Video games! What have you been playing?

General off-topic stuffs goes here.
Alice
⦂☽

Re: Video games! What have you been playing?

Postby Alice » February 17th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Got a decent amount of work done yesterday on getting the true ending. I got all the good ending requirements sans two that aren't available until the next chapter. Also completed Stella's Dungeon. (Completed in this case meaning that I finished each floor twice so I could get both of their lost locations, got all plans available from said floor, and got all HDD components from each floor.) I'm going to be really pissed if I somehow manage to only get the good ending again. I've gone over the requirements time and again and I just do not know how I failed to get the true ending. I clearly had the good ending requirements since that's the ending I got. And the other requirements are viewing six events, something I definitely did because every time I finished an event I went looking for the others. After I finished the last one I unlocked a dungeon which signifies the end of that chapter.
💙💙💙

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 18th, 2017, 8:02 pm

I just had a random thought explaining why Re;Birth 1's story (and map) are so different from the others. All the random characters that show up always state they're from a different dimension. So it'd be logical to conclude that Re;Birth 1's Hyperdimension is actually an alternate Hyperdimension to the main one, much like Ultradimension is in Re;Birth 3. It'd also explain some of the specific observations they make about Neptune and the other CPUs in this dimension. So it's probably not just totally disconnected from the last two games like I was originally thinking.
💙💙💙

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » February 18th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Alice wrote:I just had a random thought explaining why Re;Birth 1's story (and map) are so different from the others. All the random characters that show up always state they're from a different dimension. So it'd be logical to conclude that Re;Birth 1's Hyperdimension is actually an alternate Hyperdimension to the main one, much like Ultradimension is in Re;Birth 3. It'd also explain some of the specific observations they make about Neptune and the other CPUs in this dimension. So it's probably not just totally disconnected from the last two games like I was originally thinking.

You know, I bet that's true.

Oh, I don't have much to add to that. Just that it's an interesting idea.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 21st, 2017, 5:43 am

So I think I figured out how I missed the true ending on my first playthrough. I think I did actually miss one of the events. One of the events happens in the Powerlevel Island dungeon and I did unlock that on my first cycle but I think that I unlocked it during the final chapter when the events are all in chapter 9. I definitely got it this time. I made a checklist of everything I needed and definitely got it all. And I saw a cutscene during one of the events that I hadn't seen before.
💙💙💙

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » February 21st, 2017, 3:13 pm

Alice wrote:So I think I figured out how I missed the true ending on my first playthrough. I think I did actually miss one of the events. One of the events happens in the Powerlevel Island dungeon and I did unlock that on my first cycle but I think that I unlocked it during the final chapter when the events are all in chapter 9. I definitely got it this time. I made a checklist of everything I needed and definitely got it all. And I saw a cutscene during one of the events that I hadn't seen before.

That's good, that you figured out what happened. I was worried that you ran into a weird bug of some sort.

Anyway, as for me, I've been playing some more of the Avernum Remix mod, and I found some interesting stuff. For instance, the Warmth Ring apparently had its +15% Cold Resistance changed to +15% Melee Damage (yes, seriously! I was surprised, too, wondering if I read it right!). Also, I now have reason to use the Lava Fired Spear (which is relatively unchanged beyond how Spears are generally changed), because my Mage has zero reason to *not* wield a Spear since Shields are more encumbering (and also less useful for a back row character). Also also, after a while of wondering how Slartifer buffed Cave Lore (as I kept getting mediocre items in stashes still), I finally found that the Ten Blessings Band (I...think...I'll have to check) was changed to something called the Four Stone Band, which gives (get this!) +2 Mage Spells, +2 Priest Spells, +2 Intelligence, and +2 Spellcraft, as well as 4% Armor. Pretty sweet! That alone is worth the price of admission! Of course, I was always in the "pro-Cave Lore" camp because I like having access to the respawning Mandrake patch, but it's cool to see Cave Lore more clearly worth it. Though I finally found one heavily nerfed item: the Quicksilver Sandals now give -25% to all damage types. So...yeah. It's still possibly useful, since two spells per turn is nothing to sneeze at, but you have to balance that against the chance that you might not be able to cast two spells in that round cause you may need to move. I think I might just give my Mage the Runed Armor (assuming she can still use it) when I get the Queen Aranea Fangs (which I might be able to go for soon enough).

Also, one interesting change is that, while Haste L3 no longer has a chance of giving Battle Fury, it now gives back 3 AP to the caster, so they can cast another spell in the same round. So now I don't have to weigh the risk of it not giving a single bonus turn with the reward of it giving multiple bonus turns, since it doesn't really take a turn to cast anymore!

