Let's text adventure through PKMN Y!

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Let's text adventure through PKMN Y!

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 22nd, 2015, 8:09 am

Welcome to Tova's text-based Let's Play of Pokémon Y!

This was decided by *you*, the viewers, so... blame yourselves :kappa:

Table of Contents:

Nuzlocke Rules:

Absolute Adherations (=no me fucking around with things)

If a pokémon faints, it's permaboxed
I can only use the first encounter on any route (excepting forced encounters!)

Minor Rules
Avoid use of the Exp share - grind-training is an exception, maybe climax battles (Big Bad, Elite 4)
Don't enter a gym with pokemon leveled more than 1 or 2 levels above the gym leader's highest unless for some reason its unavoidable
Shiny Clause, Legends Clause - I'm permitting myself effectively to catch whatever I want, though I will not be using them
Dupes clause is in effect - say I encounter an oddish, then later my encounter for another route is an oddish - that second encounter doesn't count. If all pokémon on a route I've encountered, nothing for the route. Same applies if the oddish is any member of its evolutionary family

Notes on form

I'll be playing as the girl, for more options
I'll be trying to name pkmn after Eyesaucers (not a wonderlocke)

So far:
me - fire, water, dragon misc red things - names come from communism
iso - grass, ice, ghost misc orange things - names are iso-, -citration, puns thereof, or chemical compounds
lead - steel, ground, rock, misc green things - variations (eg steel stefano), mary o characters
pholtos - electric, flying, fairy, misc cute things - thunder gods and diminuitive names?
alice - bug? , dark, poison, misc purple things - alice in wonderland characters, janny deepp
buttson - fighting, psychic, normal humanshapes barring a couple because your avy is about the uncanny valley - -Cson
EarthPhantom - Grass-Poison, fem physics, some chthonian mons, etc? Akkadian or Sumerian theme

If you want your name added to the rotation, I'll add it.

Starters will be deterimined by last ID if 0 next else mod 3 if 0 grass if 1 fire if 2 water

So if I'm 12705, 5 mod 3 is 2 so chespin, 0 is 0 so next to 7, 7 mod 3 is 1 so charmander
As it turns out, it's 20584; 4 mod 3 = 1 (Fenniken), 8 mod 3 is 2 (Squirtle).

If I game over, I want to turn it into a different kind of game - like a one pokemon run or speedrun or something

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Episode 1 should begin next post
Last edited by Tovarisch Red Yoshi on June 4th, 2015, 8:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Re: Let's text adventure through PKMN Y!

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 22nd, 2015, 10:44 am

Episode 1 - No title Yet

Yep, so, let's begin, shall we?

Pokémon Y version begins alongside its mate the Sixth Generation of Pokémon. This generation saw the debut of 72 new Pokémon species (for a total of 721), as well as the introduction of the Kalos region, based on France. In addition, a new type (fairy) was introduced, the first time since Generation II, and alongside this came the introduction of Mega Evolution, special item-triggered form changes for many old Pokémon. More on that later.

As always...

If you've never played pkmn before, the games start off with a little intro, basically establishing that this is alternate reality where pokémon take the place as animals, but are sentient to a degree and capable of being very dangerous. These intros are usually handed out by the region's Pokémon professor, the job we wish we could all have, who for Kalos happens to be this inexplicably awesome duder.

The "first" pokémon you see, other than the pikachu on the language select screen. Or the pokémon on the box. Or any if you haven't been in a coma since 96.

The game lets you pick your protagonist. When I first played Y, I picked the boy - Calem. But for this playthrough, I'm gonna go with Serena - the game lets you buy clothes and she can buy more. It will also help me differentiate it from my first playthrough.

The game even lets you pick your race, which is nice. I actually forgot about this, and used the time to pick the blonde (left). There might be a better connection to me - my eyes are blue. But actually my hair's dark brown so ~idk~

As I said above, my naming theme is communism. The person I chose to name her after is Rosa Luxemburg - in Polish Róża Luksemburg. She was a strong critic of Lenin, who advocated direct democracy, but was willing to fight for it. She founded the Spartacus League (Spartakusbund), which aimed to bring about democratic revolution in Germany and Austria. But a miscommunication led to lauching an assault early on the Kingdom of Austria, and despite counting on theoretical allies the Social-democratic Party of Germany (Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutchlands - today's SPD), they sicked the Freikorps (World War I veterans who banded together into right-wing (royalist and proto-fascist) paramilitary groups) on her, slaughtering her and her allies. I don't really see her actions as good - I'm a pacifist, actually - but to be honest, I don't really see how her actions are much different than George Washington's. She's an interesting person anyways https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Luxemburg

The intro is this gorgeous cutscene you should look up for yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuHSfXTjvCE

Roza in her pjs with her wii u and special edition pikachu 3ds. She's spoiled, ain't she? :keepo:

All set!

No potions! Just game hints. kinda a drag

Behold! Our Mother! Considering this is PokéFrance, maman?

What? Mom has a room? how advanced!

Birdie from the intro - special guest, ma thumb

Coming out of the house, you're greeted by these two bozos. The girl is Shauna and she's the bianca/wally/loser rival of sorts of this game. The boy's Calem, who you should recognize as the other player avatar. Yep, later there's two more.

Every game, gotta meet this guy :)

Alright, this is my trainer id: Name's Roza, I have 3000 Pokédollars (about 25$ pokamérican), 0 pokémiles, I had been playing for 11 minutes, and barely snuck in my start before midnight. But more importantly - my id number.

In every pokémon game, you get a starter; you pick from three. Trying to orchestrate a vote on this was gonna be time-eating, so I decided to leave it up to rng - my id would set the value. How do it work?

We use 10 digits - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and 0 . In order to cut this to three, I'd throw out 0s from the number, and modulo with a base 3. Modular arithmetic if you don't know it is just like trying to figure out the time from after midnight or after noon for 12 hour people. If you go to work at 8 and stay there 9 hours, you would expect to come home at 17 - but there is no 17, so you do the operation 17 mod 12 to get 5PM. Another way of looking at it - keep dividing, but don't divide your remainder (or subtract the base until you would get a negative number).

In this case, my id is 20584. Taking the digit 4, 4 mod 3 = 1. But there's no possible answer 3, so we're counting inclusively from 0 to 2: 0,1,2. So I'll pick the middle one.

town descripto

There was a gate here, that opened for me in an interesting way, to reveal

GLORIOUS KALOS ROUTE 1 EVERYBODY

I'm gonna submit this now, this isn't the end of episode one, but I'm worried about post issues next. 1.5 will be next.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 22nd, 2015, 10:57 am

ma thumb best guest character

Also mom gets her own room? No more sleeping on the table cushions?

e: also is that a crack on the screen or hair?
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 22nd, 2015, 11:19 am

This would probably actually fit better in the LP subforum. While it's intended for Iso's LPs that's mostly because I didn't think there would be anyone else posting anything LP related here.
Isocitration wrote:e: also is that a crack on the screen or hair?

