Tova plays YGO! The Sacred Cards

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Tova plays YGO! The Sacred Cards

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 11th, 2015, 10:45 pm

Last edited by Tovarisch Red Yoshi on December 5th, 2015, 10:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Re: Tova plays YGO! The Sacred Cards

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 11th, 2015, 10:46 pm

wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » October 11th, 2015, 10:58 pm

Hyohyohyo, it's about time. :kappa:

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 11th, 2015, 11:07 pm

Am I just blind or is Tova actually the author?
💙💙💙

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » October 11th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Alice wrote:Image
Am I just blind or is Tova actually the author?

What, don't you know? Tova is secretly Pholtos, in addition to being secretly Iso :twink:!

Anyway, I'll watch it later. For now, I subbed, and I'm trying to get over the fact that you, in fact, do not sound like a philosopher-Yoshi :tsurprise: !
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » October 12th, 2015, 9:07 am

You know a couple things strike me about this. Firstly it's got some striking differences from the actual card game. Like the fact that elements actually are significant. All traps being automatic. iirc there were actually reactive effects from monsters and spell cards, I'd imagine that this game probably doesn't have those reactive effects since it is greatly simplified.

I was perplexed at the art for "Wretched ghost" and "Witch's apprentice." The former, because I thought it was just a lazy recolor of kuribo just for the game...turns out it is actually a real card.

Witch's apprentice looked to be similar case, mostly because it didn't make sense that it was a white winged angel hugging a stalactite would would be a dark creature. Spoilers! turns out that it is a Dark angel holding a broom...which really just raises more questions, considering that sterotypically witches use brooms to fly.
hmm...lets put it like this a winged humanoid using say...a hang-glider...would simply be ridiculous. Would it not?
In before. Of course Zummorr would notice a chicken lady.

Side note. Maybe you should check editing on this there is a very low static throughout the video. It's noticeable in the intro. particularly to head-phone users. Not a major issue though.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 12th, 2015, 1:55 pm

Noted

It's prolly something I just live with. This house has a terrible amount of ambient noise and it's maddening. I recorded in the living room for some reason and the ac just screams into that room like a drunk with night terrors. I guess I'll try to have a sample and try to use audacity or something to clean it up

I also think kuriboh's the retrained version of WGotA. That is, WGotA predated Kuriboh, I think it might have even been a card with Bandai potential (like from yugi and kaiba's very first duels) before Konami got the rights to the tcg and kuriboh came later, dk era. And since Kuriboh gained an effect, it's kinda like the Celtic Guardian > Obnoxious Celtic Guardian thing

I could be wrong, though. Though fun fact - Sangan is Critter in Japan, or Kurittaa; it shares the same pose, and so might be an evil kuriboh

<tovakj> yes

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » October 12th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Adding an adjective in front of the name of a really bland card strikes me as err, lazy?

At the same time the card's translated name is simply "elf swordsman." So maybe should question the fact that the bandai/konami localization team thinks that the irish and welsh have tapered ears.

As a fun fact though. Tolkien's elves of Middle earth have their language based on welsh though.The dwarven language is not based on scottish btw.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » October 14th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:... and it got weird because fan people.

I get the feeling that this quote could apply to a variety of things.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 31st, 2015, 5:54 pm

welp

so openshot doesn't preserve audio when you use it to speed up a clip for some reason. Had to do it in audacity instead. I didn't like having to do that so um, might not be editing like that again out of laziness

another aspect of the delay - I've had a shitty couple of weeks, sorry. but you know, explanations not excuses. The thing is though, that helped to really contribute to the "I didn't know what the fuck I was doing for the first half of the video, like, at all"

https://youtu.be/kO3hkvQfvDw

hopefully short link works. Hope you enjoy my lack of quality™

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » October 31st, 2015, 9:29 pm

I have no idea what that field spell effect thing you mentioned does but I'll take your word for it that math is involved and I'll have no part in that.
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » October 31st, 2015, 9:43 pm

Isocitration wrote:I have no idea what that field spell effect thing you mentioned does but I'll take your word for it that math is involved and I'll have no part in that.

