Video games! What have you been playing?

General off-topic stuffs goes here.
Glitch

Video games! What have you been playing?

Postby Glitch » October 10th, 2015, 1:43 am

I'm kind of surprised not to see this topic.

But hey guys guess what I've been busy with the past month or so

Addiction what addiction
(I have another 50 hours on console, ended up switching to PC so my roomie could have the console)

What have you guys been playing? :D
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

Alice
⦂☽

Re: Video games! What have you been playing?

Postby Alice » October 10th, 2015, 4:08 am

Oh hey, there's a thread here.

I've been playing mostly Distorted Travesty 3 lately. It's a lot better mechanically than the previous games, though the difficulty is more inconsistent at times. The start of the game and the first major area are actually more difficult than the second and, so far, third areas simply due to there being a lot of limits on what you can attack and how.

I also got Skullgirls in the current HIB and that's pretty fun. Though I think people I've talked to about it have overstated the difficulty. People say it's a really difficult fighting game but I chose what a lot of them consider the most difficult character to start off as (Double) and other than struggling in my first two matches since I didn't do practice mode or anything I had no trouble at all up until the final fight in story mode which took me three tries. (And those two losses are my only losses at the moment. I even got a perfect on one round.) Not a huge fan of how scantily clad the characters are but I like the art style quite a lot.
💙💙💙

Buttson

Postby Buttson » October 10th, 2015, 4:58 am

I've been getting back into fighting games after not touching them since last generation, a bit of Skullgirls with a bit of Third Strike on fightcade, I just picked up Street Fighter IV tonight since I found it for super cheap and I'm churning through challenges and AI matches seeing who I want to main.

Alice we should Skull the Girls some time, and anyone else since I'm assuming at least a few of you got it in the humble bundle.
Image Dicks

pholtos

Postby pholtos » October 10th, 2015, 5:15 am

Osu! (I'm pretty good I'd say)
Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (w/ save states, no way am I good enough to play this without)
MGS: Peace Walker
GMod
Earthbound

Speedless

Postby Speedless » October 10th, 2015, 5:33 am

Valdis Story. All of the Valdis Story. I'm currently trying to figure out how to cope with Goibniu Mode. For me, that involves playing through the game on Hard, taking the approximate path I'm planning on for Goibniu Mode attempts, and trying to judge what stats and skills will give me the short-term power I need to not die to the next boss. Also, I'm trying to learn some solid strategies for each boss so that I'll be more likely to make it through any given attempt... in theory. Usually, though, once the fight starts, trying to figure out boss patterns goes right out the window, and I end up blindly attacking out of panic to make the fight go faster (especially in the early boss fights, where the target times all seem a lot shorter compared to the amount of damage you can do). (This is why I'm comparing builds on Hard instead of practicing on God Slayer--panic and God Slayer don't mix.)

Also, I just like playing Valdis Story a lot more on the lower difficulties right now.

I also randomly decided to pick up my old Pokemon Crystal game that I put down because I didn't feel like extreme level-grinding to fight Red... and found that I could totally take him out without any more grinding. I didn't even use my Venomoth at all during the fight, even if I really should have used it (or my Gengar) to tank Solarbeams from Red's Venusaur.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 10th, 2015, 5:37 am

tried playing a thing, but I had some issues with the sound and got mad, too busy for much else lately

lately been letting clicker heroes distract me from things, not good ideas
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Ashan

Postby Ashan » October 10th, 2015, 5:41 am

I haven't been keeping up a ton with video games since this semester started, but I recently got a SFC cart of Yoshi's Island, so I've been playing through that for the first time in years. It's a super fun game casually.
► Show Spoiler

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 10th, 2015, 6:11 am

Buttson wrote:I've been getting back into fighting games after not touching them since last generation, a bit of Skullgirls with a bit of Third Strike on fightcade, I just picked up Street Fighter IV tonight since I found it for super cheap and I'm churning through challenges and AI matches seeing who I want to main.

Alice we should Skull the Girls some time, and anyone else since I'm assuming at least a few of you got it in the humble bundle.

Does the non-Steam version actually support multiplayer? Cause that's the version I've been playing.
💙💙💙

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » October 10th, 2015, 7:57 am

Alice wrote:Oh hey, there's a thread here.

