pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Emerald

The fabled art of 'let's play' is nigh tangible here. Got an LP you're just itching to share? Or maybe you just want to make snarky comments about someone's bad playing? That kind of thing goes here!
pholtos

pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Emerald

Postby pholtos » March 20th, 2018, 12:50 pm

So with Crystal finished, I figured I start up a thread for the next gen, gen 3. Emerald seems like the best choice here.

So far these are my ideas:
Stats:
I will be shuffling around the stats, in other words the six stats will have their numbers mixed around. This will not change the overall stat amount or how much would normally be put in each stat, it'd just mean instead of say geodude having 80 defense it has 80 speed.
Base stats will be updated to the stats of gen 6.

EXP Curve:
Every mon would hit level 100 at 1,000,000 exp, if it's a non legendary. This is a maybe, I am considering it.

Pokemon Abilities:
Either Randomized or Unchanged
I will also consider disabling negative abilities and trapping abilities.

Pokemon Typings will remain unchanged.
Starter mons will remain unchanged.

Static pokemon will be completely randomized.

Moves:
Will be updated to their Gen 6 power and accuracy.
Could randomize movesets, although preferring same type rather than completely being random.
Could reorder them so I get the weaker moves earlier than the more powerful ones.

Trainers:
Pokemon will be randomized
Rival's team will be randomized
Could randomize the team's to be of similar strength to their normal team.
Names and Classes will be randomized.
Could have the trainer's level be modified to be weaker or stronger.

Wild pokemon will be randomized

TMs and HMs:
Willl be unchanged, may randomize compatibility so as to make sure I can use every HM I need.

Field Items will be unchanged.

Running Shoes will be allowed indoors, National Dex will be given at the start, Pokemon's names will be lowercase.

Same basic idea, first six routes I will catch the first first stage pokemon that can evolve I find, those six mons will be what I use for the whole game. I will be giving each of these six mons an everstone.

So that's the basic gist of what I'm going to do. Feel free to comment any suggestions you've got, either about trainer classes/names or about any of the ideas I've got for randomization this time around.

Table of Contents:
01: The Town Of No Privacy
02: Further Explanations and Our First Two Mons
03: Our Third Team Member and Taking Things Slow
04: Petalburg and a Ninja Tutorial Session
05: Party Member Four and A Developing Plot
06: This Gym Rocks
07: Exploring Above Rustboro and Rustboro Rematch
08: Rustboro Cleanup
09: Taking This Session for Granite
10: Dewford Do Not, There Is No Try
11: That's My Last Mon? It Can't Beach!
12: Slated To Be Long
Last edited by pholtos on April 11th, 2018, 12:57 pm, edited 15 times in total.

pholtos

Re: pholtos Text Adventures - Pokemon Emerald

Postby pholtos » March 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm

As for the trainer names and classes, these are what I've got so far:

Classes:
Cow
Cat
Hero
Lazy
Bear
Sheep
Kappa
Judge
Muggle
Pirate
Toddler
Flaming
Old Man
Digimon
Shut Up
I Am The
A Stoned
Drunkard
Find The
Attorney
Load The
Goldfish
Wanderer
Agnostic
Anti-Hero
Ballerina
Pessimist
Inspector
Rich Girl
Professor
A Balding
What is a
Psynergist
Bamboozled
Fairy Maid
Inquisitor
Preschooler
Maximillian
Disgruntled
Space Marine
Super Sentai
Potted Plant
Quack Doctor
The Strongest
Tool Assisted
Shrine Maiden
A Sculpture of
A Cornucopia of
Where's That DAMN Fourth
Dynamic Duo

Doubles Classes:
Walrus
Where's
Pumpkin
Gods
Twins
Ma&Pa
Sr&Jr
Couple
Witches
Ma & Pa
Sr & Jr
Ma And Pa
Champions
Explorers
Old Couple
Bro And Sis
Cute Couple
Cool Couple
Young Couple
Cheerleaders
Ninja Turtles

Names:
Nue
Man?
Mai
Mio
Jin
Yue
Mia
Nano
Tewi
Joey
Chen
Judy
Tova
Hiei
Aura
Kite
Negi
Yugi
Ivan
Alex
Aang
Toph
Zuko
Isaac
Asuna
Inami
Satou
Souma
Cirno
Waldo
Pansy
Mario
Reimu
Kappa
Yuuko
Botan
Kaiba
Garet
Felix
Sokka
Jolpe
Katara
Nodoka
Yukina
Koenma
Genkai
Hakase
Potato
Batman
Sakuya
Nitori
Gadget
Layton
Marisa
Planet
Mokuba
Eggman
Kurama
Yusuke
Saturos
Menardi
Tristan
Balmung
Freddie
pholtos
Pumpkin
raocow
Yukkuri
Old Man
Cthulhu
Dracula
Pelican
Pegasus
Lawrence
FrankerZ
Sakamoto
Kamiyama
Kuwabara
Todoroki
Taneshima
Takanashi
Mechazawa
Hayashida
Pineapple
Octillery
Watermelon
Butterflies
Achievement
Isocitration
Computer Room
Chaos Emerald
Celtic Guardian

Doubles Names:
Luna & Sol
Gork & Mork
Tick & Tock
This & That
Back & Forth
Cop & Robber
Watch & Learn
Louis & Clark
Kotaku & Koume
Ratchet & Clank
Suwako & Kanako
Lechku & Nechku
Thing 1 & Thing 2
Abbott & Costello
Magikarp & Feebas
Remilia & Flandre
Beauty & The Beast
Master & Apprentice

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 20th, 2018, 3:53 pm

pholtos wrote:Pokemon Typings will remain unchanged.
Starter mons will remain unchanged.

If you don't change typing then you should change the starters to something more random. Though in my opinion randomized typings is pretty interesting. It forces you to relearn a lot of things and can get you into a lot of trouble if you're not careful. (Ie: You run into a rock type and are using a grass type but it's no longer actually a rock type.)
pholtos wrote:As for the trainer names and classes, these are what I've got so far:

Doubles Names:
Luna & Sol
Gork & Mork
Tick & Tock
This & That
Back & Forth
Cop & Robber
Watch & Learn
Louis & Clark
Kotaku & Koume
Ratchet & Clank
Suwako & Kanako
Lechku & Nechku
Thing 1 & Thing 2
Abbott & Costello
Magikarp & Feebas
Remilia & Flandre
Beauty & The Beast
Master & Apprentice

Tweedledee & Tweedledum.
💙💙💙

Speedless

Postby Speedless » March 20th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Ooh, can I be a possible name in this one? With the way my team-building philosophy has been changing lately, I'm curious to see what kind of trainer the RNG thinks I am. It might even give me some inspiration.

If it were me playing the game, I'd be nervous to change around all the stats and such, since one of my biggest strengths is having a general idea of what most Pokemon can do, but the potential for a Gyarados to throw out Aeroblast, or for a Shuckle to end up more like an Attack Deoxys or Blissey, could make an entertaining LP. I think it'll be interesting either way.

As far as experience curves, I don't specifically know what result you're looking for, but here's what I know:

I can't think of any real reason to go past level 60 (unless the randomizer chooses really strong Pokemon for the Elite Four), aside from certain people's fifth teams (which you probably wouldn't need to show off). You can even do Open Level at the Battle Frontier at level 60.

If you set all XP curves to Medium Fast, you'll reach level 60 at 216,000 points. If you leave XP curves the way they are, you stand to get there anywhere from 44K points faster (172,800 for Fast) to 54K points slower (270,000 for Slow). Standardizing all the curves would mostly prevent Fluctuating Pokemon from breezing through their first 35 levels (and Erratic Mons from suffering through their first 50).

pholtos wrote:Base stats will be updated to the stats of gen 6.

Moves:
Will be updated to their Gen 6 power and accuracy.

Gen 6 specifically, rather than Gen 7? Admittedly, none of the basic Pokemon that were even in Emerald got base stat changes in Gen 7, and the update to Leech Life would have definite effects...

Is your rule still that Pokemon that don't evolve in this game are acceptable if they get an evolution in future games?

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 20th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Alice wrote:If you don't change typing then you should change the starters to something more random. Though in my opinion randomized typings is pretty interesting. It forces you to relearn a lot of things and can get you into a lot of trouble if you're not careful. (Ie: You run into a rock type and are using a grass type but it's no longer actually a rock type.)

I'm wondering if you might be misunderstanding this a little. As I recall, the randomizer randomizes each pokemon to have a random typing, it doesn't just shuffle around the types. So I'd have to figure out and learn each mons typing, whereas I'm pretty sure the AI would know mine in an instant. Would be sorta unfair, especially given what I'm already doing.

Alice wrote:Tweedledee & Tweedledum.

Speedless wrote:Ooh, can I be a possible name in this one? With the way my team-building philosophy has been changing lately, I'm curious to see what kind of trainer the RNG thinks I am. It might even give me some inspiration.

Added and added.

Speedless wrote:Gen 6 specifically, rather than Gen 7? Admittedly, none of the basic Pokemon that were even in Emerald got base stat changes in Gen 7, and the update to Leech Life would have definite effects...

The randomizer hasn't been updated in a few years. :P

Speedless wrote:Is your rule still that Pokemon that don't evolve in this game are acceptable if they get an evolution in future games?

Yep.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 20th, 2018, 11:36 pm

pholtos wrote:I'm wondering if you might be misunderstanding this a little. As I recall, the randomizer randomizes each pokemon to have a random typing, it doesn't just shuffle around the types. So I'd have to figure out and learn each mons typing, whereas I'm pretty sure the AI would know mine in an instant. Would be sorta unfair, especially given what I'm already doing.

It may be randomizing instead of shuffling, I haven't messed with Pokemon randomizers much. But I think you get the idea, yeah. I can see thinking it'd be a bit unfair, I just thought it would help spice things up a bit more even though it would make things more difficult.
💙💙💙

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 21st, 2018, 10:06 am

And ROM has been randomized. It may be a bit before I post the first session but yes.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 22nd, 2018, 2:38 am

Session 1: The Town Of No Privacy

It is time to begin Pokemon Emerald. As should be expected, this first session will feature basically all story and talking. It's necessary in a Pokemon game, but rather annoying and time consuming to edit together. :P

Here's my decided on settings. I figured I might as well use the frame they chose for the game rather than pick my own. (Although there were some frames that I though looked nifty.)

And so here's Birch the... eurgh that looks horrible. Ok one moment.