So when I said 910? There's a card called Morphing Jar with 700 ATK. Because it's rock type, when the wasteland field spell card is active (indicated by the different field used with Rex), it recieves a powerup of 30%; the card had 910 ATK because of that, as indicated in the lower right corner. And the 10 points matter, like if it fought a card with 900 ATK, it would inflict 10 points of damage to my opponent (in a game that plays in the 8000s).

<tovakj> yes

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » November 14th, 2015, 12:46 am

I was disappointed that you didn't play or even mention Mecha Mole Zombie I mean it's a robotic zombified mole! Besides that you never mentioned what Mai the 0:1 did?

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » November 20th, 2015, 4:44 pm

https://youtu.be/7vXINu6baaM

When I was a performer, I was told never to apologize to the audience, because it allegedly insulted them. But the thing is I never understood that

Zummorr wrote:I was disappointed that you didn't play or even mention Mecha Mole Zombie I mean it's a robotic zombified mole! Besides that you never mentioned what Mai the 0:1 did?

I'm sorry re: MMZ
I don't really know what you mean by Mai the 0:1 did

<tovakj> yes

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » November 21st, 2015, 6:02 am

The mai Is "The Unhappy Mai" as seen at 16:58 in episode 2.

Well I think the implication for an apology is that the person making it did something wrong or offensive. I would guess that if an audience is dissatisfied with a performance, apologizing for it insults their ability to choose to watch something else.

But I would think that a completely unapologetic attitude might simply close one off to suggestions to improve quality. Obvious advice incoming, You must take what people say with a grain of salt, some of the salt they throw at you might be just the thing you need for your metaphorical dish, but other people like their meat distastefully salty, And some other people prefer their meat salted and dried into an entirely different jerky-like substance.

4kids had plenty of weird choices, We are pretty spoiled for good dubs these days, or atleast proper subs. Funnily enough I still stand by the old DBZ dub of not "Killing people" and instead "Sending them into the next dimension." Because the latter is far more accurate.

Oh man Dark Magician obtained, the hypest bland card around next to the Blue eyes Durgon.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » December 5th, 2015, 10:49 am

Zummorr wrote:The mai Is "The Unhappy Mai" as seen at 16:58 in episode 2.

Well I think the implication for an apology is that the person making it did something wrong or offensive. I would guess that if an audience is dissatisfied with a performance, apologizing for it insults their ability to choose to watch something else.

But I would think that a completely unapologetic attitude might simply close one off to suggestions to improve quality. Obvious advice incoming, You must take what people say with a grain of salt, some of the salt they throw at you might be just the thing you need for your metaphorical dish, but other people like their meat distastefully salty, And some other people prefer their meat salted and dried into an entirely different jerky-like substance.

4kids had plenty of weird choices, We are pretty spoiled for good dubs these days, or atleast proper subs. Funnily enough I still stand by the old DBZ dub of not "Killing people" and instead "Sending them into the next dimension." Because the latter is far more accurate.

Oh man Dark Magician obtained, the hypest bland card around next to the Blue eyes Durgon.

Sorry about being so late to answer!

Mai - The Unhappy Maiden - does nothing. She's 0 ATK 100 DEF, her main use - she's light attribute, so that makes her superior to Shadows I think. In the real game she ends the Battle Phase when she's destroyed, and sent to the graveyard as a result of battle (some effects in the game can send cards to the grave without destroying them, or destroy them by an effect as they're sent to the graveyard (to stop effects like this from happening), or returned to the hand, or other things).

New episode also! I think I'm starting to be better! Maybe! sorry

https://youtu.be/LJpvqggyzyQ

<tovakj> yes

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » December 5th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:

I think so.

To be fair concerning Iggy Insect? I forget his name. For a token villain he beat Exodia in the best way possible and he shows up later on in the series, so not 100% throwaway. I'm not a big follower of Yugioh as an anime. but did the other 3 cards of exodia just wash-up randomly on the shore somewhere and the gang had to duel 3 different throw away villains for the them...It wouldn't surprise me if they did that...this is anime after all.

