pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Crystal

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
pholtos

pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Crystal

Postby pholtos » April 28th, 2015, 5:45 am

So I decided to do my own little text type lp adventures type idea thing, and decided to do a pokemon game like tova, using my own style of rules. I thought I'd start with gen 1 but gen 1 doesn't have everstones. So I'll start with gen 2 instead.

So here are my rules:
-Randomized wild pokes and trainers pokes.
-First 6 routes, first pokemon on that route I find that evolves and is in it's basic form I use, even if said pokemon does not have an evolution until a later gen (unless there aren't any then I move on. The starter will just be a placeholder til I can catch pokemon). All 6 will hold everstones. (Exceptions would be pokes that can't learn 4 moves by level up, as I'm not one to use tms that often and the vast majority can't even learn from tms.)
-I then must go through the whole game using only those 6. I'll probably also try my best to not become overleveled.
-I may catch a poke or two depending on hm needs if necessary.

I will also be randomizing the trainer classes and names for some silly results. If any of you guys would like to be added as a potential trainer name just let me know. It'll be a bit before I actually begin.

Table of Contents:
1: Overloading Via Tutorial
2-1: More Talking Edition
2-2: The Beginning of a Journey in Hilarity
3-1: Attack of the Water Pokemon
3-2: Violet City Gym
4-1: Of Electabuzz and Repeated Names
4-2: Attack of the Touhous
5-1: Night of the Living Rockets
5-2: Battle Bonanza Featuring Bugsy and Banana
6-1: Ilex Forest
6-2: The Final Team Member
7-1: Exploring Goldenrod
7-2: The Gym That Sails The Seven Seas
8-1: The Terror of Clefable
8-2: Farewell, Old Names
9-1: Of Dancing and Legends
9-2: The Toughest Battle Yet
10: Left or Right
11-1: Password Hunt
11-2: Shutting Down The Hideout
11-3: Slippin' and Slidin'
12: Tova Attacks
13: Olivine Time
14: Ball of Death
15: Double Dose of Gym Battle
16: Radio Tower Climb
17: Rocket Removal
18: Tinterlude Tower
19: Stop Motion Theatre
20: You're Dragon Me Down, Claire
21: Descending Mountains and Climbing Waterfalls
22: A True Gauntlet
23: Surging to Kanto
Last edited by pholtos on September 23rd, 2017, 8:14 pm, edited 36 times in total.

Buttson

Re: pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Crystal

Postby Buttson » April 28th, 2015, 5:55 am

Sounds pretty kawaii man, respect.
Image Dicks

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 28th, 2015, 6:01 am

add me, watch me pull out random mewtwos and (if you add it) mega evolved delphoxs
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 28th, 2015, 6:14 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:add me, watch me pull out random mewtwos and (if you add it) mega evolved delphoxs

Well uhh the second one is probably not possible because I have no way to play gen 6. Is Tova all right?

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 28th, 2015, 6:38 am

yup

also I'm pretty sure pokecommunity found a way to insert new pokemon tables into an expanded rom. I know they got megas for gen iii hacks at least
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 30th, 2015, 5:51 am

All right time for session 1: Overloading Via Tutorial

To start off, some of the text will be hard to interpret at times, simply due to overlapping text. So with that in mind...

Oak starts us off by not being able to interpret genders as per usual. Starting from gen 2, time is actually something the game needs, for things such as events and pokemon encounters (although in this case, that's not going to make any difference.) Gotta hand it to them, tentacool is for sure the best pokemon to use as this games opening poke. (Also darn it I wish I could have gotten this set in an even rectangle. Bah.)

Here's me naming myself exactly as I per typically do in games, I love how it just fits. Beyond that the rest of the opening thing that's in every poke happens, and the professor as per normal shrinks us somehow. How dare he.

A nice change from Gen 1: Items are now split up into four subcategories. Balls contains... well pokeballs. Key items contain- "No pholtos, this isn't the time to use that" Ok Oak seriously, not now. TM/HM is pretty self explanatory. Everything else goes into the items section.

Here's the map of Johto, found it hanging on the wall of my room. We are currently in the town of New Bark Town. The gimmick of these town names is plants I believe.

Say hello to your mother. Apparently you don't have a dad. Here we set the day and receive our pokegear back from a mysterious repair shop that you never see anywhere. She's happy to explain how the phone function works no matter if you say yes or no. What's the point in a choice if either way it get's explained to you. Blah.

and here is the pokegear itself. For now all we have is a tab with the date and a tab with our phone. We are so popular right now, just look at all those phone numbers we've got.

She won't let me leave. I am disappointed.

Here is some random guy who probably isn't important to the story at all, but man is he strong. He went and pushed me away like 3 blocks. Do you realize how hard it is to move something three blocks?

Elm is talking about something I'm sure a 10 year old understands. (At least I'm assuming he's 10.

When they were creating names, I wonder how difficult it was to make a dude literally named "Mr. Pokemon". You'd think they'd be a little more creative then that, eh? I guess Elm trusts us, even though we are 10. I dunno if I'd trust a 10 year old with an important discovery, but maybe kids are more responsible in that universe. Who knows?

Now the thing is, this choice really didn't matter. No matter who I picked, I wasn't going to use beyond the point I'd get pokeballs. So I chose Totodile, just in case I need a surfer (and being able to learn whirlpool is a plus). Also of note, I applied a patch that automatically changes all pokemon names to NOT BE ALL CAPS. Sort of a nice feature, just for the aesthetics of it all.

