dark Gimmick!

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
Alice
⦂☽

Re: dark Gimmick!

Postby Alice » January 9th, 2015, 12:07 am

Alice wrote:The game's ROM can be found easily here.

Since this wasn't as obvious as I had thought it would be, it looks to be against our hosting service's acceptable use policy to even link a rom site. For anyone curious on the specific bits without having to read the whole thing: (Spoilered simply to save space.)
Comply with existing laws

DMCA Violation and take down procedure: When a DMCA violation has been reported, each customer is notified and is given 24 hours to send us back a proper response or remove the pages/material in violation. After the 24 hour period, the site is suspended until we receive proper correspondence. The second and third violations result in an automatic account suspension and a fourth violation will cause an account removal.

Illegal use: Arvixe services may not be used for illegal purposes, or in support of illegal activities. Arvixe reserves the right to cooperate with legal authorities and/or injured third parties in the investigation of any suspected crime or civil wrongdoing.

Copyright or trademark infringement: Use of the Arvixe service to transmit any material (by e-mail, uploading, posting or otherwise) that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or other proprietary rights of any third party, including, but not limited to, the unauthorized copying of copyrighted material, the digitization and distribution of photographs from magazines, books, or other copyrighted sources, and the unauthorized transmittal of copyrighted software.

Infringement of Copyright, Patent, Trademark, Trade Secret, or Intellectual Property Right: Distribution and/or posting of copyrighted or the aforementioned infringements will not be tolerated.

So even though simply linking to another site like that shouldn't count really, I'd rather not risk it. And it's easy enough to find something like a rom on your own. There's several well known rom sites that work fine.
Last edited by Alice on January 9th, 2015, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Not where I meant to put that
💙💙💙

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » January 9th, 2015, 12:15 am

Alice wrote:
Alice wrote:The game's ROM can be found easily here.

Since this wasn't as obvious as I had thought it would be, it looks to be against our hosting service's acceptable use policy to even link a rom site. For anyone curious on the specific bits without having to read the whole thing: (Spoilered simply to save space.)
Comply with existing laws

DMCA Violation and take down procedure: When a DMCA violation has been reported, each customer is notified and is given 24 hours to send us back a proper response or remove the pages/material in violation. After the 24 hour period, the site is suspended until we receive proper correspondence. The second and third violations result in an automatic account suspension and a fourth violation will cause an account removal.

Illegal use: Arvixe services may not be used for illegal purposes, or in support of illegal activities. Arvixe reserves the right to cooperate with legal authorities and/or injured third parties in the investigation of any suspected crime or civil wrongdoing.

Copyright or trademark infringement: Use of the Arvixe service to transmit any material (by e-mail, uploading, posting or otherwise) that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or other proprietary rights of any third party, including, but not limited to, the unauthorized copying of copyrighted material, the digitization and distribution of photographs from magazines, books, or other copyrighted sources, and the unauthorized transmittal of copyrighted software.

Infringement of Copyright, Patent, Trademark, Trade Secret, or Intellectual Property Right: Distribution and/or posting of copyrighted or the aforementioned infringements will not be tolerated.

So even though simply linking to another site like that shouldn't count really, I'd rather not risk it. And it's easy enough to find something like a rom on your own. There's several well known rom sites that work fine.

A way I have seen to circumvent that is to link to a google search that will yield the link u are trying to post

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 9th, 2015, 12:18 am

Well that's kinda like what I did in that spoiler actually. That should work then now that you mention it. I'll go ahead and replace the url in the OP with one like that then.
💙💙💙

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » January 9th, 2015, 2:21 am

Sorry I didnt read the spoiler

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 9th, 2015, 2:31 am

I probably should've actually put that bit outside the spoiler, lol. To be honest I thought I had. Whoops.
💙💙💙

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » January 9th, 2015, 3:01 am

Too bad CoolROM got rekt by Nintendo recently.
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 9th, 2015, 7:12 am

Well that was stressful.
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Kiwisauce

Postby Kiwisauce » January 9th, 2015, 8:35 am

Isocitration wrote:Well that was stressful.

Ooh, did you win? I don't remember how this works - does the final level have to be completed as part of the 1cc run, or can you game over and continue after unlocking it?

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 9th, 2015, 8:59 am

If you game over in the final level, you can resume in it, thankfully!

