dark Gimmick!

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
Alice
⦂☽

dark Gimmick!

Postby Alice » January 4th, 2015, 4:29 am

💙💙💙

Sephiko

Re: dark Gimmick!

Postby Sephiko » January 4th, 2015, 5:03 am

Well it ain't a pit hack but the pits are-a-plenty.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 4th, 2015, 6:15 am

Well that was the shortest recording session I've had in a while.
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » January 4th, 2015, 6:27 am

Isocitration wrote:Well that was the shortest recording session I've had in a while.

Ragequit Incoming

EDIT: A 10 minute episode? What is this, 2006!?
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Absolut Zero
Site Developer

Postby Absolut Zero » January 4th, 2015, 7:52 am

I demand a recount!

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 4th, 2015, 8:26 am

Did the hourglass persist through your game over? I'm not familiar with the game but since the secret items unlock an extra level it seems realistic to think you'd need them all on the hack too and the non-100% ending isn't really different from the 100%, just the credits get moved to after the last level instead.
💙💙💙

Absolut Zero
Site Developer

Postby Absolut Zero » January 4th, 2015, 8:30 am

Alice wrote:Did the hourglass persist through your game over? I'm not familiar with the game but since the secret items unlock an extra level it seems realistic to think you'd need them all on the hack too and the non-100% ending isn't really different from the 100%, just the credits get moved to after the last level instead.

I was wondering this too, the map screen doesn't seem to have any clear information regarding the stage completion that I could see

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 4th, 2015, 8:32 am

I'm pretty sure game overing any time after the first level negates any chance at the true ending, so I didn't bother recollecting it.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 4th, 2015, 8:39 am

Are you going to go for the true ending as well? Seems like it might save time to just use savestates between levels so you don't have to go replay the game in one sitting to collect all the artifacts. (Unless you intend to do just that like you did in the original LP in which case ignore me.)
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 4th, 2015, 8:45 am

Absolut Zero wrote:I was wondering this too, the map screen doesn't seem to have any clear information regarding the stage completion that I could see

Just checked a faq to confirm my previous post. The flags on the overworld showing completed levels change color depending on whether you have the collectible item of the stage or not. Red flag means you got it, white means you didn't. Compare the overworld at the beginning of the video, then compare it at the end (post game over) and you'll see level one's flag changed to white.
Alice wrote:Are you going to go for the true ending as well? Seems like it might save time to just use savestates between levels so you don't have to go replay the game in one sitting to collect all the artifacts. (Unless you intend to do just that like you did in the original LP in which case ignore me.)

The plan is to do it the way I did it last time. I don't seriously expect to play each level well enough my first time through, this run is just practice for the real one later. This is the mindset I had going into the game, whether it will change due to difficulty later has yet to be determined.

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » January 4th, 2015, 9:45 am

If the first stage is any indication, I feel like we are in for one heck of a run.

I wonder if the ship in Stage 2 is pretty much one giant unchangeable structure and that's why it is so similar to the original?

Rumia

Postby Rumia » January 4th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Someone I know who was playing with the editor at some point remarked that the game is pretty fragile. I don't know to what extent, but there's likely quite a few technical limitations involved.

It made for an alright breather at least.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 5th, 2015, 6:11 am

Anyone got a link to the editor? I can add it to the OP and maybe it will give someone a project to work on.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 5th, 2015, 6:50 am

Oh my.
Oh my, oh my, oh my.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 5th, 2015, 10:00 am

Isocitration wrote:Oh my.
Oh my, oh my, oh my.

Oh jeez, lol. That level wasn't a big fan of you, was it?
💙💙💙

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » January 5th, 2015, 10:08 am

But it doesn't actually seem that difficult after you have done it once. The difficulty of this hack seems to mostly stem from learning on how to exactly position your star throws to get places. After you have done it once, it doesn't look like it's actually gonna be that much of a problem.

And I like the detail of giving that midboss the boss theme, as it's actually one of the dolls in the intro.

Kiwisauce

Postby Kiwisauce » January 6th, 2015, 3:37 am

Hmm... I'm not much of a fan of the third level's focus on ultra-precision punishing star throws. I thought the first level was fine since the tricky star throws were usually in safe environments.

It really is too bad that there's no way to manually cancel stars.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 6th, 2015, 7:14 am

Interestingly, the next level features much more difficult to pull off star throws, but in relatively safe environments. Failure is still quite punishing, just with your time instead of lives.

Absolut Zero
Site Developer

Postby Absolut Zero » January 6th, 2015, 7:30 am

Isocitration wrote:Interestingly, the next level features much more difficult to pull off star throws, but in relatively safe environments. Failure is still quite punishing, just with your time instead of lives.

Honestly that would aggravate me more then just dying outright. You are a trooper for trying to play this hack. It really seems like it is made for people that have straight up mastered the physics.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 6th, 2015, 7:42 am

Really I think what aggravates me the most so far is the star taking so long to disappear in some instances. I wonder if it would be possible to hack in a way to kill the active star by pressing a button. (select would probably work best since it's unused)

Absolut Zero
Site Developer

Postby Absolut Zero » January 6th, 2015, 7:50 am

Isocitration wrote:Really I think what aggravates me the most so far is the star taking so long to disappear in some instances. I wonder if it would be possible to hack in a way to kill the active star by pressing a button. (select would probably work best since it's unused)

Yeah totally! that would be awesome. Yesterdays video was painful when you fell into that hole with the special item, the star just takes forever to disappear :S

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » January 6th, 2015, 9:23 am

The TV grandma got was a "smart tv". So I was watching episode 3 when they came home from the store. I didn't kill it in time, so they watched me watch you playing this game in full voice cracking glory.

