pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Crystal

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
pholtos

Re: pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Crystal

Postby pholtos » May 14th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Speedless wrote:... Your opponents do have limited PP in Crystal, right? Because that makes a Pokemon with only one 5 PP attacking move a little less dangerous, at least (especially once you get to a full party of six).

I never knew if it only had 5 pp. I kept getting lucky with paralysis. XD

A quick look on bulbapedia states that any gen beyond gen 1 would in fact keep track of enemy pp. So this ho-oh would have used 5 sacred fires then probably safeguard til the end of time.

bkamakaze

Postby bkamakaze » May 15th, 2015, 2:54 am

reimu is determined to stop you no matter what
even if it means coming back from the grave

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 15th, 2015, 4:25 am

All right guys I've run into a problem. I actually DID run into a basic no evolution pokemon. I still don't know whether to pass on it or go with it.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 15th, 2015, 5:01 am

I could write you a little script to figure it out

Code: Select all

use strict;
use warnings;
printf "\n";

my $a;

$a = int(rand(100));

if ( $a % 2 == 0 ) {
   print "\n Keep it!\n";
   } else {
   print "\nDon't keep it!!\n";
   };

END

you can perl, right?
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 15th, 2015, 5:14 am

Uhh....
Well I'll just ask this question. My five pokemon have a TBS of around 300. Would it hurt to have a basic pokemon that has a TBS of around 400?

and I haven't a clue how to use perl.

Like say the pokemon does or doesn't gain an evolution in a future gen, would it be ok to use it if it gains an evolution in a later gen and not to use it if it doesn't?

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 15th, 2015, 5:42 am

The joke is this is basically the code for tossing a coin

I'd go with it, but maybe have like a rule that you can't use it against non-legendaries or something?
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 15th, 2015, 6:46 am

I think I've decided. If at some point in later gens the pokemon gets an evolution, I will use it. If it's just a basic basic pokemon then I won't.

...Or maybe not. Geez is this bothering me.

Ok I'm flipping a coin, heads I go with my original rules, tails I got with what I listed here.

I got tails. Gonna go with what's here. Gonna modify the rules at the beginning.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 15th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Session 5, Part 2: Battle Bonanza Featuring Bugsy and Banana

So last time round we reached Azalea town and beat up a bunch of Zombies to rescue the slowpokes. Today we'll finish up in Azalea town.

So after taking down the plans of a criminal organization it's back to business as usual. In the main game, his typing, as the sign says, is the bug type. Naturally as this is a randomizer, it's probably not anymore.

Ah, I completely forgot to explain this. So besides the standard single trainer classes and names, there's a separate category for doubles types. (Although double battles weren't actually a thing til next gen.)

First pokemon is meta. Couple embers and he was down for the count.

Smokescreen get.

Skiploom... was really not a threat to Charmy. Also I see Amy & May were actually set in the message, so the new names they have make this whole fight more silly.

I... I'm sorry all right! I'm sorry I haven't come back to meet you yet! Please stop being so disgruntled, Gadget!

I... I think I made it worse! T_T

She will disgruntedly attack me with sunflowers. Oh dear the pollen will get everywhere.

She literally had a sunflower seed as a pokemon in her party, what are the chances? And even had a pokemon that fit the theme of bugs. Goodness.

Why is everyone in this place so disgruntled! D:

Ah blissey... the walking special defensive tank pokemon. Had to use a bit of cunning and defense drops to beat it out.

Eskimo Sauce? Would that be some kind of tartar sauce or something?

First poke up in the gym battle is croconaw. I'm fortunate that it only took two hits since this croc dealt some pain.

Speaking of dealing some pain, this Kadabra Alakazam :kappa: was a butt.

Finally we have magby, who takes the place of Scyther. I was fortunate this wasn't some ridiculous pokemon like a dragonite or something.

Standard spiel of gym leaders. Explanation of the badge and what it does, hands us a TM then explains said TM. In this case, Fury Cutter.

and in this instance, I found out that he would indeed remain Banana through the course of the game.

First pokemon was onix. Onix hates bubbles. Onix fainted in one hit.

This machop was a pain in the neck. It used focus energy and basically hit a critical every time it attacked from then on.

Slugma as the third pokemon didn't prove much of a challenge, knocked out in three sets of bubbles.

Well excuse you for losing to a guy who's playing by a ruleset that will probably run into issues someday due to them never evolving.

Seeing as we have done all we can in Azalea, here's the stats of the 5 members at this point in the story.

Til next time guys.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » May 15th, 2015, 11:29 pm

Help, my eyes have gone blue! Oh wait, they've always been that way.

Help, I'm blue!
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 16th, 2015, 3:00 am

I actually really like Misdreavus. I don't really know why, I think I just happened to enjoy using it in like Colosseum or something. Don't see it much

I haven't eaten a lot of Yupik food but as I remember it they like berry sauces; tartar sauce is creamy and milk is sort of a central asian, european, indian, and african thing. Which is a lot but not East Asia or any of the like 12 major food regions of the New World. Yupik food's actually based mostly on fish, animal fats, and berries, along with super salted salted and fermented things; there's even something called Eskimo ice cream which is fish or moose meat made into a slurry with snow, fat/blubber, and berries like the raspberry.