I thought it was a crack at first but it looks like it's actually a hair after closer inspection.
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 22nd, 2015, 12:39 pm

Continuing

So I step into town and before I can really even do anything I'm called over somewhere

It's the bozos! with two more bozitos

Calem's eyes are on the big guy - he's talking about him. I'd make a fat joke or something but honestly that'd just be hypocritical at this point

The redhead now - he's the Izzy, apparently

One more, so you can see their faces

And then blurry here to start something horrible

If you look at the album these pictures are a part of they start arguing over what to call me, Tierno wants to call me Lady R, Shauna wants to call me :lilz: (actually R), then they pressure poor Trevor into picking something and he goes for Rozakins

Fun fact: the kins suffix is the same as the kin in pumpkin, munchkin, bumpkin, and is cognate to the German -chen (eg Mädchen = girl).

Actually fun fact: The German version starts obsessively calling Trevor Trevor-Tomato from now on

Anyways, Calem as the voice of reason (dubious) lets me pick my own nickname

hmm

hmmmm

nah

ew, who would pick this name :kappa:

This works. Nice random thing - tovarisch, said like taVAreeshch, is a Russian word, but it was borrowed from Turks (either Tartars or Kazakhs), whose language has no grammatical gender. As such the commies picked it (it once meant merchant) as a new, gender neutral word for mr. or mrs., free from feudal tsarist connotations.

See? Game agrees

Picking the middle pokémon...

A male.

So I'm gonna be honest - Fenniken's line is actually my favorite of the 3, despite being worse for competitive. It helps that I chose it for my only other playthrough of gen VI, so I know it fairly well. I actually think the Pokémon legitimately is underrated - psychic, flamethrower, grassknot, and sunny day helped me get pretty damn high for a while in the maison (=postgame). But, that's neither here nor there - none of those moves are available to me.

Since it's a fire type, it's going to take after me, which tbh for my first is fitting. I decided to kinda bend the rules a bit - I woulda named him Kalle after Karl Liebknecht (Rosa's equal), but considering the theme to be unveiled later in its evolution stages, I just thought the first syllable of Luxemburg's last name was just too fitting. It's a pun on the Latin word for Light, it sounds kinda esoteric-y, and even sounds like the name of my first Fenniken - Felix.

If you don't know, this game makes heavy use of elemental rock-paper-scissors. You might have noticed a pattern in the starters - fenniken was all orange and fiery, froakie was all blue and watery, and chespin was all green and grassy. Water drowns fire, fire burns wood, grass absorbs water - so since I picked fire, this is her being the "easy" rival

and him the hard.

Got this thingy - guess I should fill it up for profi guy

Ah, speaking of, I got Professor Oak Sycamore's Letter

uh-oh

Shauna wants to cockfight battle!

Well, at least this gives us the opportunity to check stats

At level 5, with no experience, no training of any kind, our little Lux here is 19/9/9/12/11/12

It's early to tell what kind of stats those are. But those can very. Every pokémon has some numbers stored with them that are unique to the individual - these are called IVs (individual values), and they're sorta like a pokémon's genetic aptitude. These values can range from 0 to 31 for each of a pokémons 6 stats. Using a calculator designed to do this http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcxy.shtml Lux's ranges are 0-19/0-9/0-19/16-31/0-19/20-31, or kinda bad/bad/kinda bad/good/kinda bad/very good. But the thing is, depending on the pokémon different stats are worth more than anything - Fenniken's most irrelevant stat ultimately is its attack - the only known to be bad one. Its most important stats are its special attack and speed - both are likely to be very good. HP could be better.

It also has the blaze ability - every pokémon has an ability, and it can make or break the pokemon. Fenniken's default is blaze; couldn't expect anything else though. Pretty much what happens is Lux gets an attack boost for fire-type moves when his hp is less than 1/3.

His moves. Scratch is very basic Normal attack. Tail Whip is a status move - it causes the opponent's defense to lower by one stage (roughly 1/3 I think, but additional stages are multiplicative; it logarithmically decreases, there's no basically hope to reduce an opponent's defense to 0)

Shauna's Chespin goes down in two hits! Defeating us gives us experience, letting us level up and increase our power!

He also gives an Effort Value for defense. EVs are the Lamarckian equivalent to IVs.

This gives us a slightly better idea of what Lux is like: 4-19/0-9/4-19/16-25/0-13/20-29
Not the best, but we could do worse.

Crushed her hopes and dreams by making her lose her first battle

Oh yeah! Stole some lunch money too - about 4 bucks USD

Pretty perspective and running anima... oh yeah

At least mom thinks highly of herself...

And Sycamore's gonna be inexplicably awesome again without even being around

All the letter thing was for - nostalgia

This thing's apparently the family dog, and it's as old as we are

and it lives in a sand box smaller than it. You can ride it too, though it doesn't leave the house and you aren't in control.

heck yeah, free shit

did you know this was an rpg, guys?

This... will be important later. Or now. any ideas on how I should go about getting fashions and such?

This is the only way to take screenshots in game... and it doesn't work yet.

Oo, hey, this looks neat

Sure, I'll buy 10 - and get a primier ball for free! (Pokéballs cost about a dollar our money)

These signs fall down when you enter areas! they're neat!

Can you tell we're in France yet?

Now...here's the thing. The game makes sure you always get the same encounter here, and makes sure you have to get it. I don't necessarily like that. So I'm gonna pull out the forced encounter clause. But since this is a nuzlocke, it feels like it's violating the spirit to beat it...
So I'm running
O, hey, it's Bozito y Bozita! Here to do the... catching... tutorial...

D'oh

I actually forgot that he gave those, somehow. Anyways, Calem's like super good at everything and totally not Cheren or something so did the catching tutorial on a bunnelby.

future

and my first real encounter is!

Ew. Scatterbug...

Scatterbug's not... well, he's not... he's a gimmick but pretty weak. That could mean death fairly quick for it, which isn't good :( Oh well, better than nothing.

An easy catch. Actually surprised it didn't faint.

She's a she. Bug type we likened to Alice, so I went looking for names having to do with her. It felt like it'd be mean to put her actual name on something so weak, but it also isn't so bad that it should be the queen of hearts or something. Decided to name her after the caterpillar instead - the "I can't believe I got away with that" name of Hookah. Technically, the pillar was a male in the story, but -ah to mean sounds feminine because Afroasiatic languages

healed up

Forgot this sign

Beat this on my way back. I think I also fought a Raupi for 10 exp on my way back to heal. This zigzagoon went down in two hits, the burn was actually unneeded.

But that exp put us here

4-5/0-9/?/19-25/9-13/23-29

not that good Lux... ? is because even taking into account Scatterbug's capture (which new to this gen gives you exp and ev points just like beating it) the caluclator was spitting out errors... Just rounding up to 4 (4 evs = 1 point at level 50, I think) "fixes" it though, putting it at a solid 19.

same info, but better

Note how Atk is red and defense is blue...

in addition to IVs (although actually part of the same number), pokémon have natures - basically personality types that affect how their stats increase. You'd probably expect that someone with a hasty personality would be a little faster than average, right? same with pkmn. Our little Lux has a lonely nature... aww...

And Hookah's bashful... alright

Hookah's stats

IVs:

24-26/0-26/20-26/0-26/0-26/26

Maybe I'm a bit early to write off the little bug

Oh, here's the Raupi!

