Suddenly...Sonic?

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Re: Suddenly...Sonic?

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 7th, 2015, 8:10 am

omg highso is so amazing
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 9th, 2015, 8:14 am

I'm finding these games something of a confused mess to be honest

not that I'm not enjoying it, it's just an enjoyable confused mess
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".

Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<tovakj> yes

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » May 9th, 2015, 11:49 am

EighteenCharacters wrote:The reason there are 14 emeralds is because IF you get all 7 chaos emeralds, then the 7 master emeralds become unlocked using the power of the Chaos emeralds. You see, you needed a reason to loose the Chaos emeralds at the start of the game. Happened in Sonic 3, Sonic Knuckles, Sonic Unleashed,.. well... gosh... every sonic game now that I think about it. It's the Samus Aran complex.

Anydangway, without collecting all emeralds as sonic, the way forward is like... not fully unlocked (WIth the super-awesome Son&Knuckles Russian-Doll Cartridge [retailing around $1179.95]). With the invention of computer technology in the year 2009, the software is integrated, so you don't need bulky cartridge-in-cartridge-in-cartridge-in-game-genie-in -madcatz-Nintendo-to-Sega-Adapter. So, yeah. You need the emeralds traditionally to unlock the master emerald quest. And the reward is amazing btw.

Here's a documentary on why he's so fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcG0kwl4w9A
-18C

P.S. don't check any of my facts ever. Just trust me. I'm an internetical engineer professing troll mechanics at radford University... So... I'm spot on.
-18C again

Internetical Engineer. Iso... unlocked the Ultra special stages. He has a "chance" at the super-reward. I'm... *sniff* I'm so proud of him...

Iso... I believe in you... You can beat the stages- even though they're sooooo much harder.
You're doing it.

Your motivational concious,
-18C

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » May 9th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Flying Battery has  4  Special Stages and you have to  Push Some Spikes  to find some of them.  Honestly it's quite convoluted. 
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » May 10th, 2015, 5:33 am

So not only are the special stages much harder, they're also much more difficult to find? I'd rather not have to farm the one in Mushroom Hill, but at this rate, I'll probably have to.
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 10th, 2015, 7:50 am

Has your brain been okay these past couple of stages? Like randomly drunk as fuck and now randomly playing like you're new to this... Has your blood pressure been normal? Any weird substances you've introduced for yourself?

EDIT: Turns out no, and  it was a migraine 

weeeeeeee reading is hard

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » May 10th, 2015, 8:17 am

I still have no explanation for drunk carnival time though!

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » May 10th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Isocitration wrote:I'd rather not have to farm the one in Mushroom Hill

Well you could always explore to try to find the other 8 if you end up farming, but you should get the last level if you have all the Chaos Emeralds, Super Emeralds just get a different end card.

EDIT: Hey now, you found 2 Special Stages in Mushroom Hill :dansgame:
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

chridd

Postby chridd » May 10th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Lead Luigi wrote:
Isocitration wrote:I'd rather not have to farm the one in Mushroom Hill

Well you could always explore to try to find the other 8 if you end up farming, but you should get the last level if you have all the Chaos Emeralds, Super Emeralds just get a different end card.
He doesn't have the chaos emeralds anymore, though. He lost them when he entered the first Sonic & Knuckles special stage. (If he hadn't entered any Sonic & Knuckles special stages, then yeah, I think he would get that  though he would miss out on Hyper Sonic .)

Is it a spoiler that there's an extra level for getting all the emeralds? 

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 12th, 2015, 7:40 am

In act one it seems that the way they chose to give the rock terrain lips (that is, extend it nx1 horizontally over a cliff) is to give it a dick head and its really bothering me for some reason

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » May 13th, 2015, 4:58 am

Question: Can I get the super emeralds in any zone in the game or does it have to be from Mushroom Hill onward?

chridd

Postby chridd » May 13th, 2015, 9:11 am

I think just from Mushroom Hill onward (since even on my fully-completed all-emeralds file, the big rings in the second half of the game still flash and the ones in the first half of the game don't).

...also I just discovered while verifying this that it's possible to get AI tails to grab Sonic while flying at the beginning of Mushroom Hill Zone. Not that that helps much with anything.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 13th, 2015, 12:18 pm

The clouds on the planet in the final thing before the space jam without platforms look like gorilla skulls

like the ones in the background for the whole stage actually, but best visible when fighting flipotron in the "weird light things from cd" except not at all room

what did sonic do to get haunted by gorilla ghosts?