BTW decent summer meal that's not too weird - take chilled smoked salmon, frozen berries (especially raspberries, blackberries, or marion berries; the traditional ingredient is salmonberries which are their ancestor), break them up (like with your hands), mix, and eat them together. That's it.

Cold dinner for the heat, based on native food from the north and pacific. Their diet though was nutrition poor for most plant based things though - but celery, carrot, potato, rice etc are part of traditional diets now, and nowadays anything American or Western Canadanian is accessible. You might just want to go with a simple salad or maybe a bit of salsa with something light to eat with it. I think a dark tea goes with it as far as beverages go, but something fermented wouldn't be out of place.

(also I don't really know how to express appreciation for the Kappa so I'm saying it)

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 16th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Session 6, Part 1: Ilex Forest

(Titles are sometimes hard to come up with, so have that.)

In the last bit we got the 2nd badge and fought our rival, the dreaded Banana. Today we'll be taking a trip through a forest.

You know... I always start with a picture that's basically the same as the ending picture of the last part, and I don't know why I do that. Maybe it just is a good bridge gapper between parts.

This guy gives some good info for what we're doing today. The logic still confounds me though, if it's such a skinny tree, why can't we just... I dunno... shimmy around it?

"Big" (It isn't really that big. It felt smaller than the viridian forest.)

Employee A over here loses a Farfetch'd that's sorta necessary to actually do the work that is required of him, and then refuses to go after it. He also calls this forest big, but I dunno man, this place isn't really that large.

I feel some appropriate music should go with this part.

I'm gonna go on the assumption the Employee A got lucky and the bird got back just before his boss did.

Oh... Poor Employee A... or maybe he'll soon be Unemployee A. Anyway we get the HM Cut from the dude here so we can finally [not shimmy] cut down trees to get past them.

Only two in the team could learn it so I gave it to Bells. In terms of versatility of movesets, Charmy has the greater so I want to leave as many non HM spots open as possible for him.

Probably the greatest change over the previous Gen came right here. In the first gen, if you came across a tree you needed to cut, you'd have to open the menu, go to pokemon, select the pokemon with cut, then choose to use cut. In this gen and onwards, you just hit A on the tree and then choose yes and boom, cut. Way easier.

So there's this shrine here, and something about a forest protector. I'll get into this more near the end.

Here would be where they sort of explain that some items can be invisible, but sort of not.

In all honesty if I had like... decided to catch every pokemon on a route or something as a challenge and just go with those, this would be a pretty good assortment. My goodness.

Items get.

Here I get a TM that I'll probably never use, or maybe I will. Basically the move headbutt has the ability to shake these pine tree looking type trees, and there's a chance that pokemon will fall out. It was the only way to get pinecos for instance in the normal game.

I can't blame Kodama for being disgruntled, I did sneak up on her and cause her to lose a pokemon she was looking to get. Sorry?
So a quick wikipedia search reveals that a Kodama is a spirit that lives in a tree. How appropriate a situation is this?

Kodama... do you have short term memory or something? Your first pokemon was a bellsprout! Then, at the end when I win, you look at my bellsprout and say you've never seen it before? Are you ok?

and that's Ilex forest. As I said it didn't really feel that big... and it's a fairly straightforward path. Dunno how I'd get lost.

All right, so to explain this fully. They are trying to get you to figure out that if you go here with some sort of item or event, you'll find a rare grass pokemon. Now to get this out of the way right now, that would be Celebi. HOWEVER, the non-Japanese versions of the game had NO WAY to acquire this pokemon. Why? Because you would need to use the "Pokémon Mobile System GB" which was only available in Japan. By using this, you could get a GS ball, which you'd then take to the shrine and then Celebi would show up. But no. You can't do that in this version.

Woman on the right gives us another TM, this time sweet scent. Useful for training and the like, but beyond that and dropping the opponents evasiveness, not really worth the trouble of giving to someone.

That's going to be all for this part. Til next time when we finish up our trip to the next town.
Last edited by pholtos on May 17th, 2015, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » May 17th, 2015, 1:16 am

The audio tag isn't playing for me for some reason. Getting the url and pasting it into a new tab just gives me a blank page too.
💙💙💙

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 17th, 2015, 1:18 am

Alice wrote:The audio tag isn't playing for me for some reason. Getting the url and pasting it into a new tab just gives me a blank page too.

I believe I've fixed it.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » May 17th, 2015, 1:22 am

Yup, works for me now. And that's a very fitting track for that part of the game, lol.
💙💙💙

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 17th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Session 6, Part 2: The Final Team Member

Welcome back. So last time we made it through Ilex forest. Today we'll deal with the route before Goldenrod city.

So here we are on route 34. Seeing as this is a new route, we've got our last member to find. Let's see...

Nope. That won't do.

Oh yes. Definitely. Suicune. Yep.

So here's where the internal struggle happened. Sneasel. In this gen, it's a non evolving pokemon. However, it actually gets an evolution in a couple gens. So I had to decide whether or not to use it. For the time being I caught it.

I had trouble naming this sneasel, and eventually, like bells, went with a shortened name.

Not now Gadget.

Here's the other wild pokemon of note. This route had some crazy strong pokes (not meaning levels here.).