Oh, and I'm now Level 18, with all of Dexter's quests done, the Gremlin's Gold stuff done, the first four Kyass quests done, and...what else...oh yeah, two pieces of the Demonslayer sword (the one you get in the Underground Fort, and the one you get in the Slith Temple). Just to give you an idea of whereabouts I am.

EDIT: And, sure enough, by "Level 18", I mean "Level 21". Amazing, me, simply amazing...you checked what exactly the Four Stone Band did, yet you didn't think to check your freaking level?!

Oh, and another thing I got: the First Expedition Bow, renamed the Dragonhair Bow: it gives only +2 Bows rather than +3, but now it gives +2 Sharpshooter and +1 Lethal Blow as well. Oh, and it counts as a longbow now, so 50% chance of +150% damage. Pretty sweet bow for an archer character!

Incidentally, I *barely* won the fight with the Giants for that bow. So I *might* be able to do Pyrog and the backside of Bargha, but I'm not sure.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Speedless

Postby Speedless » February 22nd, 2017, 1:26 am

Tofu Tower got an anniversary update recently. XP gain has been increased even more (and this time, the bonus for winning battles with lower-leveled cards on higher floors is bigger, too), and you can get a new anniversary card from chests on the 50th floor. I wanted to give the new card its time in the sun--and see what the game would feel like now that I understand the power of getting cards to really high levels--so I started a fresh save file. So far, I think the highest floor I've reached is 53.

Leveling up cards does seem a lot faster, especially once you can safely start a run from floor 20 or 40. (A card can get a whole level in two battles if you're on a floor 20 higher than the card's level. On that same floor, it would have taken four battles in the previous version.) Now that I'm only keeping three to five of each card in my deck (except Life Ups and Returns) and ignoring every Reveal card except one Reveal Traps, my powerful cards are probably coming up more often as well, but it's been a while since I've played the game at all, so it's hard to remember. I've defeated the Overpowering Presence once already... and run out of cards in another couple encounters with her.

As for that anniversary card, she's a Green-element monster girl (well, not a monster, exactly), and she seems pretty good so far. At level 1, she has much more Attack and a little more HP than the next Green card down--and only costs one more star! And the higher a card's initial stats are, the sooner it starts getting more than 1 HP and 1 Attack from each level, too! Green cards tend to be pretty high on HP and low on Attack, so I appreciate having one that's better at attacking.

EarthPhantomTS wrote:Anyway, as for me, I've been playing some more of the Avernum Remix mod, and I found some interesting stuff. For instance, the Warmth Ring apparently had its +15% Cold Resistance changed to +15% Melee Damage (yes, seriously! I was surprised, too, wondering if I read it right!).

That does sound pretty nice. I'm curious, though, does it have any warming properties left? It sounds like the remixer(s) have a way to change item names, so if the Warmth Ring doesn't warm things anymore, I'd have to wonder if there's a reason it's still called that.

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » February 22nd, 2017, 3:31 am

Speedless wrote:
EarthPhantomTS wrote:Anyway, as for me, I've been playing some more of the Avernum Remix mod, and I found some interesting stuff. For instance, the Warmth Ring apparently had its +15% Cold Resistance changed to +15% Melee Damage (yes, seriously! I was surprised, too, wondering if I read it right!).

That does sound pretty nice. I'm curious, though, does it have any warming properties left? It sounds like the remixer(s) have a way to change item names, so if the Warmth Ring doesn't warm things anymore, I'd have to wonder if there's a reason it's still called that.

No, for some reason, Slartifer (the mod maker) never did change the ring's name to something more fitting. I don't know why; it doesn't have anything that could imply "warmth" still, like Cold Resistance.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » February 22nd, 2017, 1:28 pm

I forgot to mention it before, but naturally I'm still playing Reborn. I've finished the Episode 16 content (it was a pretty short episode, except for all the exploration of the mostly restored city). The Gym battle actually got me to make a proper weather team, though--turns out getting rid of that nonsense field that makes Fire attacks part-Dragon, in a battle where all of your opponents are Fairy-type, and replacing it with Grassy Terrain and sun to boost your Fire damage like crazy works out pretty well. Charizard be praised!

EarthPhantomTS wrote:
Speedless wrote:That does sound pretty nice. I'm curious, though, does it have any warming properties left? It sounds like the remixer(s) have a way to change item names, so if the Warmth Ring doesn't warm things anymore, I'd have to wonder if there's a reason it's still called that.