Much better. All right, so this is Birch, the Professor of this region. As is similar to the previous games, the professor has a tree name. Apparently in order to be a professor, you have to be named after a tree. Sorry Timmy, no being a professor for you.

Pokemon, basically animals that are fairly equal in standing to humans, despite overall being stronger than us. Guess it helps they like us, cause I'd hate to wonder what would happen if they ever figured they didn't need us anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X00djifIj9s

Ok ok fine, I'm this guy. Sheesh game.

Going with pholtos as always. I love that it fits. Would be a pain if it didn't.

Do you really Birch, do you really? ...You know you can put down your arm, it must be getting tired staying in that position this whole time.

And we finally reach the last part of the intro to the intro.

...Good first screen. Sure gives a great impression.

After fading from black, we find ourselves in... something moving.

Oh hey we stopped and now there's a way out.

Wait... you can't be serious.

I WAS IN A MOVING TRUCK?

Here's our Mother, who apparently doesn't care for our safety at all, having us ride with all the boxes in the back, which could have easily fallen onto use if the vehicle crashed or had a rough stop or hard turn.

So in we go. As a note, I still don't really have free control. I'm being dragged along still.

Inside we find vigoroths moving our stuff in. Funny how I didn't see them outside at all. I hope they're paid good wages or food or whatever it is vigoroths like. We also apparently have a Dad this time. First Dad of the series.

Vigoroths make amazing noises.

So I'd like to note that this house only seems to have a living room/kitchen area and this upstairs area where I sleep. They never seem to show a place for the parents to sleep. Maybe there's a second floor that has another bedroom and we're actually on the third floor. Who knows.

Using the power of EXTREME TECHNOLOGY we get ourselves a potion out of storage. It's a good thing there's no notorious people who could use the transporting item system to transfer things like weapons or celery or something.

Nap time!

Here's this generation's map. We'll be going all over this place as we progress in the game. Sorta wonder what a trainer starting on one of those islands is supposed to do, maybe take a boat? They wouldn't be able to surf for instance.

Game Boy Advance Linkup Cable advertising ho!

I then get distracted by a soap opera.

Setting the clock to the actual time of when I took these pictures. Yes I did start this at stupid o' clock in the morning. I tend to sleep during the day. :P

After setting the clock, a cutscene happens automatically. Mom comes in and reveals her love of using Pokemon to do menial tasks that she herself didn't want to help do at all. She also says to check the desk, so ok.

MAN HOW USEFUL. Although actually if this is your first pokemon game, this would be rather useful.

Heading downstairs... another cutscene.

I then slowly walk over to the TV, causing the black areas outside of the house to shift around and make it look like I edited this image all crooked.

So our Dad is somewhere in Petalburg. Will make a note of that. Seems our Mom wants us to go next door and say hi.

FREEDOM! We can finally move how we'd like! And so upon stepping outside we're introduced to the town of Littleroot for reals.

Littleroot is a quaint small town with only a few buildings, surrounded by countless trees.
...How did the Moving Truck get here?

So I apparently own the house, given it has my name on it.

Never change guy, never change.

What's with adult males and not being at their homes in this game. That's two for two so far.

We might as well do as the end of the tutorial said and go see Birch at the Lab.

...Birch. Didn't you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9__QRWhnm4w

Thanks, but I gotta go find Birch. I'm the protagonist you know. It's what I do.

Let's go!

Or... not. Curses.

Guess we'll visit the only place left, Birch's house. He's probably not here but I've got nothing better to do, let's barge right in.

Oh hello new neighbor whom I know nothing about except that you moved in today, I have a daughter around your age and I believe she is upstairs. Feel free to simply go up to her room and invade her privacy.

No small child, I do not...yet. I cannot find the tree.

Hmm... seems she's not up here... ooh a pokeball.

What are you a ninja?

A very talkative ninja.

I have to go help my Dad the tree catch pokemon, better sit at my desk instead. (Yes yes she's probably accessing her PC to get items to be prepared and whatnot, it's still silly. :P)

Hmm? The Blockade Girl of the North has moved, and now she says I can go by? But, I thought it was dangerous to go alone?

How convenient.

Til next time, we'll proceed North and determine the source of the scary Pokemon noise! Til then.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 23rd, 2018, 6:20 am

Session 2: Further Explanations and Our First Two Mons

Welcome back, last time we just sorta stood here and ended the previous session.

Walking two steps forward starts the next event, someone is in trouble! :o

It's a man being chased by a cute! Oh the horror!

Bag... Bag... Ok... don't worry I got this.

Dang it guy I'm trying. This bag is hard to find... ooh a butterfly! ( '^')

Umm umm... uh oh!

"Hello BK? I need help. There's three cutes here and I'm not sure what to do."

"did you try snuggling them? :o"

"b-but they're in the pokeballs
and opening one starts the battle D:"

"do the cuddles! its important!"

"Ok I'll give it a try."

*snuggles*

...Oops. Dropped one.

Whelp guess I'm going with the one I dropped, a Mudkip.

Change from normal: Randomized Movepools. Whirlpool and Water Gun, not bad. Just gotta hit it a few times and this should be over with.

Whelp.

Guess I'll just faint then. It has Extrasensory by the way, pretty nifty animation.

So this event battle ends on its own with the Zigzagoon running if I happen to end up in the red. So that happened.

Hi, I'm pholtos! (What kinda statement is that? What am I, Daisy?)

And for rescuing the tree from the horror of cuddles, I get the Mudkip that I dropped on the ground. :3

I will naturally be naming every mon on my team, including this one which I won't be holding for too long.

I don't wanna.

Saying no makes him talk in loops. Bah fine I'll meet the person. Sheesh.

This guy now says something different since Birch is back. Nice touch.

Change from normal: Abilities have been randomized. Although that was already shown via the Zigzagoon. :P
I make the best names.

All right time to leave Littleroot for reals.

Route 101, a very simple beginners route. I intend to post a full picture that I totally don't take straight off a bulbapedia and then add on the signpost that describes the route on the bottom of it. Only downside is that NPCs aren't shown on these images, but ah well, I have full intention of talking to everyone I meet.

The first pokemon we run across is Altaria, which had Dragon Rage. Yeah.

After that we run into a Hoothoot! This will be our first team member... as soon as the game lets me have pokeballs.

Hoothoot: Not terrible statwise, Flying/Normal type.
Change from normal: The stats are rearranged, so it could be it has for instance 56 attack and 30 speed, among the other numbers.

A lot of NPCs tend to have very simple tips for people who haven't played a pokemon game before, like this guy. He's in a good spot for that kind of tip.

The other guy on the route also has something good to say for new players, explaining pokemon centers for when your pokemon is... tired. Tired? Does low HP = Tired? Guess so.

Oldale Tow- *walks into a building*

Another small town. I need to be willing to have a suspension of disbelief a bit when it comes to these places. They are probably realistically much larger, with maybe 100 people in them, with probably some more buildings and whatnot, and the amount of buildings is simply to not overwhelm the player. Or maybe there really are only four buildings in this town, who knows!

The red building is a pokemon center, go in here to heal mons.

Explanations of the PC and what pokemon centers do, as well as something new this gen, the wireless club... which is pointless for me to talk about given it's a multiplayer thing.

Bottom right house!

Some more simple tips for the new pla- ooh a TV.

Explanation of the Pokemart is next, we even get a free potion out of it. :3

Pokemart!

Explanations about Pokeballs and Potions. Annoyingly, they're somehow completely out of pokeballs. How... convenient.

Typical shop window for pokemarts. Items will vary depending on the town.

Top left house! Explanation of the party menu!

Attempting to leave town to the left results in another annoying blockade. Fine, guess I'll go up. Hmph.

Route 103!

Huh? What are you talking about, there's nothing weird about this image of the route. It's perfectly normal.

More talking about potions and Pokemon being tired. Guess they are sticking to tired = low HP.

Oh ho! This time I have snuck up on you, Ninja!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk

Ah geez I can see it now, Eggman spamming Ragnarok and saying "GET A LOAD OF THISSSS" over and over again.

One close and short battle due to almost losing to crit later, I'm apparently pretty good.

The mudkip likes me? :D

All right all right stop rushing me, geez.

Lab!

We have a long talk with a tree about the three goddesses who formed the earth and then left the golden- wait no wrong tree. We get the pokedex.

And then May gives us pokeballs! :D
You know what that means~

It's time to look at our bag! ...No? That's not what you thought I meant. Oh right, it means...

It's time to go ca- ...talk to our Mother!

What is with the finality of the statement "You got it from PROF. BIRCH."? Why is that not a question? Also, clearly having a pokemon is grounds to travel the world despite the various dangers and the possibility that I am not even a teenager yet.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope... where are you...

There you are! :D

Hoothoot get. :3

Pokedex entries are always fairly interesting, Hoot.

So I name Hoothoot the greatest of names, Hooty Hoot. It has the ability Marvel Scale, which is originally Milotic's ability and is basically Guts but with defense, adding 50% to it when Hoothoot has a status condition. Not a bad ability at all!
Here's hoping this doesn't look too bad, I might need to change the way I show these after this session if it doesn't.

Bye bye Mudkip! :D

Training Hooty Hoot proved to be not too difficult, as there were various strong mons weak to flying or that only had a ground move on the route.

Time to check route 103 for our second mon. I didn't actually run into one the first run through to reach May, so let's see...

Nope... nope... nope... YES!

The adorb Whismur is our second team member. :3
Three good stats three not so good stats.

Whismur get. :3

They... inhale through their ears... Neat.

SPEAKING OF GUTS. At first glance looks like the three good stats are HP, SpAtk and SpDef. Might be too early to tell though, it is only level 3.

At level 5, Whismur gets the perfect move to keep while I don't have a full team.

How do you... oh nevermind.

Til next time guys, when we go... this way! Til then. :3

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 23rd, 2018, 12:43 pm

pholtos wrote:So this event battle ends on its own with the Zigzagoon running if I happen to end up in the red. So that happened.

You know, I legitimately did not know what happens if you lose that fight despite this generation being the one I spent the second greatest amount of time playing. (I sunk far more into Pokemon Blue, unlike GSC I kept playing that one up until I got Sapphire.) Also Treecko's best starter this gen. Though at least you didn't choose Torchic. (I dunno why but my least favorite starter each generation seems to always end up the most popular for some reason. And it's usually the fire starter too.)
💙💙💙

Speedless

Postby Speedless » March 23rd, 2018, 6:55 pm

Having busier episodes like this split up into multiple sections is nice. It gives us the option to only open up one or the other. That could come in handy later if we want to go back and check something, like "what was May's name the first time?"