If you noticed, it's suddenly day. See the thing was I actually stopped to think about whether to use Nease or not. In the end, I flipped a coin. Heads I stick with my original ruleset of only using basic pokemon that can evolve, or tails. Tails would mean that I would modify my ruleset to allow pokemon that gain an evolution in later gens, in which case I would use it's basic form. Tails popped up so Nease will be staying with us the rest of the game.

Here's the stats of said Nease.

This may seem a bit pointless but at the same time it feels like Nease would get lonely without a rock buddy.

I found this sign hilarious even though it's just an explanation of the route. Ilex forest is "Somewhere between".

Oh dear now Marcellus is also following me around.

I really do appreciate getting to fight these max evolutions so early on such that their movesets are limited. Although, the only other moves it gets are Agility, Twister and Hydro Pump. It wasn't until like gen 4 that the pokemon had a lot of moves they learned.

The daycare is on this route. It's a place you can go and give one or two pokemon and they'll raise them for you. The more steps you walk after giving them the pokemon, the more exp they get. There's also a chance for eggs, but it's really not important for this run so I'll just ignore it. If you go in and talk to them I believe they give you an egg, but I didn't really care to do so.

Just like with the others, I began by doing some switch training to bring Nease up to the levels of the rest. Actually, I should probably mention this. In a team of a grass/poison, two waters and two fires, a dark/ice type is actually a really good thing to have. Two extra typings will make some of these fights a lot easier to deal with.

It's the return of River. River wants in the spotlight as much as possible since I'm going to get rid of River after this adventure.

First two pokemon, Nease leers at them and then they faint. He's just that good.

Of course, a legendary. I should just always expect a legendary to pop up.

Confusion and parahax kept this bird under control.

Uh oh... a bear! Ok... play dead and hope the bear doesn't suck my blood.

Ah... the classic battle of leer vs defense curl/harden. Love those.

Layton is back on the attack. I swear these people are following me.

A passing "stranger"? Hello! Didn't we fight on like the first couple routes of the game? Are you just trying to confuse me? Am I actually in a reality show of some sort where there's a standard cast of like 20 people that take the form of a bunch of different trainers as I go through the routes? What is going on here.

With that, that's going to be all for this session. Til next time, when we explore this giant city of Goldenrod.

metasomnia

Postby metasomnia » May 17th, 2015, 9:22 pm

This is late but
pholtos wrote:First pokemon is meta. Couple embers and he was down for the count.

RUDE
Have a literal signature:

sedron

Postby sedron » May 17th, 2015, 11:23 pm

OH MAN YOU GOT SNEASEL! =D

I'm pleasantly surprised that you got a Sneasel. Just a heads up, though. Sneasel has a huge problem with its typing Gen 2 and 3. Dark and Ice moves are both Special, and Sneasel's base SpA is a whopping 35 (on par with such fearsome Pokemon as Pidgey, for reference.) It's Attack is WAY higher, and you'll probably find stuff like Slash outdamaging your Ice and Dark moves on a regular basis. =/

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 18th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Gonna have to halt updates til I can get this text sorted out.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 19th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Session 7, Part 1: Exploring Goldenrod

Welcome back. In the last episode we got our final team member, Nease the Sneasel. Today we'll be exploring probably the biggest city in this game in Goldenrod.

One of the big features of this city is the radio tower. Another is directly to our right.

The gigantic pokemart. Or whatever it's called. Anyway, this place has a lot of different items, from the X items, to stones, to basic potions and pokeballs. I went and got ice and fire punch for Charmy and Nease. This at least gives Nease one ice move for the time being.

This city also holds a game corner, a place where, if you have a coin case, you can go in, get coins and play slots and a game called card flip. Each gen besides gen 1 had two different types of games in these game corners, one slots and one unique to each generation of games. I wasn't too interested in actually doing anything here so I won't bother. Once you get coins, you can trade them for some TMs or Pokemon. In the case of Crystal, the TMs are Thunder, Fire Blast and Blizzard. The Pokemon are Abra, Cubone and Wobbuffet.

To the left of the game corner there's this house which holds Bill's family. His brother was nice enough to give us his phone number.

Welcome to the underground. A place with a handful of trainers and some day and time specific people.

Potato... you're following me again. Stop that.

Three hits, two pokemon down. Fairly simple fight.

Oh dear, it's an old man!

With a lone ledian. Well, he tried I guess. Two embers and down it goes.

Here's the two that were around when I went down. One of them sold healing items that are bitter, and as such decrease the happiness of your pokemon when used. The other gives haircuts to pokemon, and as the better of the two haircut brothers, this one increases happiness more than the other. I guess I'll go ahead and explain happiness. Happiness is another new mechanic of this gen. Happiness is an ever changing stat. As you walk around, level and give things like haircuts to your pokemon, their happiness increases. Causing them to faint and giving them bitter things decreases their happiness. Happiness effects a select few moves, return and frustration (there may be others), as well as impacts some evolutions. There are certain pokemon that only evolve if they level up at max happiness.

Judy is back for more.

and she's bringing the pain. It's mew again.

Second pokemon was politoed. Now this politoed was a butt. After hitting it once with vine whip, it put me to sleep. Then proceeded to doubleslap bells while bells decided to sleep for the maximum number of turns sleep can effect you. It was rather silly.

Wait... seriously? You already had mew in your party! What more could you want! Honestly running into two legendaries in one battle was not something expected to see.

