Hyper Metroid

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
Alice
⦂☽

Hyper Metroid

Postby Alice » August 8th, 2016, 12:42 pm

💙💙💙

Rumia

Re: Hyper Metroid

Postby Rumia » August 8th, 2016, 7:34 pm

I've played this one! I think I rage-quit it actually but I don't remember why. :undecided: Iso will probably have more patience with it than me at any rate, and what I recall of it is pretty neat.

It's worth going into the readme to check the moveset at least. Aside from the back-dash they're mostly shortcuts and little conveniences, but they're all pretty useful.

Ozzy Ment

Postby Ozzy Ment » August 8th, 2016, 11:55 pm

I've been waiting for this one. Hyper Metroid is not made from Super Metroid directly, it's actually the first hack to be built off of another hack called Project Base. That's where it gets things like the backflip and green energy units. But it also has some pretty good innovations of its own, which will show up later.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » August 10th, 2016, 4:45 am

There's something very pleasant about watching Iso somersault/roll around and bomb all over the place looking for secrets. I don't seem to remember much from Iso's Metroid LPs for some reason, but I always enjoy watching them.

... Haven't I heard something about Iso not having the power to destroy faces before?

Ozzy Ment

Postby Ozzy Ment » August 11th, 2016, 3:30 am

The Charge Beam triples the damage from your beam. I think it's intended to be used a last resort though, for after you're out of missiles. If you want to see the new moves not present in vanilla Super Metroid, I think they're on the download page for Project base.

Requesting you kill an antlion monster with the Bootleg Screw Attack while it's extended.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » August 11th, 2016, 5:29 am

And so the power to destroy faces was discovered. The Charge Beam certainly does have some neat uses in this hack... I had never realized that the beam powerups from the first three games were all little animal statues until just now, when I went to look up the Charge Beam--which is by far the goofiest-looking one! (The one for the Plasma Beam is actually kinda cute, and the cycloptic Kingler carrying the Spazer is just odd.)

Ozzy Ment wrote:Requesting you kill an antlion monster with the Bootleg Screw Attack while it's extended.

That... seems like it could be either terrifying or hilarious. Or perhaps both at the same time, which would fit with the highly unexpected  ant lion + Grapple synergy  we discovered in this episode.

I forgot to mention it before, but I like the decision to make red doors open with only one missile. It's a nice convenience. I have to wonder, though--if this game has a door that isn't red, green, yellow, or blue (I was pretty sure there was a magenta door in one of the Super Metroid hacks Iso's played), what will it require to open? (Probably just multiple missiles, but it wouldn't surprise me if this game got really creative with it.)

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » August 11th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Speedless wrote:(I was pretty sure there was a magenta door in one of the Super Metroid hacks Iso's played)

That would be Metroid Redesign. It had magenta doors in front of boss rooms and such, to eat some of your missiles beforehand (it takes 25 missiles, 5 supers, or any combination thereof to open them).

Anyway, today's episode was fun, but I can't help but think Iso's sequence breaking, like he's not meant to go to the Wrecked Ship yet.

Oh wait, this is a hack, isn't it? They probably still have the Gravity Suit after Phantoon, just like how hacks seem to love their "Hell runs" :tundecided: .
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Rumia

Postby Rumia » August 11th, 2016, 10:01 pm

I think he's fine, I remember going to the Wrecked Ship at this point as well.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » August 12th, 2016, 4:10 am

So... how about that Samus death animation?
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » August 12th, 2016, 12:44 pm

wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » August 12th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:Image

Was this an edit by Iso? I thought this post was a joke until watching the video, lol.
💙💙💙

Ozzy Ment

Postby Ozzy Ment » August 12th, 2016, 9:14 pm

I'd forgotten about this game's issues with save point starvation.

Excellent edit of the death animation.

Try setting a bomb while in lava and moving just a little bit to the side.

chridd

Postby chridd » August 12th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Hyper Metroid: Like Super Metroid, but faster, jumps higher, and has a double jump thing that makes the whole screen flash.
...oh, wait, that was Hyper Sonic.

Also, I was right in my prediction that I didn't post anywhere about the Wrecked Ship's power.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » August 17th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Those microbosses are retardedly adorable, lol. I really want to see a micro-Ridley and Sporespawn now.
💙💙💙

Rumia

Postby Rumia » August 18th, 2016, 5:22 am

Mini-Crocomire is an actual unused enemy in the base game. Mini-Phantoon was a cute treat though.

I think I quit this hack because I got really frustrated with all the red herring paths while not knowing where to go. They've been the bane of my existence in metroidvanias since then. If a path just leads to a locked door or something and nothing else, just put the lock at the start of the path??

Also, there is a patch to make the death animation safe for work, but then we'd miss out on the wacky censors :tangry:. I can dig it up if you or anyone else wants it though.

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » August 18th, 2016, 11:37 am

Rumia wrote:Also, there is a patch to make the death animation safe for work, but then we'd miss out on the wacky censors :tangry:. I can dig it up if you or anyone else wants it though.

I hope Iso doesn't use it. I like the censors (also am secretly hoping Iso forgets to censor a death later on and I get to see naked Samus Image...wait did I say that out loud?!)
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » August 18th, 2016, 11:47 am

EarthPhantomTS wrote:...wait did I say that out loud?!

I'm pretty sure it'd be weirder if you hadn't, lol.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » August 18th, 2016, 11:48 am

Personally I'm curious if the best ending is changed as well.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » August 18th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Aw, man. You uploaded right before I was intending to go to bed when I already accidentally stayed up later than planned as it is. Well at least I have a video to look forward to after I wake up, lol.
💙💙💙

Speedless

Postby Speedless » August 21st, 2016, 6:11 am

Out of curiosity, what was your completion percentage at the end of today's episode? You showed the Samus screen when it was 93% before the Great Item Search, but not right at the end of the video this time.

As for that mystery door... is this going to be like Redesign and have a 20-minute escape sequence or something? Because I can't really visualize routes through the areas, not having played the game myself, but an absurdly long escape sequence could use a door like that as part of a new path... Was there a matching mystery door on the other side somewhere, or does it lead into unexplored territory?

Ozzy Ment

Postby Ozzy Ment » August 21st, 2016, 11:17 pm

The door leading to the area with Screw Attack prevents the baby metroid encounter from being a point of no return.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » August 22nd, 2016, 1:02 am

Hey Iso, what was your total play time for this hack? Unless I somehow missed it, I didn't see that during the ending when I could've sworn Super Metroid usually tells you your play time when it tells your completion rate.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » August 22nd, 2016, 1:12 am

The clear time is right before the credits, not with the clear percentage for some reason.

Rumia

Postby Rumia » August 22nd, 2016, 1:13 am

That was a great Tourian, esp. the organic/rusted parts and the escape sequence.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » August 22nd, 2016, 1:37 am

Isocitration wrote:Image

The clear time is right before the credits, not with the clear percentage for some reason.

Oh, well that would explain a lot. I was fiddling with my speakers or something during the ship scene. Nine hours doesn't seem like a bad play time for a 100% run of a Metroid romhack.
💙💙💙

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”