No, for some reason, Slartifer (the mod maker) never did change the ring's name to something more fitting. I don't know why; it doesn't have anything that could imply "warmth" still, like Cold Resistance.

Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if maybe the Warmth Ring was a recurring item of some kind (that is, if having an Avernum game without a Warmth Ring would be like having a Final Fantasy game without a Ribbon). It's an easy enough thing to just miss, though.

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » February 23rd, 2017, 6:23 pm

Made some more progress on the Avernum Remix mod in the past couple days...and actually got farther than I've ever gotten pretty much Image. Having the ability to make stuff besides dual-wielders and spellcasters work must be really good for my motivation to see this through to the end. Either that, or I'm just continually excited/curious to see how the next item was changed.

Like, I finally repaired the Demonslayer, beat Adze-Haakai, found Erika's Tower, found out where the Spectral Falchion is, and too many other things to list here. Still have yet to get the Flaming Sword, though, or beat Grah-Hoth or Sss-Thsss. I'll probably do that last one next; the Flaming Sword will be useless on a Slith boss anyway, plus there's still the chance it was nerfed...somehow. Even though I don't really know how he'd nerf it. Or why, when the Spectral Falchion wasn't changed (Slarty could've easily made it give something like +5 Blademaster instead of +8, but he didn't). Oh, and I learned Dispel Barrier L3, so I'm contemplating doing a runaround of all the places I know have L3 Barriers that are worth the time to get to in my estimation (such as the one in the Castle, for 5000 coins if I don't mind the -3 Reputation (and I don't. The fact that I killed Mentta, and gave the spellbooks to Evyss and Thantria, respectively, should prove that), and the one in Gremlin's Gold, which apparently has a Luck increasing pool. Which would be...kinda nice, I suppose. It's still not Crystal Souls Luck, and Gremlin's Gold is one of the more annoying places to go through without a map, but an extra % to all defenses can't be bad).

Also, as far as setups go, my sword-wielder changed to a dual-wielder from a shield user full time, and is now using the Spectral Falchion and Demonslayer (I'm wondering whether I should replace one of those with the Oozing Sword, and if so, which one would be better replaced. It's a tough decision: the Oozing Sword deals more raw damage and can poison, but the Demonslayer gives quite a few resistances and is useful against a by now commonly encountered enemy type, and the Spectral Falchion effectively gives 24% bonus damage, which might mean it and its companion might deal more damage than the Oozing Sword now). My mage is using the Runed Plate, and I went ahead and gave the Mercurial Chain and Quicksilver Sandals to my cleric (it's probably more useful for her since damage isn't her main role and healing and buffing spells, as well as circular AoEs, often don't require you to move. Though sometimes buffing will, depending on whether you need to get around a wall/doorway to get to everyone). My archer's still rocking the same stuff she had before, pretty much (Dragonhair Bow is still pretty nice).

Also also, even though I talked to Erika, for some reason the Living Statues still aren't recognizing me. I asked about this on Spiderweb Software's forum, and someone said I might've forgotten to get the magic word for them from her library (which might be my issue, I don't really remember if I did so or not. I'd probably have noticed, though), so I'm gonna try that first thing before doing anything else.

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » February 24th, 2017, 9:20 pm

First of all, I figured out the problem with Erika and her living statues. Turns out, I needed to get the quest from Erika to talk to Ayden (even though I ALREADY did so beforehand!), then go back and talk with him, and only THEN will Erika tell you the Living Statue password is "Divulge". Yeesh!

Also, on a more positive note, I've...well, I've been playing Final Fantasy VII all day. Yeah, kinda crazy. I got rather lucky at some parts too: for one, the first Bagrisk I stole from gave a Vagyrisk Claw. Yes, seriously! That's, like, a less-than-5% chance (what exactly it is depends on level, but it's always less than 5%). Also, learned Trine and Magic Hammer pretty easily (Trine, especially, is a tricky one. You have to be careful not to beat Godo before getting the fourth E. Skill materia). And speaking of Godo, I'm doing the Wutai subquest now. I often wait until after the Temple of the Ancients, because a lot (and I mean a LOT) of treasure in that place is perfect for a No Materia game, which you either play or come close to playing during the Wutai quest anyway. But this time, I want to try to see the Yuffie date, so that entails me doing it before getting the Keystone. Even then, I may have messed up; I guess we'll see. But I got a little unlucky there too. As it happens, Yuffie stole all three of my Steal materia, so no early 8inch Cannons for me. What's funny about this is she stole EXACTLY enough to leave me Steal-less; I had one Heal materia, it's next in line after Steal, and Yuffie left it behind. So, yeah. Had I thought to buy one more...say, Earth...materia, I would've kept a Steal.

