Suddenly...Sonic?

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
Speedless

Re: Suddenly...Sonic?

Postby Speedless » April 11th, 2015, 2:24 am

Man, between Metapod on a spring there and those other guys dropping down on a thread like Kakuna in Pokemon Snap, Wacky Workbench Zone seems to think it's Viridian Forest or something. Also, man, are these levels expansive! I'm wondering if that ten-minute time limit is going to become an issue later on.

As for that music in the past, that's the music raocow used for the high-contrast elevator down in the phoenix pit! It's interesting to hear it in its natural habitat.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 11th, 2015, 5:46 am

Speedless wrote:Also, man, are these levels expansive! I'm wondering if that ten-minute time limit is going to become an issue later on.

This came pretty close to happening in the next zone! Partially due to the way the stage just is, and partially due to me wasting time looking for the mean bean machine in the past.
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » April 13th, 2015, 12:32 am

I watched your last video up on the 12th. What medium are you using to play? Because if it's the actual CD version, then would you appreciate a savefile with all the "time gems" collected?

Also, going into the past/future was possible within special places on the level. You would have to know them by the strategies from the previous levels. Playing only 10 minutes per day would have probably interfered with a person's ability to kinda pick up on that. In short, use the techniques that you used on previous levels to travel on the last level.

Take a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeutyr5zTPU This is the video you just uploaded btw.

Take a look at 16:45. You have a red spring on the bottom left, and a yellow spring on the top left. There's a bit of platform and a red spring on the bottom right. What' s to stop you from bouncing back and forth between the red and yellow spring on the left there? Did you know that would work if you held left? (EDIT: I watched the video twice, you actually DID a full minute earlier at 15:45)

Also, you can also speed on the funky wheels by pressing "Down" and turning into a ball, then going forward. Running sonic runs off the wheel, spinning sonic sticks to it. Although I may be remembering Sonic 3.

HERE'S WHERE IT GETS TRICKY. YOU HAVE TO RUN TO START THE TACHYON BUILDUP. So you would RUN off the left, and get rekt. If you simply jump, you would bounce back and forth, but go no where. Once you start running, you simply have to keep running. If you touch the ground, not running it cancels. Therefore, the game actually requires you to abuse the mechanic and stay in the air by bouncing up and down. If you stop bouncing, the tachyon surge will stop. Or- at least... this is how I did it back in the day. I remember - running into a 45­º springboard, being bounced up and away, and running back into it in mid air, only to be bounced back and away, to, intutn run back into it - when I played this game in the past, and this achieved temporal warp for me.

Also, why not sonic3? and knuckles? That game is like 99¢ at a carwash these days. And Sonic Heroes for PC is 5.99 at gamestop.

Well,... anyway...
Eat A steak! ^_^,
-18C

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 14th, 2015, 2:30 am

please don't feel back about abusing savestates to get the gemeralds/good futures, Iso
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 14th, 2015, 2:48 am

You can't not make me feel back about that!

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 14th, 2015, 3:17 am

Isocitration wrote:You can't not make me feel back about that!

do you think a massage would help?
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » April 14th, 2015, 3:22 am

Also Iso maybe react to Japan/EU OST for bad futures as well?

This game has too many songs.
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 14th, 2015, 3:30 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:do you think a massage would help?

Well, if you're offering! :kreygasm:
Lead Luigi wrote:Also Iso maybe react to Japan/EU OST for bad futures as well?

This game has too many songs.

I want to but we'll see because it seems to be a pain getting back sometimes.