We get Elm's number, get a potion from the assistant that looks a lot like the assistants from Gen 1 (wonder if they're like Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny, in that there's a whole family of people that look alike.

With that said we're finally leaving New Bark Town

When you exit an area, the new area will pop up like so.

Now I have randomized all the wild pokemon of all the routes. As per my ruleset, whatever basic pokemon I come across first in this route will be one of the 6 I take all the way in. So what do I run into?

Oh hey a Vulpix. Once I get pokeballs I will make sure to catch one.

So here's a nice little addon to this gen, exp bars. Gives you a nice idea of when exactly your pokes will evolve.

Another new addition to this gen is fruit-bearing trees. These trees replenish I believe daily, and can have either berries (of various types) or apricorns. I'll get into those later.

Took this to show that it really is random. This little guy probably shouldn't be on the first route.

Heading into Cherrygrove, this old man was just standing there. He's another tutorial type, explaining the way the centers and marts work, among a few things. For listening to him, we get another card for our pokegear, the map card.

This is how I would go about getting the Everstones. Using a code, I gained the ability to buy Everstones, for 200 a piece. Not a bad deal, I'd say.

This concludes my first session. Hope you all enjoyed, and if you have any suggestions or comments go ahead and let me know.
Last edited by pholtos on April 30th, 2015, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 30th, 2015, 6:27 am

Oh man, both fire canids are my favorite non-starters from gen 1 because reasons. I hope you don't have to make a team around them, but it'd be neat or something.

Also wow I don't like looking back at old gens. Too much that I take for granted nowadays. Hope you like walking

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 30th, 2015, 7:12 am

I'll be quite content in walking for a while.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 30th, 2015, 7:37 am

Oh hey, someone who actually chooses the best starter of this generation. Everyone always seems to go for cyndaquil for some reason.
💙💙💙

Buttson

Postby Buttson » April 30th, 2015, 8:46 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:Hope you like walking

That's actually the biggest advantage of the old gens, emulator with a speed function and you're grinding and backtracking at 1000% efficiency

Dicks

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 30th, 2015, 9:49 am

Alice wrote:Oh hey, someone who actually chooses the best starter of this generation. Everyone always seems to go for cyndaquil for some reason.

its funny because while t-dile is best for gsc c-quil is best for the remakes

and i feel sad because as much as i like c-quil i also like b-leaf

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 30th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Session 2, Part 1 : More Talking Edition

Moving on to Route 30, new route means a new poke to find that will be added to my team.

Nope not that one.

Dunno if I showed this last time. Every route has one of these signs, signifying what the towns on either side of said route are. Nice to know, but since I have a map, not really too useful.

Here's a berry dude that loves his berries. He was nice enough to share one with us, so in return we'll take another one from right outside his house.

Ooh a horsea! Good variety so far, one fire, one water.

Heading up north we reach Mr. Generic's house. WARNING: LOT'S OF TALKING AHEAD.

Apparently back then, eggs were a complete mystery or something. I'm not sure. Wait... Oak, didn't you meet me in the very beginning of the game? When you weren't sure if I was a boy or a girl? Do you have a short term memory or something?

Apparently Totodile is a rare pokemon.

Well, on the bright side we got a pokedex out of all this. The pokedex is an encyclopedia of sorts, you run into pokemon in the wild and you get some very very basic info on the pokemon, catching them will give you full info.

Dang it Elm why do you have to just suddenly call me like this? I just finished trying to digest all that talking and now you go and talk to me even more. Besides, you aren't making any sense!

Antidote get.

This is the games interpretation of how a battle looks from outside a battle. I've gotta say, they sure can cause roadblocks. Imagine a battle going on on a highway, such that it causes a traffic jam.

On our way back through Cherrygrove we run into Mr. Actually Might Be Important and he apparently has a good pokemon. What sort of menacing, overpowering pokemon could he possibly have?!?!?

Aww... a Swinub! Which... is invisible? (I totally didn't just take pictures that just happened to not show the sprite, nope.)

Man... it must be hard being called questionmarkquestionmarkquestionmark. You must get a lot of odd looks with a name like that.

Police actually exist apparently, even though you rarely see them. But hmm... we get to name the rival. So I went with the most serious of names for him (although I don't even know if it'll stick, have to wait til our next encounter to be sure.)

So I go with banana. Yep.

I'm trying to imagine a real life police officer taking me seriously here.

SO MUCH TALKING. OY. Long story short: "What an egg? Wow a pokedex? Hey you should go fight the gym leaders and become champion."

We say goodbye to our mother. I said no to saving money, simply because a lot of the stuff she would buy if she had been saving my money would be sorta useless. At least with me out of the house she'll have a bed to sleep on. All the house has is a living room/dining room, a kitchen and our bedroom.

Final bit of tutorial (finally). Guy offers to teach us how to catch pokemon, I say no. I don't really get his last statement though, if I want to catch pokemon, I have to... walk a lot? That makes no sense.

There's more to this update but it's a lot of pictures so I decided to split it up here. Will probably post the next bit tomorrow.

Next time, actual gameplay!

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 30th, 2015, 9:39 pm

yay / \gameplea/

EDIT: tyop i s mine

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 7th, 2015, 6:50 am

Sorry for the delay on the next part. I'm currently patiently waiting for some sort of confirmation or otherwise about being able to use audio in a post, and will probably not be able to update until that is determined.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 10th, 2015, 4:43 am

Session 2, Part 2 : The Beginning of a Journey in Hilarity

So last time we finally finished up the tutorial. With that in mind we can now catch pokemon!

Vulpix was a bit difficult to catch, took 3 pokeballs I believe. Which to be honest isn't actually that difficult.