Also, I really appreciate that you took this mostly rigid intro sequence and went above and beyond. Resisting the plot-based gravitational pull of a tree, the banana phone call, interruption chaining and walking into a building--you really kept up the pace here.

pholtos wrote:Change from normal: Randomized Movepools. Whirlpool and Water Gun, not bad. Just gotta hit it a few times and this should be over with.

Whelp.

This move randomizer looks to favor same-type moves rather strongly, at least based on what we've seen this episode. The games themselves do (to an extent) as well, but I'll be curious to see how everyone's type coverage turns out in the end.

Also, is an evolved Pokemon's level-up moveset completely separate from its pre-evolutions? If so, keeping track of which Mons do what could potentially get complicated. Then again, the chances of seeing two Mons from the same family close together are lower than in the regular games, where a single trainer might well have a Pidgey and a Pidgeotto.

How does the randomizer rank fixed-damage moves? It won't be that great later, but it might be a little too great now, what with nothing that isn't two levels higher and also a Chansey being able to survive it. I'm sure I've seen something list variable-power moves like Gyro Ball as 1 power (which would put them early in a simple sort by power), but others just list all unusual moves as having a base power of *, and I'm not sure what the actual game data looks like.

The other guy on the route also has something good to say for new players, explaining pokemon centers for when your pokemon is... tired. Tired? Does low HP = Tired? Guess so.

When you're making your way down a medium-to-long route where the wild Pokemon don't actively threaten to KO you, but you can't quite take them out in one hit and they keep doing chip damage to you, you'll be pretty tired by the end.

She's got the master plan. Like Banana, I'm going to guess she'll keep her name between fights?

They... inhale through their ears... Neat.

I guess that explains Whismur's lack of a visible nose. Regardless, here we are again, with one single-type and one dual-type team member that share a type, just like Horsea and Chinchy at the start of Crystal. We'll just have to see whether their next teammate complements them as well as Vulpy did their Crystal counterparts.

Alice wrote:
pholtos wrote:So this event battle ends on its own with the Zigzagoon running if I happen to end up in the red. So that happened.

You know, I legitimately did not know what happens if you lose that fight despite this generation being the one I spent the second greatest amount of time playing.

With the level advantage your starter has, I would guess it's a lot harder for the Zigzagoon to even make this fight close than it would be for another starter--especially since only Mudkip can miss with its regular level 5 attacking move.

Also Treecko's best starter this gen. Though at least you didn't choose Torchic. (I dunno why but my least favorite starter each generation seems to always end up the most popular for some reason. And it's usually the fire starter too.)

As far as the Hoenn starters go, I think the Torchic line probably got a significant head start from the anime. Harrison's Blaziken coming from beyond the known world to duke it out with Ash's Charizard, showing off its cool unique move Blaze Kick in the process, certainly gave it a big leg up with me.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 24th, 2018, 12:06 am

Alice wrote:

You know, I legitimately did not know what happens if you lose that fight despite this generation being the one I spent the second greatest amount of time playing. (I sunk far more into Pokemon Blue, unlike GSC I kept playing that one up until I got Sapphire.) Also Treecko's best starter this gen. Though at least you didn't choose Torchic. (I dunno why but my least favorite starter each generation seems to always end up the most popular for some reason. And it's usually the fire starter too.)

Yeah it's interesting they added a possibility of someone losing this fight under normal circumstances. I'm similar when it comes to starters, the only fire starter I've ever taken is cyndaquil. I'm a big fan of picking the cute one. :3

Speedless wrote:This move randomizer looks to favor same-type moves rather strongly, at least based on what we've seen this episode. The games themselves do (to an extent) as well, but I'll be curious to see how everyone's type coverage turns out in the end.

Also, is an evolved Pokemon's level-up moveset completely separate from its pre-evolutions? If so, keeping track of which Mons do what could potentially get complicated. Then again, the chances of seeing two Mons from the same family close together are lower than in the regular games, where a single trainer might well have a Pidgey and a Pidgeotto.

I didn't show this, but Mudkip got stomp at level 6. While it does seem to favor a type, it's likely I'll get some moves that are a different type.

Speedless wrote:

How does the randomizer rank fixed-damage moves? It won't be that great later, but it might be a little too great now, what with nothing that isn't two levels higher and also a Chansey being able to survive it. I'm sure I've seen something list variable-power moves like Gyro Ball as 1 power (which would put them early in a simple sort by power), but others just list all unusual moves as having a base power of *, and I'm not sure what the actual game data looks like.

I'm actually not sure how they rank moves like that, and as for dragon rage, since it's fixed at 40 damage that's probably why it's so early on. I could have banned the move, actually. There's an option to in the randomizer since it's a "broken move".

Speedless wrote:

She's got the master plan. Like Banana, I'm going to guess she'll keep her name between fights?

I'd assume so, but we'll know for sure next time we meet her.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 24th, 2018, 12:45 am

Session 3: Our Third Team Member and Taking Things Slow

I almost forgot to do this last time, so here we are. Everstones.

And given. So I learned something a bit when working on this part, VBA overwrites captures if you stop playing and then start up again. I fortunately learned this after taking pictures of me getting the everstones and nothing else, and then starting the route for real, so I was able to replicate the pictures given I have a bunch of save states that I can return to just in case. :3

Route 102!

Route 102 is our first longer than one screen route, and also the first route with normal trainers.

You go man! I believe in you! :D

So I've always wondered this, what's with this weirdo rule about having pokemon = trainer = I have to fight other trainers? Why can't I just go nah and keep walking? :P

Can you find the :3?

The most terrifying pokemon, Metapod!

And thanks to the randomizer, it's actually somewhat threatening to deal with. It probably would have won that if it didn't have color change.

You're the one who outright challenged me, bub. No complaining.

I'm trying to imagine this kind of conversation in like a park. "Ha! Our eyes met! Now you have to go on a date with me!" Or something.

Fear his extremely powerful bug pokemon, Ralts and Pichu! Pichu had Thunder Wave by the way.

Why? Why is that a rule? Is there like an official trainer handbook or something that says it's so?

How do you sink into grass? Wouldn't you normally smush grass as you walk on it? Makes me wonder how tall this grass must be. Yeesh.

Oh man a Staryu!

Pretty stronk in two stats, ok in two stats and meh in two stats. Water type.

False swipe proves useful in making this an easy capture.

File under creepy, Staryu is a combination firefly lizard.

Staryu actually came with an item, stardust, which is essentially an item you sell. It doesn't do anything else.

Another fairly useful ability, Staryu won't have to worry about burns. It also has two different types of moves, Astonish being a move that can cause flinching and Clamp which causes a bit of extra damage every turn for a few turns.

Oh boy another one of these guys.

A difficult task, she's somewhere in the Demon World I think. You could check Genkai's place maybe.

This acorn dares to try to grow into a tree? Destroy it!

Meanwhile, Ekans melts itself with Acid. Poor thing.

Sigh... knew he was one of those types.

Berries get a bit of an upgrade in this gen, they now come in different shaped bushes depending on the berry. Picking one...

Causes the entire plant to go away...

Which allows you to plant a new one, of any kind in it's place. I have no interest in cultivating berries so I'll probably just pick the ones I find, although I tend not to use berries anyway. :P

Ca-Career? I didn't realize being a Trainer was a Career, although I guess you do earn a "wage" by defeating other trainers... on that note, how do trainers make money if they have to defeat other trainers, wouldn't they basically be passing the money around and then to towns for food and whatnot? What happens when all the trainers run out of money paying for things other than battles? Hmm...

He'll fight you in his sleeping bag.

Hue hue hue hue hue...

Clefairy meanwhile spends the whole battle screeching at a starfish.

Ah yes, catching more pokemon, the beginners trap. Ever notice how after a while you don't see anymore trainers who talk about catching more mons? There comes a point where you quit meeting trainers like that.

Potion! :D

At level 6, Mr. Points gets Bubble. :3

And that's going to be all for this time. I figure from now on I'll either spend an update talking about the journey to a new town or about the town itself. So next time we'll explore Petalburg City. Til then.

Griflion

Postby Griflion » March 24th, 2018, 5:59 am

pholtos wrote:Session 1: The Town Of No Privacy

Going with pholtos as always. I love that it fits. Would be a pain if it didn't.

Still waiting for the moment where pholtos doesn't fit by one char, and then you use pholty :3

pholtos wrote:Session 2: Further Explanations and Our First Two Mons

"Hello BK? I need help. There's three cutes here and I'm not sure what to do."

"did you try snuggling them? :o"

"b-but they're in the pokeballs
and opening one starts the battle D:"

"do the cuddles! its important!"

"Ok I'll give it a try."

*snuggles*

...Oops. Dropped one.

Pfft, that was amazing. Did BK see this? This is just great.

pholtos wrote:Session 2: Further Explanations and Our First Two Mons

Whelp guess I'm going with the one I dropped, a Mudkip.

Change from normal: Randomized Movepools. Whirlpool and Water Gun, not bad. Just gotta hit it a few times and this should be over with.

Whelp.

Oh man, never lucky. :pjsalt:
Also, in R/S, these are Pochyenas, which are much more frightening than some silly raccoons.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 25th, 2018, 1:43 am

Session 4: Petalburg and a Ninja Tutorial Session

Welcome back to Emerald. Last time we arrived in Petalburg after getting our third team member. Today we'll explore the City.

Now that we're done with tutorial land, the locations are routes are going to be much larger. There's also a fancy orange roofed building now.

And by exploring the City I mean ignoring the City and going passed it. Let's g- Oh no not another one of these...

Really? I thought the first thing pokemon trainers do when they reach a new town is go make sure their pokemon are all right at the pokemon center, you know, caring for them to make sure they're not exhausted?

And we get led over to the Gym. It's very similar to in previous generations, that guy in Pewter and that guy in Violet.

I want to go past. I'm pouting. -3-

Fine then, let's start from the bottom and work our way up then, just to spite the guy. THE GYM LAST!

Huh, what a coincidence, I also came here from somewhere far away recently. Also... NORMAN? Are we doing this again, eh Pokemon? Gen 1 had such interesting names as bRock, Misty, and Lt. Surge, and now you're coming at us with Norman? I WONDER WHAT TYPE HE USES?!?

Melodramatic NPC is melodramatic.

HOUSE!

Full of people who really want to go traveling. That lady really seems to want to go on an adventure, goodness.

Where's Wal[do]ly?

Some more semi-informative things from the Pokemon Center.

