The talkhaus' MaGLx 2 discussion

A place to show off your completed or in progress video game projects. Mods? Hacks? Whatever you call it when you make your own thing? Reveal your junk to random strangers!
Glitch

Re: The talkhaus' MaGLx 2 discussion

Postby Glitch » February 28th, 2015, 6:44 am

Alice wrote:
GlitchedGhost wrote:Once I'm done moving I should have the time to finish it, so hooray. :D

Well you've got about a week left. The initial moving in can be quick if you don't do it all at once too. Though I am speaking from personal experience and I don't own a whole lot personally.

And I'm still up for testing your level for you when you want people to test it. (I will be gone almost all day Monday though so that would be one day where I probably couldn't.)

I doubt it'd be done Monday anyway. We're gonna be travelling a total of 650 km since we're moving quite a ways, and by the time we have everything unloaded (half being stored at my aunt's, the other half with us), my roomie and I are going to be dead and sleep for about 20 years. Or at least a lot of Sunday.
We don't have a lot of stuff, thankfully.

I will post when my level is done, so you know. I'd like to get at least one other person to test it, so I'll worry about it when it comes to that.

(I should be sleeping right now but my nose is plugged and I can't breathe. Ugh, curse being out of allergy meds!)
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

Eila

Postby Eila » March 1st, 2015, 5:32 am

Almost done my level. I went a bit overboard with my custom graphics. I was hoping to do my own music too, but I won't have time now so I'll just take some existing ones. It doesn't matter too much, my name was based off an existing thing already so plenty of music ready to use.

Now I just need to fix up a handful of graphics, then add npcs and a few text boxes and that's it.

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 5th, 2015, 7:18 am

I haven't touched my level since before we moved, but at least now I'm moved and "settled" (in quotes because we're not really that unpacked, we need new furniture like a bed and some shelves and we need to repack everything). Let's just say that shit luck happened during our move which resulted in us being awake for ~26 hours and getting the Uhaul stuck.
It's been a few days, and while my energy is still lacking, I'm going to work on my level more tomorrow. Thank god for the extension, it'll give me a lot more time to work with.
At least I'm over half done.

Horikawa Otane

Postby Horikawa Otane » March 6th, 2015, 10:14 pm

So here's an important announcement regarding MaGL X in general… Next year, there likely WILL NOT BE A MaGL X.

What this means is… If you want to see raocow react to your level, NOW IS THE TIME TO DO IT! =D

You've got tons of time left – you have until the 9th of March, 2015 at 00:01am EST. Basically until the first minute of Monday.

You have time to make a more involved level from scratch still, but why not try to make a short one-screen or one-section level? They're quite popular these days it seems and it'd only take an hour or two to makeeven if you don't know the engine at all yet and haven't started on your level!

Even if your level is incomplete, slap a star at the end and send it to me. We love incomplete levels here too – some did pretty darn well last year~! <3

Oh and don't worry – some of the best levels thus far have basically been entirely vanilla. So if you're feeling worried about not using custom graphics or music, don't be!

You have plenty of time guys – I definitely think you can do it. You guys are smart, you guys have great level designers in you itching to get out on the SMBX canvas, and I know you'll make raocow and I proud this year, no matter how well you do!

If you need help learning the engine or with specific graphics or whatever, don't forget to take a look at the tutorials in the sign up thread =)

ImageImageImageImageImage

Oh, also when submitting your level to me, please use the following format (don't worry if you've already submitted):

Level Name Selected:
    Character the Player Should Start the Level As:

Please fill out the second one, even if you're designing your level around two characters. It'll help the judges a lot =).

(To explain more or less why there likely won't be a MaGL X next year… It's because of how long this LP is going to take, it's just not fair to raocow to keep this going every single year. Next year will likely be a SMW MaGL. However, the next MaGL X will come probably the year after)

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 7th, 2015, 12:03 am

Hope you guys like pun levels. :kappa:

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 7th, 2015, 12:25 am

pholtos wrote:Hope you guys like pun levels. :kappa:

Hehe I love puns
I MEAN
PUNS ARE TERRIBLE AND YOU SHOULD FEEL TERRIBLE
-pelts with tomatoes-

chridd

Postby chridd » March 7th, 2015, 9:29 am

Is it too late to sign up? and should I sign up even if I'm not sure if I'll get around to actually making a level (and not sure if I can get the SMBX level editor to work on my computer...)?