<tovakj> yes

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » May 13th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Isocitration wrote:Question: Can I get the super emeralds in any zone in the game or does it have to be from Mushroom Hill onward?

It has to be from Mushroom Hill onward. Anything before that will grant you a Chaos Emerald Stage, or (since you already have collected them) an instant 50-ring bonus. Those stages are called Bonus Rings. They're the same animation as a ring, but really big.

The Special stages from Mushroom Hill zone are called "SUPER" Rings. They look like Rings with a Super Star. They flash neon and floride. You probably never noticed before because you were all, like, "Gyahh, One.. Gyahh, I found one! Eeeeurrahhh" and jumps in :-)

So Bonus rings are only in Sonic 3, and Super rings are in,... uh,... & Knuckles. When you get all the Super Ring special stages, you can transform in-game, but it's a powered up version, combining all the awesome mobility attributes from all characters in every game ever... accept, you can still drown... I guess. Just goes to show... if you want to kill a superman goku thing, drown him.

To answer your question in video, there are special stages everywhere, sir. You just walk hilariously past them. Remember how you went through as tails and found no special stages in Carnival Night zone, then went through as Sonic and Tails, and found almost all of them? They were always there. There is one stage- there is not a different stage for different characters. Only the characters can access different parts of the stage... But there is only one stage.

Oh! That reminds me. Since we're chatting here, having internet coffee and biscuits, You should totally play through Sonic 3 as Knuckles. Knuckles inability to jump as high as Sonic actually forces him on a much harder path. But it a'int no thaang... Because Knuckles is tough as nails... tougher than the rest of them (according to the wordsmiths of Sonic Adventure). The first notable split is in Angel Island, act 2.

And for your final question, making this post totally inappropriately long to read, All timelines happened contiguously. Everything you experienced from Sonic 1 to Knuckles happened within the span of like 2 or 3 days. Sonic then takes a Dreamcast vacation and is attacked while on vacation. This is why no one is surprised when they see a new Sonic Character- they're just all like "Oh, hey tails". Apparently they alread knew each other, and from the gamers perspective, you just hadn't known that yet or something.

Knuckles is floating peacefully on Angel Island above the waters. The Power is syphoned off and the island comes crashing to the ground. Knuckles, the guardian is all like "Hey! what the heck?" Eggman shows up and says "it was that robot genius magician, Sonic the Hedgehog. See how he floats across the ocean to kill you and me using the emeralds he gathered from Sonic 2? He's magic. If you take his emeralds for me, I'll be able to steal your master emer- err... help you defeat Sonic... yessss." And so Knuckles is all- "I'll KILL that HedgeHog! :evilfetus: " And so he goes digging underground, and Sonic comes inland. Next, it's Biff- blamm Pop up from underground. Ha! Knuckles: "I'll take your emeralds and hide them in a complex, blue-sphere gathering puzzle bonus zone that is so hard, and so complex, that Isocitration cannot solve it." Sonic: "I'm waaay past cool!"

So, Knukles has all these jerk-holes invading his home. So he works with Eggman for a time thwarting Sonic. Buut, something happens. The Egg Carrier takes off. Time to double-cross Knuckles. He makes the Robotniks (you see, there are Badnicks, and then there are Robotnicks) and he also upgrades Metal Sonic (created about the time of Sonic CD) into Mecha Sonic. So the Egg Carrier takes off, then Sonic CD happens. Amy is there, and Metal Sonic captures Amy! Lets change time suddenly guys! So they're off making good futures in zones, and Knuckles says, well, these whack-jobs have left me alone. However, the Robotnicks are on the loose, searching for the Master Emerald. Metal Sonic is defeated, and the Egg Carrier comes crashing back down into the titlescreen of Sonic & Knuckles right at the end of Sonic 3, connecting the story lines into this Freakin-hell,-Sonic-1-happened-Yesterday-and-Sonic-2-Was-Around-Lunch-Time-I-Need-A-Break-Storyline.