Also also, I think I finally figured out a good system for distributing skill points in Avernum 2: Crystal Souls. In that game, "access" skills are more important than the first game: you need a higher Tool Use overall, you need Arcane Lore specifically for certain nice things (Sage Lore won't do as well this time), and Cave Lore seems a bit more useful as well. But I managed to work it out so the party can get the totals I want while still having 10 Hardiness for everyone, 10 Parry and Blademaster for my dual-wielder (yes I'm using one, even though I know they were unfairly nerfed), and 10 Spellcraft and Resistance for my casters. It helps that you only need 16 Mage Spells and 14 Priest Spells to get everything we care about now. My idea is that the cleric take 6 points of Tool Use, one of the mages take 9 points of Arcane Lore, the other take 4 and 1 Cave Lore and put the rest of her discretionary points into Priest Spells or Luck (not sure yet which of those I'll do), and the fighter just puts her leftovers into Priest Spells, Lethal Blow, and maybe even extra Melee Weapons. Also, everyone takes Nimble Fingers twice. This gets me to 14 Tool Use (what's necessary), with 8 points on one character (also kinda important at one point), 13 Arcane Lore (which gets me just about everything on that front I believe), and at least 9 Cave Lore (with the help of a trainer).

EDIT: Okay, a couple things. First off, in Final Fantasy VII, I'm...well, I'm right at the end of Disk 1. So you-know-who is about to breathe her last. Also, a lucky thing I forgot about: I decided on a whim to bet on a Chocobo race, and guess what? I won! Though, you know, I only "won" a Tranquilizer, but that's still 10 GP more than I had before betting. There really aren't any "tricks" that I know of for betting on Chocobo races, other than the tendency of Personality Type 2 Chocobos to lose (on the "stat&prize preview/ticket select" screen, sometimes a Chocobo will be shown dashing instead of trotting. Those are Personality Type 2 Chocobos. Don't count on them winning). You just gotta be lucky. And patient to get the kind of item you want, if you're looking for something in particular (like Hero Drinks; I know those can only be gotten by betting on Chocobos on Disk 1).

As for Avernum 2, well...I just realized I might need to use more than one skill point on Cave Lore. I heard three will get you everything. I was kinda counting on there being a couple "free" points like in Avernum 1, but that's a dumb assumption. So I'll just use two more of Mage #2's points there. Also, someone on the forum said that you needed to have a bonus to Crit rate somewhere in order to get Criticals, yet I've seen all four of my characters getting at least one Crit with nothing like Lethal Blow or Longbows or anything of the sort, so I don't know what's up. It's the same guy who said Luck seems to boost your damage output too, so I don't know what to make of all that. And he usually knows what he's talking about, so I'm weirded out now!

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, something fun that I noticed when grinding kills for Tifa in Mythril Mine (because I want to get ready for when she's forced into the party, and the rooms with Ark Dragons are good places to score kills since there's consistently 4 or 5 enemies per battle in those rooms) is that Cloud's current level happens to be the meaning of life and Tifa's current level happens to be my favorite rule of the internet (42 and 34, respectively, IOW...yeah, I don't use Tifa nearly as much as you'd expect for someone like me...). Just thought that was kinda funny :tstick: !

Now to do the long string of rapid fire Fort Condor battles at the end of Disk 1...yay...

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 13th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Decided to play through Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King since I just finished replaying Kindred Spirits again. (For the third time now, lol.) I want to like it a lot more than I am so far but it has some issues. Some of them are pervasive enough that they add up, especially when combined with the less pervasive ones.

The most immediate thing you'll notice after starting the game is that Lily apparently is part snail. And part snail on ice at that because despite being so slow she still randomly has momentum when you let off the button. This is annoying because even walking one screen takes significantly longer than it feels like it should, even more so when walking through shallow water, long grass, or even up stairs slows you down considerably to begin with.

Then there's an annoying issue where trying to interact with something doesn't require you to be facing it resulting in you easily talking to one npc or otherwise interacting with something when you're aiming for something else altogether. And interaction in general is a bit wonky at times. The hitbox for interacting with some things is really huge. And the difference between throwing something you've picked up and dropping it seems a bit off due to the aforementioned momentum crap meaning you'll try to set something down and throw it instead because you still had a tiny bit of momentum or you mean to throw something but drop it instead because you haven't built up enough momentum.