And then there's this guy. He wants to see my profile, sure.

Hmm... that's pretty all right as is but... I can do better.

Oh stop it you.

Love love love the love the love makes the world go round.

Pokemart typically has info about how items work. In today's class, repel and antidote.

I sure would love to buy some but I have no monies at the moment. I spent them all on rocks.

Good info to have this early in the game, while you're like to still have under 6 mons.

And now that we've finally gone everywhere BUT the gym, it's time to check out the gym.

And proceed to do everything but talk to the guy in the middle of the room. Clearly he's not important.

EHHH?!? D-d-d-d-d-dad?!?

While pholtos is still getting over his shock, this guy enters and asks for a pokemon.

He seems to have a pretty good reason behind wanting a friend. :3

But Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad...

Holy solo textboxes Batman! I... really wasn't sure what to do about this. :P

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Insert pokemon walking music here.

*grabs some popcorn*

A squirtle! :o

An interesting little tidbit here, machop starts with tackle that only has 10 PP left. Very strange. I wonder, if the move had actually been super effective, would Wally have fainted the mon?

No no Wally that's all wrong, you go up and you snuggle the pokemon.

No Wally no! You'll scare it away with your strange ball throwing maneuvers!

Oh...
Waaaaait... did the game just sneak in a pokemon catching tutorial and put it in front of me without me being able to avoid it?

And so with that done, we go back to the Gym.

Where Wally is very thankful and then leaves. We'll probably never see him again, definitely not.

And so dad gives us a mission cause at the moment we were just sorta wandering forward up til now.

I AM NO MUSIC INSTRUMENT!

NOPE! NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOT YOU AGAIN!

So now we can finally check out this last house, which is Wally's.

Poor guy, I sorta know what's like to have a messed up body. :X
Let's hope he improves as time goes on then. :3

We made a guy happy! :D

Whelp we're done here time to... OH FOR THE LOVE OF... NOW WHAT?

Why yes, at least I think I am. I sorta ended up on this path after snuggling some cutes.

Clearly, in order to not be a rookie trainer, you must never wash your clothes. LIVE IN THE FILTHINESS OF YOUR CLOTHES.

...EXCUSE YOU?

Speedless

Postby Speedless » March 25th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Okay, it's probably time to start regularly splitting my comments into segments for easier scrolling as well. There's a lot of good stuff to get into here.

Session 3:
pholtos wrote:So I've always wondered this, what's with this weirdo rule about having pokemon = trainer = I have to fight other trainers? Why can't I just go nah and keep walking? :P

Why? Why is that a rule? Is there like an official trainer handbook or something that says it's so?

I think it must be an etiquette thing more than a rule rule. Maybe it evolved from the principle that trainer battles will make you stronger faster, which probably made it easier for early Pokemon and their trainers to survive. Sort of like those tribes Valdis hung out with, except the ritual combat was probably less deadly, given Pokemon's impressive healing powers.

Oh man a Staryu!

Cabochon get! The Spyro games gave me a very deep appreciation of faceted gems, but I've also grown to understand the charms of the polished ones since then. Staryu here is just one instance of asterism away from being a star ruby! I always liked the vivid orange palette the Yellow version gave Staryu better than the greenish-gray one Starmie got, too.

Though it wasn't in the party I used for the main game, I think the Starmie I used for the Battle Frontier may have been the Pokemon that really made me aware that fast special attackers were my type. As one of the few Water-types that can learn Thunderbolt, it does okay against other Water-types and generally makes a pretty cool all-out attacker.

And with Mr. Points added to the party, we're starting to develop a bit of an Electric weakness, which it so happens I had in my first Emerald team as well (I used Swellow, Walrein, and temporarily a Pelipper).

a combination firefly lizard

Are we going to get this as a regional Charizard form at some point?

I have no interest in cultivating berries so I'll probably just pick the ones I find, although I tend not to use berries anyway. :P

It may just be because I spent my formative Pokemon years in no-way-to-trade-induced scarcity, but I really love berry growing... in principle. I don't often do it because I'm used to having to water at every growth stage to actually get more than one berry per tree (curse yooooou, Lum Berrieeeees!!), and it's tricky to time planting so that you can water four times, harvest the berries before the tree withers, and also sleep. And the ones that take multiple days per growth stage are just silly.

Session 4:

This is a good profile.

An interesting little tidbit here, machop starts with tackle that only has 10 PP left. Very strange. I wonder, if the move had actually been super effective, would Wally have fainted the mon?

And if the borrowed Pokemon had been unable to damage the wild one somehow, would Wally simply throw the Poke Ball and get a scripted catch after one turn of flailing uselessly at it?

Oh...
Waaaaait... did the game just sneak in a pokemon catching tutorial and put it in front of me without me being able to avoid it?

This one at least a) introduces an actual character, b) shows us one way that trainers from places not especially close to a Pokemon Professor's lab might get their starters, and c) reveals the location of Ralts, a rare encounter you might not even think to look there for otherwise.

I wonder if Squirtle is actually the 4% encounter on Route 102 in this game... And is the Pokemon Wally catches marked as "seen" in your Pokedex as a result of the tutorial battle?

Clearly, in order to not be a rookie trainer, you must never wash your clothes. LIVE IN THE FILTHINESS OF YOUR CLOTHES.

I can't remember whether even the anime has ever brought up the robust laundry services the Pokemon world must have for all those trainers doing the Pokemon journey thing. That one episode with Corphish established that the twerps carry their own clothesline, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 26th, 2018, 10:40 am

Session 5: Party Member Four and A Developing Plot

Router 104 Lower:

WHERE'D THAT GUY GO! I NEED TO oh hello there I didn't see you come in. So uhh... Route 104!

This is a huge route separated into two sections with a forest inbetween. Also of note is what appears to be a dock of some sort and a large building in the upper area. Let's get started.

As we progress, these tips are probably going to become more advanced and less frequent... or replaced with signs.

Clearly the only way to avoid battle is to avoid all human interaction. Thanks for letting me know.

Oh no! I failed to not interact! What do I do in this situation, helpful lady? Helpful lady? Hello~?

I guess I'll snuggle this ziggy zaggy.

Oh... right. Mr. Points can do absolutely zilch to a zigzagoon. Whelp.

There we go. -w-

I then proceed to surprise a fish.

As a response to my surprising it, it uses whirlpool. Two can play at the damaging after turn moves game, sir fish! Have at you!

I sure do love running on sand but for some reason sand ends up in my shoes. This is a mystery that has confounded many a detective over the years.

We'll probably never know.

A magical tough pokemon? What could it be? :o

Dang it Menardi, you've drunk so much you're hallucinating.

And following it's drunken trainer's leader, Cleffa proceeds to use the Drunken Fist technique to defeat a starfish.

Clearly the only way to defeat a drunken master is to fight it with my own drunken techniques. Through a hard fought battle, Hooty Hoot just comes out victorious in the fight. Afterwards, Menardi sobers up, not realizing how she got here.

Or... maybe she hasn't sobered up just yet. Let's uhh... let's move on.

BOAT!

COTTAGE!

EMPTY!

A sailor's house but it's empty. Clearly this is unimportant to us.

A makuhita! :D

Fairly strong in two stats, fairly meh in four stats. I didn't manage to catch it on camera but I already knew its ability, Intimidate.

So my first thought was to simply throw out my false swipe user, which I sorta forgot who had it, and then I completely forgot the whole "oh yeah, fighting types hurt normal types a lot" and Droops fainted in one shot.

I managed to catch it after some hubbub.

Either that or the Makuhita are very constipated.

You wanted to be named after something, Luggi. Here you go! :kappa:

A fighting mon with it's two good stats in attack and defense. Not bad.

I then proceed to walk straight up into this trainer's sight line. Good job me.

Tewi, what are you doing faffing about here?

Ow.

Hooty taking care of business as per usual.

Berries get.

Petalburg Woods:

And now we proceed into the Woods.

Which didn't have a sign explaining that it was Petalburg Woods. Boo on you game.

A nice tip for training something like a magikarp in the normal game, or a hoppip... or abra... or ralts... yeesh.

Machop has the power to make it rain men.

So we have this guy in the bottom right... and immediately next to him a patch of tall grass with a single square that's empty... hmm... can you guys solve this difficult puzzle?

You're right! There was an item there! Good job guys.

Heading down the lower right exit to check out what's over here.

Throwing balls? Nonsense. Snuggling is the way to go. Snuggle someone else's pokemon.

And after saying "throw it at them not me", it gives me a pokeball. Thanks.

Oh geez oh geez.

Crap.

Okaaaay.... now back on track, we got an early game trainer that simply caught a whole buncha mons.

Droops easily handles the whole team... gee it's like quality beats quantity or something, and having a quality team of 6 is the way to go over the long run. :P

I always found the way they spell Paralyz on these items to be silly, why not just add the e at the end?

I am sorry, Mr. Event NPC, I have not seen a shroomish, at all.

Oh no, a guy wearing a bandana, gloves, a striped shirt, and the bandana has a skull and crossbones on it... you must be... a ninja!

We then get forced into the middle of this situation. Can't we all just hug it out? No? Cmon... oh fine.

Mokuba! What have they done to you... nyaa!

My starfish gets slapped but the Hoot master takes over as always.

He then proceeds to explain part of a plan, just like a minion of an evil organization would do... but naaah. There's no evil organization here, it's just a kitty. :3

For saving this guy from his cat allergies, I get a great ball. Great... a ball. It's also apparently a crisis.

Poor Wobbuffet gets no breaks. Razor wind is a two turn charging move that is only 80 power. So it's really not great.

Some good advice from this guy, cause as you saw earlier I sorta got destroyed by wild mons. So let's put his advice into practice.

Except you literally can't. Oh boy an encounter! :D

Bug Pokemon, the height of fads and trends. Let's see what bugs you got.

Oh wow you actually had a bug, Marisa, although given it's you I expected a paras, not a ladyba.

Ether get! Item that is very useful if you run low on PP and can't reach a center. Speaking of which...

This sign was about 6 steps to the right of that ether.

Curses! A small plant! Nothing I can do here, I must move on.

Route 104 Upper:

We have no arrived at the upper area of Route 104, with that large red roofed house.

The guy on the left gives us our first TM. I always wondered, how were these things made? Seems like something that should have been explained... somewhere... let's see here... The bulbapedia article on TMs gives me... nothing. Ah well.

Change from normal: Randomized TMs and HM compatibility. So here for instance Staryu is the only one so far that can learn bullet seed.

