What browser do you use and why?

General off-topic stuffs goes here.
Aposke
Location: Take my post count and subtract 400. That's how many good posts I've made

What browser do you use and why?

Postby Aposke » May 17th, 2015, 1:49 am

Firefox. Because I don't wanna use Chrome and there hasn't been a good alternative for a while (other than Chromium or one of its many derivatives, I suppose). However, I tried out Vivaldi lately (the new project of the original Opera developers before they left the company after they decided to change to Chromium as a base) and I've absolutely fallen in love with it and will probably make it my main browser once it's out of Alpha.

What about you guys?

Alice
⦂☽

Re: What browser do you use and why?

Postby Alice » May 17th, 2015, 2:02 am

I use basic Firefox (though I have both Pale Moon and Waterfox installed). I just really dislike Chrome, it doesn't feel right to me. I only actually use it to visit the Trello board for the scanlation group I'm a cleaner for since the site's code has a bug that crashes Firefox that they haven't bothered fixing yet. Firefox has a better selection of addons I find useful and I prefer its customizability over that of Chrome's by a long shot. The fact Chrome requires you to have a Google account just to install shit from their store is also really moronic in my opinion. I could understand for paid things but for free apps and addons an account should not be required. I've also used old Opera back in like 2008 before I found Firefox (I switched because it kept crashing with more than three tabs open) and back in high school I had to use Safari since my school only had Macintosh computers.

I'd really like a mix of Pale Moon and Waterfox that could actually support the same selection of addons that default Firefox does. For people who don't know Waterfox is 64-bit Firefox and Pale Moon is a fork of Firefox that's optimized for newer processors instead of compatibility. (Default Firefox is actually a fair bit slower due to compatibility since it doesn't make use of newer optimization methods for newer processes. It's not a huge boost though but it still is a boost.)
💙💙💙

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » May 17th, 2015, 2:03 am

I used to use Firefox but I'm Chrome now because of its plugins and I just like its appearance more I guess.
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 17th, 2015, 2:05 am

Firefox primarily. I'm integrated into it, I respect their work, it works well for linux.

Secondarily I use Chromium. It likes to leak memory with videos and images though. I use it for stuff I don't really want my tova persona on too. It's tied to a secondary twitter too.

I use Opera when I'm feeling political though, so it usually has a bunch of links to news sources and music and stuff. I also do my blog thing through it. It also has its own twitter.

Lastly I mess around with midori from time to time, it's really bare bones though. Pretty much I keep it around to have something to access a fourth email from on the very very rare chance I need it (like my 4th twitter account)

I actually got in the habit of having multiple browsers around because of an rp site some friends and I were playing around with in highschool. As time went on, we lost more and more people, so demand for character interaction meant that I created like 5 characters for it. So 5 browsers once upon a time.

On my phone I use dolphin though. Slick, quick, nice, intuitive for me at least.

Special mention to lynx, which you can use without a windowing environment, and is often something I tend to install immediate after setting up sudoers https://twitter.com/TovarischYoshi/stat ... 3424342017
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Ashan

Postby Ashan » May 17th, 2015, 3:43 am

I use Chrome to spite nerds that think Google is skynet
► Show Spoiler

Glitch

Postby Glitch » May 17th, 2015, 3:59 am

I used to use Firefox a long time ago until it started crashing for me when I used it and refused to stop, so I switched over to Chrome.
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

Rumia

Postby Rumia » May 17th, 2015, 4:02 am

I use Chrome because I found it was the most optimal choice way back and I haven't bothered to look into anything else since. Maybe there's a browser that's infinitely better for me out there now, but hell if I'll ever know.

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » May 17th, 2015, 5:49 am

Anything but IE
A man of many voices

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 17th, 2015, 5:59 am

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:Anything but IE

It's out of its misery this summer
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

metasomnia

Postby metasomnia » May 17th, 2015, 6:32 am

Firefox because it was the first browser I remember using, and even though I've used Chrome and Opera before I'm more used to Firefox
Have a literal signature:

Buttson

Postby Buttson » May 17th, 2015, 6:41 am

I have all my internetting done by a team of friendly interns named Rahul and Deepak (Deepak says hi). I call them with what I want posted and where and they tell me about any new happenings on the websites I tell them to keep an eye on. Ends up saving me some cool cash over paying for my own internet.
Image Dicks

sonicspin

Postby sonicspin » May 18th, 2015, 1:38 am

firefox because chrome erased everything
i draw
SHITPOSTING INC DOES NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE LOSS OF OF SANITY TAKEN BY OUR ASSOCIATES
spooky scare skeleton wrote:so the underlying metaphor here is, Aposke, you're a huge dick

me wrote:SUDDENLY KILLER HEADACHE

aposke wrote:maybe you deserve that you fucking bitch

PleinairSan wrote:If a streamer auto-purges links I don't follow him, and I openly insult him
If I wanted to suffer an autistic power fantasy I'd join a freeform roleplay

Lunatic Quark

Postby Lunatic Quark » May 18th, 2015, 2:01 am

Firefox because some of my favorite pokemon are fire foxes

Yes, that was my actual decision making process. I am a well informed human being. 