I also have to criticize this one puzzle in the first dungeon. What you need to do is obvious enough, you hit a switch and it activates for a short while before deactivating. There's four of these switches in the room and you're locked in the room (even reloading puts you straight back in this locked room) until you solve it. The issue is that the execution on this is so tight that I had to go and look up that I wasn't missing something obvious because it was so difficult. (Which didn't work because there's nothing on Gamefaqs nor the Steam guides section for the game...)

And then there's the boss. The boss is actually kinda fun. But it has a big issue. Not enough clear feedback on whether you're doing the right thing or not. In particular you have to throw bombs in its mouth to stun it. However it's inconsistent on this. It seems to have two different actions where its mouth is open as far as I can tell but during one of these it's actually not vulnerable to bombs despite both actions being the boss laughing or something. And the part that comes after this is fairly obvious as well but you have so little time, so little energy at this point to use your bow (a huge issue since bombs and arrows both use energy and you can only get off a grand total of three before having to wait like 15-20 seconds for your gauge to refill), and have to deal with any remaining attacks on the field that the entire thing becomes a total clusterfuck. I went into the boss fight with two health potions and two revive items and ended up using all of them for what should have been an easy boss. So it ended up feeling really freaking cheap.
💙💙💙

Speedless

Postby Speedless » June 7th, 2017, 10:58 pm

I found out this morning about a game called Outland by a developer called Housemarque. They've just started pre-ordering for the PC version of their newest game, Nex Machina, and to celebrate that, they're offering Outland for free on Steam until 10 A.M. Pacific Time tomorrow (June 8, 2017). It's a Metroidvania that looks a lot like what I remember of Guacamelee from LPs, though I'm pretty sure Outland's story takes itself more seriously. Also, there's a polarity switching mechanic that seems very similar to the one I first remember hearing about (the one from Ikaruga), complete with dark red and light blue polarities. (The light and dark bullets have made some small bullet curtains, but so far I've mostly been called on to wait for an opening in each pattern, instead of having to go through like you would at the start of a full-on bullet curtain shooter like Panic Crisis Mage Attack.)

I've only defeated the first boss at this point, and I have yet to try changing the keyboard controls (and yes, they say there's a way to do it), but it seems like a good time. Those default keyboard controls are the main complaint I've seen so far, and if they really can be changed, well, that makes it less of a problem. The first minute or two of the game feels a bit more dangerous at first than you'd think, since you'll need to hit the first enemy with all three attacks of your basic combo (or get out of your attack animation soon enough to retreat) to avoid getting hit, and until you can take out one without getting hit, you'll break even at best in terms of health. Since then, though, it's all been feeling pretty good.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » June 8th, 2017, 1:51 am

I've been playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen since it got released on Gog. It's pretty interesting but I really have to complain about just how clunky the menus are with a mouse+keyboard. The game controls themselves are fine for the most part (though primary and secondary skills defaulting to left control and left alt respectively is a bit strange and awkward) but the menu controls are just godawful. You can only scroll in menus with the mouse by clicking and dragging the scroll bar. Your mousewheel simply does not work for whatever reason. On top of this you have to hit escape to go back a level in the menus because clicking to go back simply doesn't work half the time. You also have to use page up/insert to switch tabs in menus which is just awkward as hell. Page up/down would make a bit more sense at least but it doesn't seem like you can rebind these keys. Then there's the map controls. WASD is for movement but scrolling the map uses the arrow keys. And that's basically useless anyways since the arrow keys simply move your cursor on the map which you can do yourself to scroll. And another thing is changing settings. You hit escape to go back a level in menus. Unless you change settings and want to save those changes. If that's the case you have to hit freaking backspace??? For menus they should've made right click equivalent to going back a level, there should be no difference between backspace and escape in menus (it should just ask if you want to save your changes), and the map would work a lot better if it let you left click+drag to move the mouse because the screen scroll crap just feels awkward. Also having to hit escape to reach your map screen or quest log is a bit awkward. You give us I for inventory access. Give us some keys for instant map and quest log access ffs...

Past those issues I'm mostly having fun. Though bandits are bullshit. Really not sure how freaking bandits are so much tougher than a god damned hydra but okay. (And this on the easiest difficulty...) I've had three game overs so far. Two of them because bandits just totally kicked my ass. The other one was my own fault and was kinda hilarious. I was in this place under Gran Soren for a quest. You start at the top and spiral down like 10-12 levels or so. Around 3-4 levels or so down you fight an ogre boss. Thing was pretty damned tuogh. It did a fair amount of damage but I had a healer so that wasn't really a big deal. The real issue was that after 5 minutes of killing it I'd done maybe 10% of its health in damage. I managed to climb on top of its head and started stabbing it at which point it seemingly panicked and charged straight off the edge of the walkway so it fell all the way down to the bottom, a good 7-8 stories, with me on top of it stabbing it in the head. It died instantly while I somehow took no damage. The part where I died came after this. I don't know exactly what happened but somehow my primary pawn managed to get incapacitated. I'd assumed she was either on the lowest level with me after having jumped or was clear back up where the fight took place. After looking on the lowest level I went back up. Apparently she was actually like one or two levels up from the bottom for some reason and I somehow managed to walk right past her. After reaching the top I realized she was down much lower so I decided to test a skill I'd gotten that reduces fall damage and imitated the ogre. (It was quicker, I'd saved first thing after killing the ogre.)