Barely beat it with a Horsea 5 levels higher than it. Course having only bubble sort of makes things difficult for me. Charmy took care of the last pokemon no problem, one shot.

How suspicious.

Run! It's a living pineapple! NOoOoOoOoOo~!

CHARMY PAUNCH! (Eh couldn't think of anything else for this one.)

Thank you for the post warning, kid.

Going through the underground basically takes you to the upper left of goldenrod, where I was in the bottom left prior.

The name rater was directly to our right, useful if you want to rename one of your pokes but I think I'm content with my names.

This guy may be on to something.

All right, time to deal with this place, the radio tower. It's a pretty big place in a pretty big city.

Radio Card get.

I now present the most annoying gimmick in pokemon, the lottery. Does your randomly assigned trainer ID match any of our randomly picked ID number? Probably not. The chances of actually winning this thing without trading with anyone else in the real world is slim to none. I believe the top prize is a master ball.

Here's a little gimmick I probably won't be doing. If you listen in to this channel on the radio and come in and say the password, you get a point. Get enough points and you can buy prizes.
For 2 points you can get an ultra ball or full restore, for 3 you can get a nugget or rare candy, for 5 you can get a protein, iron, carbos, calcium or hp up.
Oh and here's a little something I never knew til I looked up those prizes. If you get to 30 points, apparently you can get Buena phone number.

HOW SUSPICIOUS.

Moving on to the right side of town (sans going to the mart) in the middle area you have this dude looking for the bike shop. Can't blame him in a town this large, I'd say it's the owner of the bike shops fault. I mean look at where he has his shop, way out of the way over here. Although, if that tiny 2x2 house to the left wasn't there it'd be easy for people to find it.

I'm glad this was changed from gen 1. In gen 1 you had to go on a quest to even get a bike. In this one it's just walk in and they give you one. So now I'm a riding advertisement. I guess that's all right with me.

Gonna have that on my select button. With key items you can set one item to be your select button for easy use.

Oak the Omnipotent name forgetter and gender confuser won't let us ride indoors.

I figured why not just have a simple picture of me on the bike sideways so here.

All right, final area of goldenrod. In the top right we find this flower shop. Seems this woman's little sis is going to see a wiggly tree. (Remember the one way back in the violet to azalea session?) Seems we're getting close to running into that tree again.

Finally, the gym. Since this was such a huge town, we'll be tackling the gym next time. Til then everyone.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 20th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Session 7, Part 2: The Gym That Sails the Seven Seas

Welcome back. Last time we wandered around goldenrod, fought some dudes and got a bike. Today we'll be taking on the 3rd Gym.

and we start by having to fight pirate batman. Oh. My. Word.

I'm in trouble now.

Batman's first pokemon tried to poison me. Thankfully it didn't work this time.

Raichu proved to be too much for my Chinchy to handle on his own, so I brought in Bells and hardly got hurt.

Out of the three powder type moves, I prefer poisonpowder.

I think I had this exact fight earlier in the game. This time I am unfortunately slower than the goldeen, so it was my turn to lose due to speed. Nease easily took out the rest of goldeen's health and got screech out of the battle. 2 dropper in defense is pretty good.

Now I'm fighting literal money. (I think this is another name I'll be taking out, although it works in this context.)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

With the combined might of three pokemon and the fact that sacred fire only has 5 pp, I won. I figured I'd label exactly where sacred fire's were used give or take so you get an idea of when ho-oh was completely powerless. Ho-oh only learns moves every 11 levels. 11, 22, 33... and so on til 99. Therefore, it only knew sacred fire and safeguard, fortunately for me.

Gligar balanced out the trainer, one hit one knock out punch. I think this money is a bit delirious... unless they somehow think a gligar or a ho-oh is a meowth. Or maybe that's their nickname for the gligar since I sort of just destroyed it in a turn.

ITS A ME!

NOT VERY STRONG-EO!

Sakuya returns for more.

Pokemon one was a haunter who likes putting you to sleep then licking you. Creepy.

Poor, poor smeargle. All it knew was sketch, which it used earlier than me due to speed, leading to it failing. Thus it lost it's 1 pp that sketch gets and as such proceeded to struggle the rest of the fight.

Gyarados is still a butt. Thrash is annoying but at least it confuses the user afterwards... and man did she hurt herself in confusion.

Uh oh... it's lawrence the eskimo butler.

Ok. Ok I can deal with this.

Ah Nease, oh how your typing made me smile during this fight. Mewtwo's only offensive move was confusion, and psychic does not effect dark types. At all. So all I did was have him slowly whittle down mewtwo's hp until it finally went down. Sheesh. I'm trying to imagine what would have happened if I DIDN'T have Nease. I might have been walled here.

Sentret felt like nothing after that fight.

Lawrence/Whitney the crybaby cried after losing. Also, that isn't an picture error, she literally says Waaaaah! twice.

I gotta say... the TMs so far from gym leaders have been... not very useful. At least I've used mud slap a couple times but that's it really.

Have the full teams stats after three gyms. This will be the team I take all the way to the end, and man is it gonna be a journey.

Til next time everyone.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 20th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Somewhere between the manga and the games themselves I always kind of assumed the Gym Leaders were something of a mayor like position, coregnant with actual mayors (making Clay a travesty of corrupt, consolidated power like every good Texan politician). This fanon can work because it usually it's A) a small town (so choice pool is low enough they could empower someone like Flannery); even assuming places are bigger than in game most towns wouldn't be bigger than a hundred people or so, B) usually there's a elder or someone working alongside to supervise, and C) not everyone is actually a pokémon trainer, and you need someone who can fight to provide defense.