I've been playing mostly Distorted Travesty 3 lately. It's a lot better mechanically than the previous games, though the difficulty is more inconsistent at times. The start of the game and the first major area are actually more difficult than the second and, so far, third areas simply due to there being a lot of limits on what you can attack and how.

I also got Skullgirls in the current HIB and that's pretty fun. Though I think people I've talked to about it have overstated the difficulty. People say it's a really difficult fighting game but I chose what a lot of them consider the most difficult character to start off as (Double) and other than struggling in my first two matches since I didn't do practice mode or anything I had no trouble at all up until the final fight in story mode which took me three tries. (And those two losses are my only losses at the moment. I even got a perfect on one round.) Not a huge fan of how scantily clad the characters are but I like the art style quite a lot.

I might pick up DT3. See if it holds me more than the first one.

As far as beginning in fighting games, I'm not experienced at SG, Played a bit with my brothers but since it's not super popular among us I haven't heavily dived into it.

But I played a decent amount of Smash bros 4, Persona 4 Arena and Ultimate Marvel versus Capcom 3, a little street fighter 4. I never really reached what I would call "Skillful" levels.
But I did reach the skill level of "Friends won't play with me anymore."

I think what trips most people up when beginning air-dasher, or marvel style fighting games, is that they don't quite realize that there is usually basic 1-2-3 combo system for the light,medium, and heavy attacks. So they just kinda hit all the buttons separately and lose out on damage while exposing themselves to the computer's generally brutal counter attack.

Once you learn the basic "autopilot" forms for damage then you have to learn, how to get to it by moving around the screen. Generally in air dashers offense is pretty hard to stop, so jumping and air dashing in with some absurd attack with say Magneto, Adachi, or Felia can lead to easy pressure and easy gate-ways to damage.

After you learn how to move your character and how to get basic damage, then you just have to learn how to apply it against your opponent and not forget everything you tried to teach yourself and mash all the buttons. -.-

I like fighting games, but I think the barrier of entry can be pretty dumb. It's alot of hoops to jump through to become competent. Skullgirls is still really good. But it still requires hoop jumping.

My biggest gripe though is that fighting games are generally pretty bad at teaching you "how to play" I'm not sure how good SG's tutorial is but I distinctly remember Street fighter 4's and Marvel's "tutorial combos" to be difficult and impractical, and worst of all the tutorials completely neglect that movement and spacing are far more important, since if you can't land a hit into a combo, knowing it doesn't matter.

Guilty Gear Xrd's tutorial is crazy comprehensive. Though teaching you an advanced technique regarding throws before it even gets into special moves seems weird to me.

Today I played Arcade mode MvC2, some Street fighter EX alpha. and some Crystalis

For marvel 2 even with the knowledge of cable's Hyper Viper super being super good and decent knowledge of how these style games work. I struggled to get damage in on my opponent, and if I were playing against any other similar skill leveled opponent We'd probably time out almost every match.

Street fighter EX Is ugly and weird but surprisingly fun, it's like street fighter 4 but fireballs are bad and whiffing pokes is super punishable.

Crystalis is really good, reminds me of willow, but less clunky

I'm going to start on Rockman 4 Minus Infinity tomorrow, Don't remember much of Raocow's run, but the absurd awesomeness of that game must be experienced.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 10th, 2015, 8:15 am

Zummorr wrote:I might pick up DT3. See if it holds me more than the first one.

While there are the inconsistencies with difficulty, on the whole I'd say it's far far more fair than DT1 and 2 if that was your concern. Even the parts that are legitimately more difficult than similar stuff in DT1/2 feels far more fair. Especially with the far better character physics. While you still move at a fair speed you don't feel so overly squirrely, especially in the air. And on top of that, when you get the dash (you don't start with it for plot reasons), it's nowhere near as likely to get in your way because Zephyr got a lot of complaints about the previous dash systems. You can actually use the old system (up+jump for forward dash and down+jump for back dash), the DT2 system which iirc was dash right/left (or that's a new one to his game too, I forget) then you can also set it so that it's a forward/back dash instead of a left/right dash. Far more flexible since it allows people to play how they want and overall feels a lot better.
I think what trips most people up when beginning air-dasher, or marvel style fighting games, is that they don't quite realize that there is usually basic 1-2-3 combo system for the light,medium, and heavy attacks. So they just kinda hit all the buttons separately and lose out on damage while exposing themselves to the computer's generally brutal counter attack.