I tend to have a simple naming scheme of making things sound somewhat adorable. So Vulpy.

Here would be the stats of said Vulpy.

On Route 30, Weezings run rampant, as do explosions.

Piloswines on the otherhand proved to be lovely pokemon to train against to bring vulpy up to snuff...

...and since I no longer need totodile he goes into the box, and will probably never be used. If you recall I also ran into a horsea on this route last time, and as such I need to find it.

It's here somewhere...

Any minute now...

Oy.

OY!

GAAAAAME! As luck would have it horsea happened to be the rarest pokemon on the route, from what I could tell.

Now in hindsight I probably should have kept totodile around til I caught Horsea. But that wasn't exactly in the spirit of things, so through a tough fight (and barely surviving), I caught Horsea.

Whom I couldn't figure out a name for. Here's the stats for said Horsea.

Might as well mention this here, this is the first game in the series to have animated sprites. Gen 1 and Gold and Silver did not have this type of thing. Here we have horsea's sprite as an example.

Now that I have my proper team, gotta give them the everstones.

The game proceeds to mock me by hitting me with a wild horsea right after I found the previous one. Thanks game.

Did I mention Piloswine was a great poke to find on this route?

At last we run into our first trainer! W-wait... what's that sound?!?

N-no...

it...

it couldn't be....

IT IS!

OH NO~~~!

So upon hilarity and random chance, my first opponent is inspector gadget. It's time to further explain the randomization process. There are two things that get randomized here, the trainer class and the trainer name. The trainer class, youngster got swapped with inspector. So all youngsters from now on will be labeled as inspector. Meanwhile the name is completely random out of my list.

Today I learned that inspector gadget is a terrible pokemon trainer.

Of course I'm gonna want inspector gadget's phone number, are you kidding me? He's got that go-go gadget phone anyway. Or to be precise, a phone glove.

I guess here's another explanation. At times, you will run across trainers whom, if you talk to them after defeating them, will ask for your phone number. If you accept, they will call you randomly. What they call about will vary. Some will call to ask about a rematch, others will call to say they found something like a stone and offer to give it to you. All in all it's a nice feature in a way, but can get annoying, since they really do call completely at random.

Gosh darn it, fainted to poison right there.

Uh oh... it's potato! Image

I'm gonna try my best with these battles, at least getting all the pokemon. I'll try in the future to add more action to these fights. Anyway potato over her does his best to defeat us, with a poke of our own and a cow. Unfortunately, potato is no match for my might.

but I wanna....

Oh dear. The last thing I want is for her to get disgruntled, can you imagine? (bug trainer -> disgruntled)

I'd rather not have to face her wrath when she's in that mood.

It is really hard to show how easy or difficult a fight is with pictures, but I'm pretty sure both of these were one hit KOs. Horsea learns smokescreen, which will be really nice, given I'll need plenty of strategy to succeed against potentially brutal pokemon out of nowhere.

New route! The area between Cherrygrove and Violet has been divided in two, routes 30 and 31. Since this is a new route, that means we get to find the third member of our team.

Potion get.

Nope. That won't work.

Ooh a chinchou, a water/electric type. It's... all right. The problem is that puts us at two water types in one team SO FAR. Who knows if I'll get a third. This chinchou is a butt, knowing both supersonic and thunder wave.

Nevermind it's no longer a butt, it's on my team.

Thought the name Chinchy would work for this one.

Here ya go Chinchy! :3

Here's another type of berry and it's effect.

Pokeball get.

Shameless advertising dude. Not cool.

and so we arrive at Violet city... to go and heal.

OH NOOO! THIS IS EVEN WORSE THAN JUDY!

I DON'T WANT ANY OF THIS COMING AT ME!

This fight had... a lot of variety. The most annoying one was muk.
I... I think defeating her calmed her down a bit.

Gosh darn it!

Almost forgot to show Chinchy's stats

And thus ends today's segment. See you all next time when we tackle sprout tower and the first gym.
Last edited by pholtos on May 10th, 2015, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » May 10th, 2015, 6:15 am

Oh man, fainting from poison right at the Pokemon Center counter twice in one episode!? That's one of those things that barely ever happens even once! (It seems like my Pokemon usually faint just outside the Pokemon Center instead.) The game must have been feeling really goofy that day.

And that was an amazing name choice (well, "name chance," I guess) for the guy with the top-percentage Koffing. He and his accompanying audio clip were definitely part of my childhood.

Question: Do you count Sprout Tower as a "route" for the purposes of the catching rule? (If there even are any wild Pokemon there that fit the rules, that is.)

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 10th, 2015, 6:19 am

Speedless wrote:Question: Do you count Sprout Tower as a "route" for the purposes of the catching rule? (If there even are any wild Pokemon there that fit the rules, that is.)

Ah I intended to talk about this next episode but I guess I'll mention it here. I decided not to count it, as it's technically a "dungeon" of sorts. What I mean is, I'll only catch a new member if the area has the word "Route" in it.

I actually had forgotten a thing in there, made sure to add it in it's proper spot. Whoops.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » May 10th, 2015, 8:23 am

Aw yeah little Chinchy! I remember Chinchou being that one pokemon I needed to catch back when I first played Gold. At the time I thought the typing was super neat because of how contradictory it seemed.
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 11th, 2015, 12:26 am

Session 3, Part 1 : Attack of the Water Pokemon

Welcome back this Pokemon Crystal adventure. Last time we made it to violet city and got our first three party members: Vulpy the Vulpix, Horsea the uhh... Horsea and Chinchy the Chinchou. Let us be off.