More berries!

Never bothered to show what the ones I had do, so here ya go. :3

So that red roofed building is a flower shop. Interesting spot to have a flower shop, tad out of town but ok.

This place is all about people who are crazy about berries.

Like this lady who gives us a pail to water berries.

And this person who- CANDY! :D

To the north of the building is a bit of tall grass and some items. Now since this area is part of route 104, I will not be catching another mon here.

Mr. Points finally gets a move that can hit Zigzagoon.

Here we get introduced to the concept of double battles. Clearly there won't be a double battle near this sign, nope.

I can't help but read this guys conversation as a semi-deep voiced snooty person.

For everything else, there's PokeDollars.

Oh sure, Griffy over here can decide whether or not to battle me when our eyes meet, but I can't. That's real fair game.

Thanks pichu! :D

Griff tells Nincada to throw sand at Luggi. Good job Griff. :kappa:

Curses... another small plant in the way.

WHAT? A DOUBLE BATTLE? SO CLOSE TO THAT SIGN? IMPOSSIBLE!

Meanwhile it's nearly impossible to show accurately who is attacking who in double battles cause all the mons do is blink depending on the one you have selected, so here's an incredibly good editing job showing you targeted who on my side.
Now in double battles, pokemon attack in order of speed, fastest goes first. Some pokemon moves, like Swift or Growl, and some abilities like Intimidate can hit both of the opposing mons.

But anyway I proceed to win easily. Continuing on!

Dang it Alice, what have I told you about getting drunk, going fishing and believing yourself to be a master of commanding fish?

Alice... Alice that's... that's a worm and a seed. Alice are you ok?

Alice please don't throw up right in front of me.

MORE BERRIES!

I am too lazy to replace the berries. Harrumph.

Til next time, Rustboro!
Last edited by pholtos on March 30th, 2018, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Griflion

Postby Griflion » March 26th, 2018, 11:24 am

pholtos wrote:Session 5: Party Member Four and A Developing Plot
Route 104 Upper:

Oh sure, Griffy over here can decide whether or not to battle me when our eyes meet, but I can't. That's real fair game.

Thanks pichu! :D

Griff tells Nincada to throw sand at Luggi. Good job Griff. :kappa:

GAH, my true form has been found out!
https://youtu.be/PTAXUYLbFYk
You saw nothing.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 26th, 2018, 3:55 pm

pholtos wrote:Image

Dang it Alice, what have I told you about getting drunk, going fishing and believing yourself to be a master of commanding fish?

Alice... Alice that's... that's a worm and a seed. Alice are you ok?

Alice please don't throw up right in front of me.

I couldn't help it! It was there to drink after all.
💙💙💙

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 29th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Session 6: This Gym Rocks

Gonna be doing a bit of editing experimentation with all these images, let me know if there's anything that you find off or whatnot.

Exploring Rustboro:

Welcome back, last time we traversed our way through a somewhat large route and a forest. Today we'll be exploring...

A... giant city. Hoo boy here we go. 8 Buildings, a pokecenter, pokemart and a gym. Let's get started.

I'll be going from the bottom to the top, doing the Gym last. So let's start with the bottom left building.

Upper Right: That is one scared Skitty.
Mid Left kid gives us what is essentially a shiny pokeball. Same catch rate just a different look. Guy has a dream.
Bottom two: Hey guys did you know the president's family likes to collect stones?

Hmm a pokemon changing shape causes electricity. Thanks for the info you two.

Left: Man people in this world sure want to go traveling a lot. Yeesh. I've never really found the appeal of it, I like my routine.
Right: Oh hey, it's another person talking about Mr. Briney. Clearly he has zero importance still.

Today's items of interest are the super potion, escape rope, paralyze heal and antidote, and since I have money now, I went ahead and stocked up.

I didn't mention this thing here previously. Basically it's the way to have mystery gift be unlocked, if you put in LINK TOGETHER WITH ALL... but I don't really care to since it does nothing for me.

ITEM LOCATE- ah bleh it's just an X item, an item that raises one stat/raises crit ratio/stops stat reduction in a single battle and does nothing else.

ANOTHER HOUSE!

This guy... has the greatest nickname sense I have ever se- ooh a TV.

Hmm... Cutter's house. I wonder who could possibly live here.

The guy who owns the Cut HM? What a surprise! I did not see this coming. (How do HMs get made anyway, and why do they work over and over while a TM only works once?)

Top Right: Uhh... you could umm... look... uhh... at the pokemon to uhh... find out?
Bottom Right: This guy is surprised that pokemon aren't without a personality. I feel sorry for his pokemon.

Top Left: As I am clearly the protagonist, I could defeat 6 trainers at once if the game would let me. But it won't. Harrumph.
Top Right: This would actually matter if I wasn't randomizing the mons, as it stands it's not very useful.
Bottom Two: Hey guys what building is this? I can't tell.

Oh... it's a school. I see. :3

Top Two: I'm just gonna do a quick rundown of these rather than get a picture of them all.
PSN: Poison, you get hurt the same amount each turn, unless you are badly poisoned via toxic, in which case the amount doubles each turn. Cured by an antidote.
PAR: Paralyzed, your pokemon's speed is halved and you sometimes can't attack. Cured by a paralyze heal.
SLP: Sleep, your pokemon is asleep for 2-5 turns (normally) and cannot attack except via moves that rely on sleep. Cured by an awakening.
BRN: Burn, your pokemon's attack is halved and you take a set amount of damage each turn. Cured by a burn heal.
FRZ: Freeze, your pokemon can't move til it thaws, either via a move or by good fortune. Can last forever if you're stupid unlucky. Cured by an ice heal.
All can also be cured with their associated berry, moves/items that cure any condition or by visiting a pokecenter. :3

Bottom Two: So lemme get this straight teacher, you smack kids with a claw if they aren't paying attention? Is that legal?

Top Two: It sure must be hard to take notes down when you're not facing towards the board and clearly aren't writing in that notebook I checked.
Bottom Left: Confuse is one of the status' I didn't explain up above. The ones above are the only status that don't go away when a battle ends. Other status' like confuse are things like Taunt, Curse, Leech Seed. That sort of thing.

YOU!

I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU. YOU WILL FACE MY WRATH.

There... I showed him.

Now then... what's this guy talking about? Cute? Yes I am. :3

Oh... cut. Yeah I got cut. Lemme see here.

Wow Luggi. Not able to learn Cut. :kappa:
I'll consider teaching it later, for now let's move on.

HOUSE BEHIND SCHOOL.

I know a lot of things, I should be a gym leader. My specialty can be the cute type. :3

HOUSE NEAR GUY WHO THINKS I'M A GRADESCHOOLER.

Ya know when I was editing this one, I accidentally combined these two's comments into one single comment since it flowed so well. :P

This guy needs a phrase that will make the girl laugh? I got this... :kappa:

Wow Luggi. :kappa:
In actuality though, Walda has a very hard to deduce method of being right. Feel free to read through that if you'd like, it's quite... confusing.

So many people, so many places, so many things. GIANT BUILDING!

Which we can't do much cause this guy won't let us go upstairs. -3-
Ah well, HOUSE NEXT TO GYM!

YOU DARE SAY THAT YOUR MON IS CUTE AND THEN HAVE THE GALL TO WANT TO TRADE THE CUTE? HOW. DARE. YOU. >:O

Rustboro Gym:

Here's this gen's stalker. He'll be following us around to every gym. Won't be very useful info wise in a rando run so yeah.

SHOW ME!

Wow Luggi. :kappa:
What happened was, Luggi got paralyzed then proceeded to not be able to attack every single turn afterwards til he fainted. Not my fault. :P

I'll let you know what I think when I see a rock type, Dracula.

Going here starts up a double battle. :3

Zuko is probably in the fire nation somewhere and Taneshima is constantly thinking about her height and not being able to grow.

Hope this wasn't too hard to follow, let's see...
Chinchou caused a sandstorm, which helped absolutely no one, and then fainted after accidentally inhaling sand. So to help solve the problem, Taneshima sent out a Machop to wash the sand away, and then screech at an owl. So in response the owl got pissed and took out both the mushroom and the screeching muscle man. Meanwhile Luggi learns to punch shadows, and then kicked a sloth.

I didn't actually realize this until looking up Shadow Punch, but it's literally the ghost type version of Swift, so good job Luggi, you now have two moves that can't miss.

Still haven't seen a rock type.

Rocks Anne wants to battle. Let's show her what a protagonist can do!

First mon is Baltoy.

Fairly strong in three stats, and with a combination ground/psychic, it has access to quite a few moves that can cause Luggi...

Problems.

IT ALSO KNOWS FISSURE. Fortunately it missed... twice.

Mon two is Psyduck.

Pure Water, solid stats all around, could be a pain depending on the moves it has.

A dramatic battle takes place between a duck and a starfish, WHO WILL COME OUT ON TOP?!?

The potion will. -3-

Thanks for ruining that epic contest, Watermelon.

I then proceed to lose cause more item abuse and the fact that that Psyduck has two stat boosting moves... and I'm underleveled.

Take two! It's ok guys, Luggi's got this!

Or not.

If you can use items, so can I!

Oh ho ho, take that. I win! :D
...What do you mean there's one more?

Oh no...

Ho geez. Ok uhh... calm down me, those are some strong stats, and it's five levels above me, so long as the moves aren't too bad I'll be all right.

Crap. One shotted three times.

Interlude! I teach Mr. Points bullet seed so it can handle the first two mons.

And it does quite well.

I then make Luggi act as a coward hopping in and out of the battle as a cheap stat dropper to lower the damage of air cutter, which is a physical attack.

Good hit Luggi! :pogchamp:

It... knows featherdance. So in other words it has a more effective Luggi as a move. Drops the attack stat by two.

Take uhh... four? Abuse that Intimidate, Luggi!

And I get hit with a featherdance, lovely. :P

Stop that! >:O

Combo Mirror Move, Air Cutter of my own! It comes down to who can crit first.

Of course.

I think after going 0-4 I might want to take some time and train, maybe check out the next Route. So til next time guys I'll uhh... think of something.
Last edited by pholtos on March 30th, 2018, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » March 29th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Now abridged and with minimal context, because the forum is inexplicably signing me out if I try to quote posts! Yaaaaay

To compensate, for this post only (I hope), a splash of color that only half solves the problem!

Welcome, Luggi! The Makuhita family is a nice one, though I'm never sure where EVs are most needed on a slow Mon with that much HP relative to its defenses. My fears of unfortunately placed Electric-types are now assuaged a little with this new Electric-neutral team member (replaced with fears of unfortunately placed Zapdos, but that's a concern for another time).