Not quoting the rest cause there was a lot of text but this part seems the most relevant to what I'm saying.

This actually seems to be a fair chunk of it. Most people I know that play fighting games end up button mashing. While I can never remember combos well enough to do anything too terribly advanced I can do pretty well with basic moves and that's what I did here. I found some simple combos that worked well and learned quickly when I should use them. Skullgirls in particular doesn't seem to work well at all with button mashing compared to just about every other fighting game I've played.

And because of Double's nature as a sort of mimic character she (or he, I'm not actually certain since their base appearance is a female nun yet the voice you hear constantly is a male Texan drawl sort of deal) has some pretty interesting combos based on other characters. Double's heavy punch in particular ended up a staple of my combos simply because it has really decent range and has a pretty high likelihood of knocking the opponent down. The medium kick I think it was is actually really useful too, especially in conjunction with heavy punch. Medium kick without a direction kicks upwards and will knock the enemy into the air. My basic combo was light kick, light kick, (Double has a really quick two hit combo with light kick that has very low recovery time too) medium kick, then wait until they were in range and a heavy punch. The computer would rarely be able to defend against enough of the combo to stay up.

Though in the case of the final fight that was less effective because the character you fight, at least in Double's storyline, is apparently impossible to make flinch or knock down. And on top of that she can basically hit you from anywhere, her attacks are fast enough that it's pretty difficult to see them coming and react, and on top of that they hit pretty hard or multiple times depending on the attack, typically knocking you away from her.
💙💙💙

Buttson

Postby Buttson » October 10th, 2015, 8:44 am

Alice wrote:Does the non-Steam version actually support multiplayer? Cause that's the version I've been playing.

From what I've gathered it doesn't, shame.

Also I think what people were getting at about it being a really hard fighting game is more high level play, where someone can hit you once and then if you don't know what you're doing to avoid a reset you will die before ever getting a chance to block, unfortunately a lot of the people left playing online have been at it for years too so there's a bit of a barrier there. In terms of basic systems and tutorials though it's totally beginner friendly, everything chains in a logical way and everyone has more or less the same basic 1-2-launcher-jump-1-2-special-super combos.

Dicks

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » October 10th, 2015, 9:05 am

Regarding DT1 it was the fact that the dash weird arc and you had to press weird button combo for it and you slip everywhere. Just it never really felt natural to press up+jump to go forward. Certain things kinda bugged me too, like the game being kinda janky to control and then making fun of itself for being janky. Like when the game is like "lol this bosses attack is totally covered up by the text!" I'm not a fan of the player being the butt of a joke. *shrug*

Double iirc doesn't have as much mobility but makes up for with range and big hits and technical stuff. I'd offer tips and my advice but I'm staying away from training modes if my friends aren't actively playing a game.

Fighting games when it comes down to it are mostly about spacing and judgement calls. You can do pretty well in street fighter 4 if you simply just play slowly with Ryu and whittle your opponent down with fireballs and Lmk. While judging when they will jump and properly Anti-airing with uppercuts.

From the little I've played of SGs it seemed that you can do really well with solo Felia if you understood how to approach and capitalize on hits. She seemed like the Ryu of the game. Not necessarily the balanced all-around character. But the character that the game mechanics were built around. Cerabella is also very solid, but she's a grappler and 360 motions aren't for everyone.

@Buttson The problem of an overly experienced community is prevalent in most long lived fighting games (even starcraft has this problem) I guess the choice is to either just play casually with friends or accept that you will get crushed many times online before you start getting better. I'd imagine though that the pool is filled with beginners given the recent indie bundle though. Still good to hear that SGs has actual tutorials.

Some fighting games are alot harder to break into than others. Soul Calibur 2 is much easier to win through completely random buttons than street fighter 4. And you will never even be able to move in Marvel unless you wavedash. Someone who is experienced will still wreck you in any of those, but it's the skill floor difference, how good do you have to get to become competent.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 10th, 2015, 9:39 am

Zummorr wrote:Regarding DT1 it was the fact that the dash weird arc and you had to press weird button combo for it and you slip everywhere. Just it never really felt natural to press up+jump to go forward. Certain things kinda bugged me too, like the game being kinda janky to control and then making fun of itself for being janky. Like when the game is like "lol this bosses attack is totally covered up by the text!" I'm not a fan of the player being the butt of a joke. *shrug*