In ever pokemon game, you have a couple in game trades. In some cases, the only way to acquire a pokemon is through one of these trades. I, however will not be using them.

Curse you giant plant blockade!

On my way to Sprout Tower, I reached this building. It'll come into play a bit later.

First stop in Violet City is here, Sprout Tower. Overall a good place to train your pokemon up before facing off against the gym leader.

Here we have the case of "I have no idea how to make this at all funny" naming. Hero River? What could I even do with that?

In this battle, the further I got into it the less threatening it was.

Paralyze heal get. Man with a name like hero I would worry I'd end up with something truly frightening... It's funny how tha-

NOOOOOOOO! Oh. Oh it's ok it's everyone's favorite batma-

OH MY GOODNESS HE'S GOT A BOMB!

Say hello to Mantine, the first of our many water type encounters. Ugh. Water types are a pain to take down when all you have is a fire pokemon and two pokemon whose only attacking moves are bubble.

X Accuracy get. X items are battle only items which raises a stat, depending on the name. Probably won't be using these but you never know.

Nitori... what are you doing here?

Don't ask me, I'm the protagonist.

Fairly hard fight. Thought I'd show off my normal chinchy strategy here, although paralysis barely did anything besides slow down that pinsir, dang vicegrip.

Showing there are in fact wild pokemon encounters here. Took til now to get one. Unfortunately for choppy over here I can't catch him, this isn't a route.

Potion get.

Oh how glorious of a name THIS one is. Even HE isn't sure if he is a hero.

His team of one bellossom didn't fair much better.

D-dracula? Oh dear. Surprisingly a hero dracula actually exists.

See? Apparently he was some sort of comic book hero back in the golden ages.

Once upon a time there was a chinchou. Now this chinchou had an idiotic trainer who decided to leave him in against a fully evolved grass type. It fainted. It's trainer is an idiot. Now up to this point we've fought against a touhou, batman himself and dracula. I think we can take on the ne-

Does this fight remind anyone of a puzzle? If layton actually did exist and fought in a pokemon tourney, I'd say he'd fair pretty well.

His outfit alone would win him up to the quarterfinals.

This one was actually a surprise. Layton did a switcharoo to improve his chances. Midfight against gastly he switched to his other poke, at which point I got stubborn and kept chinchy in out of stubbornness.

Another wild poke I will sadly not be able to get.

Banana provides a bunch of text for us to read. He seems to not understand this whole concept of caring.

Escape rope get.

I'd just like to mention how silly the idea of a hero that is a pumpkin would be and I could imagine one of the most dire moments of said series in which the pumpkin develops a large crack in it's body that makes him extremely vulnerable and his friends the squash gang must find a cure for their heroic leader before the evil carvellos take over the city.

Three pokemon, three seperate fights. First we have croconaw... a water pokemon. Oy. It took a combo of all three to defeat it. (Also accuracy drops don't seem to work to well for some reason.)

All right, so far so good. It's fortunate I could manage with vulpix, but I don't think it even had an electric attack so it probably would have been fine. At least it wasn't a wa-

... GAME!

This was by far the hardest pokemon to fight, and was a nice end to sprout tower.

aaaand we get flash, which I probably will never use.

Now that we're done here it's time to go and

Gosh darn it.

This ends this part. Next time we'll tackle the first gym.

There any suggestions you guys have for this so far? Should I maybe double the size of the pictures from now on? (After the next part I mean)

metasomnia

Postby metasomnia » May 11th, 2015, 1:08 am

pholtos wrote:Session 2, Part 2 : The Beginning of a Journey in Hilarity

So last time we finally finished up the tutorial. With that in mind we can now catch pokemon!

Vulpix was a bit difficult to catch, took 3 pokeballs I believe. Which to be honest isn't actually that difficult.

I tend to have a simple naming scheme of making things sound somewhat adorable. So Vulpy.

Here would be the stats of said Vulpy.

On Route 30, Weezings run rampant, as do explosions.

Piloswines on the otherhand proved to be lovely pokemon to train against to bring vulpy up to snuff...

...and since I no longer need totodile he goes into the box, and will probably never be used. If you recall I also ran into a horsea on this route last time, and as such I need to find it.

It's here somewhere...

Any minute now...

Oy.

OY!

GAAAAAME! As luck would have it horsea happened to be the rarest pokemon on the route, from what I could tell.

Now in hindsight I probably should have kept totodile around til I caught Horsea. But that wasn't exactly in the spirit of things, so through a tough fight (and barely surviving), I caught Horsea.

Whom I couldn't figure out a name for. Here's the stats for said Horsea.

Might as well mention this here, this is the first game in the series to have animated sprites. Gen 1 and Gold and Silver did not have this type of thing. Here we have horsea's sprite as an example.

Now that I have my proper team, gotta give them the everstones.

The game proceeds to mock me by hitting me with a wild horsea right after I found the previous one. Thanks game.

Did I mention Piloswine was a great poke to find on this route?

At last we run into our first trainer! W-wait... what's that sound?!?

N-no...

it...

it couldn't be....

IT IS!

OH NO~~~!

So upon hilarity and random chance, my first opponent is inspector gadget. It's time to further explain the randomization process. There are two things that get randomized here, the trainer class and the trainer name. The trainer class, youngster got swapped with inspector. So all youngsters from now on will be labeled as inspector. Meanwhile the name is completely random out of my list.

Today I learned that inspector gadget is a terrible pokemon trainer.