I can see it now, a duel in submersibles against a throwaway sailor villain who uses pirates, And the stakes of the duel are a watery grave for the loser and the salt-water drenched exodia for the winner.
Anyways, one thing that kinda bothers me in this game is the arbitrary deck value that each card has. Like it makes sense in this kind of a game, as it gives the game a sense of progression and prevents the player from just spamming the best cards...but like it's something that you'd never get away with in a physical card game. It just seems like forcing a points value just really sucks here.

My viewing of Yugioh is super scattered like I've seen almost all of S1 of the show and I've seen fragments of duel city. And I've seen some Yugioh GX. I remember really liking the original Yugioh mostly for the fact that it was hilarious and frustrating to see how little actually happened in the duels. Like there were usually at most like 5 or 6 actual turned played per duel, so most of the duels were just gloating,taunting,bickering, and reflecting about what one should do.
And usually the duels were won in really stupid ways. like summoned skull winning Yugi the game by electrifying the water when he couldn't even do anything because of *reasons*

Still the nonsense of S1 was way better than GX "I use polymerization to summon Elemental Hero Pheonix-Heart!* And he attacks your life points directly" *Name is probably incorrect don't care*

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » December 5th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Zummorr wrote:
Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:

I think so.

To be fair concerning Iggy Insect? I forget his name. For a token villain he beat Exodia in the best way possible and he shows up later on in the series, so not 100% throwaway. I'm not a big follower of Yugioh as an anime. but did the other 3 cards of exodia just wash-up randomly on the shore somewhere and the gang had to duel 3 different throw away villains for the them...It wouldn't surprise me if they did that...this is anime after all.

I can see it now, a duel in submersibles against a throwaway sailor villain who uses pirates, And the stakes of the duel are a watery grave for the loser and the salt-water drenched exodia for the winner.
Anyways, one thing that kinda bothers me in this game is the arbitrary deck value that each card has. Like it makes sense in this kind of a game, as it gives the game a sense of progression and prevents the player from just spamming the best cards...but like it's something that you'd never get away with in a physical card game. It just seems like forcing a points value just really sucks here.

My viewing of Yugioh is super scattered like I've seen almost all of S1 of the show and I've seen fragments of duel city. And I've seen some Yugioh GX. I remember really liking the original Yugioh mostly for the fact that it was hilarious and frustrating to see how little actually happened in the duels. Like there were usually at most like 5 or 6 actual turned played per duel, so most of the duels were just gloating,taunting,bickering, and reflecting about what one should do.
And usually the duels were won in really stupid ways. like summoned skull winning Yugi the game by electrifying the water when he couldn't even do anything because of *reasons*

Still the nonsense of S1 was way better than GX "I use polymerization to summon Elemental Hero Pheonix-Heart!* And he attacks your life points directly" *Name is probably incorrect don't care*

Weevil Underwood, Insector Haga.

Exodia bye-byed forever down to the deep blue sea. It only came back when a villain of the week used a deck built around him - and only explicitly because he was using counterfeit cards, a self-mill stalling deck, and I believe outright cheating in other ways. And also the spirit of what Exodia was showed up in Egypt, but that was less the card and more the weird part of the anime  (he's basically forbidden in the sense that he's an omega powerful ba personification of loyalty, but he's one use - Hasan died). (iirc)

To the next line - well, yeah. I guess if anything it's proportional to real life reputation or something, where you can only go to nationals if you win regionals, and how both of these player tiers often get exclusive cards low tier players don't get. In practice it's all money based though so it's pretty much Kaiba's game. But honestly I'd kinda like to seem something like this in real life, like a draft tournament with magic numbers and stuff. Idk

I was the weird kid that liked, well... I didn't like what Marik did to Mai or how the game played with Joey or whatnot but I guess I really like sadistic games for how inventive they were... wow that sounds fucked up. I mean that's kind of what the series is - put the players in a position of high stress and stuff for dramatic effect, and then watch in satisfaction as the protag either outsmarted the villain playing by their own rules, or rarely see the villain win so the threat's credible. Russian Roulette's more fun when the fate's worse than death too. I think I'm more fucked up than I think, but like...