In real life I imagine the situation would be like generalissimo sharing nominal power with a president and prime minister (scaling down to chief of police, mayor and assembly leader sharing equal power) but all I see is juntas and corrupt prison systems. Maybe that's why the places are run by 4 person shogunates still (4 people ruling/wrecking everything is a buddhist motif and has historically been used to describe situations in both Japan and China)

In any case, Whitney is absolutely mind-boggling. Every other gym leader can be interpreted like this - Whitney just

urngh

She doesn't even make sense at a surface level, like, ignoring everything weird and speculative.

What idiot promoted her? Maybe she rigged an election? I mean what the hell

<tovakj> yes

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » May 21st, 2015, 3:42 am

So in the Pokemon universe both Batman and Mario are either crossdressers or transgender?
💙💙💙

metasomnia

Postby metasomnia » May 21st, 2015, 3:57 am

Sudden Mewtwo

Bet you're REALLY glad you kept that Nease instead of opting for another poke

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 22nd, 2015, 4:20 am

Actually gonna ask this. Any of you have any suggestions for additional names? Classes? If so go ahead and PM me a list of em. Especially names. I need a lot more names. Gonna need some more variety for the next game.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 22nd, 2015, 4:18 pm

Session 8, Part 1: The Terror of Clefable

Welcome back. Last time we got the Plain Badge from Whitney. Today we'll be traveling to our next destination, Ek...ec...ah whatever the name isn't important really.

Nope. Sorry not helping you.

What is it a whomping willow?

Welcome to Route 35, the Route of useful signs.

Welcome to Route 35, the Route of Old Men in 0dd clothes(?).

Well it's hard to win 6 on 1 anyway. This is actually sort of interesting, not many trainers or anything have 6 pokemon. Most have maybe 4 at the most. Typically they'll only have 1 or 2. It's a litle mindboggling how few and I can't remember if this changes as the game progresses.

A Mythical Painter has arrived.

Pokemon one was a ledian. I'm still a little worried about this horsea. It's only attacking move is still bubble. Bubble isn't that strong. Thankfully it'll gain water gun at level 22, so there's that.

Clefable is a scary scary pokemon in this setup. It's primary attack will be metronome. It also has sing and moonlight to back it up. Beyond that it's fairly bulky. It took 3 of my pokemon out BY ITSELF! I think I'm gonna need to look into teaching one of my peeps a fighting move to deal with normal types in the future.

Well your boyfriend took out half my team, let's see how you do.

Well... you almost took out one. Good try.

Well ok... I guess how they thought to do it was if there were more than 2 they are a couple levels lower. Which really doesn't help my cause. Come on man.

So do fire breather dudes just... carry around oil or something?

Chinchy could have easily swept this team but level 2 Charmeleon.

Man these signs are useful.

So I happen to play on one of the three days that the bug-catching contest was going on so I went ahead and competed.

Welcome to national park, a park with a square of relaxation. It's world famous or something.

My thought process was "just catch the first thing that shows up" and thus I did.

This sign confuses me. "What is this notice?" is just on the sign? Huh?

Wandering around the fence to get some items. I believe TM28 is dig.

aaand somehow I won. So going around to look up some info I came across the judging criteria.

4 times the max HP of the Pokémon
The stats of the Pokémon
16 points if the Defense IV is odd, 0 otherwise
8 points if the Attack IV is odd, 0 otherwise
4 points if the Special IV is odd, 0 otherwise
1 point if the Speed IV is odd, 0 otherwise
1/8 of the current HP of the Pokémon, rounded down
1 point if the Pokémon is holding an item, 0 otherwise

Also, the prizes are as follows: Consolation prize is a Berry, 3rd place is a Gold Berry, 2nd place is an Everstone, and 1st place is a Sun Stone. If I had played through legit I would have to spend a while here just aiming for everstones. It'd take two weeks to get 6, and that's only if I got 2nd.

That's going to be all for this episode. Til next time, when we finish up the journey to the next City. Til then.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 23rd, 2015, 2:26 am

All right I've added a lot more potential names to my trainer names and got rid of some that didn't make sense. 92 potential names, and only 9 of those are touhou related now. I'm hoping that fixes it for next time around. (Actually I could rerandomize everyones trainer names if you guys wanted, without messing with anything else)

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 23rd, 2015, 3:18 am

pholtos wrote:All right I've added a lot more potential names to my trainer names and got rid of some that didn't make sense. 92 potential names, and only 9 of those are touhou related now. I'm hoping that fixes it for next time around. (Actually I could rerandomize everyones trainer names if you guys wanted, without messing with anything else)

That may work. Make sure to backup and import the save - the changes could change the rom name at levels that aren't obvious.

Also was name part of the original list? I think I requested it be added, idk

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 23rd, 2015, 3:29 am

Went ahead and rerandomized the names. Looks like it worked.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 23rd, 2015, 3:47 am

pholtos wrote:Went ahead and rerandomized the names. Looks like it worked.

Sounds good! Looking forward to future episodes

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 23rd, 2015, 6:10 pm

Session 8, Part 2: Farewell, Old Names.