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » January 9th, 2015, 10:48 am

Oh my god, that was so close it's not even funny.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 9th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Lead Luigi wrote:Too bad CoolROM got rekt by Nintendo recently.

Oh, is that what happened to CoolROM? I was a bit confused why they wouldn't have a game like Mr. Gimmick available.

Edit: Also assuming this is the last or second to last video, does anyone else want the thread for the next LP?
💙💙💙

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 9th, 2015, 2:36 pm

So posting the lives requirements from the video since I said I would:
  • 10,000 (+10,000)
  • 30,000 (+20,000)
  • 60,000 (+30,000)
  • 100,000 (+40,000)
  • 150,000 (+50,000)
  • 210,000 (+60,000)
  • 280,000 (+70,000)
  • 360,000 (+80,000) (Note that after this point the requirement is capped and you gain another life every 80,000 points (verified up to 520,000 at least))
  • 440,000 (+80,000)
  • 520,000 (+80,000)
  • 600,000 (+80,000)
  • 680,000 (+80,000)
  • 760,000 (+80,000)
  • 840,000 (+80,000)
  • 920,000 (+80,000)
  • 1,000,000 (+80,000)
You earned ten point based lives that session as well as the one from combining bombs meaning you used a grand total of 26 in this video.

Also how long were you playing when you game overed, Iso?
Last edited by Alice on January 9th, 2015, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added in the relative amount of points for a bit more clarity
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 9th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Alice wrote:Also how long were you playing when you game overed, Iso?

The raw video is 55 minutes, so minus the minute or two I spent sulking at the end it probably took around 53 minutes.

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » January 9th, 2015, 4:28 pm

It's not very often when I stress out while watching an LP

Telamon

Postby Telamon » January 9th, 2015, 9:22 pm

thought you had it, bro. But with all the science out of the way, no doubt next run will be your day.

Kiwisauce

Postby Kiwisauce » January 10th, 2015, 12:00 am

I know I was complaining about the life mechanic at the beginning, but that 1cc attempt sure was exciting. I guess I forgot that the game was relatively short.

That was so close though... I wonder if the extra life room is even worth it, considering your success rate at getting to it and the fact that you would need to make it there 100% of the time to make a profit and 50% of the time to not lose anything.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 10th, 2015, 7:19 am

I was afraid something like this would happen... Suddenly I can't beat stage 5. Great.

Game overed there in both of my attempts today. And no video today sorry, not uploading another zero progress episode. Although I did find some new content in an old level. If I remember I'll show that footage in the next part.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 11th, 2015, 6:57 am

It looks today there might be a video!?

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » January 11th, 2015, 1:16 pm

[quote=Isocitration]It looks today there might be a video!?[/quote] 

[spoiler][spoiler]you did it :D  [/spoiler] spoiler
[/spoiler]
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 11th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote: [quote=Isocitration]It looks today there might be a video!?

[spoiler][spoiler]you did it :D  [/spoiler] spoiler
[/spoiler][/quote]

You don't say?

Sephiko

Postby Sephiko » January 11th, 2015, 1:39 pm

man you sure like those rotate-o codes

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » January 11th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Hey I knew you could do it!
and you DID!
Which further proves that I'm never wrong ever

Telamon

Postby Telamon » January 11th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Your insatiable lust for science is a credit to mankinds everywhere.

Also good jorb.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 12th, 2015, 6:16 am

I forgot how weird the final boss of this game is.

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » January 12th, 2015, 10:11 am

And so the everlasting battle between dolls and action figures comes to a climatic finale! At least that's how I interpret that final boss, as that guy makes no sense if he isn't just some random Star Wars action figure.

Buttson

Postby Buttson » January 12th, 2015, 11:16 am

7TC7 wrote:And so the everlasting battle between dolls and action figures comes to a climatic finale! At least that's how I interpret that final boss, as that guy makes no sense if he isn't just some random Star Wars action figure.

Most of the fight was clearly one kid going "I got you with my star" and the other with the knock off Chinese Darth Vader going "nuh uh I dodged it with my ninja flip"
Image Dicks

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 12th, 2015, 4:17 pm

I'll edit the last episode into the OP when I'm home unless Iso wants to do it. Trying to do something like that on a phone, 3ds, or tablet is kinda a real pain.

