What do you do?

General off-topic stuffs goes here.
Buttson

What do you do?

Postby Buttson » March 31st, 2015, 6:35 am

Just a way to get to know the people round here a bit better I guess, I see a lot of mentions of people wondering what they want to do with themselves too and maybe this could help a bit with that.

What do you do with your days? What are you working towards? Anything you're comfortable with sharing I guess.

Personally I'm NEETish, on disability and in and out of hospitals and programs for mental health stuff but I'm working on getting back on track, I volunteer a few times a month at a local concert hall and I'm hoping that within the next 6 months I can get a steady job and think about school. Most of my day is spent modding video games or picking up and abandoning self improvement projects playing ecco the dolphin
Image Dicks

Alice
⦂☽

Re: What do you do?

Postby Alice » March 31st, 2015, 6:48 am

I sit around being useless all day.

To be a little more serious though I'm not currently employed (I make money infrequently through computer work but not enough to bother even counting it as part time) because my insomnia won't really let me. If I force myself into a standard 24 hour schedule I'll start getting really sleep deprived and screw up at any job I have as well as getting super stressed out and the only successful way I've found to manage my insomnia is through a 26-28 hour schedule. To make up for it I do try to at least be productive though. Hosting this site or joining a manga scanlation group for example. I definitely don't sit around just playing video games all day or anything like that. (Normally, the last 3-4 days have been an exception actually. I typically don't even play video games at all most days, maybe 1-2 days per week.)
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » March 31st, 2015, 6:58 am

I do nihil am nihil will likely be nihil

I also decided to start blogging a few weeks ago but this is probably a bad idea

I watch lots of lps and read things, news, philosophy, science, that kind of stuff. Then I regurgitate it in a misguided attempt at helping people.

I'm not working towards anything because I don't want to be anything. There's a lot of issues built into that. I don't really know how to get past it; everything people have put forward sounds like "just cuz" and I'm not that kind of person. There could be beauty, which is the advice I give because it worked best on me, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I find beautiful. I also know people do things because love (including love of God), but love can be really ugly. I also know people do things because of order or harmony or something, but what's it worth? and I know people just pursue knowledge but society really really doesn't reward that and I'm not really against society doing that.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » March 31st, 2015, 7:44 am

Nothing. Just LP stuff really.

Otherwise I'm a very passionless person who can't seem to find a vested interest in anything. I really envy people that exhibit consistent interests, doesn't really matter what that interest is to me. Sounds like a nice thing to have. (for some reason making lps doesn't count in my mind, I guess because it's video gamez?)

...Anyway yeah, if I'm not watching a video from the handful of youtubers I follow, then I'm refreshing the handful of small forums I frequent. It doesn't take much to be more interesting than me!
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 31st, 2015, 8:00 am

I'm trying my hardest to actually get somewhere now that I've graduated, but finding a job is sorta...
and interviewing for a job is sorta...

Eila

Postby Eila » March 31st, 2015, 11:03 am

I suck.

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » March 31st, 2015, 4:07 pm

Well starting this week I work as a marketing guy for a firm in Finland. Only temporary contract for now, might get extended, might go somewhere else since I've had offers in Sweden and Germany too. Trying to settle in a new country in which I don't speak the language, I don't actually have a lot of free time on top of that.
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

Rumia

Postby Rumia » March 31st, 2015, 4:51 pm

Right now I'm chipping away at graduating high school through an adult grad program (idk if that's a thing outside of where I live) and trying to get mental health/disorder issues sorted out. Specifically I'm looking to get my ADHD-PI diagnosed formally because it's really crippling for me work-wise. Otherwise I laze around with games and anime and all that jazz.

Rhihad

Postby Rhihad » March 31st, 2015, 7:30 pm

I work at a closed psychiatric ward as a registered nurse. And to this day after nearly 10 years on the field, don't know why. The work is so stressful most of the times that I tend to be perfectly antisocial on my time off. Hole myself indoors, play games or watch LPs is the stuff I do to unwind after all the socializing I have to do at work. Really should be on some profession that requires zero to little human contact and I'd be perfectly a-okay.

Lunatic Quark

Postby Lunatic Quark » April 1st, 2015, 12:36 am

I sit at home and be useless while planning games I want to make, but never actually make any progress on them.

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » April 1st, 2015, 1:30 am

Eila wrote:I suck.