The dashing is definitely no longer such a weird problem. For the gamepad controls if you have the up+jump/down+jump dashing disabled then dashing would be the left and right bumper on an Xbox controller or L1/R1 on a Playstation style controller. The slippery physics are also no longer a problem. Moving around feels tons better to the point that I don't even mind having to land on tiny 16x16px blocks like was so common in the first game. I always struggled with that a lot in DT1 but I don't think I've died more than 3-4 times from jumps like that so far in DT3 and I'm most of the way through gate 3 of, I think, 6. As for the "lol this bosses attack is totally covered up by the text!" thing I haven't seen anything like that yet and I don't think there'll be anything like it to come either. Zephyr learned a lot about what to do and what not to do from the first two games. Closest thing I've had to that is simply a tutorial dialog slightly getting in the way shortly after you get the dash ability and even that's not really in the way, just close to what you need to be aiming for.

I'd recommend at least giving it a try. Preferably up to at least gate 2 though. The tutorial bit and gate 1 work a bit oddly if you're used to the way attacking works in the other games. It's only starting at gate 2 that you'll get back to a more standard attack method.
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 10th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Ashan wrote:I haven't been keeping up a ton with video games since this semester started, but I recently got a SFC cart of Yoshi's Island, so I've been playing through that for the first time in years. It's a super fun game casually.

When I was a kid my parents were split up, and I was with my dad. Every once in while I'd get to see my mom, but not that often. Her boyfriend who'd end up being my sister's dad had the game though, and when she moved in with him, she and I'd play YI. So I have a lot of really fun memories of mom and me going through the game. Like sucking at basic things, getting really lost in that late world 6 level, freaking out over kamek, eating lsd, or like mom abusing the memory game waay beyond patience
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » October 11th, 2015, 2:05 am

Just got the new chibi robo on 3DS and it's fucking adorable
A man of many voices

Glitch

Postby Glitch » October 11th, 2015, 2:24 am

I picked up DT1 at one point and I ended up putting it down for whatever reason... that was a few years back.
I either need to pick it up again or watch raocow's LP of it so I'm caught up for DT3.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 11th, 2015, 2:32 am

GlitchedGhost wrote:I either need to pick it up again or watch raocow's LP of it so I'm caught up for DT3.

There's a back story option on the main menu of DT3 that covers the important points of DT1 and 2.
💙💙💙

Glitch

Postby Glitch » October 11th, 2015, 9:17 am

Alice wrote:
GlitchedGhost wrote:I either need to pick it up again or watch raocow's LP of it so I'm caught up for DT3.

There's a back story option on the main menu of DT3 that covers the important points of DT1 and 2.

Oh nice! I'll have to check those out.
(Still wouldn't mind watching the LPs either, but it's a good option for me since my attention can be iffy sometimes.)

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » October 11th, 2015, 12:52 pm

It depends on what draws me at the moment. But currently, Avernum and Disgaea 4 are eating most of my playtime. I've already described what Avernum's like (honestly, it's not that far off from the classic Fallout games, both being isometric, turn-based, Western-style RPGs that lack character classes, have a large amount of dialogue, and take place in less-than-utopian settings. Course, Avernum has fantasy and magic, and is set in an underground prison of sorts). I don't really know if I can describe Disgaea very well, but it's a Strategy-RPG series where you're playing as demons trying to assert their rule of the Netherworld and stopping humans from doing profoundly stupid things that, honestly, any individual can agree is idiotic yet somehow we have the ability to forget all that in large groups. I could make a whole rant questioning why the fuck that is, that there's wars and such when no one likes them, but that's another story entirely.

Another game that I've been playing the hell out of is a mod for Final Fantasy V Advance that basically makes it so that every class is set up similarly to the Mime in the original, with a class-specific command and three empty ability slots. It also does some other things, too, like changing the order you get jobs (including putting the GBA-exclusive jobs in Bartz's World, rather than having you wait to late in Planet R or whatever it's called to get them) and the power of certain spells. It can be found here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/856/. Be warned: in my experience, it makes the game a bit easier. But also a hell of a lot more fun.