I do have a complaint about the pawns though. God damned they're DUMB. After activating the boss fight at the bottom of this place you have to flee to the top. You've got your pawns sitting there going "master, we must run away!!!" only to fail to follow you constantly because they're too busy fighting the stupid tentacles that they keep commenting are just going to come back anyways. I nearly game overed multiple times during this sequence because I kept having to turn back to rescue my stupid pawns.
Speedless wrote:I found out this morning about a game called Outland by a developer called Housemarque. They've just started pre-ordering for the PC version of their newest game, Nex Machina, and to celebrate that, they're offering Outland for free on Steam until 10 A.M. Pacific Time tomorrow (June 8, 2017). It's a Metroidvania that looks a lot like what I remember of Guacamelee from LPs, though I'm pretty sure Outland's story takes itself more seriously. Also, there's a polarity switching mechanic that seems very similar to the one I first remember hearing about (the one from Ikaruga), complete with dark red and light blue polarities. (The light and dark bullets have made some small bullet curtains, but so far I've mostly been called on to wait for an opening in each pattern, instead of having to go through like you would at the start of a full-on bullet curtain shooter like Panic Crisis Mage Attack.)

I've only defeated the first boss at this point, and I have yet to try changing the keyboard controls (and yes, they say there's a way to do it), but it seems like a good time. Those default keyboard controls are the main complaint I've seen so far, and if they really can be changed, well, that makes it less of a problem. The first minute or two of the game feels a bit more dangerous at first than you'd think, since you'll need to hit the first enemy with all three attacks of your basic combo (or get out of your attack animation soon enough to retreat) to avoid getting hit, and until you can take out one without getting hit, you'll break even at best in terms of health. Since then, though, it's all been feeling pretty good.

I may have to give that a try, especially since you can apparently get it free permanently until tomorrow. A friend linked it to me while I was offline thinking I might be interested.
💙💙💙

Willhart

Postby Willhart » June 16th, 2017, 8:23 am

I've still been playing Guild Wars 2 and I also started wow recently. I'd be pretty happy to play either of those games with pretty much anyone. Run around, do the guests and so on.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » June 23rd, 2017, 9:34 pm

I've been playing Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim and holy shit is it unbalanced as fuck. I'm playing on normal difficulty and it's a common occurrence for me to beat a boss in an area on my first or second try then move on with the game only to be physically unable to damage enemies in the next area. After getting tired of it I cheated and took myself from level 23 to 43. This lasted a whopping one area before I started taking a lot of damage but the real issue are these swarms of god damned bats. They're fast, numerous, and even after cheating to get to the max level of 60 I'm somehow unable to do even 1 point of damage to them. (And no, I'm not neglecting upgrading my weapons for anyone familiar with the game.)

Also this one god damned jump pissed me the fuck off. I did it on my first try. Then proceeded to game over and have to do it again. It took me five tries this time. Oh and did I mention that it takes a solid minute and a half to wrap back around to try the jump again if you fuck up? And that's only if you know the exact path there.

I get that this was the first game they did in the new style (followed by Oath in Felghana iirc, which also has balance issues but nowhere near this bad) but jesus christ how could they possibly have overlooked these issues? I could understand these issues if I were on insane or nightmare or whichever the highest difficulty is on this one but I'm not, I'm on the easiest. (Also there's extra versions of each difficulty labelled as "catastrophic mode" which I assume is even more difficult but the game doesn't seem to state what this mode actually entails...)
💙💙💙

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » August 17th, 2017, 4:31 am