(This will be the last part with the old names. Next session will feature a lot more variety, hopefully.)

So last time we made it to Route 36 on our way to the next City.

Ice Berry Get. If it isn't apparent by the name this is a berry that heals the freeze condition.

Ahhh... now I know why River was in the list. At least it's true purpose gets shown before it never shows up again.

I'm going to feel sorry for a trainer every time a Ditto shows up in their party. It's very easy to counter a ditto with this party of mine.

Heading down on Route 36 connects us to Route 35.

It's actually more surprising to me if a pokemon trainer actually has the pokemon type they're suppose to have. I think he has a yanma in the real game.

Dang it Gadget. I'm gonna miss you.

... No comment.

This felt like fighting someone going by the same rules I was... and getting destroyed because I'm around 6 levels higher.

TM 04 get. I believe this one is attract. Not gonna use this one either.

Tova... what are you doing here. You're a lot younger than I expected.

Bubbles for days!

In gold and silver I don't think this event was here. I think in those games you just talk to the lady in the flower shop and she gives you the thing, but in this game you have to go and talk to this person, return to goldenrod, get the thing then come back. Or... I'm completely wrong and every game this gen has this.

On my way back the bike shop called, nice of em to let me keep the bike. :3

Quick Claw get. It's a hold item so it won't be used. Ah well.

So basically if you did all this before beating Whitney, you would not be able to progress. This game is pretty good at preventing you from progressing without beating the gym leader of the town.

So next we're gonna take on the park. But before that there's two things I kept forgetting to show. First, this is what the goldenrod city gym looks like:

Clefairy :3

Now here is what the park looks like:

Pokeball :3

I always found it interesting they did this. Also, they're the only places in the game (I believe) that are of the shape of something.

So next we're facing a bear... or is it a man? A bear man?

Meganium is looking at us smugly. I don't like it.

Excuse you? You're just a Baka. A Baka stuck in a gen 2 game when there are 6 gens currently. I doubt you know more than me.

A baka with a tank and a changed color Jynx.

I wonder what's on the Bear Planet...

Volcanic Snails... Volcanic Snails are on the Bear Planet.

Not letting em faint due to poison anymore.

H-Hero Sauce? Is that some sort of brand name they sell in worlds with Heroes?

CLEFABLE... Got messed with by confusion. :3
Magnemite stood no chance.

I dunno what these guys were talking about, that doesn't look like a tree.

I decided to just not fight this thing and let it leave. I wish I had gotten this as a screenshot, the tree literally bounced it's way north, over the trees and everything.

Last route for this session.

We have a fake doubles battle incoming.

Poor swinub. Down in almost one hit.

CLEFABLE! Oy. So many clefables between these two cities.

I will stop me! You will not def- Wait... I'm confused. Well apparently I came back from the future or something because I'm suddenly old.

I... think this guy actually had a Hypno in the real game... or was it a Drowsee. Well it was something like that. Man it was surprisingly tanky. Or maybe it just has high special defense. Dunno.

After reading one last useful sign we reach that city I could never remember how to spell, Ecruteak City.

Dang it Bill I'm trying to end a session here. Anyway he opens up a feature that allow you to trade with pokemon from red,blue/green and yellow. Naturally trading something that has a move that didn't exist or a pokemon that doesn't exist would just confuse the previous gen so naturally that isn't allowed. It's a useless feature for me though.

With that we'll call it a day. Til next time guys, we'll explore ec...ek...Ecruteak City.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 25th, 2015, 4:09 pm

Session 9, Part 1: Of Dancing and Legends

I'm going to be working with a bit of a different style of editing again this time. I didn't separate the starting bit of a trainer battle into it's own thing this time round. Let me know what you think.

Welcome back. In the last episode we reached Ecruteak City, a city I have a terrible time trying to spell. Today we'll wander around and see what's up.

So between this part and last I rerandomized the trainer names. Sadly inspector gadget is no longer in our contacts so... I got rid of it. Bye bye inspector gadget...

I hadn't actually shown this off before but here's the radio. Currently there's four channels on the radio. Oak's PKMN Talk is a radio show which gives some random facts about a pokemon and it's location in the game. Pokemon music plays different music dependent on the day of the week. Lucky Channel gives out the days lottery number so you don't have to check in goldenrod every day. Buena's Password was explained in a previous episode. Listen in and get the password then go talk to Buena.

Seems the DANCE THEATER is a big hit around Ecruteak, so let's start out there.

There's an old man here who is willing to give us a thing if we beat some trainers in battle. All righty then, should be simple enough.

Here I thought randomizing the names would make touhous appear less often, but I digress. A Lone Meowth says hello, and doesn't even hurt us before going down. Alas. In the real game, these 5 trainers have the 5 eevee evolutions: Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, Espeon and Umbreon. So naturally each one will only have one pokemon in these battles.

That goldeen was dangerous but I can't recall why. Although it did seem to do quite a bit of damage even though it went down quickly after switching to Vulpy.

Up next we have the worlds smartest Gastly. Also, I got to see a pretty neat text glitch due to having too long a trainer name plus too long a class name.

Our friend the Mercury Adept has come to fight us himself. Poor soul never stood a chance, he doesn't know how to pokemon.

Oh neat it's Todoroki as a Preschooler? I guess this is pretty close to a proper picture.