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario

Postby Lead Luigi » April 14th, 2015, 3:45 am

Maybe savestate at the start of a zone to find out where to time travel, go to the future first, then go to the past in subsequent runs?
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 14th, 2015, 3:56 am

if he really wanted to do a full lp, let's see

7 zones in 3 acts

4 states each (bad future, past, present, good future) except the boss acts, which are entirely dependent on the previous two stages

(4*4*1)^7=268,435,456 combinations of victory conditions

square that for loss conditions

Chaos emeralds?

this involves math I don't want to do this tired

<tovakj> yes

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 15th, 2015, 4:20 am

I really loved the tags on today's video for some odd reason

<tovakj> yes

Buttson

Postby Buttson » April 15th, 2015, 4:52 am

The past music for Collision Chaos reminds me a lot of Drakengard's OST only without all the oh god why make it stop that comes along with everything Drakengard. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUMCHw4EgZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEs835JoHHI
Image Dicks

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 16th, 2015, 7:42 am

Is the game going to do a thing where it makes you go into the future to go to present in a way not accessible from the present you start in so you can go to the past

<tovakj> yes

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » April 17th, 2015, 3:36 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:Is the game going to do a thing where it makes you go into the future to go to present in a way not accessible from the present you start in so you can go to the past

You mean the one, lone past sign in a square hole in the mountain, but in the future, the hole avalanches, so you go to the present from the future to get the sign and then to the past before they dug the hole?
The short answer is no. To make an area like this, it would be too obvious a puzzle, and there is no ability to gain enough tachyon. Also, consider if you stop half-way through a charge up? You'd be stuck in this area. They don't have closed off areas that do not lead forward for this reason.

But the thought had long crossed my mind, it it would make for a killer good level hack/edit of the game...

Just remember the age-old "control the events of time travel" paradox. You can never go back in time to stop Iso from stealing your girlfriend... even with a time machine. The same is true for your scenario.

-18C

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 17th, 2015, 4:15 am

EighteenCharacters wrote:
Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:Is the game going to do a thing where it makes you go into the future to go to present in a way not accessible from the present you start in so you can go to the past

You mean the one, lone past sign in a square hole in the mountain, but in the future, the hole avalanches, so you go to the present from the future to get the sign and then to the past before they dug the hole?
The short answer is no. To make an area like this, it would be too obvious a puzzle, and there is no ability to gain enough tachyon. Also, consider if you stop half-way through a charge up? You'd be stuck in this area. They don't have closed off areas that do not lead forward for this reason.

But the thought had long crossed my mind, it it would make for a killer good level hack/edit of the game...

Just remember the age-old "control the events of time travel" paradox. You can never go back in time to stop Iso from stealing your girlfriend... even with a time machine. The same is true for your scenario.

-18C

Not quite but close, I guess?

I mean like here's what things look like

Past:

AAAAV
AAAAV

Present:

AABBV
AAAAV

Future:
AAAAV
AAAAV

Where if something's of the same letter, it's accessible from other parts of the stage of the same letter, and the past sign is in BB. But VV is always accessible and represents robotnik's sign, so you can always complete the game no matter where you are.

Which I guess is similarish to what you said, but no "unwinnable" conditions and because it would take up like a quarter of the stage it wouldn't have trouble building up tachyons.

And the paradox makes no sense in the context of this game; violating the paradox is the *point* of this game.

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 17th, 2015, 5:03 am

Wooo ragequit wacky workbench act 1. Didn't figure out how to actually get inside the place with the thing. My best guess is that you have to time travel from the future in an exact spot to get in there, then somehow time travel while in there to the past? I didn't see how this was at all feasible though and lost all my lives navigating that hell of a zone.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 17th, 2015, 5:31 am

woohoo no idea

maybe watch a hundsky% speedrun and see if you get an idea? hopefully it's not horrible glitch zone needed

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 17th, 2015, 8:59 am

Okay I figured it out. Quite simple really, just do something that normally would instant kill yourself! Now why wouldn't I have tried that before?