Funny thing is, despite my fangirlism, I don't play La-Mulana much at all, and haven't gotten far in it (well, I beat the first three bosses, but I'm just too crap to get much further). So I doubt I'll be able to engage my wife anytime soon :tsad2: (not that I'm looking forward to it :undecided: )
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Rhihad

Postby Rhihad » October 11th, 2015, 7:00 pm

I've been on a bit of a videogame slump lately. Not many games really interest me currently. I've only been grinding it up in Shin Megami Tensei VI, but it's mostly just some random playing here and there. Fortunately though quite a few of the big upcoming products are close to release. Going to be an intensive quarter incoming. Then again, I'll be travelling to Japan next week for a bit so not like I could do much gaming there anyways. Isaac will be out by the time I get back home and then it'll be time to get back in the bees knees.

Stuff that I'm really looking forward to in the mean time:
- The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth
- Fallout 4
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Dark Souls 3

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » October 12th, 2015, 1:01 am

So if you use other amiibo in chibi robo you unlock trophies and coins
A man of many voices

metasomnia

Postby metasomnia » October 13th, 2015, 9:37 am

This is a thing apparently

I just finished Crystal Story II, and I'm still working on A Game with a Kitty 2, Bunny Must Die and Camera Obscura

There's also Distorted Travesty 1, Within a Deep Forest, Beret, and Touhou 06 that I've played a bit of but didn't go all the way through for some reason

Edit: Uhhhh, looking through my games folder, I notice there's actually quite a few games I had been overlooking for some time, including New Super Marisa Land and MariAri 1
Last edited by metasomnia on October 13th, 2015, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a literal signature:

Aposke
Location: Take my post count and subtract 400. That's how many good posts I've made

Postby Aposke » October 13th, 2015, 11:25 am

EarthPhantomTS wrote:Funny thing is, despite my fangirlism, I don't play La-Mulana much at all, and haven't gotten far in it (well, I beat the first three bosses, but I'm just too crap to get much further). So I doubt I'll be able to engage my wife anytime soon :tsad2: (not that I'm looking forward to it :undecided: )

But you guys are already engaged!

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » October 13th, 2015, 11:30 am

Aposke wrote:
EarthPhantomTS wrote:Funny thing is, despite my fangirlism, I don't play La-Mulana much at all, and haven't gotten far in it (well, I beat the first three bosses, but I'm just too crap to get much further). So I doubt I'll be able to engage my wife anytime soon :tsad2: (not that I'm looking forward to it :undecided: )

But you guys are already engaged!

You know which meaning of "engage" I used :tstick2: !
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Aposke
Location: Take my post count and subtract 400. That's how many good posts I've made

Postby Aposke » October 13th, 2015, 11:57 am

So, uh, I mostly play rhythm games.

Beatmania IIDX
Sound Voltex
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX

I also play Cities Skylines and other simulation-type games sometimes. Pretty boring stuff, I suppose.

Tran_ijaka

Postby Tran_ijaka » October 14th, 2015, 12:49 am

Well my current games include starbound, and guild wars 2 as well as hopefully mugen again soon.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » October 14th, 2015, 2:20 am

So, flashback to a month or 2 ago:
I ordered a SFC Yoshi's Island cart. It was supposed to come in a few weeks. I waited until the LATEST expected arrival date, and it still hadn't come. I waited another few weeks, and it still hadn't come, so I went on Ebay and filed that it hadn't arrived. My money was refunded, and I used it to buy another one from a different seller. A few weeks later, my cart arrived, yay!
Flash forward to today, another one arrived in the mail. So I'm not sure which one came first, but either way, both arrived and I only paid 1 seller.
I mean, they're both like huge sellers on Ebay, so I'm guessing that's why the first one just refunded me the $10 anyway without any hassle, but yeah. Now I have 2 carts. I'm probably gonna give one to my friend since he was asking to borrow it at some point anyway.
► Show Spoiler

Ashan

Postby Ashan » October 15th, 2015, 5:55 am

I don't think I meant to post that in this thread but I guess it kinda works
► Show Spoiler

pholtos

Postby pholtos » October 17th, 2015, 2:48 am

So I decided to replay portal 2 and after that started to do the challenge mode a bit. I've managed to either tie or beat out everyone on my friends list on portals and have gotten first timewise on every one of the 5 in the courtesy call section. (Which basically came down to beating Iso's, Ashan's or Jolpe's times.) Ashan had a pretty hard time to beat on Smooth Jazz, only beat that time by a bit over a second. Yeesh.