I unfortunately lost a confusion hex battle this time. Ah well. One quick attack later and done.

With all five down I go and collect my prize from the man. Turns out he's the one with the Surf HM, let's see who to teach this to...

Naturally Nease should get this. I mean wasn't it obvious? But really to explain my reasoning, there are two more Water HMs left to acquire and I'd like to try to spread out these HMs as much as possible. So this way everyone will only be burdened with 1 hm, as there are 7. (I probably won't use flash.)

This guy is a fanatic of treasure hunting. Course I don't mind, you gotta have a passion for what you love. Itemfinder get.

I guess next up we'll face off against Morty at the gym.

Or... not. Rude.

Here's a few tidbits of information, probably will come in to play a bit later on.

Interesting description you got here, city. I'm trying to imagine a place where past meets present, it'd be some sort of retro style restaurant or something.

Seems these two towers were the main source of interest with this town. Unfortunately, Mr. Baldy won't let me pass.

So I guess all that's left is this burned tower.

That does look pretty short.

Inside we meet a Crystal only character named Eusine. Uhh... Eusine. Suicune's on route 34. Just go there.

Oh HERE'S where you are, Morty! Can I have my badge now?

Oh boy look who it is.

Wild pokes of the tower.

So here's how the itemfinder works in this game. If an item can be found on the screen you currently are on, it will beep. If not it won't. That's about it.

Oh yes, blame me for you not finding anything in a burned down tower. A tower in which I had nothing to do with and just arrived myself at. Yes, I get your logic, completely.

MMMM the para-hax. Flail is a great move with close to no hp.

I'm glad to have Nease to deal with dragon types that pop up... even though in reality it's still only the dratini line. (Eh and Kingdra)

Heracross is a beast who dealt so much damage I only won because I was faster.

Final pokemon is a tyrogue which... really didn't hurt me very much. I love how it feels like he's talking about himself, or that I'm talking here. Dude. You lost to a guy not evolving again.

I actually think he has a point here. What AM I doing falling into a hole here? How rude of me, I left instead of my rival like what normally is the case. I actually think this is the only time in any game that you actually leave instead of your rival. (Although I could be wrong.)

We're dropped into this basement area which apparently was never found up til now, which is a surprise given all the holes up on the previous level. So we wake up some dudes who were statues and they run off.

As a result, Eusine comes and monologues at us. Oh joy.

Now the one thing I had an issue with was a lack of a pokemon that will be able to learn fly. I happened to run into a Noctowl here in this area so I got it...

and named it appropriately. That's going to be all for this episode. Next time, the Gym. See ya!

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 25th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Oh man, Tyranitar... I was expecting sandstorms in weird places before I realized how stupid that was

<tovakj> yes

bkamakaze

Postby bkamakaze » May 26th, 2015, 8:39 am

chens only pokemon is a cat
yep

metasomnia

Postby metasomnia » May 26th, 2015, 12:46 pm

pholtos wrote:Bye bye inspector gadget...

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 26th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Session 9, Part 2: The Toughest Battle Yet

Last time we finished exploring Ecruteak and so today we'll be finishing up with the gym.

I gotta say, the game sorta says hello here. I think this is the first 5 pokemon trainer we've had to face, or maybe I'm completely wrong there. Anyway the more pokemon in a battle the tougher it could potentially be. We face off first against sudowoodo who decides to throw rocks at me. Rude.

Next up is this persian who somehow didn't KO me and so I flailed it to death. Flail is pretty amazing.

Ah yes of course, a legendary.

This battle could have taken forever if the AI kept using Recover. Thankfully it only used it once.

Charmander proves to be fairly simple for my horsea.

Oooooof course you have another legendary.

Poor horsea got screwed by crit RNG. T_T There's going to be a couple missing pictures here and there, I forgot to snap a pick of their losing message.

So here's the gimmick of this gym. There are invisible platforms and if you step off the platform then you get sent back to the beginning of the room. The platforms form a zig zag pattern where the trainers are.

Unown <3

Second pokemon went down in two ice punches. I'm unsure what move the Pidgeot used but it didn't hurt so it probably didn't matter.

I was fortunate to KO this Scyther right after it used Focus Energy otherwise I might've had problems.

Mystery trainer starts us off with a tentacool. I didn't really have anything to counter it so I went with my best pokemon to face a water/poison type.

Ah there we go, it's Layton back for more. second pokemon wasn't much of a threat for Vulpy here.

Well. How unfortunate for Layton. Somehow he got two Bulbasaurs.

Over in two turns. :3

This one's gonna be a rough ride, have some music.

Satou starts out with a Nidoran. I decided to do this battle a bit differently. Each pokemon of both side will get their own picture, until either side switches or faints. This is I think the first time I've been at a disadvantage level wise.

My plan was to hopefully use bells with max sp. attack to take out as many as it could. So I used growth a bunch then beat Nidoran.

Unfortunately, I'm a stubborn idiot and kept Bells in for this fight. Down in one hit.

CRIT RNG!!!!! WHYYYYYYYY~! (Chinchy actually fainted I just missed taking a picture.)

Now I dunno if I was half paying attention or what but I forgot that ice punch, not surf, was in slot 1. I accidentally Ice punched a fire type. Yeah. I'm good at this.