Good job though, Iso. I'm surprised you had so little trouble with the space Dracula thing.
💙💙💙

Telamon

Postby Telamon » January 12th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Don't worry about taking the time you need to set up the comp. I want to see that Call of Duty lp done RIGHT.

Rumia

Postby Rumia » January 12th, 2015, 6:39 pm

I think the final boss is meant to be the girl's most neglected toy, vs the more cutesy ones she appears to prefer (Mr. Gimmick/Yumetaro, etc). Makes sense with the gendered marketing of the 90's at least.

Good job pushing through and beating the game! I'd probably have given up early at the tedious bits myself. :?

Kiwisauce

Postby Kiwisauce » January 13th, 2015, 2:10 am

Well, that final level was a bit anticlimactic after the rest of the game.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » January 19th, 2015, 1:35 am

Kiwisauce wrote:Well, that final level was a bit anticlimactic after the rest of the game.

Probably not the place to ask this, but Kiwi's comment up there has got me wondering, what would a game be like if it was backwards? Like trying to make anticlimax: the game, where it starts out what the hell quality and slowly builds down to smw level pleasantness? Does anything like that exist?

Also holy fuck that would make for one hell of a speedgame if it's speedrun compatible.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Berion

Postby Berion » February 4th, 2015, 10:17 am

Hi,
my name is Przemek and I'm one of the creator of this sadists hack. ;)

Thank You for playing! I really enjoyed your dying, feeling like an old grandpa from The Saw films. ;p But I really appreciate that You not only played and finished this hack but You exploring and looking for secrets. That's the purpose designing this game modification. Gimmick! is the most precious game from my childhood; I remember how we trying finishing it, finding secrets area, easter eggs etc. with my brothers and sister. I couldn't expect that one day I have enough knowledge to recreate one those games from those times.

And this is the reason why it is hard. I know every aspect of this game, including very special physics mechanics. The way how Sunsoft coded it is impressive. So I trying utilize it as many as possible. I don't agree that this is kind of Kaizo hacks. In reality it isn't so hard. In Kaizo player must calculate jumps for to 1px with short time period - and with very long sequences. This not going happening in Dark Gimmick! I agree that this hack splitting man from boys. ;] In most cases, You dying because You start from wrong position.

- - -

I see that You using NTSC colour pallete. I reccomending PAL palette in which game will looks a lot better. If You use Nestopia or Nestopia Undead it's possible to choose different, even custom ones.

On LV1 the pit right just before underwater tube, there's easy way to cross it but I admit that I didn't expect the way You choose. Congratulation!

On LV3 You exploited my first level, I didn't expected. Kudos! :D

On LV4 You've found 'bad design', which mean that I forgot to add blockers on top. Sorry, I'm really trying excpect everything, every player possible behavior and making bugfree hack. This is one of the most disspainting things for player and I apologuise for this glitch.

On LV4 You exploited once again my precious death trap. I so much want players to jump on blocks right after the arrows. Meh ^^"

On LV4 after the arena there's a flame. It's possible to cross it without taking hit.

On LV4 in mid boss area, there's also easiest way (but most risky) to getting to energy bottle.

On LV4 You choose absolutly motherf* extremely pain the ass way to get to secret area. And You succeed! I must take off hat from my head. Seriously. And I regret not to see Your face when You discovered the proper way to get in there. :D

On LV6 You missed very hand item which You can replicate by checkpoint glitching.

- - -

wonder if the ship in Stage 2 is pretty much one giant unchangeable structure and that's why it is so similar to the original?

Editor is great but not offering to change event triggers. So I must stick to them, that's why some levels are completely redesigned and some less. Changing it in game code it's not so easy, so I decided to leave them as they are. Well, in one case Dizzy9 must edit it (because I moved water trigger on LV5).

It really is too bad that there's no way to manually cancel stars.

Mapper on which Gimmick! was published is very unique, well, to be honest, it's one of it's kind. And developers doesn't left to us to many free space to add our code. It Was very hard to add snow and HUD swapping. But I agree that cancelling star would be great gameplay improvement (in v1.0 there was bug in secret on LV3 when stars blocking and bouncing forever breaking the game, so I must change it to form what You see on Iso's LP).