Unzips pants :kappa:
A man of many voices

Eila

Postby Eila » April 1st, 2015, 6:56 am

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:
Eila wrote:I suck.

Unzips pants :kappa:

Not without paying you don't.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 1st, 2015, 8:31 am

Eila wrote:Not without paying you don't.

So now you're admitting you're a prostitute?
💙💙💙

Eila

Postby Eila » April 1st, 2015, 8:52 am

Alice wrote:
Eila wrote:Not without paying you don't.

So now you're admitting you're a prostitute?

Yes

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » April 1st, 2015, 9:15 pm

How long for $100? :kreygasm:
A man of many voices

Louiejub

Postby Louiejub » April 2nd, 2015, 5:08 am

I'm currently working on a LP channel that will (hopefully) get started after I graduate high school, which is in about two months. I'm also going into graphic design for college, so fun times! Other than that, playing video games, and collecting CDs, nothing much is happening right now.

Eila

Postby Eila » April 2nd, 2015, 6:20 am

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:How long for $100? :kreygasm:

That won't even get you a second. Do you think I am some cheaply bought thing?

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » April 2nd, 2015, 2:11 pm

Eila wrote:
InsaneIntentions1 wrote:How long for $100? :kreygasm:

That won't even get you a second. Do you think I am some cheaply bought thing?

You sure look like it :dansgame:
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Aposke
Location: Take my post count and subtract 400. That's how many good posts I've made

Postby Aposke » April 2nd, 2015, 2:49 pm

I write for local newspapers/magazines in my free time besides University. At Uni I study Philosophy and History, hoping to finish my Bachelor's degree by Summer next year.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » May 1st, 2015, 3:36 am

I finished my first year of university and now I don't have anything to do until September.
I have a job but it's only weekends so idk, I might have to apply somewhere else or something

I recently got a PS4 and a capture card so I'm considering doing a LP of Bloodborne. I haven't done a LP since like 2010 so that might be fun again.
► Show Spoiler

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » May 1st, 2015, 3:48 am

I miss doing LP's :( I need to move to get internet out here
A man of many voices

Mandew

Postby Mandew » May 14th, 2015, 11:54 am

I don't have a job, but I still do a lot of things!
I make music and sprites. And I fiddle in Game Maker. And SMW (and ASM). It's pretty OK.
Lately, I've been of musical incline. Made songs two day ago, still listening to them on a loop. It's pretty rad.

Aposke
Location: Take my post count and subtract 400. That's how many good posts I've made

Postby Aposke » May 14th, 2015, 11:56 am

MANDEW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????!?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

metasomnia

Postby metasomnia » May 15th, 2015, 5:23 am

I'm in the process of finding a job, but in the meantime I lay about spacing out and dreaming

Also I donate plasma for extra cash
Have a literal signature:

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » May 15th, 2015, 3:38 pm

I work with my grandpa installing AC units
A man of many voices

GanonTEK

Postby GanonTEK » July 21st, 2015, 9:44 pm

I'm a teacher. Post Primary and Further Education levels. Mathematics, Physics, Science and IT are my subjects.
I help out with my local tidy towns. I like technology and video games. I've made some LPs and might make more in the future.
Metroid Prime is my favourite game of all time with A Link to the Past coming 2nd.
I like listening to podcasts. Mostly on video games but I like Harry Potter and Agent's of SHIELD also.

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » August 13th, 2015, 12:31 am

I said this on stream a few days ago, but I figure I'll post it here too. Basically, I'm now officially a NEET, like so many other people here. My schedule looks something like this: Wake up, have sex with Tiamat for an hour, do her hair for another hour, eat breakfast (in that order; Tiamat demands I meet her needs before my own...though those first two are also kinda my needs, hee hee :theart:! Her hair is hard to do, but...sigh, it's a labor of love :theart: [gets a wistful expression on her face]), fart around for 3 hours doing whatever, have sex with Tiamat for another hour, eat lunch, play video games for a while, kiss and cuddle Tiamat and just enjoy her company while we giggle lustfully and grope each other for a half-hour, eat dinner, play video games or watch movies for as long as I can get away with, undo Tiamat's braids, have sex with her for one more hour, sleep.