Horikawa Otane wrote:ImageImageImageImageImage
...HURUYHURUYHURUY...

GlitchedGhost wrote:

Hehe I love puns
I MEAN
-pelts with tomatoes-
...what do so many people have against puns?

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 7th, 2015, 5:31 pm

chridd wrote:Is it too late to sign up? and should I sign up even if I'm not sure if I'll get around to actually making a level (and not sure if I can get the SMBX level editor to work on my computer...)?

You could literally sign up the last day, it's just a matter of if you get a level done or not.

chridd wrote:
GlitchedGhost wrote:

Hehe I love puns
I MEAN
-pelts with tomatoes-

I actually love puns
They're so... punny

Horikawa Otane

Postby Horikawa Otane » March 7th, 2015, 8:15 pm

chridd wrote:Is it too late to sign up? and should I sign up even if I'm not sure if I'll get around to actually making a level (and not sure if I can get the SMBX level editor to work on my computer...)?

Horikawa Otane wrote:ImageImageImageImageImage
...HURUYHURUYHURUY...

GlitchedGhost wrote:

Hehe I love puns
I MEAN
-pelts with tomatoes-

Feel free to sign up - what difficulty do you want?

chridd

Postby chridd » March 7th, 2015, 8:20 pm

At this point... easy.

Eila

Postby Eila » March 8th, 2015, 2:51 am

Just having a friend run through my level again. Hopefully I got everything fixed up

How is it I can see an event play through perfectly but my friend testing for me sees it all fucked up? I've tried everything she did to break it and it worked perfectly, she doesn't do anything untoward and it breaks. I don't get it.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 8th, 2015, 3:42 am

Eila wrote:Just having a friend run through my level again. Hopefully I got everything fixed up

How is it I can see an event play through perfectly but my friend testing for me sees it all fucked up? I've tried everything she did to break it and it worked perfectly, she doesn't do anything untoward and it breaks. I don't get it.

Maybe it was just a coincidence that my hammer happened to hit Toad as it glitched out. I'm more confused how my lakitu started throwing more lakitus randomly when I was doing that config file for you. At first it wasn't throwing anything. Then it just suddenly started throwing lakitus. Though I suppose that was fine since it just meant there were more lakitus to test my config on, lol.
💙💙💙

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 8th, 2015, 4:13 am

Sounds like some Lakitu-ception :kappa:b

My level's 99% done! There's some graphical changes I may or may not make, but everything else is done.
Alice wrote:ping

Alice, if you're still up to it, would you take a look at my level?
Downloady

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 8th, 2015, 4:27 am

GlitchedGhost wrote:Alice, if you're still up to it, would you take a look at my level?
Downloady

Sure thing, just give me a little bit to finish up what I was doing.
💙💙💙

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 8th, 2015, 4:29 am

I am two sections from finishing and I am out of ideas. Blah.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 8th, 2015, 4:35 am

Alice wrote:Sure thing, just give me a little bit to finish up what I was doing.

Scratch this actually. I realized shortly after this post that the page I'm cleaning would take quite awhile. There's two in-depth redraws on this page so it can wait. Just finished up the easy stuff instead.

And there is one issue right off the bat. I start at the mid point. I'm assuming that the toad house looking bit that loads by default is where you're supposed to start tough so I moved the start there for now. Let me know if this is still incorrect. Also I need to know the character(s) I should use.
💙💙💙

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 8th, 2015, 4:40 am

Alice wrote:
Alice wrote:Sure thing, just give me a little bit to finish up what I was doing.

Scratch this actually. I realized shortly after this post that the page I'm cleaning would take quite awhile. There's two in-depth redraws on this page so it can wait. Just finished up the easy stuff instead.

And there is one issue right off the bat. I start at the mid point. I'm assuming that the toad house looking bit that loads by default is where you're supposed to start tough so I moved the start there for now. Let me know if this is still incorrect. Also I need to know the character(s) I should use.

... Wow, I wasn't careful, was I. That's what I get for being tired. I was testing something near the midpoint, so that was my fault, I forgot to move the starting point back. It's supposed to be in section 21, technically, to the left of the toad house. And Mario is my character.

I'll go fix and repack that now... I sent out that wrong version...

