The talkhaus' MaGLx 2 discussion

A place to show off your completed or in progress video game projects. Mods? Hacks? Whatever you call it when you make your own thing? Reveal your junk to random strangers!
Glitch

Re: The talkhaus' MaGLx 2 discussion

Postby Glitch » March 9th, 2015, 6:55 am

pholtos wrote:
GlitchedGhost wrote:
pholtos wrote:270 entries as of right now guys. 270.

Holy crap.
Where'd you get this number? The level list hasn't updated.

Otane in the discussion thread.

Oh, I see it now.
IsoNation's resident bird nerd.

Eila

Postby Eila » March 9th, 2015, 11:53 am

Rest in peace raocow's hands after playing all those.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » March 10th, 2015, 1:15 am

I decided to calculate what place I'll have to beat to actually do better than last year placement-wise. I'll have to take 239th place at the very worst. (I placed 120th of 134 entries last year which is apparently just barely in the top 90%.) Still aiming for at least 120th though even though that's a really optimistic goal for me to shoot for.
💙💙💙

Eila

Postby Eila » March 10th, 2015, 3:28 am

I need to get above last to place better than my not entering last year.

I am not optimistic about doing so.

Horikawa Otane

Postby Horikawa Otane » March 10th, 2015, 9:04 am

Eila wrote:I need to get above last to place better than my not entering last year.

There's a legit slug-fest going on for last place. I'd say it's just as competitive as the top ten!

Don't worry - you won't be there unless you're explicitly trying to be.

Eila

Postby Eila » March 10th, 2015, 9:21 am

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Eila wrote:I need to get above last to place better than my not entering last year.

There's a legit slug-fest going on for last place. I'd say it's just as competitive as the top ten!

Don't worry - you won't be there unless you're explicitly trying to be.

Honestly I don't think i will do bad, average at best maybe. My major worry is things just breaking, I got that alot in the editor as I mentioned. Things just decided to stop being tied to events or layers or the music just stopped playing and had to be readded to work.

castlepokemetroid

Postby castlepokemetroid » March 11th, 2015, 8:53 am

Last year MaGLX, I trolled raocow pretty hard, I mean, pretty damn hard, I got such a huge reaction out of him haha. It's my goal this year to troll raocow even harder, look forward to my level, I'm super excited to see raocow play it.

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » March 11th, 2015, 9:20 am

I'd love to see a meta level. Like an finished unfinished level that had some instructions left on how to fix it in-game, forcing the player to open the game in the editor and alter parts of it.
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 13th, 2015, 6:42 am

So I ended up also competing in the MAFAB contest and made probably the most advanced thing I've ever made in smbx. I'm actually pretty dang proud of it.

castlepokemetroid

Postby castlepokemetroid » March 13th, 2015, 11:27 am

pholtos wrote:So I ended up also competing in the MAFAB contest

When I saw the announcement, I clicked on the video. Right when raocow explained what the announcement was about, I ALT+F4 my browser. I'm so terrible with anything custom, I just hate it.

Good on you for being able to do that. I wonder if there will be prizes or cash monies for that contest as well, or if it's just for kicks.

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » March 13th, 2015, 9:26 pm

castlepokemetroid wrote:
pholtos wrote:So I ended up also competing in the MAFAB contest

When I saw the announcement, I clicked on the video. Right when raocow explained what the announcement was about, I ALT+F4 my browser. I'm so terrible with anything custom, I just hate it.

Good on you for being able to do that. I wonder if there will be prizes or cash monies for that contest as well, or if it's just for kicks.

My question for you Pholtos, is it going to be a boss that will destroy raocow?

Well Castlepokemetroid, as Alfred says in that movie, with the Batman. "Know your limits Master Bruce." And don't worry plenty of other folks haven't submitted something either (like me). Practice and learn for next next year I guess.

Also the prize money is 1,000,000 Bison Dollars and a big lint ball. :kappa:

pholtos

Postby pholtos » March 13th, 2015, 9:49 pm

I would consider the boss I made rather easy to be honest. I went for silly rather than hard.

Lunatic Quark

Postby Lunatic Quark » March 13th, 2015, 10:15 pm

I kind of want to enter MAFAB just to see what it's all about, but there's like, less than 6 hours left now, and I would feel bad about signing up for something I don't think I can complete in time. Especially if I think of something really good, but totally not plausible to make before the deadline.

Willhart

Postby Willhart » October 26th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Iso's level was played today. It got 41st place on the contest and it had a great level name and idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 1Kvs#t=690

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 26th, 2015, 11:20 pm

Willhart wrote:Iso's level was played today. It got 41st place on the contest and it had a great level name and idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 1Kvs#t=690

His level is probably my favorite in the contest so far, lol.

Edit:
Alice wrote:I decided to calculate what place I'll have to beat to actually do better than last year placement-wise. I'll have to take 239th place at the very worst. (I placed 120th of 134 entries last year which is apparently just barely in the top 90%.) Still aiming for at least 120th though even though that's a really optimistic goal for me to shoot for.