So while Sonic, Eggman, and the Egg Carrier come crashing back down to the Angel Island, Knuckles is attacked by Robotniks who are looking for the Master Emerald- Eggmans' real goal. Eggman says "Wow, Sonic made robots that look like me. He's trying to break up our love." Knuckles: "I'll Kill That Sonic!!!" Air-punch, Air-punch, left-jab, Uppercut, Pose and smile with like, really jagged teeth. Like seriously, your cannon shows you needing a dentist.

Is this post long enough yet?

So anydangway, Knuckles works to hinder Sonic yet again, and says to himself "I need to look underground and make sure the Master Emerald is safe. Yup, safe... He exits, and shows Sonic where to go in Mushroom Hill Zone- the Super Bonus Rings. Activating the shrine, the alter accepts the Chaos Emeralds, because the island was secretly the lair of the Chao, but that won't be explained until Sonic Adventure, with Tikal and visions of the past- But that comes later. So then you get all of the Special Stages, and transform into Super Hyper Mega Ultra Awesome, Rainbow-drooling Childhood Hero man, go to the principal's Office- man. Knuckles finds that mecha Sonic has located the Master Emerald. It's that robot that Sonic must've built. I'll Kill That Hedgehog! So he fights and rescues the Master Emerald from Mecha Sonic (we're ignoring how it's outside somehow). Mecha Sonic isn't destroyed, but rather, he's... damaged.

Sonic goes underground and sees the Egg Carrier. Eggman is working to get it repaired and relaunch Sonic CD. Oh no! We can't let THAT happen! Wait? What's this? Hidden secret Palace Zone? Hey Knuckles. We should talk... I'm not really a- Knuckles: "I HATE YOU! LIKE A HURRICANE OF WASPS AND HORNETS BLASTING AGAINST MY FACE DO I HAAATE YOOOOOO" -... uh... bad guy? Air-punch, Air-punch, Left-jab, uppercut, pose. This part of the story is kind of graphic, and not meant for the children still reading story time with 18C. There's alot of snarling and spitting, but in the end, Sonic wins in like 8 hits. Sonic looks up and sees a picture of him fighting Eggman for control of the master emerald, and thinks "did Tikal put that there in the future Sonic Adventure in the Past? Some on Sonic Team, get your stuff straight", but the floor gave way and they fell. Knuckles said "Hey!". He ran off.

There's Eggman! He's found the Master Emerald at last! It was underground! Had the EggCarrier not fallen into the ground and crashed into the Lava reef zone, he may have never found it!. This power source raises the island. I'm sure he can use it to raise the Egg Carrier once more and revamp the Sonic CD plot...Knuckles: "I'm stupid. Oh... Eggman lied? And now Sky sanctuary is overrun with Robotnik robot clones? I will suddenly help you. What's this? Eggman is a liar? No freaking way! WTH eggman!? Put the heck back my master Emerald!" *zappidy-zappidy-zap* And everything went to crap.

That's okay, because I'll help you. Sky sactuary! Whoo. Mecha Sonic? What's with this Sonic 1 Boss? Did you have an extra one of those lying about? I mean, Sonic 1 was like... a day ago. Next is the Egg Carrier. Apparently putting aligator clips on the emerals, and hooking it up to the areo phambiant collectors makes the egg carrier raise up. And then... yeah. Sonic destroys everything. Debris and carnage rains down on the animals of angel island as the egg carrier breaks up, and Knuckles sits there crying on his knees, grabbing a tuft of grass saying "I've failed you..." I had one job. I couldn't even do that... And now Eggman is gone. Sonic is dead, I saw him explode, and I was too weak to help. I'm.. I'm not a true guardian! *grit, tear-jerk*

What's this? Sonic got all the Super Emeralds!?! Knuckles lifts up his eyes and looks-  There is Tails flying the Tornado1 with a hookshot in the Master Emerald (not responsible for breaking the emerald apart in Sonic Adventure at all, right? Tails?) Knuckles looks on in the Super Good ending and Knuckles, looking on: "Oh. I guess Eggman was a stupid liar after all, and Sonic was actually... good. I'm so lonely".  Tails flies the emerald to the island and it lifts off and whoosh.

The End.

Credits
-18C
*looks at what he's done*... yup... I'mma just go ahead and post it.