Horsea comes in to finish off the second of four. It's now 3 on 2.

He actually had a Haunter. Typically he'd have a gastly, two haunters and a gengar. Haunter helped out my cause by halving his own hp. Kinda glad he did that. I honestly didn't expect a switch here.

Wigglybuff comes in and takes a fire punch no problem. Decided to switch due to being effected by the curse still.

Sing plus doubleslap equals painful times.

Wigglytuff ends up I think hurting itself in confusion more than I ever could. Then KOs another one. Does that look like the face of mercy to you? At this point all I have left it Charmy.

Fortunately Wigglybuff didn't attack me, and instead used defense curl. Thank you AI.

PHEW. Night shade does whatever your level is so thankfully I survived one hit. It's fortunate it turned out that way, as the haunter was faster than me. I barely won this.

For my troubles I can now use surf and gain a ghost tm, shadow ball. Since I'd like to try to get as much type coverage as possible I gave it to Nease. Since it's a physical attack I figure it'll work pretty well for her.

That was by far the toughest fight I've had so far. It makes me worry slightly for the future.

Stats after four badges. We're about half way there to the Elite Four. Gonna be a rough ride.

Til next time everyone.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 29th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Session 10: Left or Right

So last time we beat Morty in our toughest battle yet. Today I get to decide which way to go. The truth is at this point you can either go right or left. Left takes you towards Olivine and Right takes you toward Mahogany.

I choose Mahogany.

Ultra Ball get.

Gonna go on a little detour here and go through Mount Mortar.

Here's the various wild pokemon you can find in the Mountain.

Items get.

Most of the paths in this place are blocked by objects that I cannot cross, for instance this boulder here.

Uh oh... they're becoming self aware! D: Layton, no please. I understand I've beaten you in the past but please, don't break the fourth wall!

Curse you pursuit! Blargh.

Once dodrio went down the rest was fairly simple.

Detour completed. We're literally 15 or so steps to the right of the entrance.

I was the unfortunate victim of getting confuse hax'd by confusion and then hitting myself. Otherwise I would have won with Vulpy. Nease easily took care of the rest.

It sort of freaks me out that a level 16 could almost defeat my Bells even with a type and level advantage. Once again, I worry for the future. Meanwhile thanks to the randomization effect this guys ending statement makes no sense whatsoever.

We're here! ... To go heal.

Apparently this is where Ninjas live but I haven't seen one ye- Wait a minute...

Returning to the previous route I one hit KO a rhyhorn with the all mighty bubble attack.

Then defeat ninetales with the all might bubble attack.

FINALLY!

Horsea sweep~

Last trainer on the route.

Had a rather annoying Encore Shuckle that loved to use wrap.

Back in Mahogany, if you attempt to go beyond Mahogany this guy stops you. Then yells an advertisement in your face. How nice.

Main talk of this town seems to be about the gyarados rampage at the lake. Guess we should check that out.

Hmm... this place doesn't seem suspicious. Especially not with the odd music in this place... which I can't remember and so can't post. Sorry bout that. :tundecided:

Let's head on up to the Lake now.

Nano switched from attempting to be an ordinary high school student to a pokemon trainer. Can't blame her. First pokemon went down in one shot, poor thing.

Sunflora didn't fair much better.

Aerodactyl caused a bit of trouble but eventually went down.

These jerks in all black went and took 1000 of my monies without me being about to object. That's stealing you know.

Max Ether get.

Every time I see the "Some Banana guy" it makes me laugh for some reason.

I should really try to focus more on type advantages from now on, as it's going to get tougher. Of course this is me in hindsight but I digress.

Potato returns to try to take me down again.

Having a pain in the neck porygon. Just a note, that one ice punch didn't KO the pokemon. I forgot to take a pic of how much it did.

Well here we are, the lake of rage.

Seems this lake has a history to it. It's always nice to see bits of history here and there.

It makes sense the thing people notice in a lake is a rampaging gyarados of a different color. That thing'd stick out like a sore thumb.

Why isn't it just called "Gyarados lake" then? Also, Max Potion get.

Wilds on the water.

Ooh~ Shiny Meganium~ Let's faint it. :3

Let's see... Hello lance, nice to meet you. If you call continually fire punching a meganium standing on the water until it faints considerable skill then thanks? Sure I'll help you investigate. All right I'll meet you in Mahogany. Wow you just flew straight up into the air (Didn't manage to catch that via screenshot).

Til next time everyone, when we investigate the going ons in Mahogany.

metasomnia

Postby metasomnia » June 3rd, 2015, 1:43 pm

Considering how many (literally hundreds per session) screenshots you put out every session, how many do you think there will be at the end of this let's play?

pholtos

Postby pholtos » June 3rd, 2015, 4:27 pm

Too many to count.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » June 3rd, 2015, 5:34 pm

Took me a few days to get to these, but

It's a darn good thing this isn't a nuzlocke because you would be doomed my friend

and omg I want that shiny meganium ;_;

<tovakj> yes

Speedless

Postby Speedless » June 9th, 2015, 6:41 pm

I had no idea you could do the Lake of Rage scenario before dealing with all that stuff west of Ecruteak. I guess there's no real reason that those events would be connected... Still, pretty neat to see! What I'll be really curious to know is what's going to happen once you're done investigating the goings-on in Mahogany, considering what that normally unlocks.

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”