I approve of Gen VII's decision to make the X item boost two stages instead of one. Thanks to the monetary cost, I'd still rather try to use +2 stat-boosting moves instead in most cases, but it could be quite useful for Mons that don't normally get those moves. In this game? They might come in handy on occasion, but it'll be a while before they become a renewable resource.

[pholtos: "I could defeat 6 trainers at once if the game would let me."]
But there's only room for five at once!

(I am curious if there's a way to make a Horde trainer battle with more than six Pokemon in total--without it boiling down to "use one specific strategy or be crushed," and without watering down the trainers' levels to the point that they don't even pose a threat.)

[pholtos: "you smack kids with a claw if they aren't paying attention? Is that legal?"]
Maybe he's just using it to get Hyper Voice in (or perhaps Instruct?) before they can Slack Off.

Weather ability distribution is indeed making things silly, I see.

So Baltoy has Psychic--straight-up Psychic--at level 12, you say? That must be an interesting set of level-up moves... Baltoy would help with that Electric weakness a bit too, if you happen to find one at the right time.

... Aaaaand the first roadblock is indeed a Flying-type. I've always wanted to like using Butterfree... for more strongly meta reasons, I think, than most of my early Pokemon choices (it's good against Brock in Gen I because he uses only Normal moves for some reason, and its three-form family helped me get the Pokedex entries for Flash faster). It seemed to run out of steam somewhere in the midgame of Yellow, though. (Maybe it would do better now that I understand how to TM better...) In a run like this, though, it's got plenty of power to pose a threat.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 29th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Speedless wrote:Now abridged and with minimal context, because the forum is inexplicably signing me out if I try to quote posts! Yaaaaay

Sounds like a corrupt cookie issue or perhaps a cache issue. (First is more likely though.) Try clearing your cookies for the site and your browser cache and see if that helps.
💙💙💙

Speedless

Postby Speedless » March 29th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Alice wrote:Sounds like a corrupt cookie issue or perhaps a cache issue. (First is more likely though.) Try clearing your cookies for the site and your browser cache and see if that helps.

One or the other seems to have done it. Guess I was having a bit of tunnel vision there. In the past, only the Quote button on the regular thread page did that, so I was used to working around it. Thanks for the quick resolution.

pholtos wrote:In actuality though, Walda has a very hard to deduce method of being right. Feel free to read through that if you'd like, it's quite... confusing.

I wasn't even thinking about this the first time around, but this secret PC box wallpaper event seems like a really baffling thing to hide in an out-of-the-way corner of a video game. How would anybody stumble on one of the 256 correct sequences without already knowing how the whole thing worked? How would they guess that a good sequence would just be random characters, and (of the letters) all consonants at that? Raw text entry must be one of the most obscure possible input methods for this. Were they intending it to be nigh-impossible to figure out until someone opened up the game and looked at the actual algorithm? Is it the logical extension of those obscure secrets in old video games that spread through rumors?

I just... It's fascinating and actually kind of cool, but in the most question-mark-inducing way possible.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 31st, 2018, 6:29 am

Session 7: Exploring Above Rustboro and Rustboro Rematch

Part 1:

Welcome back, last time I TOTALLY won against Roxanne. Yup. *cough* So with Roxanne TOTALLY beaten, I'm heading off northward to explore.

Missed this guy last time, but yes, he has a thing to say. Enjoy.

Route 115! I can't wait to explore this place!

Oh darn it, the giant puddi friends are having a lovely time in the upper area of this route. I can't possibly pass them, so I guess I'll head back down for now.

I won't be counting route 115 towards the routes where I catch a mon in since I literally can't access the wild grass on the route and won't be able to for quite a while.

I am then informed how caves are inhabited by Zubats and I find out someone has graffitied a poor innocent sign. How could they! D:
Also, Route 116!

This route has a lot of people and a lotta tall grass, as well as an upper area that I can't do anything in cause I'd need cut.

Is your pokemon the king of England? :o

Excuse me, I mean queen of England.

Young people always have the weirdest fads. What's up with that?

If you don't want your pokemon to Evolve, sneak up behind them and sneeze. They will become startled and fall over. Oh wait that's me.

Bug pokemon!

During this battle, Hooty Hoot learns Facade. Holy cow that's actually a really good move.

Reminder, this is the mon with Marvel Scale, so not only would its defense go up 50% but this move would have 140 power.

ITEMS!

I run into a wild Hitmonlee which KOs two of my mons cause it hits hard.

This person studies way too much, the only people who could possibly need to study that much are people who are gonna be doctors or-

Prosecutors. What are you from the Phoenix Wright universe? How can you be shocked you lost? Geez prosecutors in those games just can never believe it when they lose. :P

Or ya know, you could go around it. Might be less tiring.

Yeah Tewi, you're in no shape to be climbing mountains.

Droops learns a move that Mr. Points already knows, not too stronk, but can change typing depending on the weather.

Hurray! I'm entertaining!

Part 2:

Wild pokemon hunt! Nope... nope... nope... nope... ow hot foot!

Ooh a Carvanha!

One really good stat, 2 good stats, 1 ok stat and 2 bad stats.

And it has speed boost... oh ho ho... this will be good.

Carvanha, the only confident in groups pokemon.

After giving Carvanha an amazing name, I give it a rock.

*laughs evil* Oh ho ho... this will be good. So it's amazing stat looks to be it's Special Attack... and both water and dark are Special type moves in this generation. So basically Carvanha will destroy the world. AND it has speed boost, so it's possibly worst stat isn't too big a handicap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tJYN-eG1zk

Small training montage later, I fight this guy and Sir Fin destroys the world.

Top Left: Then dig it! Follow your dreams!
Mid Left: No one seems to be explaining why it has been so far. The mystery shall be solved.
Bottom: MYSTERIOUS!

Rusturf Tunnel! No map this time, yet. Gonna wait for a bit on this one.

Featuring cacoons and a giant steel dinosaur that can use a flying move. Oof.

And this is why I'm waiting, there's stuff here I can't do quite yet.

Disable might be fairly useful if I keep it around, you never know.

Luggi learns to be SWOL at the cost of swiftness.

ALL RIGHT YOU WATERMELON! I SHALL DEFEAT YOU!

Argh! Ok so I learned something from this, mons seem to keep the item originally held by the original mon, like this butterfree and the oran berry.

SLIGHTLY MORE TRAINING!

Sir Fin took out Baltoy easily.

And is worthless against Butterfree, this is why. :P
Pin missile is a bug move, one of dark type's weaknesses. (Fighting being the other one.)

Luggi just cannot catch a break.

Hooty Hoot causes potion spam.

MR. POINTS HAS HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR POTION USAGE.

VICTORY IS MINE!

I now understand that in order to keep winning as the gym leader I must stock up on even more healing items.

For our victory, we get our first badge and the TM rock tomb. Might look into seeing if anyone can use that later on.

Definitely your cheering, yup. That's why it took me like 6 tries to win in all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57x-ZiHhtp4

Upon leaving the gym, we are told to get out. I was so confused by what he meant since I was already outside that I never moved as he escaped to the North.

Then this guy goes chasing after the guy since he took his... sir do we need to take you to a drug rehab program or something... S-sir? Please come back, sir!

Speedless

Postby Speedless » March 31st, 2018, 7:13 am

The Butterfree-Mandated Detour; Also That Butterfree:
pholtos wrote:During this battle, Hooty Hoot learns Facade. Holy cow that's actually a really good move.

Reminder, this is the mon with Marvel Scale, so not only would its defense go up 50% but this move would have 140 power.

Even unboosted, it's a bit stronger than Hooty Hoot's current Flying moves. I used to forget that Normal/Flying-types could make good use of Normal STAB because the allure of super-effective hits isn't there, but a little raw power could make the difference when you run into something that isn't weak to what you have.

Prosecutors. What are you from the Phoenix Wright universe?

She's Prosecutor Planet. That's where Franziska comes from!

Ooh a Carvanha!

And it has speed boost... oh ho ho... this will be good.

And so, by the power of random chance, Sir Fin's ability randomized to something Carvanha can canonically have! And the team's Electric weakness expands as well... Still, Speed Boost might make enemy Electric-types manageable with good timing.

That Butterfree, though, man. If the strategy for the first Gym is luring out the main threat and wearing it down with four team members (half of them quite close to its level!), that's a... concerning precedent to set for the potentially harder later fights. Let's hope those later fights use up more healing items on their less dangerous Pokemon.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 3rd, 2018, 4:21 am

Session 8: Rustboro Cleanup

The Part With Not Too Much Talking:

Welcome back, so last time we finally beat up a Watermelon, and this time we'll go deal with a drug addict.

Fortunately he wasn't too hard to find. Hey buddy we gotta talk.

Uh oh, he's just the dealer. Seems someone higher up is looking for those drugs.

Whelp I want nothing to do with thi- oh don't look at me that way... fine.

Oh right, the tunnel. The tunnel with nothing in it, the tunnel chosen specifically for this set of events, the event tunnel. That tunnel?

Ok hold it. Hold it! Hold everything!
Do you mean... this thing?

This thing that normally has the ability Soundproof.

... All righty then game.

Guy went in here? Guess I'll Peekon in there and see what I can find.

Defeated by a fish trap, poor Chen.

Oh dear, rival drug gangs, I probably shouldn't be getting involved in oh dang it why did you give these to me, now what.
Also, an old man... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.
Sorry sorry old habit.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABIT.
Ok that was just dumb, continuing on.

Checking the TM and HM compatibility now, wow Luggi. :kappa:

This is what it looks like to use an ability outside of battle, regardless of what it is. I probably won't show this again. :P

A magic bag! :O
I want a magic bag.

Wow these two are quite the duo.

Ah of course, Minna! I should have known.
BY THE POWER OF ONE SHOTS! (Ignore the spearow)

How dare I ruin a guys hairdo. Well at least I get a really good item out of it.

Or not.

I don't think I need to be taught the power of dorb.

You think cuteness is your ally? You merely adopted the cute. I was born in it, molded by it. (Ok what's with me and dumb references today?)

A steamed watermelon? Oh dear.

Here we see some berries that haven't finished growing yet. I watered them. :3

Umm yes, here. Take them. I don't want to get involved.

The Part With Way Too Much Talking:

NOOOO I DON'T WANT TO BE INVOLVED! Stahp! Dang it am I going to be coerced into having to deliver drugs? Curses.