Ma first "not-story-y" fight, gainst this kid...

Youngster Austin!

This Zigzagoon's going down easy.

The color of the status bar gives you an idea of how much hp your oponent has. Under half is yellow, less than that is red. So if a move pushed a pokemon from full health to the yellow, you'll likely knock it out next turn! This way you don't have to guess if it looks like it's down more than 50% but isn't - it will stay green if it doesn't.

Kid's down. Don't even know how much lunch money I stole from him.

Welcome to Saintmoon forest, where

She'll join us, and heal us and everything.

Next time.

Note though - I said I was going to trade in a masterball in case I encountered a shiny, and I did. But I fucked it up a little - even though now's a perfect time to train up Hookah, she unfortunately ended up in a pc I can't access until the next town. With the ball, I'm pretty sure. There's also the side effect that I've seen over 400 pokémon in game now, which is odd cause it should be 720 ish. I just flubbed everything up

Full album link: https://imgur.com/a/pWN61
Last edited by Tovarisch Red Yoshi on April 22nd, 2015, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<tovakj> yes

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 22nd, 2015, 12:40 pm

Isocitration wrote:ma thumb best guest character

Also mom gets her own room? No more sleeping on the table cushions?

e: also is that a crack on the screen or hair?

it's a hair

I have long hair and am like blind or something

sorry

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 22nd, 2015, 4:06 pm

There's a borked image on my side about half way through the second one.

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » April 22nd, 2015, 5:41 pm

Hey, I doubt it'll happen (considering the second rule), but if you catch a Ralts/Kirlia or Budew/Roselia, could you name it after me? Sorry, those are two of my faves ^^;!

Aside from that...well, what types do you see me as? You're starting to know me pretty well, right :theart: ? I'd guess Fairy, Psychic (hence the Ralts line), Grass (preferably with Poison as well, but I think Poison fits me only if it's with Grass! Like, stuff like Roselia or Bulbasaur, not Koffing or something), Fire, and Ghost. Despite my name, though, I don't really think Rock or Ground fit me :undecided: .
Last edited by EarthPhantomTS on April 22nd, 2015, 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 22nd, 2015, 5:49 pm

EarthPhantomTS wrote:Hey, I doubt it'll happen (considering the second rule), but if you catch a Ralts/Kirlia or Budew/Roselia, could you name it after me? Sorry, those are two of my faves ^^;!

Aside from that...well, what types do you see me as? You're starting to know me pretty well, right :theart: ?

Well this is awkward. My all time favorite is ralts.

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » April 22nd, 2015, 5:51 pm

pholtos wrote:
EarthPhantomTS wrote:Hey, I doubt it'll happen (considering the second rule), but if you catch a Ralts/Kirlia or Budew/Roselia, could you name it after me? Sorry, those are two of my faves ^^;!

Aside from that...well, what types do you see me as? You're starting to know me pretty well, right :theart: ?

Well this is awkward. My all time favorite is ralts.

Maybe if he gets a male one, he should name it after you, then? Female ones go to me, alright? I know that most people evolve their male Kirlias into Gallades.
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 22nd, 2015, 5:55 pm

Truth of the matter is if he named a ralts after me I wouldn't want it to evolve. XD

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 22nd, 2015, 7:44 pm

I was going to give Pholtos priority over traditionally "cute" pokémon - azumarill, pikaclones, mincinno, etc. The ralts line actually kinda irks me (most humanshapes do tbh), but I'll be glad to m/f after you two.

With Earth I guess my theory would have been chthonian pokémon (whatever those might be; dusknoir, hell hound, Absol perhaps), and pokémon representing non-mammalian synapsids and non-avian sauropsid amniotes (= not amphibians, but reptiles, dinosaurs that aren't birds, pterosaurs, iguanadons, related animals that you think would be reptiles but aren't), adding somewhat to the chthonian aspects. So bulbas and snivies (even though snivies have opposite your personality type) and aerodactyls and charred lizards. Second to that would have been pokémon I believe are popular subjects of r34 - lopunny etc. I still like naming purple things after Alice, and I believe Iso's favourite mon is a particularly gracile grass type but I guess giving specific dominion over a subset of poison and grass isn't harmful.

EarthPhantom - Grass-Poison, maybe female "light" types, chthonian mons, non-mammalian synapsids and non-avian monapsid and duapsid amniotes, and anything I guess is particularly sexualized? With the name thing being Akkadian or Sumerian diety names. Avoiding Moses because gg drama, but maybe heroes too, like Noah or the king of Uruk

That work?

<tovakj> yes

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » April 22nd, 2015, 10:24 pm

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:I was going to give Pholtos priority over traditionally "cute" pokémon - azumarill, pikaclones, mincinno, etc. The ralts line actually kinda irks me (most humanshapes do tbh), but I'll be glad to m/f after you two.

With Earth I guess my theory would have been chthonian pokémon (whatever those might be; dusknoir, hell hound, Absol perhaps), and pokémon representing non-mammalian synapsids and non-avian sauropsid amniotes (= not amphibians, but reptiles, dinosaurs that aren't birds, pterosaurs, iguanadons, related animals that you think would be reptiles but aren't), adding somewhat to the chthonian aspects. So bulbas and snivies (even though snivies have opposite your personality type) and aerodactyls and charred lizards. Second to that would have been pokémon I believe are popular subjects of r34 - lopunny etc. I still like naming purple things after Alice, and I believe Iso's favourite mon is a particularly gracile grass type but I guess giving specific dominion over a subset of poison and grass isn't harmful.

EarthPhantom - Grass-Poison, maybe female "light" types, chthonian mons, non-mammalian synapsids and non-avian monapsid and duapsid amniotes, and anything I guess is particularly sexualized? With the name thing being Akkadian or Sumerian diety names. Avoiding Moses because gg drama, but maybe heroes too, like Noah or the king of Uruk

That work?

Ah, that sounds cool. Though I'm wondering how many of those sorts you'll meet. Of course, you know Gardevoir are also popular R34 targets :twink: :theart: !

Also, by that last bit, you mean Gilgamesh? Sorry, I'm new to this :undecided: . Also also, what do you mean by "female 'light' types"? Also also also, I think my wife is the reason why you're doing a dinosaur/reptile thing for me, but I can't help but think of what Raocow calls ponies when they show up :tstick2: :tbiggrin: (before the shitstorm of bronies and especially anti-bronies like that one guy with the Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow character for his avi starts storming).

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 22nd, 2015, 11:02 pm

Sargon lived a life essentially identical to Moses, yeah, gilgamesh.

Regarding the light type thing - pkmn lacks a true light type, but its psychics traditionally play the tropes found in other systems, with normal and such. Fairy happened which is the closest to a true light type but on the other hand abra etc cleanly would fit into say MTGs plains

or colorless, I'm dumb

<tovakj> yes

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » April 23rd, 2015, 12:02 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:Sargon lived a life essentially identical to Moses, yeah, gilgamesh.