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » April 18th, 2015, 12:51 am

Tovarisch Red Yoshi wrote:
EighteenCharacters wrote:

-18C

Not quite but close, I guess?
I mean like here's what things look like
Past:         Present:         Future:
AAAAV         AABBV         AAAAV
AAAAV         AAAAV         AAAAV
Where if something's of the same letter, it's accessible from other parts of the stage of the same letter, and the past sign is in BB. But VV is always accessible and represents robotnik's sign, so you can always complete the game no matter where you are.
Which I guess is similarish to what you said, but no "unwinnable" conditions and because it would take up like a quarter of the stage it wouldn't have trouble building up tachyons.
And the paradox makes no sense in the context of this game; violating the paradox is the *point* of this game.edited for space

How realavent a video Iso just uploaded! He was trying to get in a hole with a "present" sign from the future, to get to the past. The problem is "getting stuck" That's why the "pipes" were accessable from the inside only. The beta testers surely said "We would need an escape", so one-way hatches were invented- to Iso's demise because he wanted to get in that hole sooo badly! The only way in has to be from an openly accessable position, unless you would get stuck forever. That's why they couldn't play about with this fantastic idea of yours. I'm guessing they probably tried.

As for the paradox, it is valid- I was unclear as to what to gain from it. If Iso steals your girlfriend, you would use a time machine to go back in time and bonk him in the brain so he wouldn't steal your girlfriend;... so you would still have your girlfriend and would never need to go back in time to bonk him in the brains, so temporal-you wouldn't exist so he would steal your girlfriend. Thus, if Iso wants to steal your girlfriend, you can never stop him no matter what time you are in. The idea I was jesting is not to mess with time travel :-3

But I feel compeled to explore your idea of the temporal 7-day paradox (What your idea is actually called). There must be a way to prevent backtracking effectively. If you do (gravity is a simple enough solution at the end) then you must find away of preventing trapping your player either in the level, or the time period. Take this layout.

A = Accessable, B = Barricaded Area, V = Victory.
Simple hidden area in the present:
AAAAAAAAAAAAV
AAAAAAAAAAAAV
ABBBBBBBBBBBBV²
This can only work with 2 goal signs or a goal sign accessable from an implausable, unreachable height. If it did, a future/past like this:
Future:                       Past:
AAAAAAAAAAAAV         AAAAAAAAAAAAV
AAAAAAAAAAAAV         AAAAAAAAAAAAV
AAAAAAAAAAAAV²       AAAAAAAAAAAAV² 
would work, BUT, while you wouldn't be stuck in the present level, you would be stuck in the present time (should you run out of signs). If you don't mind making a frustrating game where your players don't have savestates, and could get stuck in a time, only to die to time out, praying you didn't hit a check point, or continue and give up ever seeing the good ending, then sure- it would be VERY rewarding to solve... like in Romhack quality. But because the game was meant for kids, and adults that like flashy title screens, it's unlikely the developers could do much with the concept.

However, it's not a garbage idea- ho ho.. far from it. It would make an excellent peice of entertainment if done properly. It's like a peice of land with a fence. You have moon-jump boots and a shovel. The ground has a cave underneath. The air/sky is wildly accessable. The cave underneath is wildly accessable. You can't get through the fence as it is made with a solid cardborardium alloy. So, jumping in the fence, or digging a hole in the cave, and a hole under the fenced area seem plausible. The trick is not loosing your shovel and moon boots afterward.

But now I'm just rambling. On open forum no less. *sees alice with a whip*
Gotta Run ^_^ A-ho ho ho 18Cya'l8r!
-EighteenCharacters

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 18th, 2015, 1:12 am

EighteenCharacters wrote:But now I'm just rambling. On open forum no less. *sees alice with a whip*
-EighteenCharacters

I prefer hammers so there probably wouldn't be much running.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 18th, 2015, 1:56 am

Watch out Tova I'm going to steal your girlfriend and there's nothing you can do!

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 18th, 2015, 2:02 am

EighteenCharacters wrote:stuff

yesh someone who write like I do

Isocitration wrote:Watch out Tova I'm going to steal your girlfriend and there's nothing you can do!

min linker hand? ic thaghde, that thu gäy waz? ...also, ic see...