OK OK FINE FINE JUST STOP TALKING SHEESH! Huh? What's this letter? What's this weird machine? Uhhh... I'll be going now.

HOW UNEXPECTED!

Welcome to the building of a lot of people in suits who tell you how their projects are going.

Oh this is a Pokenav? Do I snuggle it?

Ooh a map! And a...thing. That shows my party pokemon and a pentagon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aegP8j5al0

Ah, it's Valve. I shoulda known.

I wanna do the things too! :D
...Why are you all looking at me like that.

Oh wonderful, I'm always welcome in their drug cartel. Thanks.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT ANOTHER ONE!

:O
A new thing! Since it's new, I doubt many people will have this yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEmO-v2R4G0

I found it! :D

Mr. Stone pulls out his inner Wario at me.

All righty then. Guess I'm done here so I'll head south.

Oh boy, you.

WHY IS EVERYONE SO TALKATIVE TODAY?
Wait... HOW DID YOU HAVE A POKENAV WITH MATCH CALL? Didn't I literally JUST get that?
And shush, I declined cause my mons are all outta order levelwise.

Imma boop you lady.

It's time to see his latest and greatest creation.

A fast stronk Pinecone.

And his master plant.

NO WAY, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!
Also, I wonder if I need to go see Mr. Briney or something. HMM...

Heading back south, I'll be getting some stuff I couldn't previously.

If you were able to get here via shenanigans before getting the first badge, would she say something different or otherwise not let you have the seed until you did? I know you need to use cut to get here normally but I mean if you walked through walls or like... squeezed past the tree, I dunno.

MORE ITEMS!

BRINEY HOUSE!

PEEKO!

WHY IS EVERYONE SO TALKATIVE?!?
So apparently the letter is for someone in dewford, all righty then.
Away we go!

Route I don't care cause I can't explore it!

Wait wait wait, how did you hear that. Did he talk about it on the TV? Did he somehow know you were my dad and called you? I am very confused.

DAD NORMAN! THE GREATEST OF NAMES!
...Does that make her... Mom Norman?
and me... pholtos Norman?

Another Route I don't care about cause I can't explore it and Dewford!

Ah thanks for the reminder, I didn't know who to give this thing to.

Til next time guys, we'll be exploring Dewford.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 4th, 2018, 9:36 am

Session 9: Taking This Session for Granite

Welcome back, last time we got dragged into the middle of a battle between rival underworld groups, and today we'll explore Dewford.

Today we're dealing with Route 106 and that there Cave. Cause I felt like it.

Starting with... do I even need to say anything? This battle literally wrote the joke. I have no need to add to this image. Why you do this game.

Remember to press buttons when attempting to fish.

Given that if I'm in the sea a fishing rod won't really work that well, I'll go with a stream.

The cacoon brothers attack with punches and horns. Poor Droops...

And immediately after finishing, the drunk gives me her phone number. All righty then.

I haven't tended to show this very well so far in the text LP so here's an example of an item you can't see but is there if you search that tile.

CAVE!

Now with the help of some impressive editing, you'll see which ladder connects to which, should help you understand my path cause... well...

The cave is dark outside of this floor. I have zero intention of teaching this move, so I'mma bump my way through the cave.

Droops is really suffering from a gigantic defense problem. I'll do what I can for him.
Although on the flipside his special stats are great. I'll have to supply him with some special type moves.

Escape rope!

So even I'm not entirely sure why I felt like making a Brady Bunch reference but this picture would have been extremely uninteresting otherwise. So here's Alice. Oh ho ho Alice, I showed your face, what now?

Lotsa wild mons in this here cave, just look at em all. Goodness you've got almost every type in here, even a ghost!

We bring the contact a letter that we got from one of the bad groups, and he gives us a wing in return. Okie.

We then both go our own ways.

I then had a sudden desire to see all of my mons hit level 16 to be all even, so I'm gonna be doing a bit of training now.

Steel Wing potential recipients. Steel is a physical type.

Now I'm probably a dumb but I replaced my strongest normal attack on Droops with a move that has the same attack power. Ah well.
Also, the owl can now punch with lightning and the fish got a stronger water attack.

And thus the training ends. Next time we'll explore the town and take on the gym. Til then.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » April 5th, 2018, 1:18 am

pholtos wrote:Oh ho ho Alice, I showed your face, what now?

Wow, that's just rude!

Also I somehow managed to read Droops' everstone on the status screen as "everyone." Was really curious what the hell an everyone item does, lol.
💙💙💙

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 6th, 2018, 6:00 am

Session 10: Dewford Do Not, There Is No Try

(Oh my word please someone stop me from making terrible session titles)
Dewford Exploration:

Welcome back, last time we explored a dark cave and gave a letter to a guy for some reason or another. Today we'll be exploring Dewford

I start by seeing who can learn flash for curiosity. Luggi can flash people, confirmed. :kappa:

Eurgh... this place. The trendy house.

There is a "SMALL GROUP" of people in this one building, who are all into the latest trend.

and by talking to this fellow, I can change the trend. :3

Much better. :3
So fun fact about changing the trend, it randomizes the squares that you can catch a Feebas. Also, it's apparently hard to change the trend a second time without doing this thing called record mixing or whatever it's called, I dunno it's some multiplayer thing.

Yes, cute sleep is truly the best thing.

Here let me help you. :3

There you go! :D

Left Picture: Good info for those who don't know it, and also a wise thing. Imagine if you were using surf and the surf pokemon fainted.
Right Picture: I've noticed.

Going in here, first thing I instinctively do is try to fit inside this vase. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out.
I also get Minna. :3

Talking to this guy nets you a rod.

If we head to the right, we reach the extremely vast to cross on foot Route 107. Time to fish.

The only other result features your character pulling back the rod and saying not even a nibble.

Oh man a weepinbell got fished.

FINAL HOUSE.

Where we see a lovely couple enjoying life. :3

Dewford Gym:

Hmm a big wave in fighting... clearly this guy specializes in water/fighting pokemon. Let's see here... Poliwrath. All righty then.

Ah dang it who turned out the- oof

So this gym has a really pointless and silly darkness gimmick so I made it easier for you all by simply putting here a picture of the layout without the silly darkness.

And the stalker guy explains the darkness gimmick. Let's go!

I left my art tools at home, sorry.

SLOTH CHOP!

Did you, I don't know, try meeting Brawly OUTSIDE the gym?

I sorta treat this gym like a maze, so I'm not really stumbling, just wandering around.

Double battle commentary time. So droops cuts a bug but the bug isn't happy about that so it noms on droops, meanwhile Luggi kicks a fish twice but gets poisoned by it. So he quickly punches it again cause that was a wise idea the first time, and then gets attacked by a bug's smoky campfire that it built. Meanwhile the bug gets hit quickly while it's working on the fire, and then an owl shows up replacing Luggi and blows the campfire out with its wings causing the bug to run away crying.

How dare you defeat me, you deserve to accidentally go back to the start of a maze.

Good luck with that.

You attacked me with a single low level mon, what did you think would happen, ya goldfish.

At least they have dreams they're aiming for.

So fun fact about this gym, you can ignore every trainer and go straight to Brawly. So uhh, I could technically pass this guy without fighting him if I wanted.

Droops is still barely winning fights. Poor thing.

Well if Might is right then...

Let's have Luggi one shot the guy. Good work Luggi.

Ah yep, that was skill all right. Yup.

All right, time for the gym leader, better watch out for all his water/fighting type mons.

Oh noes! A Mars Adept Detective!

First mon is the dreaded Slakoth!

Three all right stats, three meh stats.

Luggi takes it out fairly easily.

Mon two, Vulpy!

Two all right stats, four ok stats.

I then have to deal with the potion spam while nearly one shotting the thing each time. :P

Mon three, Spinarak! (Another bug third mon, oh joy.)

One all right stat, four ok stats, one meh stat.

Oh boy here we go. See even if I've got type advantages and what not, it doesn't mean much if I'm a few levels lower. Also, poison tail is a thing.

Sir Fin gets ruined by bad luck and bug moves.

Droops deals damage.

Mr. Points gets... hit by a string shot. All righty then game.

For defeating Brawly, the lights turn on fully. Wouldn't a battle in the dark be sorta silly, I mean imagine if the anime had a gym like this.

For defeating Brawly, I could not use flash although it's sorta silly to need a gym badge to use flash in the first place but whatever. I also get Bulk Up even though I may not use it and register Brawly in my phone thingy.

Stalker guy compliments me again.

Til next time, we'll head towards Slateport. Til then.

Speedless

Postby Speedless » April 6th, 2018, 8:06 am

Oh my word please someone encourage pholtos to continue making magical session titles:
pholtos wrote:Eurgh... this place. The trendy house.

You don't like this place?

Much better. :3

It gave you the power to win the Internet for the second time at a minimum in the last three episodes! (The first being that bit with the Devon computer, and I'd count the Brady Bunch reference/Alice face reveal as well.)

The Trendy Phrase really is a nice opportunity to personalize one's own playthrough, though its effects are sadly localized. Mine was just the goofiest thing I could piece together from the game's limited vocabulary.

So fun fact about changing the trend, it randomizes the squares that you can catch a Feebas. Also, it's apparently hard to change the trend a second time without doing this thing called record mixing or whatever it's called, I dunno it's some multiplayer thing.

I think I remember it changing on its own after a while... Come to think of it, I forget whether I ever succeeded in changing it again after the first time, even after it changed on its own.

So fun fact about this gym, you can ignore every trainer and go straight to Brawly. So uhh, I could technically pass this guy without fighting him if I wanted.

That... is rather silly. Maybe it really is the case that nobody knows what's going on in this Gym.

Super Bonus Mathematical and Analytical Interlude:
First mon is the dreaded Slakoth!

Three all right stats, three meh stats.

With the randomized abilities, Slaking might turn out to be really dangerous... if we ever see one.

Mon two, Vulpy!

Two all right stats, four ok stats.

I then have to deal with the potion spam while nearly one shotting the thing each time. :P

That's probably the safest way to burn a major opponent's healing items, if one that feels somewhat futile in the moment. Predicting a heal and stat-boosting while they do it can put an end to the tension, though (and possibly the rest of the battle as well).

Oh boy here we go. See even if I've got type advantages and what not, it doesn't mean much if I'm a few levels lower. Also, poison tail is a thing.