Well, Type Moon or Aniplex or whoever is doing maintenance on Fate/Grand Order (they said it'll be from 4:00 to 8:00 UTC, which from what I can tell means it just started where I live), so I thought I'd go ahead and mention some of the things I enjoy about it and some of the things I don't. First off, the main girl in the story, Mash Kyrielight, is pretty cute! I've said before and I'll say again, I want her outfit Image! She's also an unusual class, cause there's seven "basic" class types in Fate/Stay Night (Saber, Archer, Lancer, Caster, Assassin, Rider, and Berserker), and Mash isn't any of them; she's what's called a "Shielder". Which is to say, she's quite the defensive type character. I actually managed to get a pretty decent team early on, including getting lucky with a promotion. No Ishtarin, though; however, I do have a couple other cute girls, a Berserker named Kiyohime (who I managed to get her Limit Break-type thing up to Level 3 from getting multiple copies of her) and another "weird class" character named...well, I forget how it's spelled, I just know she's based off Joan of Arc. The latter's another "defensive" type character (her Limit Break makes everyone invincible for the next turn, as well as increasing Defense and providing Regen. It also paralyzes the user, though, but that's usually not that bad in practice), while the former, due to her class (again, Berserker), is much more offensive. As it happens, Berserkers deal more damage and take more damage from enemies of the "standard" classes (I...think...I'm still new to this). So Kiyohime is a bit of a glass cannon.

There is, however, one catch: even though there's three slots for "active" characters, you can only use two of yours at a time. The third one is always another player's character. Also the game relies a fair bit on "socialization" bonuses; you get more basic summon currency if the player is on your "friend" list, and that's also required to use that player's character's Limit Break. Though thankfully enough people seem to be willing to accept random friend requests anyway, though I wouldn't mind having some names I actually recognize on my friends list (again, I've got a 5-star Joan of Arc that I can let you guys summon if that ever becomes a thing).

Another thing that's annoying is you often can't just plow through the game. If you play enough stages, the game will demand that you either take a break or use a unit of the premium currency before continuing. Though that's pretty standard for F2P games. And it helps that every time your Master character levels up, you get all that energy back immediately. But it's kinda lame all the same, because the story's already looking to be well ahead of what I was expecting from this sort of game: basically...something's changing history for the worse, and that's creating all these singularities (game's term) where history is being broken, and if this isn't stopped, the future will vanish. Or something. I'm only on the first singularity, in France around the time of Joan of Arc and Marie Antoinette, but it's already quite the interesting tale.

Anyway, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it so far. And to think I only got interested because Lady Ishtar; now I don't care if I never get her, cause the whole thing's pretty rad! Well, at least for a F2P game. Though I heard that you can do pretty well without needing to pay anything. I am starting to think this game's balanced quite well in that regard, like Fallout Shelter is, though knock on wood and all.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » August 17th, 2017, 5:32 am

I've been playing Tekken 7 a bit lately. Definitely has some interesting characters. Eliza has definitely been added to my character roster of Jack and Yoshimitsu, she's pretty fun to play and fits my style pretty well. (She sort of fits like half way between Yoshimitsu and Jack in fact. She's a robot like Jack but she's much more mobile. So she's pretty strong but her mobility, specifically the fact her head can come off and that she can fly, results in her having a lot of moves that are reminiscent of Yoshimitsu's trickery. My favorite move is one where she pulls her head off and beats her opponent with it. Also her super move which involves chainsaws growing out of her arms because who doesn't like a girl with chainsaws?) Also Lili and Lucky Chloe are fun to play as well. Both of their character episodes (both Lili's and her rival's actually) are hilarious.

The actual story mode has some really infuriating parts though. A significant chunk of the mode is spent playing Heihachi. There's not a single character in the entire series I'm worse with than Heihachi. Then there was the epilogue where you play as Kazuya instead. I'm better with Kazuya than Heihachi but Akuma was a freaking prick. It took me something like 40 tries to beat him on the easiest difficulty because he's such a cheap asshole. And it seems like part of the story is kinda missing. Heihachi's arc is unambiguously closed but both Kazuya and Jin are left unresolved despite the fact this is supposed to be the final game in the series. Jin in particular really has no arc in this one. He spends most of the story out of commission and you only use him in like 2-3 battles at most.

They brought in a new devil character who's pretty interesting though. Though you first encounter her as Heihachi. And she's very effective against Heihachi. Heihachi is fairly powerful, reasonably fast, and has the range of a low powered sneeze. On the other hand she's very fast and mobile, pretty powerful, and has some insanely ranged attacks that are difficult to dodge or block on top of the standard devil laser attacks.
💙💙💙

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » August 28th, 2017, 4:00 pm

