What were some of the first Video Games you played?

Post yours, forum games, and other post++ styled threads go here.
Zummorr

What were some of the first Video Games you played?

Postby Zummorr » January 16th, 2015, 12:50 am

Heyo! So I presume that we all enjoy those little virtual interactive entertainment things we call video games. So what was your first video game, or some of the earliest ones you played or those come to mind that shape you today? I'll start.

When I was young I was a Nintendo kid and I had an older brother who got a Super Nintendo. One of the first games I remember playing was Megaman X. I think I was like 5 or 6 at the time, I distinctly remember asking my older brother what the text at the end of the level said because I couldn't read it. Although I didn't have the benefit of going through the game blind like he did so I just always "knew" the easiest boss path.

Another game we played alot was Kirby Superstar, its kinda funny that I used to think the Great Cave Offensive how there were always a few treasures that baffled us for sooooo long.

We did have an NES (still do) and our cartridge of Mario Bros/Duck Hunt got a lot of use. But it wasn't the hit that the SNES was.

I ended up getting my first Gameboy color, (My first console) with Pokemon Yellow and I played around with that a little bit but I didn't play Pokemon a lot until Silver came out. iirc my "old school" Silver team was Typhlosion, Tyranitar, Lapras,Girafarig, Lanturn, And Espeon.

Sephiko

Re: What were some of the first Video Games you played?

Postby Sephiko » January 16th, 2015, 1:18 am

Luckily my older sis was into games so I had them as soon as my baby brain could understand.

I played Super Mario Bros 1-3, Star Tropics, Dr. Mario and Tetris on the NES. Also had Bomberman GB, Pokemon Blue and Link's Awakening on the Gameboy.

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » January 16th, 2015, 1:20 am

I've mostly been a PC gamer, I started on it and I almost only play on PC nowadays too. In between I had some good times with Nintendo too, GBC, GBA, NGC mainly.

As far as games go... King's Quest. The first one. It was ugly and in English and I was three. I'm not sure "playing" would really apply, but I sure as heck loved it. It was played on 5 1/4 floppies, and on an old pos like this one:

There was also a cool chess game, and some educational historical point'n'click games by French editor Cryo that were probably never released outside of France.

Then came the first loves. First "real" games I got were on GBC: Pokémon Red and a typical hardcore Infogrammes platformer of licensed character Papyrus (an Egyptian duder). On pc, Age of Empires I & II, Commandos, Half-Life, a buttload of other RTS games like Empire Earth, Imperium Galactica or Warcrafts. I went from nothing to a lot of things really fast as a kid.

But true, true love only came when I was around 12-13. I didn't really know what the fuzzy feeling was back in the day, but I've never given up on it. Deus Ex. Forever and always, Deux Ex. <3

Sephiko wrote:Luckily my older sis was into games so I had them as soon as my baby brain could understand.

I played Super Mario Bros 1-3, Star Tropics, Dr. Mario and Tetris on the NES. Also had Bomberman GB, Pokemon Blue and Link's Awakening on the Gameboy.

F*ck yeah Link's Awakening, used to play it on emulator before I even had a GBC, and also played a Pokémon Gold at the time (with like first town in French, second in English and rest of the game in Jap, a pleasure to play). Didn't mention these because I never got far in them: the emulator my father installed couldn't save games. x)
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 16th, 2015, 1:29 am

Oh hell, first video game? That was like 22-23 years ago so I can't remember which one was very first but my first games were NES era. I don't think the SNES was even out in the US when I first played a video game. Ones I clearly remember playing though would be: Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, SMB3, Final Fantasy, Monster Truck Rally, Ivan something or other's Iron Man (some racing game), Bionic Commando, Zelda 1, Zelda 2, and there's two or three others I can remember but simply cannot think of the name of.
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » January 16th, 2015, 2:13 am

My first game was Yoshi's Island. When I was little Mom, her bf at the time, and sometimes my dad would play it while I watched (I was too afraid of losing to play). That continued after my sister was born and Mom would play while my sister slept. Eventually I got the nerve to play myself, and got through some early stages. Lots of things happened, but I eventually got her bf's snes.

We had a lot of computer games in between, my dad and I. I was normally pretty bad with things, so I never really beat them, and really only just ran around doing things. But SH&R, HP:CoS, NOLF etc were some of the games we eventually had (simpsons I could at least skip through), though I think a few we didn't get until much later. He also got some of the GTAs which I played in the sense that I never took any missions and just ran around interacting with things. Never any concept in my house of "maybe GTA III isn't appropriate for an 8 year old" or the like.