Of course I'm gonna want inspector gadget's phone number, are you kidding me? He's got that go-go gadget phone anyway. Or to be precise, a phone glove.

I guess here's another explanation. At times, you will run across trainers whom, if you talk to them after defeating them, will ask for your phone number. If you accept, they will call you randomly. What they call about will vary. Some will call to ask about a rematch, others will call to say they found something like a stone and offer to give it to you. All in all it's a nice feature in a way, but can get annoying, since they really do call completely at random.

Gosh darn it, fainted to poison right there.

Uh oh... it's potato! Image

I'm gonna try my best with these battles, at least getting all the pokemon. I'll try in the future to add more action to these fights. Anyway potato over her does his best to defeat us, with a poke of our own and a cow. Unfortunately, potato is no match for my might.

but I wanna....

Oh dear. The last thing I want is for her to get disgruntled, can you imagine? (bug trainer -> disgruntled)

I'd rather not have to face her wrath when she's in that mood.

It is really hard to show how easy or difficult a fight is with pictures, but I'm pretty sure both of these were one hit KOs. Horsea learns smokescreen, which will be really nice, given I'll need plenty of strategy to succeed against potentially brutal pokemon out of nowhere.

New route! The area between Cherrygrove and Violet has been divided in two, routes 30 and 31. Since this is a new route, that means we get to find the third member of our team.

Potion get.

Nope. That won't work.

Ooh a chinchou, a water/electric type. It's... all right. The problem is that puts us at two water types in one team SO FAR. Who knows if I'll get a third. This chinchou is a butt, knowing both supersonic and thunder wave.

Nevermind it's no longer a butt, it's on my team.

Thought the name Chinchy would work for this one.

Here ya go Chinchy! :3

Here's another type of berry and it's effect.

Pokeball get.

Shameless advertising dude. Not cool.

and so we arrive at Violet city... to go and heal.

OH NOOO! THIS IS EVEN WORSE THAN JUDY!

I DON'T WANT ANY OF THIS COMING AT ME!

This fight had... a lot of variety. The most annoying one was muk.
I... I think defeating her calmed her down a bit.

Gosh darn it!

Almost forgot to show Chinchy's stats

And thus ends today's segment. See you all next time when we tackle sprout tower and the first gym.

T-those names...

Also, it's too bad you're playing a Nuzlocke or I would request you catch that Misdreavus and name it after me!
Good game so far, pholtos!
Have a literal signature:

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 11th, 2015, 1:41 am

Fyi - I'm pretty sure in gens 1 and 2 the stat changes don'tdo what they say they do. Iirc accuracy drops actually boost evasiveness on your end or something stupid like that

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 11th, 2015, 1:48 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:Fyi - I'm pretty sure in gens 1 and 2 the stat changes don'tdo what they say they do. Iirc accuracy drops actually boost evasiveness on your end or something stupid like that

Really? I looked around but I couldn't find anything like that.

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » May 11th, 2015, 3:06 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:Fyi - I'm pretty sure in gens 1 and 2 the stat changes don'tdo what they say they do. Iirc accuracy drops actually boost evasiveness on your end or something stupid like that

The only thing I know is in Gen 1 Focus Energy lowers the Crit ratio instead of boosting it.
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 11th, 2015, 3:12 am

I think I'm confusing gen Is "critical hit rate is based on speed lol" mechanic, but accuracy checks do get bypassed if you use an X item so idk. source: Pokémon speedruns .com

sorry phone is weird

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 11th, 2015, 5:55 am

I actually have a question you guys. If I ran into a poke that doesn't evolve at all, should I pass on it or use it?

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 11th, 2015, 7:09 am

I feel like it depends on the mon? Like if it's shiny or dumb go for it, but if it's like MewTwo don't

<tovakj> yes

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario

Postby Lead Luigi » May 11th, 2015, 2:46 pm

If you find a Dunsparce you better use it Photos.
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Speedless

Postby Speedless » May 11th, 2015, 3:39 pm

I'd say it depends on how important the no-evolutions aspect of the challenge is to you. I mean, taking only Pokemon that can evolve is explicitly in the catching rule the way it's currently written, but you haven't run into any non-evolving Pokemon as your first encounter on a route yet. It seems like it would be fair to adjust the rule now, before it actually comes up, if you don't mind the challenge rules being a little looser than they are right now.

Now, if you allow all non-evolving Pokemon, that means potentially getting Pokemon like Snorlax, Lapras, and Aerodactyl that are significantly more powerful than most unevolved Pokemon. So if what you want out of this challenge is to avoid being as powerful as evolved Pokemon usually are, allowing them all would risk defeating the purpose. Then again, considering that Scyther and Chansey are technically unevolved Pokemon, even though they have stats on par with many evolved Pokemon (and used to be non-evolving as well), I have to ask: What will you do if you're offered a Scyther?

Oh, and I'm guessing you'd consider legendaries distinct from regular non-evolving Pokemon, right? And as far as shinies, well, a policy of "go ahead and catch it, as long as you only fight with it if it fits your rules" doesn't affect the challenge, so that's what I'd do.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 11th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Session 3, Part 2 : Violet City Gym
(Honestly couldn't think up a good name for this one.)

So in the last bit we beat sprout tower and are now going to go take on the gym. But first... this guy.

This guy... is hilarious. In hindsight he probably has english as a second language. Anyway remember that building I pointed out before entering sprout tower? He leads us there. The odd thing is how he leads us there, he walks fast, and whenever he switches directions, he spins like crazy beforehand. It's.... sort of hard to show picturewise.

and here we are. The first gym. I better make sure to prepare for all those flying pokemon!

