by Zummorr on February 14th, 2015, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 14th, 2015, 3:40 am

Zummorr wrote:
Alice wrote: You mean the Crystal Pyramid? I'd chosen that name on purpose. Unlike the others which are going to be pyramids but made of ice it's going to be made of some sort of crystal.

No I meant the whole region being named Taigara, you know the taiga-area, I was thinking that just adding an -ara or -ia to name is a pretty lame way to make it sounds neat, but thinking about it in RL Greenland and Ice-land are pretty lamely named as well, same thing goes for Ant-Artica the ant just meaning Anterior-Artic.

Crystal pyramid makes sense, big 'ol crystal pyramid from a civilization that died. We don't know the original name just call it by what it looks like.

I'm just weird and indecisive when it comes to names. Hard to come up with good ones.

I has a solution: Taigastan

Edit: With the capital being Taigagrade, of the Taigabad sub region, part of the autonomous South Taigastan Tengriist Special Administrative Region of the Revolutionary Counter Revolutionary People's Popular Democratic Soviet Republican Constitutional Monarchy Jamahuria of Taigastani Taigastanis

<tovakj> yes

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 14th, 2015, 3:52 am

Zummorr wrote:No I meant the whole region being named Taigara, you know the taiga-area, I was thinking that just adding an -ara or -ia to name is a pretty lame way to make it sounds neat, but thinking about it in RL Greenland and Ice-land are pretty lamely named as well, same thing goes for Ant-Artica the ant just meaning Anterior-Artic. Or for another example Corneria...the Corner-area because it is always in the lower left corner of the map.

Oh, alright. Well to be fair I've put very little effort into the names so far and I may change some of them later on. For the vast majority of them it was literally the first thing that came to mind. The only two I've put any real thought into are the tomb on the volcano in Taigaria and the main town of Medlin. (Which is meant to sound like 'meddling' since that's what the players are going to be doing.)
💙💙💙

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » February 14th, 2015, 3:58 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:I has a solution: Taigastan

Edit: With the capital being Taigagrade, of the Taigabad sub region, part of the autonomous South Taigastan Tengriist Special Administrative Region of the Revolutionary Counter Revolutionary People's Popular Democratic Soviet Republican Constitutional Monarchy Jamahuria of Taigastani Taigastanis

Only if the major boss of the region is a lich named Crosen Taiga who wants to put all of Asghorest under his Frozen Curtain.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 14th, 2015, 6:16 am

I fail to see the issue. Who wouldn't want the heart of the person they love? Lol.
💙💙💙

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » February 14th, 2015, 6:37 am

I need all the vital organs I can get
A man of many voices

Dr. Shemp

Postby Dr. Shemp » February 14th, 2015, 11:54 am

Zummorr wrote:

No I meant the whole region being named Taigara, you know the taiga-area, I was thinking that just adding an -ara or -ia to name is a pretty lame way to make it sounds neat, but thinking about it in RL Greenland and Ice-land are pretty lamely named as well, same thing goes for Ant-Artica the ant just meaning Anterior-Artic. Or for another example Corneria...the Corner-area because it is always in the lower left corner of the map.

On the other hand, since most place names are dull and descriptive in real life, making them dull and descriptive in an invented setting should make the invented setting more real, shouldn't it? When it comes down to it most towns or cities are either named after a person (e.g. St Petersburg) or the activity that the town was known for (e.g. Kingsbridge), probably in an older version of the language depending on how old the place is.

So in that sense Taigara works well (assuming people commonly say taiga). They start off calling it Taiga Area and over time it corrupts to Taigara. Although even then something more mundane like a corruption of White Forest would seem more likely. Most realistic would be, if it was an old place, to use the Old English - in this case Healfhwít Holt - or a corruption of that.

But that's just my opinion.
When I pray, and sometimes I do, I pray to myself. And if I’m lucky, I answer myself.

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » February 14th, 2015, 1:25 pm

Whoa, Alice is making a game?
And Iso started Gah2?!