What's that little meter looking thing at the bottom right of the screen? I keep noticing it. Is it like a cpu meter or something like that? I'm pretty sure SMB3 has something similar though I forget exactly what it was.

It's graphical glitch which we cannot remove. This is the price for changing colour pallete after game screen ends. If we didn't do that, HUD will be in different colours in every screen when palette change, making it even unreadable in some cases.

Well, old consoles don't use graphic formats as today. In those times there's no headers and pallete images, only data images. This save a lot of space. NES/Famicom can displaying only 4 colours with 4 semi palettes, but one of those colours must be the same. So we were limited to colour use as any other game developer for this platform. The only way to use much more palettes is swapping them on the fly but this it's possible for no less but whole tile line (256x8 px) and every time when You did it, screen moved by 1px in height (this is why hud is upper than in original).

- - -

If it's to hard for someone, there's a RAM modifications (address + value):

Unlimited lives (it changes count to 99 but it will glitch and count infinitely)
0x0104 0x63

Start from any level i.e LV5 if you type 05
0x001B 0x??

- - -

Oh! And sorry for my English. I'm from Poland and this lang family is very hard for me. I hope I'm not sounds like an neanderthal man.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 4th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Berion wrote:Oh! And sorry for my English. I'm from Poland and this lang family is very hard for me. I hope I'm not sounds like an neanderthal man.

Your English isn't that bad at all. It's not perfect but it's completely understandable. And it's very interesting to see some insight from the hack's author. Welcome to the forums.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » February 4th, 2015, 10:07 pm

Very cool! It's always great to be able to meet the creator of a game I've played.
Berion wrote:I see that You using NTSC colour pallete. I reccomending PAL palette in which game will looks a lot better. If You use Nestopia or Nestopia Undead it's possible to choose different, even custom ones.

Honestly I didn't even realize the palettes were different between regions! And until I looked at the editor for Gimmick! myself, I didn't even know the NES/Famicom had such a limited amount of colors available to choose for palettes.
Berion wrote:On LV6 You missed very hand item which You can replicate by checkpoint glitching.

Oh? Now I'm curious, haha!

Berion

Postby Berion » February 5th, 2015, 10:21 am

Me to. And there is more differences, i.e PAL-A and PAL-B have highest resolution but it's slowest. So the best setup is mixing NTSC region and PAL colours. :] If You are curious to try, I have uploaded IMO best NES/Famicom palettes. Try FCEUX.pal. Palette used in editor is darkest than in reality.
http://rghost.net/download/7lCNFW65y/21 ... alettes.7z

Also I reccomend two the best and most functional emulators: FCEUX and Nestopia Undead:
http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia/
http://www.fceux.com/web/home.html

- - -

You missed energy bottle. She is in the far right in "cat area". You have good idea but You throw it out and goes to left for additional life ball. ;p The passage is in highest part of the screen.

Oh, and about "checkpoint glitching". I can setup whatever I want checkpoints but some events, setup them ignoring checkpoint table. In this case, game not remember bottles which was collected after checkpoint position. That's why when player collect i.e additional life ball and die after that event, it will reset and can be collected again. This happen on several levels like i.e LV4 with 1st bottle, LV6 with false entrance to secret area (right before boss battle), LV7. I realize this to late, so I decided to not change level design. It's kind of a bad design.

- - -

I hope You enjoyed this hack, especially exploring. Even with actual difficulty level. But as You can see, difficulty level it depend only on star mechanics - in Your LP, when You trying ridiculous hard jump (well, the right and easy way it's different, look how I doing this on my channel on beta releases :}) several times, the earlier section You go like a thunder. There's few blind jumps, that's true, but I like them in games. There's some minor issues like above one, one bug which You found with missing blockers (that's why pterodactyl will push You above the beach area to the end section of this level - once again, sorry.). I have spend on this hack more than 100 hours, testig, hacking, designing, calculating. This was the huge effort to make this bug free (almost ;p) and polished.

- - -

So... maybe next LP will be Green Dizzy? ;p

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 11th, 2016, 1:34 am

Anybody who wants to see Iso look bad despite conquering Dark Gimmick should watch this tas of the original.

I was rewatching Iso's original and Dark Gimmick lps recently and decided to see if there was a tas of it or not.
💙💙💙

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”