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 8th, 2015, 4:44 am

Alright, I've downloaded that and I'll start again. From the little bit I've played though it's fine so far. There's only one issue I've had up to now nd that's here:
I'm currently on top of the striped bit up top there. This can easily be solved by just adding a block or two to the top of this structure. I think it only needs one but if there's blocks off screen like that then SMBX will treat it as an infinite line of them going up.
💙💙💙

Eila

Postby Eila » March 8th, 2015, 4:50 am

Alice wrote:
Eila wrote:Just having a friend run through my level again. Hopefully I got everything fixed up

Maybe it was just a coincidence that my hammer happened to hit Toad as it glitched out. I'm more confused how my lakitu started throwing more lakitus randomly when I was doing that config file for you. At first it wasn't throwing anything. Then it just suddenly started throwing lakitus. Though I suppose that was fine since it just meant there were more lakitus to test my config on, lol.

You played God and it bit you in the butt with a rain of Lakitus.

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 8th, 2015, 5:10 am

Alice wrote:Alright, I've downloaded that and I'll start again. From the little bit I've played though it's fine so far. There's only one issue I've had up to now nd that's here:
I'm currently on top of the striped bit up top there. This can easily be solved by just adding a block or two to the top of this structure. I think it only needs one but if there's blocks off screen like that then SMBX will treat it as an infinite line of them going up.

Ah, that's a good point I never considered. I'll go add that to prevent it from happening again. XD

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 8th, 2015, 5:37 am

Putting stuff in spoilers to be safe and save some space:
Doesn't need a screenshot but is the first section supposed to have that black border? Gives a sort of letterboxing effect but I wasn't sure if that was purposeful or not.

Not an issue with your level itself but me being fairly bad at SMBX, this koopa has, as of now, killed me more than anything else in the level including the hammer bros. I've died to the durned thing 7 times in a row now either by jumping on it and bouncing into the pirhana plant or landing right next to it and hitting it, lol. (It killed me another 4 times before I got past it and moved my spawn point. Still killed me more than any other obstacle somehow.) Also I just noticed on a subsequent play that the ropes for those lamps above it are a bit wonky. Some of the rope tiles appear above the curtains but others don't. (This also is happening to a lesser degree in the room past the midpoint. Not just with the ropes either this time though. The table and chairs just above the entrance pipe has it too.)

I do have a question about Link's clothes just after the midpoint. Is there any difference if you don't pick them up? Also in the first room after the midpoint could I recommend moving the first lava lotus a little bit? It only happens about a third of the time but sometimes it spews its pollen and I end up having to jump over it and take a hit which kills me because I hit the switch again. Between it and the nearby koopa it's a bit of a difficult spot in an otherwise reasonable area. (Do note though that I'm not all that great at SMBX despite my level being quite difficult itself. I commonly die on my own level 2-5 times depending on if I go for both exits or not, lol.)

Again, not an issue, but landing on this platform when you don't realize it's moving is actually a bit disorienting. With the pirhana plants and koopa plus the fact you're on the moving platform just before it, it's easy to miss it moving until you're on it, lol. And it's not actually necessary but I think I might recommend slowing down those spiny cannon generator dealies such as the one just after that platform. They're not a huge deal but they're just a little bit too quick, at least for me. I can only manage to get through them about half the time.

Could I recommend a couple coins or something here? I thought I was supposed to go in the pipe at first, the curtains up above make it seem like you shouldn't be able to make the jump so it's a bit confusing at first. (Maybe just one coin on the edge of the platform on the right would work?)

Between the koopa(s) and lava lotus here (this is just past the two stacked hammer bros.) it's actually surprisingly difficult to get across this top part without being hit right after the switch.

Finally got past that bit and got this error just a short ways after before even reaching the next platform. This one may be me though. I've been adding mushrooms on occasion after getting past a given obstacle that I'm not good enough to consistently get past to save some time and it appears to be an issue with too many npcs after googling it and it seems to be working fine after reloading and removing the stuff I added.

For the boss, it's a bit difficult in my opinion. There's the spikes to worry about, the lotus pollen, then not just Bowser Jr. but his fireballs as well. And that in a fairly cramped area with those crates making it kinda difficult to get down lower. So far I've had the best luck just standing where the koopa shell will spawn but even then I get hit by the fireballs half the time if I try to jump over them (mostly due to the lack of height in that spot) or by Bowser Jr. himself or if I move to the right one of those two or the lava lotus pollen. Also you may consider adding some way to bypass the dialog like you did for the first cutscene so you don't have to repeat it when you die. When I finally beat him I actually had no trouble at all oddly enough. And in the cutscene afterwards Mario's treated as if he picked up Link's clothes even if he doesn't. You may want to fix the bit with Link's clothes so that the pipe is blocked until you've done so. (Or maybe make it so Link's clothes are to the left of the midpoint instead so that you don't have to do it more than one time once you've done it.)

