Challenge of the Ancient Empires

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
Alice
⦂☽

Challenge of the Ancient Empires

Postby Alice » November 21st, 2015, 9:49 pm

💙💙💙

Telamon

Re: Challenge of the Ancient Empires

Postby Telamon » November 21st, 2015, 10:20 pm

Welcome back Iso!

I gotta say the protagonist in this has the best pimp-walk, even if he only does it at like 10 frames per second.

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » November 24th, 2015, 2:52 pm

I have to agree with telamon, I can't make sense if the protagonist is like a robot cat with sunglasses and a baseball cap or something, But he still has a super jaunty carefree walk.

Still the Nostalgia burns fiercely in this LP. It's a acrid smoke that smells of poloroids, simple novelettes, and when nerd culture wasn't mainstream.

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » November 24th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Watching this series, I can see why Iso loved La-Mulana so much. You gotta admit, this game and La-Mulana do have kinda a similar...feel to them, although La-Mulana is much more action-oriented (as well as brain-breaking puzzle oriented) and it has far more sexual innuendo.

Also, nothing like Tiamat in this game thus far. Though it *does* have a level based off the Ishtar gate :theart: !
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » November 24th, 2015, 10:03 pm

EarthPhantomTS wrote:Watching this series, I can see why Iso loved La-Mulana so much. You gotta admit, this game and La-Mulana do have kinda a similar...feel to them, although La-Mulana is much more action-oriented (as well as brain-breaking puzzle oriented) and it has far more sexual innuendo.

Heh, I hadn't even thought about that until you said something but you're right, lol. Might explain why I'm enjoying this lp so far.
💙💙💙

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » November 27th, 2015, 10:14 pm

In the latest episode Iso encounters the giant green ant! (hope thats green) but wait...

The body shape of it is really weird, It has a bulbous abdomen like a spider, but 3 body segments, 6 legs and antennae.

On inspection it is more like a wingless wasp or a velvet ant. You see the order hymenoptera (wasps and bees) has the family of ants which are called Formicidae. When it comes to identifying ants, specifically formicadae as opposed to velvet ants (which are not in the family formicadae) the identifying feature of formicadae is their elbowed antennae versus typically curly or straight antennae.
Another notable thing is the the large brown ant lacks sizable mandibles, which are another significant feature of most hymenoptera and specifically of ants.

iirc, most of the time when an insect is flightless it is limited to the female, while the male does have flight. In the case of Velvet ants the females lack wings and can sting, while the males can fly. I'd say it's safe to say that the ant is female, or a drone.

I'll ignore the rolling pellets the ant spits and cough it up to creative choices.

It's pretty clear that the Big Ant has curly and whipping antennae that lack a distinct elbow. It also has no visible mandibles either altohugh this could simply be due to the angle which we view it from. This means that is either a rare depiction of a wingless wasp in a video game, or that this is an old game and the sprite artists didn't research things deeply.

Fun-facts! Formicidae refers to the fasct that to ant stings containing formic-acid. Velvet ants, which are actually flightless wasps, look like large ants with bright red hair on their heads and abdomens. They are super cool looking and it turns out that they probably one of the most painful stings in the insect world, earning them their nickname of cow killer.
You think that velvet ants not near your area? hehe sorry but I've found them in the hills of Orange County and as far north as Shasta County.

Oh man, insects.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » December 1st, 2015, 7:22 pm

Okay apparently I horribly misremembered expert mode because it's barely any different. Just some slight alterations to rooms and no health to be found it seems. I'm kinda disappointed and it might not be worth continuing unless the changes become more drastic (I played all of the Near East though and I think there was one new room in the entirety of it)
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”