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » May 13th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Oh yeah... Iso... The special stages... just remember- you're thinking too hard. A kid would not know to move toward the blue spheres in the corner of his or her eye. The kid would be all 'forward', and turn if you can't go forward. Sit there with your mouth smiling and open as sonic walked forward, then jump if you need to. It would be like that Moon Jump game where the little car jumped over rocks. The same is the special stages. There was never supposed to be any searching involved in any stage. There was no strategy in "finding spheres", and leaving a pathway back. The stage lauout is made in such away that if you move forward and collect everything you see, you win.

However, you were actually trying to "Solve" the special stages. I'm not sure anyone in history has ever tried to do that.

You're awesome because of that.
-EighteenCharacters

Rumia

Postby Rumia » May 13th, 2015, 6:10 pm

Collecting the Super Emeralds has rewards for each character if you want to be really comprehensive :) ;)

You can cheese the fingers boss with the spindash, which is kind of weird since you can't do that with the Lava Reef hand.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » May 14th, 2015, 6:12 am

Well that only took 2 and a half hours! Video will be up at some point probably really late again

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 14th, 2015, 6:18 am

Isocitration wrote:Well that only took 2 and a half hours! Video will be up at some point probably really late again

Thanks for the hard work you put into this stuff!

<tovakj> yes

Leet

Postby Leet » May 14th, 2015, 6:40 am

even though all this sonic has been going on for a while i really <3 it, very excited
Genie wrote:No one is innocent so Karma doesn’t care who it kills. It strikes out randomly assured it destroys a sinner.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » May 14th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Isocitration wrote:http://pastie.org/private/2marlzljp7smomz6jpcjg

I can't believe someone did this.

Why didn't I think to do this before?

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » May 14th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Iso... I'm gonna be honest here. No one said anything, but I think we're all pretty baffled that you were able to do the Doomsday mission the first time. You were "SUPPOSED" to hit the flaming nose robot, crush the emerald beam, and take the emerald to Angel island.. but for some reason, your software said "He's hyper sonic, take him to doomsday" which you weren't.

So,... yeah, that last level is kick-awesome... and that was the intended reward.

Also, yes the knuckles paths are significantly different. It's like a new game ALMOST, because the paths, however different, join back up. Angel Island, Act 1 is the same for all 3 critters, but act 2 is 99% different for Knuckles.

And the other critters can't become super, but if they collect the Chaos emeralds, they can become Hyper, and the hyper versions of them include homing flickie missles, and Knuckles earthquaking into everything he glides into... and just madness. I believe once you break the face of a robot with Hyper Knuckle's glide, earthquaking against spikes, then the game's content has fully been revealed to you.

My vote is for a Knuckles run, and then... Longish... I think it was longish?
Gah! my leg? longish? IDK.

Or maybe you wanna take a finger-break... Maybe robotnik-crush some ants with like 3 fingers on the curb outside?

It is nice out ^_^
-18C

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 15th, 2015, 6:49 am

you aitch, not to be asterisk that fan asterisk but is sonic done or are you doing the knuckles thing or non? If I'm going to up late tonight should I expect a video or should I not count on anything?

<tovakj> yes

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » May 15th, 2015, 6:55 am

I didn't record anything, so there'll be no video. Probably going back to Gah. Not really sure how to deal with it though, since I have 5 hours of month old footage already and I'm just going to have relearn the level anyway. Hmm.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » May 15th, 2015, 7:40 am

Maybe like...

filter some old footage and what's salvagable in sepia, then do a reintroductory

Just promise longish next time, but re-play something reasonably reasonable and quick so next time you have a little bit of muscle memory

maybe? I don't know

<tovakj> yes

EighteenCharacters

Postby EighteenCharacters » May 15th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Why not splice together 2 videos and make a video that's... you know...

:datsheffy: *sunglasses*

Longish?

EarthPhantomTS
A little bit of a fan of Tiamat

Postby EarthPhantomTS » May 18th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Finally completed the thread :tsurprise: ! Ishtar that took awhile :tsad2: !
Resident slut, harlot, whore, tramp, and Tiamat fangirl. Also, proud pervert, nympho, and sex worshiper.

Proud to be a worshiper of Ishtar, Babylonian goddess of sex and war, in the 21st century CE Image Image!

Warning: Noted tendency to go from the Queen of Lewd to the Queen of Shrews seemingly at random. If this happens, explain that you meant nothing by it, and she'll quickly apologize

Yes, she's still my wifey

Tovarisch Red Yoshi

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » June 8th, 2015, 6:08 am

<tovakj> yes

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”