<tovakj> yes

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 18th, 2015, 5:15 am

just got around to this episode

tova forgives you of all your sins

that was a dirt move on game's part, you're utterly blameless

<tovakj> yes

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » April 19th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Iso, I rather like the presented suggestion.
Here is mine: 1) Sonic 3 as Sonic 2) Sonic & Knuckles as Knuckles 3) Sonic3&Knuckles as Sonic & Tails. 4) Sonic 3 as Kuckles

Why the change-up at the end? Well, you would have already done the course before as Sonic, but you'll want to go to the areas you couldn't get to before. And it's just like "Oooh welll". Not quite. If you have a friend, you can plug in a second Sega Genisis controller (only $779.99 retail) and your friend can play as Tails. Tails will be controlled on the screen, but the screen will always follow sonic. You can Map the second controller to the Keyboard, and then keep the Logitech or what have you to P1. Tail's controls can be a bit funky, so I recommend a bit of practice- it changes when in the air/in the water. To ascend, jump, then jump in the air. While helecoptering, rapidly tap jump. Tails' hands become a "rail" that sonic can hang onto. It would be a bit awkward with all the key-presses, but at that point, you'd want to explore angel island, and experience the fullness of the game, right? In the water, it's a bit different. Tails can swim up, but only by himself. If Sonic grabs on, he'll pull poor tails under. The technique is to have Tails swim, no matter what, and have Sonic do Max Height/Full-Button-Press jumps. Overall, you'll gain altitude.

The suggestions already given presents you with an accurate story line, but Sonic 3 as Knuckles is considered Sonic 3 HARDMODE. That would be a great hurrah for a 4th playthrough.

Oh, and when you do your Sonic & tails runthrough, there is a fantastic reward for getting all chaos emeralds and all hyper emeralds, as well as a kick-awesome level unlock at the end. Look for it.

Cheers,
-18C

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 21st, 2015, 3:56 am

This is all making me very conflicted about how to approach these games. I kinda want to see Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles separately, but I also would want to do two playthroughs of S3&K, one with Sonic and the other with Knuckles. But that all just sounds like way too much.

Apparently if I want to do just S3&K I should try to get all the emeralds on my first run of the game with Sonic? That sounds like too much pressure for a first playthrough honestly.

Also I kinda want to do a playthrough as Tails just for the hell of it, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea nor do I know where I would fit it in. Maybe Sonic 3 first playthrough?

Anyway there seems to be a load of options and as someone who has no idea at all the contents of these game I am confused and overwhelmed! What do?

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 21st, 2015, 4:12 am

This is my first time experiencing the classic sonics for real so I can't be a lot of help, but

Make a list of all lpable individual game playthroughs (eg "sonic run through S3&K") and assign random numbers to them. Use random.org to pull two numbers out and lp that. If you feel bad through away a result and randomly pick again (not adding first result back into the pool).

Get all the gemeralds in the second one if possible. Cheeze them (but only them) if you feel too much pressure, we really won't care and we know you can do it anyways.

/talking for more than myself, but I'm pretty sure we feel this way

also how's your shoulder?

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 21st, 2015, 4:51 am

Shoulder seems to be doing better, so I suppose I can continue getting destroyed by longish again soon.

Leet

Postby Leet » April 21st, 2015, 5:23 am

I didn't watch Sonic CD because I wanted to play it myself again, but then I realized that I knew far less about S3&K than CD, so I feel foolish. I'll be watching again anyway, though.
Genie wrote:No one is innocent so Karma doesn’t care who it kills. It strikes out randomly assured it destroys a sinner.

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » April 22nd, 2015, 1:27 am

Alice wrote:
EighteenCharacters wrote:But now I'm just rambling. On open forum no less. *sees alice with a whip*
-EighteenCharacters

I prefer hammers so there probably wouldn't be much running.

Yeah, I'm the one who uses a whip :tstick2: :theart: !

Anyway, sorry I haven't been updating the thread. I've been feeling kinda...down for a while :tsad2: . I know, that's no excuse, you're probably all like "Why isn't she updating the OP :tangry: ! Is she stuck inside her wife or something?! She spends way too much time in bed!"