Here's out good buddy, mr. advice-dude. He'll have completely useless advice in this run. Now then... let's go tackle the first trai-

raocow... what are you doing here? Have anything to say for yourself?
raocow wrote:see it's funny because this line here is ghostwritten by raocow

That... doesn't really explain yourself but ok! (By the way, this is what a ghostwriter is.

G-gaston? D:

Now that's just rude, rao.

Oh hey, our buddy inspector gadget called, asking for a battle. I... probably won't bother with these, but it's nice to be able to show that they really do call whenever.

This is probably one of the strangest comboes I'll get. A rabbit from touhou who writes books for someone else? I'm... a tad confused about this one.

Welcome to the Meowth power hour.

The guardian of the scarlet devil mansion is gonna show us the power of birds while wearing a fluffy coat. Just imagine that in your head.

Mm hmm... yep. You sure are threatening there sakuya. Just look at that jumpluff splash. That was a pretty easy first poke, looks like I won't have any trouble at all with thi-

O-oh.... Oh dear. This... is going to be difficult.

and it was. It REALLY was. Despite it only knowing pound, if you notice, I REALLY don't do that much damage to it, even though I'm a couple levels higher all around. Through attrition and three pokemon, I defeated it. Yeesh.

Y-you have a dad, Sakuya? The touhou's have parents? and I really wouldn't call a Jumpluff and a Mew bird pokemon. Are you all right?

Hurray! A TM I probably won't use!

and by that I mean can't even use! : D

Elm decides to interrupt my glorious victory parade right as it's about to start, the jerk. He wants us to go to the center to get an egg.

I refuse. Nope. You can't make me. Oh don't look at me like that aide. I don't need your sass. Fine.

Give me the stupid thing.

So I can quickly deposit it and forget about it. See what you've done Aide? You've doomed that egg to an eternity in a box. I hope you're happy.

Here's the stats of the three at the end of part 3. So far so good.

Til next time everyone, we'll make out way towards the next town.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 12th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Session 4, Part 1 : Of Electabuzz and Repeated Names

So for the 4th session I'm experimenting with larger pictures. Tell me what you think.

So in the last part I beat Falkner and got an egg that I deposited immediately because I don't like eggs.

I actually played not at night this time round.

Since I didn't show it last time, here's the description of Violet City. I'm not sure what's nostalgic about it, though.

A wiggly tree? So like... a palm tree? I dunno, probably not important.

So Violet City has two exits to it, one to the left and one down. I went left first.

Again with the tree? Is the tree the big gossip point of the day or something?

Ok this is getting ridiculous. What sort of person goes around punching trees? A tree hater, that's who.

Oh. OH. Ok. It's definitely plot important. See how it blocks a three way intersection? If it was only two it probably wouldn't be important, but three? Totally important there. Look at it dance for us. Isn't it graceful?

Here's an optional area I won't bother going into. Basically it's a place that you can slowly access more and more of depending on your amount of HMs and having some items (I believe). In there you would normally find the pokemon Unown. Oh right. Since this isn't the plot moving forward route, I decided not to catch a pokemon here.

Berry get.

and so we head down on our way to Azalea Town. New route that leads somewhere new means team member number 4 will be joining us. Who's it going to be this time?

But before we get to finding a pokemon, we have this guy. I believe he stops us if we haven't gotten the badge here first, but since I already have he goes and gives us this hold item that improves grass moves called a miracle seed. Unfortunately for him, I won't be using it as my pokes are already holding something.

Ok seriously I need to take river out of randomizer next time. There really isn't anything silly about the name river. It's just... a river. Can you imagine a show about a river that tries to inspect crime scenes? He's wash away all the clues. Darn it river.

Pokemon 1 - A Bellossom. Not very difficult for Vulpy.

Oh neat a ditto. Time to take advantage of having both a water and a fire type.

Nope. That won't do.

So here's our next member. Bellsprout. Grass/Poison typing. All around a good balancer for our team of water/electric, water and fire.

I actually struggled with the naming on this one. I almost went with Belly but that sounded silly.

Here you go Bells. :3

For those who like stats and stuff, here's Bells'.

Here's the other possible pokes on this route that I met. Quite a scary route actually.

I am a rude rude person. I interrupt people on the phone. Also I have no idea what a neko miko is but it was in my trainer class list for one reason or another.

She had an electabuzz. Which is a very powerful electric type pokemon to be honest. It sort of brings to mind the fact that I'll definitely have issues with these types in the future.

Gadget calls us again, I wonder if he's lonely? Also, repel get.

B-batman? W-what are you... but didn't we already? Oh whatever let's fight again.

... maybe next time when you learn to fight.

Dang it Gadget! It was at this point I realized that these calls may be time based, like they will happen every so often after an amount of time passes. During this fight I actually went away from my computer for a bit, so that might have caused a call as soon as the battle ended.

I have no idea what a Marcellus is. None. Will probably also get removed from my list for the next go around.

Freshly caught Sunflora. Mmm mmm mmm.

Nitori... what are you doing here. Didn't we just fight recently, too? Are you following me?

An eskimo touhou with a penguin. Actually somewhat logical here.

Hoo boy, the fisherman with 4 magikarp, 3 level 5 and one level 15... and the level 15 happened to be an Electabuzz. Oh dear. This fight was pretty close, lost three pokemon to this one mon.

Thankfully the remaining two didn't pose too big of a threat. Three embers and it was over.