I decided to give Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls a try while I'm waiting for Danganronpa 3 to release. It's actually pretty interesting all things considered. Movement and gunplay is roughly like Resident Evil 4 if I recall RE4's gameplay correctly. (It's been quite a long time because while it's less clunky than the previous RE games it's still clunky enough that I don't want to replay it.) I think it'd feel better if instead of being over the shoulder third person it was a more normal third person view from over the head and allowed you to zoom the camera in and out as the situation demands and made it so WASD would move you actually in those directions rather than having tank controls, unless you're in aim mode which would work best with tank controls. Gameplay is nothing special and it's pretty linear with most of the secrets and optional stuff being literally right off the main path. I do have this strange issue with the game randomly hitching every few seconds. Though it's strangely not very noticeable when I'm in combat. It's even stranger when you consider the game's not using a huge amount of processor power, gpu power, ram, or vram. Setting it to higher priority through task mangler seemed to help a bit however. Also the Danganronpa art style works much better with the 2d sprites they use in the main games. I wouldn't call the art quality for the 3d models atrocious, especially for Komaru and Toko in particular, but it looks much more generic than you'd think considering the 2d art used in the games.

Its biggest selling point is the story. It seems to be set between DR1 and DR2 as far as I can tell, but definitely after DR1. Elaborating would be a spoiler but Komaru is the younger sister of Makoto from the first game and you meet the annoying blonde guy from DR2 (I want to say he was the Ultimate Lucky student in that game, I always forget his name though) fairly early on. Toko is more obnoxiously perverted than she was in DR1 but she has some good character development. Also where I am in the game (nearing the end of chapter 2, of what looks to be 5 total chapters plus the intro) she seems to actually be making friends with Komaru despite the fact she talks down to Komaru quite often. She's even served as a source of inspiration for Komaru on a couple of occasions which was actually pretty impressive considering who we're talking about.

Overall I'm enjoying the game despite its issues. Seems like it'll be fairly long too. The intro chapter only took me about 90 minutes but chapter one took around 3 hours and chapter two has taken about 3-1/2 so far. I'd hazard a guess that there's another 45 minutes to an hour left in this chapter, if not actually a bit more. I don't know how many floors this building I left off in has but it's a tall tower and it seems like the next boss fight is going to be at the top. Whether I have to walk all the way up though or only go up a floor or two to grab the card for the elevator really factors into how much longer there is.
💙💙💙

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » August 29th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Alice wrote:I do have this strange issue with the game randomly hitching every few seconds. Though it's strangely not very noticeable when I'm in combat. It's even stranger when you consider the game's not using a huge amount of processor power, gpu power, ram, or vram. Setting it to higher priority through task mangler seemed to help a bit however.

Had even worse issues than usual with this today. For some reason using the detect power caused a ton of lag and there was a section after the boss (a fairly long one at that) which required very heavy use of detect. And the boss itself was far too laggy and I'm surprised I managed to kill it as easily as I did.
Toko is more obnoxiously perverted than she was in DR1 but she has some good character development.

Spoiler but  Toko kinda went and threw basically all of that good will down the drain by threatening to kill Komaru when she tried to convince Makoto to mount a rescue because Byakuya is being held hostage to try and prevent that from happening. She also said some really shitty things to Komaru like accusing her of doing nothing up to this point which is clearly not true seeing as I'm on normal mode and despite the lag issues I've only needed to rely on Genocide Jack's power for places it's required or one place where I chose to use it because I was nearly dead and Genocide Jack is invincible. 

Story is getting more interesting though. Things are starting to slip into place to get at least a general idea of what's happening and why.
💙💙💙

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » September 1st, 2017, 3:46 pm

Finished Ultra Despair Girls. Despite the issues I complained about I enjoyed it quite a lot. And I didn't even notice any lag on this last play session oddly enough. Story was quite good though and Komaru's definitely one of my favorite characters in the series. The game made me think a lot better of Toko in the end though to explain why would involve major spoilers. Story was quite enjoyable too and the ending basically verifies that it happens between DR1 and DR2. In fact the epilogue has some references to DR2 as well as potentially references to DR3. Though that latter part is merely a guess based upon the outcome of this game.

I'd probably rank it between DR2 and DR1 overall. The story was much better than DR2's even if the gameplay was a bit iffy at times but in general the gameplay, while a bit clunky, was nonetheless enjoyable. It's a shooter but it still focuses on puzzles with the arcade room stuff and bosses are largely puzzles themselves. Now I get to move on to the Dauntless beta since my best friend gave me a key for it and Ys SEVEN which just released on Gog until the 26th so I can play DR3. Despite being excited for Ys SEVEN though I'm not nearly as excited for it now as I was before I found out DR3 was releasing so soon. Ys is a great series and does rank in my top favorite game series but Danganronpa ranks quite highly in the same list.
💙💙💙

Return to “General Perversion”