*coughcough* Yeah, I can see what you mean there...I'm mildly on his side in Gamer Gate, but I'd prefer to stay as far from that drama as possible (especially since Horikawa chewed me out over it :undecided: ). Though tbh I'd prefer extra-Biblical names. Names like Noah, for me, honestly conjure up images of people who take this stuff way more seriously than me, who still believe the Flood literally happened, rather than just being a narrative element in a fictional story that has the same basis in fact that all mythology has. People like this guy: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Andrew_Schlafly. Or this guy: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind.

In short, don't confuse my symbolic worship of pagan Babylonian deities with the literalism movement in Christianity just because the Abrahamic religions arose in the same place as my religion :twink: .

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:Regarding the light type thing - pkmn lacks a true light type, but its psychics traditionally play the tropes found in other systems, with normal and such. Fairy happened which is the closest to a true light type but on the other hand abra etc cleanly would fit into say MTGs plains

or colorless, I'm dumb

Okay, so basically, in addition to Pokemon like Gardevoir and Abra, you're thinking Chansey, Togepi, and Fairy-type Pokes? I guess that works :tbiggrin: !

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 23rd, 2015, 10:04 am

Episode 2 - no promises

K...

Where we left off... So, apologies. I've done things off camera. Bad things. Fucky things. As I said, I put into effect a shiny clause - shinies are an alternate palatte for pokémon whose personality values (that number that determines IVs and nature and stuff) mod your trainer id and some secret information are less than 8 - which in Gen II and III was 1/8192. They're rare motherfuckers I'm going for them sorry. But I wasn't even going to risk losing them to rng.

The GTS - Global Trade Station - is open to you right away in this game. Which meant it was easy for me to put Hookah up for trade for something really not worth it - a level 100 female swampert - and boot up my copy of Alpha Sapphire to trade one of my tens of swamperts holding one of my extra masterballs over. Then using pokémon bank I deposited Hookah and took her back.

But I was stupid - I didn't have access to a storage pc, meaning I couldn't retrieve Hookah until after the forest - meanwhile, I had a level 100 swampert just hanging out for a while. I also deposited and retrieved every pokémon I could, which for some reason only bumped my pokédex up to some 450. But that caused some weirdness later on... and also netted 3 pokémon that actually are in fact Roza's (not Calem's, not Brendan's, not anyone's but hers) but are super op right now... I won't be using them, though.

Anyways, Shauna's going to be joining us for no real reason at all. She'll heal us for free though, except only if we ask.

Running a little right, I picked up this item.

Talked to a kid you can't see. He looks like Youngster Austin. Save frequently, kids.

And our encounter, ladies and gents!

Lux's low atk might have been a blessing here. It was easy to just scratch it to yellow and not OHKO, despite Lux being level 8 and the birdie being level 4.

Had a hard time with this name. Despite being red it's just flying, putting it in pholtos' territory. And I decided to go with diminuitives for his name theme. Trouble is I didn't really know a good name that fit a songbird off the top of my head. I looked at its Japanese name and thought I saw the perfect name though - Yayako; duplification and the Japanese diminuitive -ko suffix - a believable name. Trouble is, -ko's for girls. Its German name though is Dartiri, which is a pun on tirilieren, or to trill, and I thought i-i-i sounds cute, and -li is a dialectal version of -el, a diminuitive suffix on its own, which is also fused with the same -en element in -kin/-chen to get the -lein suffix, like in Fräulein or Brüderlein etc. So Tirili ~ lil' Tiri idk

In retrospect mighta gone with Spaetzli (Spätzel) instead, considering, you know, it means Sparrow for some reason

I'm maybe bad at this

Tirili's stats/info. He's level 4, 18/9/9/9/9/9 with no EVs, and has Big Pecks - this ability prevents his defense from being lowered a stage. He knows tackle - a low level normal attack like Scratch, and Growl - a move that lowers the opponent's attack 1 stage.
His nature is Relaxed - increased defense but reduced speed (bad). But feeding his info into a calculator yields:

IVs: 10 - 28 (okay) / 0 - 24 (literally anything) / 14 - 28 (above average) / 28 (great!) / 24 - 28 (very good!) / 0 (really bad!!!)

hmm

She and I continued east around the bend - there was a sign telling us explicitly that it was a dead end. Since the game likes to put items out there I used the "follow the wall" technique of never getting lost in labyrinths and just got a few more items.

like this

Eventually made our way back to the bozito brigade who ran on their own scripts - surprized I managed this. They basically just communicated their surroundings, Tierno talked obsessively about dancing, I think Tomato was fighting a youngster.

Then out of no where Shauna runs off into the bushes and comes back with a gift. Which doesn't make sense until you get the (hidden-) item finder later on. Oh well, it's a gift

Then fought this girl and her Pikachu. She's the trainer class female equivalent to the youngster. And she had some sort of snotty attitude about catching a pikachu. He fight though showcased a lot of battle mechanics.

First off, Pikachu doesn't make the same cry he did in Gen I - now he says his name, like the anime.

Second off - status conditions. Status conditions are inflicted in the game by certain moves, and they have a variety of effects - poisoning saps 1/6th of a pokémon's health each turn, sleep makes them unable to do anything at all, burn acts like poisoning (and I think makes pokémon move vulnerable to certain kinds of moves but idr), and paralysis halves the speed of the opponent and randomly prevents them from moving. Gross.

Second is supereffectiveness. A super effective move is a 2x atk boost from that elemental rock paper scissors thing. In this case, electric type moves are supereffective against flying types.

I expected something about shorts... Also I technically fought this guy first, but imgur screwed up the upload http://imgur.com/a/7wKj7

He had a purmel too.

Tirili levels fast. And goodly, he learned Quick Attack

Quick Attack is a generally great move. It's not very strong, but it pushes it into a higher priority as the game determines what move goes first.

The way stats are excuted depends on the stat. HP is simply your maximum health, and is pretty straitforward. Attack combines with the base power of physical attack moves, which is calculated against the target's defense to figure out how much damage it does. The same is true for Special attack and special defense, but for special moves. Lastly, there's speed. Normally speed is just compared - the higher number goes first, and if it's tied the game basically tosses a coin. But if the move has a higher priority, the game will try to execute the moves of the same priority bracket before moving to normal moves. Speed still matters if it's quick attack against quick attack, but Tirili will not be restricted to always being last now.

Lux had leveled up to 10 pretty early - close to my level 12 soft limit. That's why I switched to Tirili by the electric type onslaught.

Who was promptly in the same condition as soon as Lux.

On my way out the game kept confusing me by congratulating me on catching a pikachu - remember how the one girl was snotty about it?

Apparently despite being a mascot in our universe, in their universe it's such a hard-caught commodity that it becomes a serious status symbol, elevating high and proud the rich few who manage the terrific feat... or these are a bunch of grade-schoolers full of provincialism who can't quite get into being trainers or something and pikachu is nothing but the exp punching bag of the area (and a little rare therebecause).

Ah, yes, but then - I remembered - I traded over nearly every pokémon I have in order to try and trigger an effect early - if you fill the dex, it becomes somewhat easier to run across shinies. SO... the game just checks your dex, not your catches, pokémon with your name on it, not your party... interesting.

ja gern

At the end of the path there was another lass trainer, this time with a bunnelby and a weedle.

guarding a pokéball. Easy. But by now both Lux and Tirili were about level 10.