EDIT: Also, I just realized: I got the 69th post in this thread :theart: . Go me :tstick2: ?
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 23rd, 2015, 2:08 am

Okay, I waited long enough so I guess I'm just going to do whatever then!

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 23rd, 2015, 6:29 am

Isocitration wrote:Okay, I waited long enough so I guess I'm just going to do whatever then!

Good luck and godspeed!

geddit

sped

<tovakj> yes

chridd

Postby chridd » April 23rd, 2015, 10:14 am

(...should have posted this sooner...)
I don't know if this will change anything, but:
Sonic 3 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles have a saving feature, and it's possible to go back and get all the chaos emeralds on a completed save file.
• I don't think you'll miss anything if you don't play Sonic & Knuckles alone, aside from that game's title screen.
• There is Knuckles-only content in the Sonic 3 part of Sonic 3 & Knuckles
 • You should get all the emeralds as Sonic (with or without Tails) in Sonic & Knuckles or Sonic 3 & Knuckles (not sure how much of a spoiler to consider this...)

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario

Postby Lead Luigi » April 23rd, 2015, 8:19 pm

Of course Iso dies to the first boss 3 times, why wouldn't he? :opieop:
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Leet

Postby Leet » April 24th, 2015, 7:46 pm

I've never gotten past the boss of Hydrocity Zone Act 1 when I was young...
Genie wrote:No one is innocent so Karma doesn’t care who it kills. It strikes out randomly assured it destroys a sinner.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » April 24th, 2015, 10:48 pm

*looks both ways*

i played one of the sonic 3s but could never figure out how to make me spin dash and never got past the rock after the explosions

*runs*

<tovakj> yes

Louiejub

Postby Louiejub » April 26th, 2015, 1:37 am

I dunno if you figured this out already Iso, but getting all of the emeralds on your first run with Sonic on S3&K is really lenient due to emeralds saving due to the save feature. Due to the fact that the level amount is basically doubled with the addition of S&K, you'll have plenty of chances, and you can always go back to previous levels that have easy-to-access special stages and essentially farm the emeralds until you have them all. Just a tip; it's not nearly the hassle that it was in previous games.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » April 26th, 2015, 5:16 am

Honestly if the stages are going to be this long they really should have increased the time limit, especially if the boss is the "only vulnerable once every 30 seconds" kind.

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » April 26th, 2015, 6:11 am

Funny. He beat Marble Zone today and has passed enough Bonus stages to go Super Sayian 3 times over with his 29 or so skipped emeralds.

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario

Postby Lead Luigi » April 26th, 2015, 2:02 pm

I'm betting the next zone will be a "Iso Sings along to the music because it is really good!" kind of episode.
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » April 27th, 2015, 3:38 am

The reason there are 14 emeralds is because IF you get all 7 chaos emeralds, then the 7 master emeralds become unlocked using the power of the Chaos emeralds. You see, you needed a reason to loose the Chaos emeralds at the start of the game. Happened in Sonic 3, Sonic Knuckles, Sonic Unleashed,.. well... gosh... every sonic game now that I think about it. It's the Samus Aran complex.

Anydangway, without collecting all emeralds as sonic, the way forward is like... not fully unlocked (WIth the super-awesome Son&Knuckles Russian-Doll Cartridge [retailing around $1179.95]). With the invention of computer technology in the year 2009, the software is integrated, so you don't need bulky cartridge-in-cartridge-in-cartridge-in-game-genie-in -madcatz-Nintendo-to-Sega-Adapter. So, yeah. You need the emeralds traditionally to unlock the master emerald quest. And the reward is amazing btw.

Here's a documentary on why he's so fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcG0kwl4w9A
-18C

P.S. don't check any of my facts ever. Just trust me. I'm an internetical engineer professing troll mechanics at radford University... So... I'm spot on.
-18C again

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”