So in the early series, they played a tabletop rpg with the evil spirit who was planning on simply leaving them as figurines as he had with his previous victims, he played because shadow game makes people be noble demons. He still cheated with controlled dice throws, but the protagonists nearly won by having good bakura possess the hand with the dice... until evil bakura slammed his own hand into the lead set's castle tower spike giving bakura a hole in his hand. Something something eventually one by a sacrifice by a piece that achieved sentience because of the game liking the protagonists/implied sorta one of good bakura's old friends. Duelist Kingdom was actually kinda a writing slump - in part because the studio making the anime was cutting corners, in part because things accidental started to get formulaic again as other parts of the story (the actual important parts Takahashi had planned on telling) were being told before Takahashi stepped up with Kaiba's suicide gambit (which was the other things) and few other things. Basically I mean there were the duel part of the story and then there was the other part of the story like corporate espionage, kidnapping, the other becoming aware of the other yugi, yugi learning to talk to the spirit, love stuff with anzu the anime completely dropped, etc, happening around the get star chips tourney part, and he was focusing on that half, not the gaming itself.

Yeah

Apparently though GX mostly just got a bad dub. The characters took themselves and the situations they were in more seriously instead of bad pun out of order episodes remaking things into villain of the weak things. Weirdface McWeirdface wasn't a villain as much as a stereotypical Italian (Medici) teacher who tried to coach the protag. Speaking of, there was some freaking hermaphroditic stalker thing with him, a genocide at some point, and a bunch of stuff like that.

idk

<tovakj> yes

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » December 6th, 2015, 12:59 am

So a villain managed to play cards which tricked the kaiba-korp duel disk systems into thinking that they were legitimate cards? And how exactly does Yugi play around a card which "If you get it in your hand you win?" iirc he just mills out villain or something. Also the villain is bad at the game for not playing exodia and an entire deck of pot-of-greed.
If those Sea cucumbers get the two other pieces of Exodia, well they might become powerful to take over the world.

Deck value just seems more problematic than anything else. It takes away focus from the cards and assigns a number to what the creators of the card game determine a cards effectiveness to be. It might work if the game was created around it and synergy was very controlled. Draft play would suck.

Gotta love those sawblades that teleport people to shadow realm amiright? Young audience fiction is kinda unique in that it has a bunch of implied death or consequences worse than death, but usually really light on the violence. Like it's perfectly ok to vaporize a monster of the week into a shower of glitter or trap our hero in null-space or purgatory but like they'd never even chop off a finger of a major character. Or if they do they'd fix is fairly easily.

Regarding the fuck-up-edness. A former roomate of mine once said that everyone is fucked up in some way. I am inclined to disagree, he was a pefectly nice guy, except he was building an electric brick oven in room. At the same time, I'm sure that some people would probably rather go naked in public, rather than divulge their internet history.

GX just wasn't as creative to me. even though the original wasn't very good. It's still entertaining to watch as the rules change with almost every fight and how victory is pulled out of absurd gimmicks.
I believe the politically correct term is Intersex rather than Hermaphrodite. Not that it matters much here since the character is likely the result of weird Japanese choices at odds with the dub, rather than being a carefully crafted character. Some people might chew your face off for that, the same people who snarl at terms like "Lame."

Regarding Duelist Island as a slump. The dubs likely focused on the duels as to sell the card game to the west. After all there is alot of weird things going on in the show but winning a card game is generally pretty easy to follow. Think about it, this show has characters that have multiple personalities, mind control, a card game which makes no sense, dream sequences, and it starts in medias res. So it kinda makes sense why they don't focus on all the interesting side plots and things.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » December 6th, 2015, 4:34 am

Zummorr wrote:So a villain managed to play cards which tricked the kaiba-korp duel disk systems into thinking that they were legitimate cards? And how exactly does Yugi play around a card which "If you get it in your hand you win?" iirc he just mills out villain or something. Also the villain is bad at the game for not playing exodia and an entire deck of pot-of-greed.
If those Sea cucumbers get the two other pieces of Exodia, well they might become powerful to take over the world.

Deck value just seems more problematic than anything else. It takes away focus from the cards and assigns a number to what the creators of the card game determine a cards effectiveness to be. It might work if the game was created around it and synergy was very controlled. Draft play would suck.