Mr. Perfect Appeared behind us like a creep, and complements us on our ability to ambulate

The these bozitos; Tierno goes on about how pokémon move and dance again like the oddbutt he is

Then she appears in the same creepy way but like she wasn't there right behind me 10 seconds ago

Is she doing that thing where the people befriend you only to pretend they don't know who the fuck you are when someone else sees them? no

We all sat out to Route 3 together, and then to good for this world informs us he made handy dandy notebooks for us all, bravissimo

Tomato explains things. It's true - every use of a move deducts one, unless under pressure (an ability, when it deducts 2).

Challenged by a preschooler, don't even know what I won from him.

incidentally it asks the question, what is a preschooler doing with pokémon? I'm 10 and only became a trainer yesterday...

Actually, they aren't trainers. It's more like mom and dad give them the pets to guard them incase anything big and scary comes along - the world is dangerous for children, like, really dangerous. And we just knocked out his protection and stole his lunch money

nice

evidence apropos

yep, won 67 cents from a 6 year old. We're de bomb

My encounter!!! An easy catch...

And now Tirili is level 10 :O

Dunsparce... is a weird pokémon. Like really weird. I don't even know what it is, so I filed it under its type: normal. It's evidentially not a bug type, who knew? That fell under Buttson,but in retrospect maybe this should have been Earth's first - Dunsparce is apparently based on a mythological feathered serpent...

-Cson didn't really seem to fit though; Dunsdottir is a girl. But in ancient Germanic naming customs actually made room for this, as it's still practiced today in Iceland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_name . So Duns' daughter it is.

Kept battling people as I saw them.

Weird versus Awkward! So eczite!

Tirili learned Peck - a low damage atk move, but he gets a STAB bonus - 1.5 - when he uses it!

Switch training - any pokémon exposed to battle gains experience. So if you have really low level pokémon to train up, you can have them lead your party into battle, and switch with someone OP who can stand to take a hit, and they'll split the experience points.

And, finally! Santalune.

First off, let's visit the Pokémon Center and retrieve poor Hookah!

Guess who greets us?

Bozissimo!

I healed first even though it was irrelevant... and then I got excited and scared and confused because PokéRus

Pokérus is a "virus" that actually just doubles the number of EVs you get in any battle and goes away after some time. But it's extremely rare - rarer than shininess. At first I thought maybe this explained the calculator errors I was having with Lux, but then I figured it out.

The upper three on the left are the three gifts Roza got for retrieving Hookah from the bank. So they're technically members of the team, but I won't use them unless I absolutely have to.

Below them though is Sedna, the Swampert I traded over holding the master ball. She's sort of an experienced fighter, she actually comes from a hack of pokémon emerald I made, where all I did was adjust the level curve really really high and add pokémon special/adventures (manga, a more normal shonen storyline than the preschoolish nondrama of the anime)-inspired events to the postgame. But as such, she's been infected with pokérus for a few years. No chance of it having spread, it wore off a long time ago.

More game breaking weirdness from having use bank long before actually catching much.

Like in Gen V, Pokémon Centers double as Pokémarts. Usually they have two clerks - one sells special items that vary city to city, the other normal adventuring gear. This mart specializes in X-items.

Recall moves like howl, growl, or tail whip, and how these moves affected stats? These items are those moves in a can - x attack increases the atk of the pkmn you use it on by one stage. You'll notice accuracy and a few others don't fit into the 6 categories so well defined by now (HP/ATK/DEF/SPATK/SPDEF/SPD) - they're hidden variables, constant for all pokemon, but some moves and abilities affect them, and these items boost them.

Now here's where fashion set in. The game lets you buy these items to change your appearance. I want you guys to be involved somehow, but I don't really know what to do to implement it. Items change each day, so I'm can't really just say "new town. have me buy something" either. If you have ideas, feel free to suggest something.

One idea - you guys could vote on a number 1-5, and then when I beat the gym of the town, I'll just buy whatever item is that many from the left, whatever it ends up being that day. Won't be too coordinated. But whatever

*shudders*

Zãtəlün

Interesting... the game gets really philosophical and stuff

And immeadiately contradicts itself.

Oh yeah - evolution. Basically, most pokémon are part of a "family" with some other pokémon. When it reaches a certain level or certain conditions are met, it permanently changes shape into another, usually getting stat boosts as it changes form. You can cancel it with b, like I'll be doing for any male ralts I find

The Gym leader; alright...

Gym leaders are sort of the bosses of the game. Beat one you get a badge which is one of 8 mcguffins you need to challenge the elite 4 - the end bosses. Each gym leader specializes in a particular type, and beating them usually earns you access to new moves, new items in shops, and makes outsider pokemon (such as those gotten in trades like Sedna; Hookah's fine because her id and secret data match Roza's, but so are the three Johto starters Roza won)

Viola specializes in bug-type pokémon.

This person tells you all about the badges and their effects... all I can say is...

This man offers to trade something we don't have for something we don't have. This pokémon would act like an outsider - it would gain experience faster, but it would become unpredictable and no listen to commands if got too strong.

This person gave us a great ball. Like that superpotion earlier, it's better analogously to the pokeball. In fact almost all disposable items come in that series - (base) - super - hyper - max; but translation issues obscured this pattern, turning superballs into great balls (but still super potion), hyper into ultra, and master for max.

This game lets you sit! like, it's weird but everyone loves that little touch.

Entering the Trainer's school now. Almost every game has one of these, where it gives you some extra clues on mechanics of the game, but offers you some basic ideas of the kinds of strategies you need to win.

Like the elemental rock-paper-scissors thing

Or the Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) I mentioned earlier.

Sensei even gave us some items I'll never use

and some defenseseseseseseses

I was just a few minutes away from an hour of play, ending the episode. So, I left to go train. But I noticed a few things I didn't talk about earlier.

There's an item behind this bush - but I can't get to it yet, the bush is in the way... if only I could cut it down...

You can also interact with the water; it's not just an invisible wall...

So my target was to get everyone up to level 10 - already done for Lux and Tirili. In the process of leveling up Hookah though...

She evolved.

Into Spewpa!

And so, we're ending things in the Santalune Pokémon Center.

But first, the stats on everyone so far:

Hookah - F - Spewpa (!)
31/11/19/12/13/14
Ability - Shed Skin (may randomly lose status conditions like burn or paralysis)
Bashful (neutral (would increase and decrease atk))

Moves:

Tackle - Normal - a weak physical atk
String Shot - Bug - status move, lowers targets speed 1 stage
Stun Spore - Grass - status move, low accuracy, paralyzes target
Protect - Normal - status move, prevents Hookah from being hit that turn; likely to fail if used more than once in a row.