Glitch

Postby Glitch » October 23rd, 2015, 3:42 am

I ended up taking a few day's break from NV a week ago to play Undertale. It was a really nice game - the battle system was really fun, the characters were very well written, and the story was amazing. For ten bucks, it's totally worth the buy.
I tried a genocide run, but ended up quitting at Undyne. She was pretty difficult; the lowest I got her down was half health.

I did end up beating NV a few days ago, with around 250 hours on it - granted, I'm terrible at leaving the game open and going and doing something else, like making food or checking Tumblr. But either way, I had so much fun and completed it the best I could. I started a new character, so now I'm playing through the game again, this time with the Wild Wasteland perk. I found a gnome in a bush already with a note attached to it about there being more. Lmao what the hell man.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » October 23rd, 2015, 4:06 am

Bought myself Yoshi's Wooly World today.
Got upsold on the spot as soon as I saw the bundle with the little yarn Yoshi.
But I mean... JUST LOOK AT HIM
HE'S ADORABLE
► Show Spoiler

Speedless

Postby Speedless » October 23rd, 2015, 4:43 am

In the past, I've been easily overwhelmed by real-time strategy games, but Valdis Story has made me more comfortable with the idea of not needing all the upgrades to win. I figured that idea could help me play a little smarter than young me did, so I decided to try Age of Empires III again. It's going okay so far. Once or twice, I remembered to leave some guys to defend my colony while my main army was attacking. I even managed to start a successful attack as early as the third age!

I have to wonder, though, whether it was really necessary to prevent the player from getting more than 30,000 XP in a single battle. Sure, it would be easy enough to farm XP, but the players who'd bother to do that would probably figure out soon enough that stalling isn't all that fun or effective as a strategy. It almost feels like an artificial barrier to prevent players from leveling up "too fast"... Maybe they were trying to hint that the effects of leveling up really aren't that important in the long run?

GlitchedGhost wrote:I did end up beating NV a few days ago, with around 250 hours on it - granted, I'm terrible at leaving the game open and going and doing something else, like making food or checking Tumblr.

Now that you've said that, I'm suddenly reminded of that one time I had to pause for lunch halfway up Trainer Hill in Pokemon Emerald. The timer for the challenge kept going while the game was paused, so my reward was... underwhelming. (I guess it must have been a Great Ball--my time was over 40 minutes, I think.) This is why I appreciate Valdis Story pausing the game timer while the game's paused.

Ashan wrote:Bought myself Yoshi's Wooly World today.
HE'S ADORABLE

That... is an actual, physical Yarn Yoshi?

Ashan, you have spoken truly.

Glitch

Postby Glitch » October 23rd, 2015, 6:13 am

HE'S ADORABLE

SCREAMS I NEED IT
HE IS SUPER ADORABLE

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » October 23rd, 2015, 7:45 am

I bought a pink and blue yarn Yoshi ;3
A man of many voices

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 23rd, 2015, 8:15 am

HE'S ADORABLE

i want this

i have no more money tho

or prospects for gifts

i need to figure out some way of income one day

<tovakj> yes

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 23rd, 2015, 8:35 am

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:I bought a pink and blue yarn Yoshi ;3

Post a picture of it.
💙💙💙

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » October 23rd, 2015, 6:17 pm

Alice wrote:
InsaneIntentions1 wrote:I bought a pink and blue yarn Yoshi ;3

Post a picture of it.

I will once I get back home ~
A man of many voices

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » October 23rd, 2015, 6:48 pm

Well, before my computer broke, it was CS:GO, Fistful of Frags (probably the best Source mod right now), and Valdis Story: Abyssal City. And Tastes Like Spelunky on YouTube, which is a (classic) Spelunky mod. A really good one, at that.
:[

Ashan

Postby Ashan » October 23rd, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: yarn Yoshi

Like, yeah, I've never been into Amiibo and I had seen a picture of the yarn Yoshi amiibo when it was first announced, but to see it in person... It's so small and cute. He's living on my desk from now on.
► Show Spoiler

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » October 23rd, 2015, 10:04 pm

Ashan wrote:Re: yarn Yoshi

Like, yeah, I've never been into Amiibo and I had seen a picture of the yarn Yoshi amiibo when it was first announced, but to see it in person... It's so small and cute. He's living on my desk from now on.

Image yo
A man of many voices

Return to “General Perversion”