A lot can happen in a week!

Like me finally getting better internet. It's AT&T U-Verse, and I've already noticed a HUGE difference in reliability. The speeds aren't fluctuating 24/7! And the 12 mbps down is really, REALLY nice. The only thing I'm a little bummed about is that the upload speed is only 1 mbps, but hey. A stable 1 is a lot better than an all-over-the-place 2 which is usually closer to 0.5.
I also wonder how much additional bandwidth it would take to livestream at 60fps as opposed to 30fps. HMMM

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 14th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Frozelar wrote:Whoa, Alice is making a game?

It's nothing big, just a D&D campaign I'm doing for my irl friends.
💙💙💙

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » February 15th, 2015, 2:28 am

Dr. Shemp wrote:
Zummorr wrote:

On the other hand, since most place names are dull and descriptive in real life, making them dull and descriptive in an invented setting should make the invented setting more real, shouldn't it? When it comes down to it most towns or cities are either named after a person (e.g. St Petersburg) or the activity that the town was known for (e.g. Kingsbridge), probably in an older version of the language depending on how old the place is.

So in that sense Taigara works well (assuming people commonly say taiga). They start off calling it Taiga Area and over time it corrupts to Taigara. Although even then something more mundane like a corruption of White Forest would seem more likely. Most realistic would be, if it was an old place, to use the Old English - in this case Healfhwít Holt - or a corruption of that.

But that's just my opinion.

Its a fair opinion and you are expanding an idea that I just touched on. It's just I personally am super indecisive and picky about my fictional names (character and place) so it spills over sometimes. Not all of us can be Tolkien and invent languages...and even then his were based on stuff. And probably way to much work for any non-linguistic scholars.

I just see it as as a problematic balance between meaning (just hearing or reading the name stirs vague ideas about the place by its root words or sounds) and originality (which by hearing or reading the name you know it is fictional but still plays by whatever rules the author has set up or based it on.)

Best choice is obviously to not be so anal, just look your left and base your name on whatever you see. "Behold our hero! Plate-os of Swee-potatoini." :kappa:

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 15th, 2015, 3:13 am

When will raocow join the isohaus, that's where I'm curious

<tovakj> yes

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 15th, 2015, 3:21 am

Calling it he's already here under a fake name.

#shootitinthemouth

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 15th, 2015, 3:25 am

Double posting heck yeah it's the dump thread anyways.

We've got 12 peepz online right now, on Valentine's Day. Our record day was on the 1st of January. I think this tells a lot about this community.

#shootitinthemouth

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 15th, 2015, 3:26 am

Sarusig wrote:Calling it he's already here under a fake name.

c'est vrai, tu me avais pris

:keepo:

<tovakj> yes

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 15th, 2015, 3:26 am

Hon hon hon.

#shootitinthemouth

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » February 15th, 2015, 3:27 am

I'm secretly raocow (also I already told him to join)
A man of many voices

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 15th, 2015, 3:30 am

Sarusig wrote:Hon hon hon.

see my joke about being raocow was funny because I was talking to a french speaker who could tell I just looked words up on wiktionary, it was transparent enough to actually look like I was someone else

<tovakj> yes

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 15th, 2015, 3:32 am

You gotta use all that weird Quebec slang though, if you don't it doesn't look cliché enough.

#shootitinthemouth

Mimakari

Postby Mimakari » February 15th, 2015, 3:33 am

Yeah you gotta put in some quebecer swear words otherwise we'll know what's up

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 15th, 2015, 3:35 am

Sarusig wrote:You gotta use all that weird Quebec slang though, if you don't it doesn't look cliché enough.

simonak, tabarnak, poutine, magasiner, upgrader

je suis pychedelic eyeball aussi

<tovakj> yes

Mimakari

Postby Mimakari » February 15th, 2015, 3:37 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:je suis pychedelic eyeball aussi

Stop being me :kappa:

Return to “General Perversion”