As for the secret exit I'm REALLY not sure what to do. It gives a hint of going backwards but I don't see a way to go backwards after leaving the room. I can get back to the moving island but no farther.

Past that stuff though I actually really enjoyed your level. Despite the rather large amount of dying constantly I did, I didn't find myself really getting frustrated with the level.
💙💙💙

Eila

Postby Eila » March 8th, 2015, 8:24 am

I think my level is done, I'll submit it tomorrow after Alice runs through it for me. I only just noticed after a few hours work that a simple oversight could have screwed a part of my level entirely and forced the player to restart.

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 8th, 2015, 5:43 pm

Alice wrote:Putting stuff in spoilers to be safe and save some space:
Doesn't need a screenshot but is the first section supposed to have that black border? Gives a sort of letterboxing effect but I wasn't sure if that was purposeful or not.

Intentional, but I've been questioning if I should remove it, since now that I think about it, it seems kind of silly.

Not an issue with your level itself but me being fairly bad at SMBX, this koopa has, as of now, killed me more than anything else in the level including the hammer bros. I've died to the durned thing 7 times in a row now either by jumping on it and bouncing into the pirhana plant or landing right next to it and hitting it, lol. (It killed me another 4 times before I got past it and moved my spawn point. Still killed me more than any other obstacle somehow.) Also I just noticed on a subsequent play that the ropes for those lamps above it are a bit wonky. Some of the rope tiles appear above the curtains but others don't. (This also is happening to a lesser degree in the room past the midpoint. Not just with the ropes either this time though. The table and chairs just above the entrance pipe has it too.)

I'm sorry, but this is pretty funny, because I don't think I everdied to the koopa right there.
[sp]The lamps and anything layering with the curtains seem to be an issue, as reported by you and a couple of others. I'm going to move them so that doesn't happen, cause fuck you SMBx and it's weird layering.

I do have a question about Link's clothes just after the midpoint. Is there any difference if you don't pick them up? Also in the first room after the midpoint could I recommend moving the first lava lotus a little bit? It only happens about a third of the time but sometimes it spews its pollen and I end up having to jump over it and take a hit which kills me because I hit the switch again. Between it and the nearby koopa it's a bit of a difficult spot in an otherwise reasonable area. (Do note though that I'm not all that great at SMBX despite my level being quite difficult itself. I commonly die on my own level 2-5 times depending on if I go for both exits or not, lol.)

Nope, they're just there. You could ignore them and get the same dialogue. If I hadn't maxed out the events (oops), I'd totally make a side path for not picking up Link's clothes, cause I think that'd be possible to do.
I'll move that lava lotus. I moved it a few times, but it seems like it may need to be moved even more, lmao.

Again, not an issue, but landing on this platform when you don't realize it's moving is actually a bit disorienting. With the pirhana plants and koopa plus the fact you're on the moving platform just before it, it's easy to miss it moving until you're on it, lol. And it's not actually necessary but I think I might recommend slowing down those spiny cannon generator dealies such as the one just after that platform. They're not a huge deal but they're just a little bit too quick, at least for me. I can only manage to get through them about half the time.

I'll take that into note and slow down the spinies a bit. I didn't have any issue seeing the platform moving, and no one else has mentioned anything, so maybe it was just you?

Could I recommend a couple coins or something here? I thought I was supposed to go in the pipe at first, the curtains up above make it seem like you shouldn't be able to make the jump so it's a bit confusing at first. (Maybe just one coin on the edge of the platform on the right would work?)

Ah, good point. I'll add a couple of coins there.

Between the koopa(s) and lava lotus here (this is just past the two stacked hammer bros.) it's actually surprisingly difficult to get across this top part without being hit right after the switch.

I'll shift them around a bit, see if I can get them to not be so hard.

Finally got past that bit and got this error just a short ways after before even reaching the next platform. This one may be me though. I've been adding mushrooms on occasion after getting past a given obstacle that I'm not good enough to consistently get past to save some time and it appears to be an issue with too many npcs after googling it and it seems to be working fine after reloading and removing the stuff I added.