When I was 10 or something I had saved up enough allowance to buy a gameboy - it took the better part of a year. Mostly what I got was yugioh games because it was at that time. But one of the games I got at some point was Link's Awakening. And it ended up being one of my favorite games of all time - if not my favorite. It took me over a year to beat it but when I finally did I was so happy that I played it again - and beat it in 3 days. I did that once or twice more, until the dog ate it. Got it again though, used this time, and that copy still works.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Jolpengammler
Jipples the Friendly Dog

Postby Jolpengammler » January 16th, 2015, 8:11 am

Very first game was "Happy Day Kids" on the PC, which was some kind of learning game, I liked it so much, but I can't find it anymore :(

First Nintendo game I played myself was Mario Kart 64 :3333 (Probably why this is tied with Double Dash as my favourite Mario Karts)
Also Diddy Kong Racing. But mostly I watched my father play, especially games like Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, DK64, Zelda, the DKC series :3

Holy shit those were good times, now I'm getting all sad :C
Isocitration wrote:I will take my clothes off now

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » January 16th, 2015, 9:02 am

@Jolpe

Don't be sad that about nostalgic good times. After all, being happy about stuff that happened in the past is the only thing that keeps grandpa oldsters going in life.

Also the N64 was a pretty rad system. No mentions of Jelly-boy? I thought for sure that it was a gem that shaped your life and attitudes even today?

Eila

Postby Eila » January 16th, 2015, 1:51 pm

I think my first game was Outrun, Action Fighter or Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I think my first console was a Master System.

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » January 16th, 2015, 5:43 pm

Probably Super Mario World on the SNES (as if anyone didn't know what system that game was on :P!) I saw a demo stand of it once at a Blockbuster's or something when I was about 5, played on it, and was hooked. I asked my mom for an SNES and Super Mario World for my 6th birthday, and that made me a gamer from that point on.

I didn't really get into JRPGs until much later though; I forget which game it was, or when, but it was sometime during middle school I know, and I think it was Super Mario RPG.

Strangely I was into female protagonists much earlier than I was into RPGs. I guess as a young filly, I just liked picking the female characters when I had the option most. Now I like envisioning (and clopping to) myself having sex with kickass female characters :oops: [kisses my waifu, Tiamat, then grabs her breasts]
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Rumia

Postby Rumia » January 16th, 2015, 6:18 pm

I don't remember exactly what my first video game was, but my earliest memory was a DOS game (likely emulated on Windows) which I cannot find for the life of me. It was an exploration platformer(?) with single-screen rooms a la Monty on the Run and other such games, and the player character may have been an off-colour ape. One of the first screens had a section which could only be accessed from a different area later on I believe.

As for games I actually remember, there's those Humongous Entertainment's point-and-click adventure games which I ate up like candy, a number of Sega Genesis games which wound up on PC, and some indie shareware games from back before indie games were big. I'd list everything if there wasn't kind of a lot.

The unfortunate thing is that kid me had no idea that Nintendo was a thing at that point, and there's still tons of games I missed back then which I'm trying to catch up on now.

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » January 16th, 2015, 8:00 pm

If I recall correctly, some of my first games was Super Mario World, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Arkanoid Doh it Again (or something like that), Super Mario Kart, and Mario Kart Double Dash.
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Lunatic Quark

Postby Lunatic Quark » January 16th, 2015, 10:21 pm

The first game I ever got was Mario Kart 64 for my 6th birthday. My first 5 games that I remember were Mario Kart 64, Chameleon Twist, Yoshi's Story, Super Mario 64, and Mischief Makers.

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » January 18th, 2015, 10:26 am

My first games where Tetris and F-1 Racing on the GameBoy. The games that followed them most closely where probably The Smurfs and Kirby's Dreamland.

While Tetris soon turned into the game my parents would play all the time (especially my dad, who was and is really good at it), I really played a lot of the latter two, unable to beat either of the two anytime soon. I think I still haven't actually beaten the original GameBoy Smurfs game. I even have two copies of it for some odd reason.

After that there came games like Kirby's Blockball and Pokemon Blue and finally the SNES with Super Mario World, after witch I really spiraled into games games games.

potato_sniff
Cousin Janet

Postby potato_sniff » January 18th, 2015, 10:55 am

its hard for me to pinpoint games from back then since we had both the nes and snes at the same time, a few games i remmeber enjoying though are:

for the nes:
Trog, Iron tank, duckhunt, and section Z
for the snes:
super mario world, goof troop, super metriod, lion king, and aladdin

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » January 21st, 2015, 10:39 pm

My older brother and I constantly played the Sega Genesis, PS1, and occasionally on PC. He had all the classic Sonic games and several more for the Genesis, and we mostly played either A Bug's Life or some Crash Bandicoot racing game on the PS1, or Flicky or other Sonic games on PC. To be honest we played Sonic 3 & Knuckles more times than I can count, probably.
Oh yeah, we had The Adventures of Batman and Robin for the Genesis too. I remember it being a really fun fighting/platformer game that seemed endless to me. It was funny how I always seemed to make it farther than my brother.
Good times. I really miss him....

pholtos

Postby pholtos » February 17th, 2015, 6:57 am

Oh my. Let's see...
For SNES: SMW, SMK, SM All Stars, LTTP, Cool Spot, Uniracers, Star Fox, Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Oof), Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (Hard game this one), Lion King, Aladdin to name a few.
Gameboy/Color wise: Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Crystal
Sonic R

Louiejub

Postby Louiejub » February 17th, 2015, 7:41 am

The first consoles that I ever owned were the NES, SEGA Genesis, and the PS1. My dad had these, so I would play games with him a lot. I remember that the first game I ever played was the original Sonic The Hedgehog when I was five. :D