Other than that, yeah, not much going on in my life :undecided:. Sometimes I just feel useless, but I don't know what else to do! I mean, Tiamat's spending her time raiding and pillaging other dimensions, and here I am just being a shut in :tsad2:.
Last edited by EarthPhantomTS on August 13th, 2015, 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » August 13th, 2015, 5:39 am

Kinda unsolicited advice time...

I use my NEETness to pursue what I think are important questions. I don't think it's right for me to tell you what questions are important - the important questions are in a way necessarily subjective, I think.

But part of the reason I didn't finish highschool is related to that - reading what the curriculum dictated was important wasn't working for me, so instead of it, I spent my time reading about my own questions - how to come to terms with the evil in the world, is there a god and how does he square with the problem of evil, what makes the pain of life worth living, what is my worldview and is it coherent or empirically defensible, etc.

I ended up spending my time reading a lot of Nietzsche and Marx instead of Harper Lee or Tolkien or Amy Tan or whoever- and traditionally those two don't go together, but I was a sophomore and they worked together to me, at least long enough to keep me looking. I don't really suggest starting there - I didn't really find satisfactory answers for myself, and it's given me a lot of baggage, and one of my bigger problems now is coming to terms with what's been done ostensibly because of one of them. But who knows, maybe one of them has an idea that can help you move yourself forward. And maybe spending some time looking up philosophy or psychology and trying to look for some kind of consensus can inform you a little bit of what people do for similar issues to your own.

If you're really going stir crazy, maybe see if your local college has a class open you could sit in on, like take one at a time. I don't know if you'd get credit for it or what, but it could be something to occupy your mind with. Or you could look for a low~medium stress job to work or to volunteer for or something, like if you have some strength you could consider trying to be a stocker, or if you have some accounting abilities you might be able to work on that kind of stuff.

You could also just make yourself proportionally more useful at home with cleaning and chores. I'm sure you do quite a lot already, I mean, but take some other people's responsibilities off their hands and do them as you see them.

I'm also not one to talk at all, but like, don't let your esteem suffer because of it. Fulfilling your duties (in the grand scheme of things) is important, but you can't fulfill your duties unless you're healthy enough to. So stress relief is as important as fulfilling responsibilities. The trouble lies in ineffective time allocation and ill-informed priorities, but there's a difference I think between an otherwise healthy, happy person leaving their duties derelict, and an relatively unhealthy, unhappy person taking a proportional amount of time for themselves. It's not all or nothing - it's not an excuse to never do anything, but it's not intrinsically being lazy to enjoy yourself now and then, even if there's something important to do. In fact, there's a difference between urgency and importance and even unimportant things like using the bathroom or putting food away takes precedence over important things like spending time with people you love or reading a mind-changing book. It happens that stress relief is urgent sometimes (just like walking away from a huge fight can be), especially with neurodiverse folk with self-destructive tendencies, even if it often looks unimportant.

To generalize, I don't really think it's much of a coincidence that the top performing economies tend to transition into being service economies; there's a demand for stress relief.

That said, be eternally grateful for them supporting you as you try to find yourself. There's not really a clean dichotomy between healthy and unhealthy, happy or unhappy, or what have you. Even your closest family members could be fighting demons they never tell you about. So for them to take on the stress of supporting you when you are not also a worker is a tremendous gift - so if you can, try and lower their stress by doing things for them that they want done. Humans are weird and we aren't always aware that we're taking our stress out on others, so be prepared to have your efforts blow up in your face, but while it's possible you're being lazy in some way, it isn't necessarily so that you aren't being productive just because you aren't doing something financially productive. It's not all or nothing - and finding the golden mean isn't like an algebraic formula, it's more like a statistical formula.

I don't know. Other people probably have better advice than me. It might be better to listen to someone actually productive like Insane or Aposke, then.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Horikawa Otane

Postby Horikawa Otane » September 4th, 2015, 6:15 am

I get paid to write papers, challenge authority, and engage with the powers that be.

Sort of. In reality, I get paid to do research, have it torn apart by advisors and/or committee, refine that scholarship, expand upon it, etc. The end goal being to make a contribution that changes my field in some meaningful way. And I attempt to do so with unorthodox topics and, hopefully, exciting scholarship. Though often that scholarship becomes less exciting after it's been through committee and mild peer-review and suddenly I realise I missed a zillion things that make me have to rethink everything. But sometimes it doesn't get less exciting! Those times are cool.

It's a (stressful) living haha.

Return to “General Perversion”