I tested it pretty heavily and there was one other person (if I'm not mistaken) that had that issue, and it was right before the boss room. I'm going to assume it's okay since you removed the extra mushrooms, cause I'm not sure what to do otherwise. If I submit it and there's further complaint, I'll look at it more deeply.

For the boss, it's a bit difficult in my opinion. There's the spikes to worry about, the lotus pollen, then not just Bowser Jr. but his fireballs as well. And that in a fairly cramped area with those crates making it kinda difficult to get down lower. So far I've had the best luck just standing where the koopa shell will spawn but even then I get hit by the fireballs half the time if I try to jump over them (mostly due to the lack of height in that spot) or by Bowser Jr. himself or if I move to the right one of those two or the lava lotus pollen. Also you may consider adding some way to bypass the dialog like you did for the first cutscene so you don't have to repeat it when you die. When I finally beat him I actually had no trouble at all oddly enough. And in the cutscene afterwards Mario's treated as if he picked up Link's clothes even if he doesn't. You may want to fix the bit with Link's clothes so that the pipe is blocked until you've done so. (Or maybe make it so Link's clothes are to the left of the midpoint instead so that you don't have to do it more than one time once you've done it.)

I'm going to look into a bypass for the dialogue. It was something I should've done to begin with.
I've also heard complaints about the boss battle being too hard. I'll make it easier.
That's a good idea. I'll add something for Link's clothes.

As for the secret exit I'm REALLY not sure what to do. It gives a hint of going backwards but I don't see a way to go backwards after leaving the room. I can get back to the moving island but no farther.

Okay, I admit my hint is terrible. I thought of something better, though, so I'm going to change it. If you wanted to check it out, it's literally going backwards from when the level actually 'begins', in the area after Toad's Tea House so you go back to the tea house.
Past that stuff though I actually really enjoyed your level. Despite the rather large amount of dying constantly I did, I didn't find myself really getting frustrated with the level.

I'm glad to hear you liked it, and thank you for such a detailed critique!

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 8th, 2015, 7:21 pm

I finished... Whee... YOU WILL ALL BE SUBJECTED TO MY GLORIOUS PUNS!

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » March 8th, 2015, 7:34 pm

I gave up since there's no way I'm finishing my level in time. Wish inspiration would have struck sooner, but oh well!
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » March 8th, 2015, 7:59 pm

I was thinking of making like an "athletic" platforming thing that's pretty much series of difficult but no real punishment jumps to midpoint, then jumps of similar difficulty with holes and enemies passed the midpoint, but realized I probably wouldn't be able to make what I imagined if one of the names didn't work and being that it'd be my first platformer level ever and I'd have to make it from linux I lost interest. However if someone needs an idea and it works for them you could steal that.

I've also really liked the idea since like 2010 of reusing sublevels or linking them to each other unconventionally, like playing the attic of one level but the basement in another (or for something like this, to a right to left to right thing keeping obstacles apparent) . But the VC had that idea used and I feel like I'd be ripping someone off.

Anyways if someone's not given up for some reason, free ideas
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 8th, 2015, 10:29 pm

Isocitration wrote:I gave up since there's no way I'm finishing my level in time. Wish inspiration would have struck sooner, but oh well!

Iso pls. D:

Prediction time! I'll be somewhere between 25%-50% in the rankings. (where 100% is 1st place)

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 8th, 2015, 11:52 pm

GlitchedGhost wrote:I'm sorry, but this is pretty funny, because I don't think I everdied to the koopa right there.
[sp]The lamps and anything layering with the curtains seem to be an issue, as reported by you and a couple of others. I'm going to move them so that doesn't happen, cause fuck you SMBx and it's weird layering.

Honestly it was quite hilarious. There's no reason I should have died there anywhere near that many times, lol.
Nope, they're just there. You could ignore them and get the same dialogue. If I hadn't maxed out the events (oops), I'd totally make a side path for not picking up Link's clothes, cause I think that'd be possible to do.
I'll move that lava lotus. I moved it a few times, but it seems like it may need to be moved even more, lmao.

Oh wow, you did? That kinda sucks then. SMBX's limits really seem to commonly be a huge issue for both individual levels and collabs. (I actually don't have any extra layers this year. After failing to get the gimmick I was going for last year I decided to keep it simple this time around. Might have an easier time through Wohl's editor though.)
I'll take that into note and slow down the spinies a bit. I didn't have any issue seeing the platform moving, and no one else has mentioned anything, so maybe it was just you?