GanonTEK

Postby GanonTEK » July 21st, 2015, 9:47 pm

90% of the time I use Firefox. I like the extensions I have like Tab Mix Plus, Tile Tabs, Classic Theme Restorer and being able to force everything onto one window.
10% of the time I use Chrome. I use that mostly for chromecasting stuff and it loads faster than Firefox usually so if I want to do something quickly I go for Chrome.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » July 21st, 2015, 10:29 pm

GanonTEK wrote:Tab Mix Plus ... Classic Theme Restorer

Both of those are great addons. Two of the staple addons for me with Firefox.
💙💙💙

Willhart

Postby Willhart » October 24th, 2015, 6:56 am

I use Firefox for most of the time. I like the round shapes compared to the IE. Most of my bookmarks are on Firefox right now too, so I don't see myself changing my browser any time soon. I also learned some time ago that if you view all the bookmarks, and then right click the bar on the top that has the name and the keywords and such, you can also order them with the date they were added there too. This way I was able to figure out many of the dates when I found out about some people and sites for the first time. My oldest bookmarks are from 2009 and I've cleaned them up only partially.

I also have an auto refreshing add-on installed. It's helpful when I have to wait for something important to happen, or when the sites are under maintenance. Other browsers have probably some similar programs too.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » October 24th, 2015, 7:37 am

So I guess to go more in depth since my last post:
When I'm on a desktop PC running Windows I'll generally use Chrome, cause I like it the most and don't really have to worry about the resources it will hog. On Linux, I'll generally use Firefox since Chrome on Linux seems to suck. Or I'm doing something wrong.
On OS X I use Safari cause it has some black magic that makes the battery never die. I mean, I was already pretty impressed with my Macbook Pro's battery life to begin with, but once I stopped using Chrome and switched to Safari, it lasted very noticeably longer.

So I'm pretty browser agnostic at this point, but I generally prefer Chrome.
► Show Spoiler

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » October 25th, 2015, 8:32 pm

I use Chrome because of its high simplicity, cusomizability, and low resource usage (at least as far as I can tell).

Also my graphic design teacher always calls it "foxfire" instead of firefox and it bugs the heck out of me.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » October 25th, 2015, 8:50 pm

Frozelar wrote:I use Chrome because of its high simplicity, cusomizability, and low resource usage (at least as far as I can tell).

• Chrome
  • low resource usage
Pick one

Go into your task manager and look how many instances of Chrome are in your background processes. Mine has 27.
I use Chrome mostly too but I'm pretty sure Chrome is by far the worst in "resource usage", haha
► Show Spoiler

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » October 25th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Ashan wrote:Go into your task manager and look how many instances of Chrome are in your background processes. Mine has 27.
I use Chrome mostly too but I'm pretty sure Chrome is by far the worst in "resource usage", haha

yeah well I mean
you're not wrong

But if Chrome isn't the best in resource usage, then WHAT IS???!!!!

Ashan

Postby Ashan » October 25th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Frozelar wrote:
Ashan wrote:Go into your task manager and look how many instances of Chrome are in your background processes. Mine has 27.

yeah well I mean
you're not wrong

Well generally it performs really well if your machine has the specs for it.
Also lots of extension developers put it as their first priority since so many people use it. The main reason I use it though is that it syncs with your Google account. So if I have Chrome on another device, I can sign in with my Google account, and it will automatically restore my extensions, and I can take advantage of accessing browser history on each device separately.
► Show Spoiler

Buttson

Postby Buttson » October 25th, 2015, 9:23 pm

As far as I understand chrome is the least resource intensive of the major browsers BUT the way it handles tabs means that having lots of tabs open is a lot less efficient than in others. Having shitloads of tabs open isn't good for you anyways, it's clutter and clutter influences your mental state even digitally.

Dicks

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » October 25th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Ashan wrote:
Frozelar wrote:

yeah well I mean
you're not wrong

Well generally it performs really well if your machine has the specs for it.
Also lots of extension developers put it as their first priority since so many people use it. The main reason I use it though is that it syncs with your Google account. So if I have Chrome on another device, I can sign in with my Google account, and it will automatically restore my extensions, and I can take advantage of accessing browser history on each device separately.

Oh, yeah, definitely. Also I was actually kinda being serious despite my (unintentionally) sarcastic tone, haha.

qazcake

Postby qazcake » October 25th, 2015, 10:55 pm

I use Firefox when i am at home and a variant of Firefox called pale moon when i am at school. If it was not for my av i would have switched to pale moon fully but since norton does not like pale moon i have to restrict it to when i am at school.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 26th, 2015, 12:38 am

Frozelar wrote:

yeah well I mean
you're not wrong

Firefox is actually generally better than Chrome for resource usage anymore. Though it also seems to wildly vary according to user for some weird reason. Due to the way Chrome handles tabs though it will generally take up more memory than Firefox since each tab is in its own process.
💙💙💙

Return to “General Perversion”