Great ball get. That's going to be all for this installment. Next time we'll finish up the journey to Azalea. Til then.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » May 12th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Personally I find the bigger pics a bit easier to read. And they're still so small as to not be a big deal when loading them all or anything. Also Batman is an artist in the Pokemon world. I guess I could sort of see that. Though wouldn't he be something like Zubatman there?
💙💙💙

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario

Postby Lead Luigi » May 12th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Alice wrote:Though wouldn't he be something like Zubatman there?

http://youtu.be/zUrqoI-vA8U
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Speedless

Postby Speedless » May 12th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Okay, so for a minute I was a little disappointed that we started getting repeat names so soon... And then I realized that it's actually pretty interesting, thanks to two different possible in-universe explanations for why there would be repeats. Either River, Potato, and Batman are somewhat common names in Johto (which would be neat because it's kind of weird that in the official games, you never get repeat names at all, even though you'd think you'd get one eventually if you explored a whole area and battled every Pokemon trainer there)... OR all these people you're fighting are actually the same small group of people following you all around the region, repeatedly taking on new identities and putting together completely different Pokemon teams to battle you with, just because they feel like it.

I personally prefer this second interpretation, because the mental image of raocow and Batman being part of some kind of extreme theater troupe whose entire purpose is to follow one guy around all over the place, pretending to be enough other people to fill a whole region, is too amazing to pass up.

Also, yay for Bellsprout! With this, you finally have a way to deal with Water-types (that you won't have to wait 10+ more levels for).

Ah, Electabuzz... it's like Raichu, but stronger. And those of us who remember Lt. Surge from Yellow know just how much of a pain a disproportionately high-level Electric-type can be, even when you know it's coming! Congratulations for making it through that nonsense, pholtos.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 12th, 2015, 10:52 pm

River's a hella interesting name if you're a whovian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrgLNER9JBM

EDIT: also neko miko means "cat shintou_~priestess" but I have no idea if it's a properly formed phrase and miko is harder to translate (their role is more like nun, but shintouism being a completely different religion the shrine maidens don't normally swear their entire lives to the job, they aren't usually celibate, pretty much their jobs are ritual cleaning, dancing, etc. which can all be done as summer jobs and because of all this this is why Japan doesn't seem to understand what nuns are or why fantasizing about them is super weird. Ancient mikos though were full on shamans back when Japan actually believed its religions, and there are still contingents of mikos who are blind or something that makes them more fit for ceremonial jobs than modern jobs).

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 13th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Session 4, Part 2 : Attack of the Touhous

So last time we were beginning our trip to Azalea. Today, we'll be continuing on our journey.

Ho? So you found some good pokemon? Let's see then.

... I feel like I'm being mocked or something.

We run across this guy who sells the tail of a slowpoke for the meager sum of 1 million dollars. I'm sorry that I'm not rich. As a note the maximum amount of money you can have in this game is 999,999 dollars. So no matter what, you can't buy this... Unless you cheat in some way.

Great ball get. This one was actually invisible, I just figured there may be an item up there.

Even though I won't actually be using it, I figured I might as well get it just because.

Potato... what're you doing here.

Oof. This one was a bit difficult. The Gyarados only knew thrash, so there's that. At least in these early levels I won't have to worry about ridiculous moves, of course by then I should be able to deal with them.

I find this sign fairly useless. Why you ask?

Because it's literally the only place you can go from that sign besides backwards. The game even tells you it's union cave. Although if you were actually in that universe that sign would probably be useful.

Here's the full set of the wilds I found while in the cave. Oops there's a spoiler in the bottom right, I wonder what happened?

Items get.

....... Baa.

All right two things to note here. One, his only poke is the same poke as I started out with. Which creeped me out a bit. Two, my in game persona is apparently an idiot.

I swear the naming is random, this just happens to be the 2nd touhou name in this part, no big deal.

I appreciate when I have type advantages. Makes these fights go pretty smoothly. Anyway, I believe this trainer was the one with three geodudes if I recall correctly.

IS IT YOU? Are you the one doing this to me ZUN? Are you?!?

Horsea flamed out ZUN. The end.

Oh hey, so judge judy is a digimon, how bout that.

Yeesh, an Arcanine with Take Down. Painful.

I... I... swear these names are randomized... from a list... really I do.

One level 9 geodude. Not really that difficult for bells.

Making it out of union cave drops us off at route 33, the smallest route in the whole game I'd wager, it's basically one screen in size. I actually had to confirm this wasn't part of the previous route.

We've made it to Azalea Town! ...To heal. That's probably going to be a norm in this playthrough.

This guy is blocking a path but he's probably not important.

OH COME ON GAME... What is this, 5 touhou related names in just this update? I think I need to add more names next go around.

Gastly wouldn't quit licking my horsea. I was not pleased.

... Oh boy. Ok to start off with, I dislike this pokemon. I'm not sure why but I've never really used this pokemon in any run of any pokemon game I've ever played. So in a way, I was not exactly pleased when it popped up, but so the rules are written, so it shall be. Ok I did some self reflecting, it isn't charmander I have a problem with, it's charizard. So it's not really an issue in this case.

And so it was.

Figured Charmy would be a good name for it.

In actuality though, Charmy can actually learn mud slap, so that gives me a ground type move to work with. So there's that going for it... and as always, the Everstone.

Here's the current stats of said Charmy.

And with that we will call it a day. Next time... Azalea Town!

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 13th, 2015, 10:17 pm

I came to a conclusion about the pokemon I recently caught. In actuality I don't dislike it, it's its final evolution I have issues with, so no biggie.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 13th, 2015, 10:23 pm

I don't know, I like the big thing too. I tended to run with its grass counterpart but never minded having it on my team in FR/LG

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » May 14th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Session 5, Part 1 : Night of the Living Rockets

Gonna try to be a bit more talkative from now one.