They always make fun of me for watching people play games instead of enjoying them myself. But then they understood why it's not always fun to play a game but now are accusing me of sadism

cannot into victory
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 6th, 2015, 9:28 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:accusing me of sadism

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sadism. It's actually kinda in human nature anyways. Sadism is only an issue when it comes to people getting seriously injured or worse really. Laughing at someone torturing themselves with a difficult game is a non-issue really. (Or when the player in question does something stupid and loses a bunch of progress, though personally I just feel bad for them then. Same when they're legitimately getting frustrated.)
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » January 6th, 2015, 9:36 am

*sudden urge to link to rammstein songs*
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » January 7th, 2015, 1:20 am

Yeah wow uh, regarding the third level, it's really opening up some potentially abhorrent doorways. Hopefully future levels aren't worse!

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » January 7th, 2015, 3:32 am

Alice wrote:
Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:accusing me of sadism

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sadism. It's actually kinda in human nature anyways. Sadism is only an issue when it comes to people getting seriously injured or worse really. Laughing at someone torturing themselves with a difficult game is a non-issue really. (Or when the player in question does something stupid and loses a bunch of progress, though personally I just feel bad for them then. Same when they're legitimately getting frustrated.)

She's right, it's clearly consensual here ;). And pain is pleasure after all (seriously, I'm now having deja-vu memories of reading that pain and pleasure activate the same parts of the brain :/)! There's nothing bad about pleasure when it's not at someone else's expense (it's not here, obviously).

totally not just saying this because I just attempted to teach Tiamat how a whip works and I feel the need to justify my own sadomasochistic tendencies
Last edited by EarthPhantomTS on January 7th, 2015, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Kiwisauce

Postby Kiwisauce » January 7th, 2015, 3:35 am

This is one of those games where I'm quite impressed with Iso's patience. I would have given up in level 3 at the part where you have to bounce on the star over columns in water, if not earlier.

I think one of the biggest problems with having such a finicky precision-oriented mechanic in a puzzle game is that the player will always try to use that mechanic to solve a problem since it's not obvious whether it will work or not. When there's a different solution, this just leads to the player wasting a bunch of time, because you can't be sure whether the solution is wrong or if you're just not executing it properly. For example, the part at the beginning of level 4 where you're supposed to jump off the king's head to reach the corridor.

All my comments about this game have been pretty negative, so I'll just clarify that while I don't approve of the game design, I am quite enjoying the LP showcasing its ridiculousness. Go Iso!

potato_sniff
Cousin Janet

Postby potato_sniff » January 7th, 2015, 6:31 am

Man this game is mean and id have to agree with kiwisauce on this game.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 7th, 2015, 9:31 am

You know, it's weird. Playing this level I thought it was barely changed from the original, but right now I'm playing the original and it's quite a bit different. Dunno what I was thinking.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 7th, 2015, 9:49 am

What's that little meter looking thing at the bottom right of the screen? I keep noticing it. Is it like a cpu meter or something like that? I'm pretty sure SMB3 has something similar though I forget exactly what it was.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 7th, 2015, 10:11 am

No idea, my guess is that it's a graphical bug in the hack, since it doesn't appear in the original game.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » January 7th, 2015, 11:09 am

Isocitration wrote:You know, it's weird. Playing this level I thought it was barely changed from the original, but right now I'm playing the original and it's quite a bit different. Dunno what I was thinking.

You know, it's weird. Watching this game I thought it's completely different from the original, but right now I'm looking up the original and it's quite a bit similar. I must be getting old.

<tovakj> yes

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » January 8th, 2015, 1:01 am

Oh wow those frog guys are so adorable!
SQUISH

Kiwisauce

Postby Kiwisauce » January 8th, 2015, 2:00 am

Okay, that level was actually pretty good. It used the stage elements in pretty creative ways (I especially liked the frog jumps), and didn't go overboard with star shenanigans.

Plus that boss is way more interesting than the other bosses in the game.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 8th, 2015, 7:32 am

Okay yeah I think I'm a bit worried about how the 1cc is going to go.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » January 8th, 2015, 8:44 am

Isocitration wrote:Okay yeah I think I'm a bit worried about how the 1cc is going to go.

maybe please consider savestates for your sanity. maybe sit down with a preplanned timeframe of sorts, like "I'll try for an hour and if I'm not through X I'll used them to get things down in ideally x hours". You don't need to what the hell this I think

<tovakj> yes

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 8th, 2015, 11:27 am

Well that was nice timing. I get up and there's a new video uploaded like ten minutes ago.
Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:maybe please consider savestates for your sanity. maybe sit down with a preplanned timeframe of sorts, like "I'll try for an hour and if I'm not through X I'll used them to get things down in ideally x hours". You don't need to what the hell this I think

Yeah, really go with this idea, Iso.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 8th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Oh man so I downloaded the editor. I've been messing around with it and it seems to be more flexible than I thought it would be.

I can dig it.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/591/

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 8th, 2015, 4:17 pm

I went ahead and added that to the OP.
💙💙💙

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » January 8th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Oh geez, the whole time you were trying to get into the place with the artifact, I was screaming "Iso you moron there isn't even anything up there"
and then I was like "oh"

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”