Also I suppose 120th place wasn't as optimistic as I was expecting, lol. 98th place is two places better than my top goal.
💙💙💙

pholtos

Postby pholtos » October 26th, 2015, 11:31 pm

Oh right this was a thread.

I'm pleased that both my level and boss got good reactions and even more pleased I ended up getting a favorite. :3

Glitch

Postby Glitch » October 27th, 2015, 1:04 am

I loved Iso's level, I loved the idea, and it was freaking hilarious.

I'm pretty happy with my placement. I would've loved to see it actually get in the double-digits, but hey, I was pretty close. I was guessing I was gonna get 150th-100th.

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » October 27th, 2015, 7:44 am

Congrats on 41st place in MaGLX2 Iso! That looked like a short spicy and sweet level I liked it

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 27th, 2015, 7:54 am

GlitchedGhost wrote:I'm pretty happy with my placement. I would've loved to see it actually get in the double-digits, but hey, I was pretty close. I was guessing I was gonna get 150th-100th.

I still disagree with the placements mine, yours, and Eila's levels got though. Your level was better than mine and I really don't think Eila's was better than either of ours. (And he actually agrees with me.)
💙💙💙

Glitch

Postby Glitch » October 27th, 2015, 8:51 am

Alice wrote:I still disagree with the placements mine, yours, and Eila's levels got though. Your level was better than mine and I really don't think Eila's was better than either of ours. (And he actually agrees with me.)

I still think your level was pretty good. What place did Eila get? I don't recognize the name.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » October 27th, 2015, 8:59 am

GlitchedGhost wrote: I still think your level was pretty good. What place did Eila get? I don't recognize the name.

73rd (you can see it here if you want to check it out) compared to your 103rd and my 92nd. If it had been right around the same ranking as ours I would have just chocked it up to differing tastes but 19 places better than mine and 30 over your is a bit absurd to me. He did improve it a lot after I tested it for him but it still wasn't anything particularly impressive. The thing he had best going for him was really the graphics and that's about it.
💙💙💙

Glitch

Postby Glitch » October 27th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Alice wrote:73rd (you can see it here if you want to check it out) compared to your 103rd and my 92nd. If it had been right around the same ranking as ours I would have just chocked it up to differing tastes but 19 places better than mine and 30 over your is a bit absurd to me. He did improve it a lot after I tested it for him but it still wasn't anything particularly impressive. The thing he had best going for him was really the graphics and that's about it.

Ah, okay, after going through the video (aka skimming it) I remember now. I agree though, it isn't anything particularly impressive.
There's a few levels that I look at and go 'Those got ranked over mine? Okaaaay.'

Willhart

Postby Willhart » November 23rd, 2015, 12:06 pm

We will know the winner of this contest soon. The top 2 are the only contestants left.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » November 23rd, 2015, 9:20 pm

Willhart wrote:We will know the winner of this contest soon. The top 2 are the only contestants left.

The winner is clearly raocow since he got to play all the levels.
💙💙💙

qazcake

Postby qazcake » December 5th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Did anyone see what happened today. Smbx2.0 sounds like its going to be an improvement.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » December 5th, 2015, 5:02 pm

qazcake wrote:Did anyone see what happened today. Smbx2.0 sounds like its going to be an improvement.

Horikawa hasn't really been clear on what exactly the update entails yet though. It's mostly sounding like it's just a full package including LunaLua (as well as its libraries) and possibly some edit of the launcher to use Wohl's editor by default instead of the shitty SMBX one. Sounds kinda similar(ish) so far to the 1.3 update except with more substance to it. And admittedly getting LunaLua and its libraries as well as a copy of SMBX that cooperates with it all in one package is definitely a good thing since, last I checked, there was no single consolidated download for them.

The Rosalina character seems pretty interesting too. I'd like to see the controls be fixed up to be more intuitive and maybe her fall speed (which seems oddly fast to me, not her jump height by the way but the fall speed alone) which seems to start out a lot faster than it does for other characters. If they could fix that stuff up though I think she'd be a pretty fun new character to play.
💙💙💙

Willhart

Postby Willhart » December 5th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Some of the new features for SMBX 2.0 are listed here:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 69&t=12438

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » December 5th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Willhart wrote:Some of the new features for SMBX 2.0 are listed here:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 69&t=12438

Yeah, that's mostly where I got the idea that it's mostly a package deal like I described above. It's still not as clear as it could be from what I'm seeing though.

Also what is up with all the posts like these?

Edit:
http://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.ph ... 74#p339047
Actually I just stumbled across this and if I'm understanding what Wohl's saying and he's actually talking about SMBX 2.0 and not his own engine it sounds like it may in fact be a bit more of an update than simply a package deal. It would be nice to have some proper clarification on that though.
💙💙💙

Return to “Exhibition Alley”