Welcome back. In the last session, we gained two new team members, Bells and Charmy, on our way from Violet to Azalea Town. Today we will be starting our journey in Azalea.

Despite what this sign says, this town currently feels a bit.... lacking. Maybe it's the lack of pokemon. I wonder if there's something strange going on here.

Ok so there is DEFINITELY something going on here. Apparently the people in this town live together with slowpokes. However, they have all disappeared and no one really understands why.

So this game actually puts a bit more canon into the history of the pokemon world. In this case, the history of pokeballs. It turns out that apricorns used to be used as this worlds catching devise... you could literally say that pokeballs grew on trees.

We meet some odd plot blockers, one seems to be advertising a 1 million dollar product, and the other seems to be blocking a well. I wonder if they get tired standing there all day.

From now on there is a chance that we may get and apricorn in these berry bushes from now one. The determining factor of these apricorns is the color. Each color transforms into a different type of ball. I'll get into this more later.

Ah text walls. So anyway Kurt here seems to be the only one to know anything about what's going on in this town. So the one's behind the disappearances are Team Rocket, a team that was ever so present in the first generation of games. This also gives us some context on when in the timeline this game takes place, about 3 years after the first generation.

I knew that guy would get tired eventually.

Kurt's a talkative one. So apparently he fell down the well. Darn it Kurt! This is why that guy was blocking the entrance so people wouldn't hurt themselves! Oh also this place is called the Slowpoke Well, I didn't actually screenshot the name at any point.

What? The kind man who was blocking the well was actually a bad guy? Well I never expected tha- zombie? Oh dear. So like literal zombies, team rocket has risen. How appropriate a naming choice game.

I never trained mid sessions so Charmy is still at level 6. A quick switch and down goes the Yanma. I noticed that Charmy actually gained two whole levels at once, never even saw it reach level 7. Poor poor 7... 8 ate you.

Another switcharoo for Dewgong here. We actually had a super effective battle going this time, but I was faster and Dewgong used some non attacking move when I switched in Bells so I won. I consider this method probably the best method to bring Charmy up to the level of the others.

Zombie pumpkin? Where have I heard that one before... oh right.

First pokemon was a golbat, didn't exactly pose much of a threat. All in all things have been going pretty smoothly so far this go around.

I spoke too soon. Oh boy. Ho-oh. Gen 2 legendary bird, fire/flying typing.

Unfortunately for Charmy, I decided to try and have him fight it. At level 11, it only knows SACRED FIRE, A 100 power fire move, and safeguard. Wonderful.

Legendaries will probably be the toughest thing I have to fight in this game. Even with a type advantage and a level advantage, I still feinted first. (Course the burn hax helped it out...)

Says the zombie pumpkin with a legendary fire bird.

Super potion get.

No comment.

I honestly thought Charmy had a chance to stand it's ground here, and was one hit away from winning, but the dang kangaskhan was faster. Ah well... maybe next time Charmy. The rest went down without much hassle.

Hello, I am the protagonist. I can interrupt people's phone calls and read people's mail because no one can stop me. Anyway this is probably Kurt's slowpoke.

I figured I wouldn't comment again but gosh darn it I really do need to take a good hard look at my list of names and make some changes, this is just silly.

So it looks like I sort of struggled with this fight. I did partially. This dodrio basically only used fury attack, and it was really powerful surprisingly. So after chinchy fainted I had an idea. I had horsea fight it, then once I got it close to death I'd leer it a bunch and let horsea faint and bring Charmy back in to get all the experience. It worked nicely.

Literally zombies. Disbanded then came back to the surface after an amount of time passed.

Kurt really does talk a lot. From now on Kurt will be willing to turn those Apricorns I get into pokeballs for me. These balls have unique properties that modify the catch rate or modify things like friendship. In this instance, a Lure Ball is 3 times as effective a normal pokeball on pokemon encountered when fishing, and has the same catch rate as a normal pokeball otherwise. Probably won't need this either but all right.

That's going to be all for this update, til next time we take on the gym and finish up in Azalea. Til then.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 14th, 2015, 8:45 pm

For some reason on Zombie Pumpkin's tails comment went with the battle shot below it, and then somehow I thought it had to do with sonic???

<tovakj> yes

Speedless

Postby Speedless » May 14th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Team Rocket is the best zombie. Also, were they the only team in the whole series without world-altering plans? I must say, sometimes I appreciate the simplicity of good old-fashioned organized crime as a villain figure. It's pretty nice that the randomizer gives all of the grunts individual names, too, instead of just substituting "Zombie Pumpkin" for every instance of "TEAM ROCKET GRUNT."

Ah, the Slowpoke Well. In regular Crystal, this is where I was introduced to Slowpoke's ability to tank like crazy with Curse (against wild Pokemon in the well, at least) and found it extremely entertaining. This is also where the name "Speedless" originally came from. HEYYYYY KIDS! Can you guess what Pokemon was named that!?

Having legendary battles at low levels is... well, first of all, really scary... but it's also neat to see them use moves they wouldn't normally have. Crystal's event Ho-oh is level 60, so it somehow managed to forget its signature move, Sacred Fire, and a lucky Metronome is the only way I can think of to see the move at all without getting a Gold version game or cheatsy tactics involved.

... Your opponents do have limited PP in Crystal, right? Because that makes a Pokemon with only one 5 PP attacking move a little less dangerous, at least (especially once you get to a full party of six).

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”