Glitch

Postby Glitch » February 17th, 2015, 5:19 pm

One of my earliest memories was playing Super Mario World on the SNES at my aunt's house. I was fairly young then, maybe like two or three?
I know my parents got my the original Game Boy as well. I had Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Tetris, Kirby's Dream Land, Game and Watch, and a sixth game I can't remember offhand.
I remember also playing Yoshi's Island on the SNES at my other aunt's house. I was a bit older then, no more than like five.
My mom at one point ended up taking half of my GB games and getting rid of them though, just because 'You don't play them anymore!!' and needless to say I was pretty upset. She learned not to touch my games again, lol.
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

metasomnia

Postby metasomnia » March 21st, 2015, 3:43 am

I kind of remember being taken into a white room with a doctor, and my parents and I playing Pong for a bit. I'm not really sure what the scenario was there, but that's my earliest memory of playing a video game. After that, we got a SNES and Super Mario All-Stars and the first Donkey Kong Country.
Last edited by metasomnia on March 29th, 2015, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a literal signature:

Buttson

Postby Buttson » March 27th, 2015, 9:42 pm

I got an N64 with Mario 64 for my 5th birthday, I remember getting motion sickness from the camera and not being able to wrap my head around running everywhere for like a week.
Image Dicks

LolzLolzFTW

Postby LolzLolzFTW » April 4th, 2015, 8:48 am

As a really small young'un, I grew up watching my older siblings play video games on the NES and SNES. Shortly before I started to play some of the games myself, my family also got a PS1. I'm pretty sure that my first game was either Super Mario Bros. 3 on Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World for SNES or Math Blaster Episode 1: In Search of Spot for PC, but I'm not entirely sure since my family had a decently sized arsenal of games by then.

The most memorable of my early games include:
NES - The Legend of Zelda, Adventure Island, Bonk's Adventure, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game, Startropics, Gun.Smoke, Gyruss, Tiger-Heli, Low G Man: The Low Gravity Man, Paperboy, Wizards & Warriors III: Kuros: Visions of Power, and Gauntlet.
SNES - Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Street Fighter II Turbo, and Monopoly.
PS1 - Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, Crash Team Racing, Crash Bash, Ape Escape, Bust a Groove, Bust a Groove 2, Toy Story Racer, Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue, 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue, Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, and Megaman 8.
PC - Math Blaster Episode 1: In Search of Spot, Reader Rabbit Preschool, Reader Rabbit Kindergarten, JumpStart Kindergarten, Jumpstart 1st Grade, Jumpstart 2nd Grade, The ClueFinders 3rd Grade Adventures: The Mystery of Mathra, Backyard Baseball, Blue's Clues: Blue's Birthday Adventure, 3D Body Adventure, Moon Eater (the Taco Bell floppy disc game), and Minesweeper.

Video Games :-P
Signatures confuse me.
Forum stuff is difficult.
Oh no!

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » April 4th, 2015, 11:43 am

I believe my family got an snes when I was around 4. The games I remember playing on it were plok, smw, jungle book, home alone, some bass fishing game. I also remember messing around with Mario paint on the PC.
A man of many voices

Eila

Postby Eila » April 13th, 2015, 10:06 am

The earliest I can remember was Action Fighter on Master System.

krawky398

Postby krawky398 » April 27th, 2015, 4:59 pm

I had a Genesis, a Game Boy Color, and a Dreamcast as a kid, but the earliest games I remember are Pokemon Blue and that Sonic compilation with Sonic 1, 2, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

The absolute first one of those was probably Pokemon, though. One of my first memories was trying to see the game in a car at night where I was throwing Pokeballs at a trainer owned Butterfree while it was probably dying to poison.
My main memories of Sonic were either dying a lot on Green Hill Zone Act 2 (The rising pillars kicked young me's ass.) and watching my mom be the absolute best at Sonic 1 and 2.

Willhart

Postby Willhart » October 24th, 2015, 10:31 am

We only had PlayStation 1 and PC when I was really young. The first games I played were mostly some old dos games, and then some really old PC games that were mostly free. On Playstation we had Rayman 1, some driving game, Mickey Mania and later some of the Ratchet and Clank games when we got playstation 2. Rayman 1 was the first console game I ever completed or played, and took a really long time from me to get through. I've played all the other parts of that game series by now.

From the old dos games it's hard to remember much anymore, but I used to play Bluppo with my brother, since it was one of the rare multiplayer games we had. I also played some Crystal caves, Secret Agent Man and some of the Commander Keen games too. It's hard to remember much else though, since most games were either so obscure that I cannot find them anymore, or did not interest me too much at the time.

I also remember playing Ahriman's Prophecy at some point before I knew how to speak English. This was actually pretty big problem for me with most games I played at the time, and I had to sometimes to rely on my parents to translate stuff for me. Everything was so exciting back then, when I had no idea what I was doing, but somehow had fun anyway.

Edit: "Mario and Luigi" was the first Mario game I ever played as far as I remember.

Return to “The Trash Heap”