Dunsdottir - F - Dunsparce
42/21/19/18/20/17
Ability - Run away (ensures escape when trying to run from a wild pokémon battle; it can fail depending on speed I think)
Hasty (+Speed -Defense)

Pursuit - Dark - weakish move that doubles power if the opponent tries to switch or run away | Taught over Rage - a weak Normal move that gets stronger if you take damage; not a good playstyle for a nuzlocke I think
Defense Curl - Normal - status; increases defense
Rollout - Rock - a phys move that attacks over several turns, getting stronger each successive throw. Very powerful but very dangerous
Spite - Ghost - a status move that drops the target pokémon's last move's PP by 4

Lux - M - Fenniken
30/16/14/21/19/21
Ability - Blaze (increases the power of fire type moves when HP falls below 1/3)
Lonely (+ATK-DEF)

Scratch - Normal - weak phys atk
Tail Whip - Normal - status, lowers opponent's def by 1 stage
Ember - Fire - weak sp atk, may inflict burn on target (STAB)
Howl - Normal - raises atk 1 stage

Tirili - M - Fletchling
32/17/18/16/16/18
Ability - Big Pecks (prevents defense being lowered by opponent's moves)
Relaxed (+DEF-SPEED)

Tackle - Normal - like scratch
Growl - Normal - status, lowers opponent's atk by 1
Quick Attack - Normal - high priority
Peck - Flying - phys atk (STAB)

Till Next Time - The Gym!
Last edited by Tovarisch Red Yoshi on April 24th, 2015, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 23rd, 2015, 10:29 am

Man when I saw that fedora pic I was worried for a second.

I always feel weird about never using items like X attack and such. Like I just plain forget they exist.

e: oh and for the clothes stuff I vote uhh, 4 (I'm assuming it won't be the same stuff for sale next time you play?)

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Isocitration wrote:Man when I saw that fedora pic I was worried for a second.

I always feel weird about never using items like X attack and such. Like I just plain forget they exist.

e: oh and for the clothes stuff I vote uhh, 4 (I'm assuming it won't be the same stuff for sale next time you play?)

It might be, it might not, I don't even know

<tovakj> yes

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 23rd, 2015, 10:45 am

Could I make a suggestion? I was wondering why the images were taking so long to load since Imgur hasn't had many loading issues so I opened one in a new tab only to realize they're like 3000x3000 resolution. You should resize them to like 1000x1000 or so at the biggest even though it would take more work. The site's theme resizes them to 852x852 exactly. Resizing it to 852x852 would reduce the image size by over 12x each. Considering this is an extremely image heavy thread that's something I'd very strongly recommend.
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 23rd, 2015, 10:55 am

i need to figure out how to do that by script

<tovakj> yes

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 23rd, 2015, 10:58 am

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bulkima ... ecommended

You could try something like that. If you have Photoshop though I think there's a way to do it there too though I'm not sure how exactly. I don't know if Paint.net or Gimp can do it. (I'm fairly sure Pdn can't. Gimp probably can, at least with a plugin.)
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 23rd, 2015, 11:02 am

i'll see what I can do next time or later or in the morning in a few hours

probably something like pacman -Syyu && pacman -Ss resize

funny thing - I'm actually taking pictures with my bad tiny cover camera, note 4 too powerful

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 23rd, 2015, 11:12 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:
Isocitration wrote:Man when I saw that fedora pic I was worried for a second.

It might be, it might not, I don't even know

Okay in that case changing vote to 2 just in case

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » April 23rd, 2015, 12:48 pm

Shit, Dunsparce was based off WHAT?!

Buttson

Postby Buttson » April 24th, 2015, 5:45 am

This is actually an amazing team for so early in the game, I never noticed before but XY's early game pokemon are tops.
Shame about Dunsparce's ability, with serene grace it can do hilarious things like getting a 60% chance to make the opponent flinch every turn. Fletchling can be respectable without gale wings though and Hookah will grow into something truly terrifying if it survives to end game.
Image Dicks

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 24th, 2015, 5:52 am

5th image down is borked this time. :3

Looking good so far, I'm starting to understand your naming scheme here.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 24th, 2015, 6:46 am

i hate myself

<tovakj> yes

EarthPhantomTS

Postby EarthPhantomTS » April 24th, 2015, 6:58 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:i hate myself

Hey, don't forget to add my name and stuffs to the "Naming Scheme" box :tstick2:!

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 24th, 2015, 7:14 am

WOW my camera decided not to take like half the pictures, including the most important ones

nevermind, for some reason control c + v only took like 44 of a 100 pictures :failfish:

<tovakj> yes

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » April 24th, 2015, 7:34 am

Soo all it right and dandy? I just caught up reading it all. It's quite entertaining. Although I understand that the natures contribute about +/- 10% in stats and the EVs are +1 in a stat per 4 EV, How significant are the Individual values? Because aren't they are smaller than both of the other stat modifiers?

They are fun to track with something like this, but I would think that even in Nuzlocke they would not make a tremendous difference.

I kinda decided against any of the maddening end-game content of these games after receiving many many beatdowns in the Sapphire Battle Tower.

Also I'm really surprised that the game gives you access to Dunsparce so early. Normally the pokemon option (even in non nuzlockes) super early on are very bad.

Buttson

Postby Buttson » April 24th, 2015, 7:41 am

Zummorr wrote:Although I understand that the natures contribute about +/- 10% in stats and the EVs are +1 in a stat per 4 EV, How significant are the Individual values? Because aren't they are smaller than both of the other stat modifiers?

IV's give 1 stat per IV at level 100, so not quite as significant as a good nature or a proper EV spread but still a huge difference if you're competitively battling, especially in speed. For a playthrough though it's just kind of whatever though.
They also determine what type the move hidden power is which can sometimes give you a really useful bit of super effective coverage on something that would otherwise resist everything you have but the move itself isn't very good, only slightly stronger than a tackle.

Dicks

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 24th, 2015, 10:23 am

Thread moved cause Iso forgot to after changing the subforum name, lol.
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 24th, 2015, 10:52 am

Episode 3: i hate myself

No stupid shenanigans this time; started where we left off

Our team so far! Lux, Hookah, Tirili, and Dunsdottir.

Time to take on... the gym!!!

But first we're blocked by a person... hmm, what could she want? autographs?

No, of course not, you see the image. She's come to talk to us about her lord and savior, roller skates, and how they'll save us (from not looking stylish). But we're loser, and as such we lack the divine grace of roller skates, so she takes pity on us - we beat her, we win the thingamajigs

This is like name Jesús or Mohammed for those who follow the good-spell of Roller Skates

Her battle at least lets me describe Hookah's strategem a little bit - paralyze with stun spore

Then chip away with tackle.

She gives us like $1.87 and then like $50~¥6000 in foot gear, crazy awesome

The skates are speedrunner's nightmare. Super fast, sure, but super inaccurate and awkward to control. You wonder off path pretty quickly for a game that snaps you in place...

motion! gatta go fayest :volcania:

Finally! Time to take on the Gym!

Tried to get a picture of the odd perspective as the camera showed the room off but failed. thought the picture was still neat though idk

This guy... this guy...

Yeah, so he'll stalk us like a creeper and lead us in to every gym. He gives us the details - this is a bug gym, fire's good against it. And tells us to climb down a pole in the back

Which we promptly slip off and land in a giant spider's nest, because Spiders Georg is only an outlier

Couldn't get it, but the web bounces, which is both neat and nightmarish if you know what vibrating webs mean to spiders

Tried showing off that if you run against where the thick lines go thin, the game won't let you. I don't really understand how she's balancing anyways, but aparantly she's just that cool. Go roza

The water drops fall off if you walk over them. Nothing happens, but it's neat.