It was probably because I was always concentrating on the enemies so I just happened to manage not to see it. It's not really an issue either way since you're fairly safe once you're on it. It was just weirdly disorienting the first time it happened, lol.
I tested it pretty heavily and there was one other person (if I'm not mistaken) that had that issue, and it was right before the boss room. I'm going to assume it's okay since you removed the extra mushrooms, cause I'm not sure what to do otherwise. If I submit it and there's further complaint, I'll look at it more deeply.

I think it was probably on my end at least since I didn't have a single issue with it after I removed the mushrooms I'd added. Though knowing now that you maxed out events there's potentially issue when it gets inserted into the hub. From what I recall high amounts of events can cause some annoying issues similar to that when put together with other levels. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be an issue though because it may not really be feasible to fix if it does.

Oh, so if I'm understanding you correctly it's actually  at the end of the level when you go back to Toad's house ?
Isocitration wrote:I gave up since there's no way I'm finishing my level in time. Wish inspiration would have struck sooner, but oh well!

You shouldn't give up. At least wrap up what you have so you can properly finish it. That's what I did last year and I still finished reasonably high. Only 20 positions below my original goal even if I remember my exact position. (Goal was 100th place as a minimum, I got 125th, 120th, 115th, or 114th. I always forget which. Edit: I got 120th place. My initial thought, as it turns out, was right, lol.)
pholtos wrote:Prediction time! I'll be somewhere between 25%-50% in the rankings. (where 100% is 1st place)

My goal this time is simply to finish in the top 50% since I actually finished my level this year and despite a few issues I couldn't really fix and it being fairly difficult even for its creator I was pretty satisfied with it. It's actually made me think about learning more about SMBX editing and learning to use LunaLua to try and make a Zelda II styled episode. Though I don't know how much of what I'm thinking of is even possible.
Last edited by Alice on March 8th, 2015, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
💙💙💙

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 9th, 2015, 1:21 am

Alice wrote:Nope, they're just there. You could ignore them and get the same dialogue. If I hadn't maxed out the events (oops), I'd totally make a side path for not picking up Link's clothes, cause I think that'd be possible to do.

Oh wow, you did? That kinda sucks then. SMBX's limits really seem to commonly be a huge issue for both individual levels and collabs. (I actually don't have any extra layers this year. After failing to get the gimmick I was going for last year I decided to keep it simple this time around. Might have an easier time through Wohl's editor though.)[/quote]
Yeah. Wasn't intention, it just... happened. Cutscenes take up around 80-90, the rest is moving blocks and a couple of npc swaps to change their dialogue. SMBX just has a lot of issues in general.
I got really carried away with dialogue and stuff. Not intentional, just... happened.

It was probably because I was always concentrating on the enemies so I just happened to manage not to see it. It's not really an issue either way since you're fairly safe once you're on it. It was just weirdly disorienting the first time it happened, lol.

Sounds about right. xD

I think it was probably on my end at least since I didn't have a single issue with it after I removed the mushrooms I'd added. Though knowing now that you maxed out events there's potentially issue when it gets inserted into the hub. From what I recall high amounts of events can cause some annoying issues similar to that when put together with other levels. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be an issue though because it may not really be feasible to fix if it does.

I really hope it won't cause any problems. If I would've known that I would've kept it shorter. Sigh, I guess we'll see what happens. I could always rewrite the dialogue or something, as I'm certain I could condense it if necessary.

Oh, so if I'm understanding you correctly it's actually  at the end of the level when you go back to Toad's house ?
Close.  Literally after the first cutscene, where you get to the first part of the actual level, just go backwards and you'll warp back into the house and you can get it there. 

I did change the hint so hopefully it'll be more clear.

Alice wrote:
pholtos wrote:Prediction time! I'll be somewhere between 25%-50% in the rankings. (where 100% is 1st place)

My goal this time is simply to finish in the top 50% since I actually finished my level this year and despite a few issues I couldn't really fix and it being fairly difficult even for its creator I was pretty satisfied with it. It's actually made me think about learning more about SMBX editing and learning to use LunaLua to try and make a Zelda II styled episode. Though I don't know how much of what I'm thinking of is even possible.

I'm hoping to aim in the top 50% myself, but I dunno if I'll hit that high. Maybe, maybe not.

edit: I stg if this isn't edited properly this time I will eat my hat

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 9th, 2015, 1:27 am

GlitchedGhost wrote:I'm hoping to aim in the top 50% myself, but I dunno if I'll hit that high. Maybe, maybe not.