Among the things Reborn has taught me is that five extra levels can make a battle a lot easier... and the difference is a little bigger than it might look from the raw stat gains. According to The Cave of Dragonflies, there's a factor of

Code: Select all

floor(2 * L / 5 + 2)

(where L is the attacker's level) in Pokemon's damage formula. That factor increases by 2 every five levels, but since it's rounded down to an integer value, it won't actually increase until your level gets to the next multiple of 2.5. In practice, this means you get a little damage boost when you reach a level that can be expressed as 5k or 5k + 3 for some non-negative integer k. So the power gap between level 67 and level 68, for example, might be a little bit bigger than the gap between 66 and 67 was.

These little level-based power boosts are barely noticeable individually; even if you technically gain an extra 1.5x damage multiplier just for going from level 2 to level 3, I'm not sure it really feels like you gain that much more power than you do when you get to level 4. However, combine it with the raw stat gains, and you definitely end up stronger at level 85 than you were at level 82, better able to handle fights that were downright nightmarish before. *cough* Reborn's Mega Ring sidequest *cough*

For defeating Brawly, the lights turn on fully. Wouldn't a battle in the dark be sorta silly, I mean imagine if the anime had a gym like this.

If you were training an army of Pokemon trainers, intending to cultivate blind-fighting as a nationwide skill so that you could effectively fight your enemies at night and such, that could be a way to do it. Even as a regular old Pokemon Gym, I guess it could teach trainers not to rely too strongly on the ability to see what's going on... or to just keep light-producing Pokemon around.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 6th, 2018, 8:15 am

I'm not a fan of the trendy house cause it's full of NPCs, so lots of screenshots to edit together. :P

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 7th, 2018, 8:27 am

Session 11: That's My Last Mon? It Can't Beach!

(Oh my word me stop.)
A Slight Detour:

So last time we beat Brawly who fortunately didn't have too bad a team, and today we'll talk to the old man...

And head on to Slateport.

But first, a lot of traveling to the right.

Eventually, I will deliver the goods and get far away from these evil organizations.

But I have something to take care of first, the last mon of my team.

is... not that.

A... mankey. All right, my typing is gonna be super horribad but fine. :P
(Two normal mons, two water mons, two fighting mons.)

Here's it's normal statline. Two good stats, four meh stats.

Caught after a short fight successfully.

INSTANT ANGER.

I struggled mightily in thinking up a name for this thing, I was just at a loss.

I eventually settled on The Snoot, and as always gave it an everstone.

It's ability is... what it normally would have. Not complaining, vital spirit isn't bad. Stats show it's strong stats are in Sp. Attack and Speed.
So with that, I have my full list. I made this for my own use while I play:
Physical - Luggi, Hooty Hoot, Mr. Points
Normal
Fighting
Flying
Ground
Rock
Bug
Ghost
Poison
Steel

Special - Droops, Hooty Hoot, Mr. Points, Sir Fin, The Snoot
Water
Grass
Fire
Ice
Electric
Psychic
Dragon
Dark

Heading back down, Roxanne calls me and shares some gossip.

And so she has been added to the call list.

The Beach:

Now with the final mon in hand, let's fight some trainers.

Starting with this sailor with birds. The Snoot will be doing the ringaround for a while in battles to get Exp.

Oh stop it you.

It's taking so long I don't even see it.

Hey, I'm no savant. You take that back.
Soft Sand is a hold item that boosts ground attacks.

Double battle! One wants Pop and one might be a Pop.

The Mooper and the Faffer, together at last. They didn't exactly cause me much difficulty at all.

And before I can do anything, I'm attacked by a third trainer, who is pretend swimming on land. You go you.

Fear the diglett that waggles its finger at you.

Well then maybe don't use a doughnut as an inner tube.

You're a sailor but anyone can get seasick. That's the way it is, bud.

...Why?

Here's one of the things I consider dumb about pokemon, they are referring here to Effort Values. A thing you get as you fight pokemon that can slightly influence your stats over time. It's a pain to explain but basically those aren't super apparent to the regular player.

Zigzaguguu picks up the slack.

Oh wow, an item that is literally just sitting here, clearly nothing strange at all.

Oh, I should have known! A kid ambush!

Phew, I barely won that. Good thing the right guy only had a magikarp and a metapod. Imagine if he also had a kakuna!

Right guy: I don't follow, what does your inner tube have to do with battling?
Left girl: Uhh...

No.

The Hot House:

Oh geez, a rhyming child. We gotta get outta here.

I'm sorry, I have zero fire mons. I cannot grant your request.

Of course it's hot, your bird made it sunnier!

Maybe next time don't turn on the sun.

Hi Mr. Zee! Oh man a reward? :o

Please put your shirt back on.

Ah yes, Mechazawa, clearly the hottest character in history.

Also poor Snoot got crit KO'd by a thunderbolt. Poor thing.

I have this strange feeling they're trying to advertise something...
It's probably nothing but I'm feeling thirsty.

I'd only cry if you had a fish and a pink thing.

I dunno, I'd still carry around some kinda life jacket just in case, you never know, kid.

Are you coming onto me, Mr. Vee? I'll just... take the soda's and go. Thanks Mr. Gee.

Next time, Slateport. Til then.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » April 11th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Session 12: Slated To Be Long

Section 0:

Welcome back to pholtos slowly goes through talking simulator 2004. Today we'll deal with...

Slate... port. Oh... dear... me... This place is huge. Probably the biggest city in the entire game. Whelp. Let's get to work.

Section 1:

Here's a super complex method of showing what section one covers. ADMIRE IT!

Hmm, startled by lighthouses. Let's see here...

... Uhh... let's just... move on.

Battle Tent mention count - 1

Left Image: A small explanation of Natures, although it's not something shown very well this generation if I recall correctly.
Right Image: Battle Tent mention count - 2

This is actually a pretty clever idea once a boat is unusable, at least in the pokemon world.

I... you... wat.

Old people tend to have philosophical or wisdomy things to say I've noticed.

Ohhhhh my word look at all these people. Why are you all blocking that place, come on now.

What she said.

I guess it would make sense to call the one captaining a voyage a captain, yes.

Well yes, it's a line, but for what?

Ok but uhh... what is it? Come on, someone tell me.

A museum, huh. Wonder what the guy wants.

Advertising!

Thanks for telling me, Mr. Friendly Guy! :D

A leader rewarding his workers with a vacation after a tough task, what a nice group. :3

This is a no butts zone. So says this guy.

Now that's not very nice, a museum is an informative place. :3

ImageImage

By this point I was tired of commenting on each of these guys' things so I just smushed the rest together.

Whelp I guess I'll take this spot in line and wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTAzKelzfOc

... I'll come back later.

...Right.

Market time!

Whenever I visit a market, I wonder why I'm at a market, I don't like being around people.

This place sells a lotta unique items. Here we have a doll merchant.

I have to go for the Mankey a little harder, apparently.

Here we have a medicine vendor, which honestly might be useful... maybe.

Sir... sir you're holding a Tangela. Sir it's annoyed with you. Please put the Tangela down sir.

These vases never have anything in them. -3-

Except when the ocean decides it's had enough and Typhoons you in the butt. Oh right, this is a butt free zone. Sorry.

Secret Power -> Secret Society...
Hidden Power -> Hidden Society...
Nature Power -> Nature Society. :3

Also, I've had enough of "the good stuff" for one playthrough, thanks.

Here we have a mechanic I've actually never bothered with cause I never cared about it. :P
I might try and show it at some point, but not this Session. Slateport is too big.

Section 2:

All righty, time for the upper left area.

Starting with a fan club. Probably will contain a couple people and a talkative head of the fan club.

ImageImageImage

Here we have three people all talking about happiness and what things could effect happiness and whatnot. They're a big fan of that here.

I got involved in an interview, but as for what my responses were... well... you'll have to wait til a later date for those. :3c

Here we find a move tutor for the move swagger, which I don't care to have at present. It's nice to see everyone able to learn it, though.

Pokemon Fan Club Chairman introduces the concept of contests to us. Contests... well I'll show them off, but given the nature of my randomization run, I may not have a mon that can really do well in it, but we'll see.

The mons in here have the greatest noises.

The name rater is in this city... somewhere. We'll get to him eventually.

Slateport's Mart introduces Great Balls for sale. Not much else to say this time around.

Left picture: I most certainly did not make this mistake and get bodied by the Elite Four, nope.

Ah here he is.

My names are perfect, I see no reason to change them. -w-

Battle Tent Mention Count - 3

Battle Tent! I did not expect to find this in this city, no sir.

*cringes at the horrible talking*

This sounds like me and food, except I'm even more hesitant to try food's I'm unfamiliar with.

ImageImage

Outta things to say for here.

Next to the guy at the counter is this sign...

Which has a lot to say. Oof.

I'm gonna be showing off this for the time being, but won't go too in depth at present, there's still things to do in this initial pass of the city.

Upon entering the hall, we are given six mons to pick three out of.

These were my options.

And right away you'll notice the giant problem with my team. I didn't select Magikarp.

YOU ENJOY THAT EGG, MAN.

As is apparent, the random trainers of the battle tent's name did not get randomized. Ah well.

This darn Pelipper did not attack me til I ran outta Destiny Bonds. :P

And so I howled at it and then lost to a Muscle Man.

With the third mon being literally impossible for me to defeat with my lotad. What an annoying moveset.
YOU ENJOY THAT TASTY VICTORY MAN. YOU BE YOU.

I will probably return to try again next Session.

Section 3:

All right, last two buildings. (Finally)

But first, an interruption by someone who couldn't catch a cocoon.

I am in complete agreement with this guy, I too am a bush.

Ah yes, I am also familiar with all the indoor harbors of the world.

See? An indoor harbor. -w-

Well clearly they need to build a larger submarine. There's no other option.

I bet it'd be wet, and you'd be under a lot of pressure, and you couldn't breathe without some kinda device.
It sure is a good thing we'll never be in a situation like that. No diving for this guy.

But I wanted to ride on a Fairy. Ah boo.

Final place, they have a help wanted sign right on their info sign thingy.

Guy one thinks the ocean is basically alive.

Guy two can't ride on boats. (Perfectly fine, might I add.)

Guy three explains a concept to me, and all I can think about is professor oak asking me if I'm a buoyancy or a guirlancy.

You heard it here folks. If you need a big boat designed, ask a carpenter.

Mr. Pun name over here can't boat... and won't get these goods off my hands. Dang it I don't want these. :X

This woman now says something different after the line randomly going away after talking to Hickory back there.

He... he lied to me... how could he.

I WON'T FORGIVE YOU!

Return to “LP Smackdown 20-0-10”