First gymling - a kid with a ledyba. I wanted to get Hookah to level 12 by the end of the gym, and Lux was really OP for this gym (almost like swampert against Wattson but not quite), so I get switch training in. Hookah led, I'd switch to Lux, and sweep.

The pathway was a simple G shape, starting at the little backwards gamma part attached to the C. The next kid had a Spewpa (like Hookah) that Lux wiped out even faster. Lux was the star of the Gym, definately.

So much so that he got to level 12. I didn't have any strong rules about level restrictions though - just that I want to try and not use pokémon more than one or two levels over the Gym leader to prevent me just sweeping through. But even then, this happened in the gym, it just wasn't that big a deal.

At the top of the G she surprized me, giving me a spiel about spiders.

But her team was vespiforms. This is a bug gym and they're not even bugs too - yeah they're at least insects but bugs have their upper wings hardened into a shell. It's all confused about arthropods and this is bad because I know an entymologist who gives me shit about this stuff

Anyways, Dunsdottir swept them up with a rollout or two.

Finally, the gym leader. Story significant battles like this I want to take pictures of every turn, so yeah

She makes a lot of photography puns like every other word she says

She ends up waxing philosophical, because that what's you do when you see 10 year olds, right?

Turns out she just wants it all for the sensual gratification. I don't know why it offends me, but it does somehow

YES MAAM

stop talking!!!

So, first off, surskit. I really like surskit for some reason; I made a point of catching one and using it in my AlphaSapphire playthrough... Although it was all for nothing apparently

I tried one last time to switch train Hookah into evolving in the bug gym, so I switched to

Then surskit used bubble or water sport and I remembered Surskit's bug/water, Lux is weak to it

As firey as he is though, Tirili isn't a fire type, and by having a Flying move he gets STAB on, he made quick work of surskit

I switched back to Lux because I felt like I owed him some meat, to be met with

Viola's Vivillon, a mariposa pokémon sorta like butterfree or beautifly with a gimmick I'll explain later.

The two were oddly closely matched from my point of view. I basically had Lux spam ember against it

Meanwhile, it used infestation

Lux got pretty hurt due to a critical hit - randomly, you or your opponent will do twice the normal damage of the move, without the effects of stat modifications. They're nasty, and often game enders.

CPUs can use items as well, so Viola healed up her Vivillon.

And I healed Lux, with what turned out to be my last potion (remember the super potion? it was that). Spammed ember again, hoping to get a burn, but nothing. He did, however, win

And leveled up

And leveled up

Lux learned Flame Charge - this move hits harder than ember, and raises his speed! This is really good move for so early *sniff*

So she gave $16.04

The badge, which pokémon below level 30 magically respect

And a TM containing the move she kept spamming.

TMs or Technical Machines are items that when you use allow you to teach the contained move at any time - no need for leveling up. Fortunately in Gen VI, unlike in generations before IV, they don't disappear when you use them. I consider them a part of the definition of 100% for this game because of that; I'll strive to get them all at some point.

With that badge, we're outta here, as he advises us to go up route 4 and on to Professor Sycamore.

But first...

I think I'll buy something every gym. Turns out they do change - although 4 was the same fedora from yesturday. Iso was the only one to vote, and luckily he voted for 2, so I bought 2

A cycling cap and button

This little changing room (I guess our heroine has a bald spot or something and needs privacy to put on a hat?? fuck cancer) doubles as an "accidentally buy everything" booth whereas going up the item itself locks you into a dialog that only works on the one item. But it lets you actually change into the item right away as well.

Here we be!

And what we look like chibified in game. Don't ask me why she has heterochromia in this image, I don't know.

So, with shopping out of the way, we can finally venture on to...

Route 22! Yeah, to the east (right of the gym) of the city, there's another trail we can go down. Which also means a new encounter, and new trainers to heal us up.

We meet a new class of trainer - the rising star! Nothing of real importance. She had a Litleo, which I wanted to show off as a gen VI pokémon, but it died and finished its animation before I managed to pick my phone back up.

Our encounter! Azurill is part of Marill's evolutionary family as the baby pokémon. Fun fact: before this generation they had small chance of changing genders on evolution - the personality value that determines IVs and everything? The games use that to figure out the pokémon's sex as well - different evolutionary lines have different ratios, but Marill due to an oversight was the only one to have the ratios for one stage be different than others.

Spamming tackle was gentle on her, catching her was easy. While water is my domain she's exactly the sort of "adorable" thing that gets pholtos' domain to override. So I went with a diminutive - on Mariya, Marushka. Slavic, but a really cute name imo.

has nothing to do with the witch girl named marja (say something like marzhya mɐrʲa jɛrʲɪdʲinɐ) i portrayed in an rpg with friends back in highschool

Ran into someone else, a Lass named Elin

She had two pokémon, a marill and a goldeen, one that Hookah could take down on her own, one that Tirili needed to hop in for. Hookah was out first, so she got to 12 mid fight.

This made me feel horrible about myself. I felt like a bitch

But Hookah didn't.

Yep. She evolved into a Vivillon, with a different pattern than Viola's.

Vivillon's gimmick is that they have different wing colorations depending on where your 3ds believes it's located. I have a relatively common high plains pattern, Viola's was a moderately rare meadow pattern. I would have set my 3ds for a rare variety, like the icy snow pattern, but that would have fucked with the eshop.

I also wanted to show something off about the mechanics - pokémon don't evolve in battle, only after the battle.

For the record, in this generation, if they reach the point where they can evolve but faint after that, they still evolve afterward, which can increase their hp (and thus revive them). If this happens, I won't count it as a death.

Anyways, Hookah learned Struggle Bug, which is an awesome move for her. Image says all you need to know.

This is back down near where I caught Marushka. South was a mysterious item I couldn't get to. Hmm...

Stood between these two. The girl on the right just talks about the rhyhorn races because that's a thing now, but didn't battle. I think he did the same thing, but a clone of his... oh no...

Look, I messed this fight up. It's my fault.

Riolu's a fairly powerful pokémon, not one to take lightly, but I did. For some reason I thought it had the same typing as Lucario, which it evolves into, so I switched from (I think Dunsdottir now) to Lux.

It then got off a critical hit with something like pursuit. Alright, no big deal; I used a pair of Flame Charges which like quadrupled my speed. It was now that I noticed I didn't have any potions. I should have switched to Tirili with his super effective STAB peck, but by now I'd seen like 3 of Riolu's moves and believe it or not most CPU pokémon only have 2 or 3 moves. I was so much faster at this point that I didn't think it would matter.

The Riolu pulled out its 4th move: quick attack. Which honestly I forgot it learned, much less started with...

Lux fainted. And it's my fault. I wasn't careful, and now, in episode 3, we have our first death of the series, and one of my favorite pokémon too (of all time, seriously I really like Fenniken's line)

Probably shouldn't have named him after someone with great and fantastic dreams who was slaughtered early in her political effects. He lived gloriously, but briefly. Poor thing :(

Tirili avenged him with a STAB Super effective peck

This is the motherfucker who took Lux down, btw

After depositing Lux and buying some potions I came back and plowed through the rest of the trainers on the route without any problem. That's part of why I botched the Riolu fight so badly - everyone else on the route was bad.