Honestly I think you have a far better chance of hitting the top 50% than I do. My character and gimmick combination is instantly going to make my level a lot less fun for most people.

I dunno why it's so difficult to get quotes right, lol. I had to edit my original response like five times before I'd stamped out all the issues with the quotes.
💙💙💙

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 9th, 2015, 2:55 am

Alice wrote:
GlitchedGhost wrote:I'm hoping to aim in the top 50% myself, but I dunno if I'll hit that high. Maybe, maybe not.

Honestly I think you have a far better chance of hitting the top 50% than I do. My character and gimmick combination is instantly going to make my level a lot less fun for most people.

I dunno why it's so difficult to get quotes right, lol. I had to edit my original response like five times before I'd stamped out all the issues with the quotes.

Link can also be one of those characters that are hard to work with, since SMBX is, y'know, a Mario-based engine. I wanted to try to make a Link level, but with my idea I couldn't pass it up.
QUOTES ARE EVEN THAT HARD THERE WERE JUST SO MANY OF THEM
AND SEPARATING THEM WAS LIKE
ASGNASGHUIGEU92TOWE
That post took me at least four edits to get right

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 9th, 2015, 3:03 am

Link is definitely difficult to work with. Especially with SMBX's custom npc stuff having no flags whatsoever that affect Link's attack. That's actually why the green phantos in my entry are killable. I'm sure I could have used LunaLua to prevent that happening but it just seemed too much work for it.

I'm a little bit surprised at the character distribution Horikawa posted in the submitted levels thread though. I'm not surprised Mario was most used since we do get two characters and people are significantly more likely to choose him over other characters but I am surprised that 3/4 of the others are basically tied and the one that's least used isn't Link but Peach of all people. I honestly expected Link or Toad to be last.
💙💙💙

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 9th, 2015, 3:16 am

SMBX could've been handled a lot better, but I suppose it's a fairly accessible engine that most people can try to make levels in.
With my music gripe, someone suggested trying to do Lunalua stuff, but honestly that's too much work just to make it so I can have two tracks in one section.

Also wow, 400 entries requested? Holy crap. 147 received. Seems like it's going to be more than last year.
Of course Mario has the most, but I'm surprised that the other four characters are fairly evenly distributed. At least there'll be some variety. I agree with expecting Link or Toad last.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 9th, 2015, 3:25 am

I hope that Wohl's version of the engine will be able to fix all the issues with SMBX successfully when it's finished. He's already got fixed level and world formats completely planned out at least. Hopefully he can overhaul the npc system too. And really just the whole custom stuff system. I think rather than replacing pre-existing stuff you should be able to add in new stuff (npcs or blocks) and simply give it an "act as" function for default settings then add in flags for everything SMBX was already missing.
💙💙💙

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » March 9th, 2015, 4:13 am

Don't worry about it Iso. I got bopped by alot of school work over the past month and ended up deciding to not do a level.

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 9th, 2015, 4:49 am

Alice wrote:I hope that Wohl's version of the engine will be able to fix all the issues with SMBX successfully when it's finished. He's already got fixed level and world formats completely planned out at least. Hopefully he can overhaul the npc system too. And really just the whole custom stuff system. I think rather than replacing pre-existing stuff you should be able to add in new stuff (npcs or blocks) and simply give it an "act as" function for default settings then add in flags for everything SMBX was already missing.

Wohl's editor is lovely. I used it for my level and tested the level in the SMBX editor. It's a lot easier to use, and everything is organized wonderfully.
I honestly didn't know Wohl's editor did that. I did the old fashioned way of making sprites like how you do in SMBX's editor. Whoops. At least I know for next time. I did end up using the npc text editor, though.
I'm glad to see that his engine is making good improvements.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 9th, 2015, 6:16 am

270 entries as of right now guys. 270.

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » March 9th, 2015, 6:37 am

That's just... insane.

Looking forward to a 4+ month lp!
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Glitch

Postby Glitch » March 9th, 2015, 6:45 am

pholtos wrote:270 entries as of right now guys. 270.

Holy crap.
Where'd you get this number? The level list hasn't updated.

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 9th, 2015, 6:48 am

GlitchedGhost wrote:
pholtos wrote:270 entries as of right now guys. 270.

Holy crap.
Where'd you get this number? The level list hasn't updated.

Otane in the discussion thread.

Return to “Exhibition Alley”