Gotta love those sawblades that teleport people to shadow realm amiright? Young audience fiction is kinda unique in that it has a bunch of implied death or consequences worse than death, but usually really light on the violence. Like it's perfectly ok to vaporize a monster of the week into a shower of glitter or trap our hero in null-space or purgatory but like they'd never even chop off a finger of a major character. Or if they do they'd fix is fairly easily.

Regarding the fuck-up-edness. A former roomate of mine once said that everyone is fucked up in some way. I am inclined to disagree, he was a pefectly nice guy, except he was building an electric brick oven in room. At the same time, I'm sure that some people would probably rather go naked in public, rather than divulge their internet history.

GX just wasn't as creative to me. even though the original wasn't very good. It's still entertaining to watch as the rules change with almost every fight and how victory is pulled out of absurd gimmicks.
I believe the politically correct term is Intersex rather than Hermaphrodite. Not that it matters much here since the character is likely the result of weird Japanese choices at odds with the dub, rather than being a carefully crafted character. Some people might chew your face off for that, the same people who snarl at terms like "Lame."

Regarding Duelist Island as a slump. The dubs likely focused on the duels as to sell the card game to the west. After all there is alot of weird things going on in the show but winning a card game is generally pretty easy to follow. Think about it, this show has characters that have multiple personalities, mind control, a card game which makes no sense, dream sequences, and it starts in medias res. So it kinda makes sense why they don't focus on all the interesting side plots and things.

Yugi had lightforce sword which bought him enough time to to grind down lp; that and at that stage of the game there wasn't that much mill meta or rescue from the graveyard so once exodia was done the exodia deck was done. Thing is to play counterfeit cards though they hacked the system, but they also were targeting specific players and since it's a tournament that means playing against weaker opponents, and it's just win against them and not cheat and draw attention to themselves. And actually his deck was pretty much all pot of greed - he played like three copies (which did actually break the rules since kaiba introduced limited/forbidden cards to the game), but I suppose the VR tech was hardcoded to only recognize 3 of any card. I think Joey at one point made an illegal move and the system just locked him out of it.

The violence thing - one of the paradoxically cool things about yugioh, is that, compared to just about any other kind of shonen, the protagonists are never actually required to win through violence. The games fix everything - you can be the guy who wouldn't kill a fly and be a ygo protag (cough yugi, yuma cough) and yet not die horribly to the hollows/orochimaru/frieza/etc. I also want to apologize for being extremely rambly and incoherent at 5am last night

And the rules changing every game is kind of the gimmick of games like magic or yugioh, the special effects change the rules and that's the point.

Yubel was explicitly a hermaphrodite, not intersex. The series is mythologically smart; Yubel was like a reincarnated abomination and explicitly did the half and half thing. Almost every main character has Yuu in his/her name, and nearly every best friend has Jou in his name, for yuujou, for Japanese for friendship, and Yubel is Yu-devil. The Japanese names for the card are in bad German and translate to things like the Detestable Knight (based on their orignal incarnation) or the Extremely Sorrowful Dragon and it's all dicephalous and on purpose. The card is like this song in demon form https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeiWsyfySz4

And yep. The manga certainly didn't start in media res.

<tovakj> yes

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » December 6th, 2015, 9:23 am

Regarding Yubel, since I was in ignorance, I googled the character. Yeah your term was correct. I was incorrectly thinking that it would've been less of a "monster inspired by breast cancer survivors" and more of a really girly character who was actually a boy who was changed into something more vague due to bad dubbing.

Don't worry about the rambling. I tried to type out something about twice as long as the stuff I had there and accidentally lost it by blowing up my tab oops. Regarding the violence, I mean I don't mean to take jokes from the abridged series, but he does Yami does Mind-crush more than a few fools. details.
I just always found Yugioh really funny because the characters are super into their duels and are doing even less than what DBZ characters do in their fights.

Shonen's generally aren't big on their pacifists. Or if they are well they are only as pacifist as batman. Trigun did it pretty well though. Don't know if it's a good or bad thing that I never really bumped into Naruto, Bleach, or Inyuyasha.

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”