I wasn't sure if I'd shown off these trainer classes yet - behold the eyebrows on that guy. Also defeated a Lass, before reaching the end of the route.

The entire region is shaped like a giant wheel, complete with spokes in the middle, the routes we're *supposed* to be on. So I just found endgame. Sensibly they prevent me from committing sudoku right here for my shameful loss of Lux

They don't even let me go east, to other postgame...

Tried running off to the next area, was stopped by this chick - Viola's sister. Random fact - I thought she was a dude when I first played. Didn't even pick up on it this playthrough - until bulbapedia mentioned that Viola had a sister. I really don't know how I did that - I didn't for some reason pick up on that this character is the same as the reporter you encounter later, and I guess Alba didn't set off my "this is the feminine form of Albus" alarm which is really odd because German is very strict on naming habits. I don't know though... Omega Ruby has a character named Tabitha who looks like this though: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tabitha and it's a Japanese game originally anyways - as strict as the conservative society's gender roles are, it's particular conceptions of masculinity and femininity hold over feudalistic attitudes had some intuitions owing to strong valuations of nobility and beauty and to centuries and centuries of Mahayana Buddhist, Taoist, and indigenous thought alien to the west and have an avoidance-politeness culture anyways and all of this adds up to a society more "comfortable with their masculinity" or rather just androgynous from our perspective anyways so I expect male characters that look effeminate and female characters that look... also feminine but whatever. dios mio

Anyways, Camera bag I thought was a formal cape/vest thing like conductors wear gives us the exp share.

Basically, if it's on, whenever an opponent's pokémon faints, the experience is cut and given to all team members, regardless of whether they fought or not. It makes the game pathetically easy this generation, and the actual idea is you're supposed to bother to turn it off (in my original playthrough, I didn't and only had one faint in story the whole game). While Gen III's only effected the pokemon equipped with the item, the remakes had this one, and my solution was to only use it for story battles - gym leaders, rivals, baddies, and such. Had a lot of fun using it that way, since it felt like everyone participated and teamwork and so on, but this can still lead to overpowering teams early.

I'll likely be keeping it off, except for training.

Speaking of, I only had 10 minutes left of my planned time. I decided to call it here, and went off to train.

Back from Training, in the Santalune Pokémon center, I decided to show off my team now:

I also wanted to show off some aspects of Pokémon Amie.

Pokémon Amie is feature added in Gen VI that basically allows you to play with your pokémon like pets. You can pet them, which shows affection, or feed them cupcakes (they get hungry but you never see any effect of it), or play one of three minigames with them - a berry matching game where you use your stylus to drag berries to matching thought balloons over the pokémon "wanting" them, but over a time limit and the pokémon go away - a bouncing game where you use the stylus to tap away falling balls of yarn - and a jigsaw except not jiggy shaped puzzle game under a time limit that I'm bad at.

It's actually pretty hard to get good pictures of it because of the time limit-everything moving aspects of it

Thing is, if pokémon have good Amie values, they'll affect battles where they'll withstand hits better or have a higher critical hit chance or do more damage with super effective attacks. That's against the spirit of a nuzlocke.

I figured it would make for a good way to torture myself on deaths though. Earn at least 2 hearts

TLDR - Main highlights today: *Beat Viola, the first Gym leader
*Explored Route 22
*Hookah evolved into a Vivillon
*Caught an Azurill named Marushka
 *Lux fainted due to my bad playing  

The gallery if you just want to look at that: [url]imgur.com/a/39h6p[/url] Major spoilers though

also you can't embed sp tags, who knew
Last edited by Tovarisch Red Yoshi on April 24th, 2015, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 24th, 2015, 11:47 am

For some reason I really love that you tell us the price of stuff in USD (or whatever dolares you mean them to be)

Ah pokemon amie, or as my time on the internet has taught me, where you go to molest your pokes.

(also :msad: )

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 24th, 2015, 12:23 pm

The resized images are tons better. They're around 1/20th the filesize they were before. (Around 50 or so kb on average versus about a megabyte on average.)
💙💙💙

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 24th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Isocitration wrote:For some reason I really love that you tell us the price of stuff in USD (or whatever dolares you mean them to be)

Ah pokemon amie, or as my time on the internet has taught me, where you go to molest your pokes.

(also :msad: )

There was a day right before Majora's Mask 3D came out where I started fudging around in economics for East Asia. Earlier I read that at least at one point, South Korean Won was worth 10:1 Japanese Yen, or 5 Mao (the cents of the Chinese Yuan (Ren Min Bi)). And I was kinda surprized at how different the currencies turned out even though they're the same word - yuan sounds like wyen where the wy are pronounced at the same time. Korean went with the w sound and got won out of the word, while Japanese got y and got yen out of the word.

I was thinking about if people considered it when making games, and wondered about how could prices be intuitive at all to people who didn't grow up in the system. Like money doesn't really make sense to me right now - I don't make a lot of purchases and inflation's been such that when I learned the value of things $10 was something at the upper end of you could part with but $20 was something super expensive; nowadays it's more like 15$ is that upper bound and things don't start getting crazy until $25.

Then I was thinking about price systems in video games and how some seemed completely random. Rupees, for example, make no sense - the population acts like you can live off R20~30 a day (at poverty levels at least), but the ease that Link acquires them is completely crazy, even if you think the Picori/Minish were instructed by the goddesses to pass them along to the hero. I used to think something like maybe Zelda in her wisdom was dealing with rapid inflation at one point and decided to try a fixed exchange rate by tying money directly to crop yields (and rupees would be like sap or candied grains(???)) so inflation and deflation happened alongside famine etc but the more I thought about it the dumber the idea seems.

But then I was looking at the prices of lemonade and water from vending machines a while back in white 1, and realized - hey, Japan's gone through some weird inflation/deflation since 96 (yugioh, my only real experience with yen was from the amount Ushio demanded), and this was even after I had been reading about other things like how, adjusted for inflation, the gamecube is the cheapest video game system ever released. So I popped it into a calculator, and, yeah, that's about how much a lemonade would cost in Japan.

Then it just became weird thinking about all the different fantasy items in terms of yen, because I could think about them in terms of dollars. And pokéballs are something you could get for the same price as an arizona tea...

EDIT: this reasoning also has something to do with the recent death of Singapore's dictator and his economic policies

<tovakj> yes

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 24th, 2015, 3:29 pm

RIP

Also for the third time, you have an image issue. This time you didn't turn a url into a picture. Bout half way through, middle of fight against butterfly.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 25th, 2015, 3:50 am

fyi: likely no epi today, and from now on episodes might be shorter because of how vital it is I get episodes out right away but how long it takes

<tovakj> yes

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 29th, 2015, 11:44 am

as you might have seen, the conversion process for today's episode destroyed it entirely

don't know what I'm going to do now

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 29th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Just one of the many goddamn technical issues that seem to happen frustratingly often in the LP world. It's a hell of a bummer losing a whole episode, I know.

Since you can't really redo the events or anything, you could just give us a synopsis of what happened. That should be fine, I think.

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”