The talkhaus' MaGLx 2 discussion

A place to show off your completed or in progress video game projects. Mods? Hacks? Whatever you call it when you make your own thing? Reveal your junk to random strangers!
Alice
⦂☽

The talkhaus' MaGLx 2 discussion

Postby Alice » February 2nd, 2015, 11:28 pm

Sign-up thread
Discussion thread
Submitted Levels thread

I dunno how many people here have actually entered (just Iso and myself that I'm actually aware of but I haven't really been looking) but I figured we could have a local discussion thread on it. That way we can give each other some feedback and playtest each others' levels and such. If you do decide to post about it here at least make sure to spoiler level names and such to try and respect Horikawa's wishes on public discussion. I might upload a copy of my level tomorrow but I've gotten some work done on it. The bonus area and first area are pretty decent I think. Thoughts on it with some spoilers about the level's theme:
I need to rework the end of the first section because it turns out Link can break bomb blocks with his sword apparently. And so far the second section is actually pretty crappy and I should probably just completely redo it. The phanto bill (basically bullet bill generators that shoot phantos that Link can bounce off without killing them) sections are a lot iffier than I was intending them to be. And the blue koopa based phanto I used is kinda iffy too. It tracks Link a little bit too much and is a bit slow. I'll have to test it to see if upping its speed doesn't simply make it home in on Link faster. The boo based phanto works fairly well though. Also all of them, as it turns out, can be killed with bombs... This won't be an issue if I redo the end of the first section though. I was hoping to make the secret exit require the foresight of bringing a bomb with you into the second section though but oh well, it already requires a hidden key.

Edit: A couple screenshots of what I have:
Near the end of the first section.
This is part of the bonus area.
💙💙💙

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Re: The talkhaus' MaGLx 2 discussion

Postby Isocitration » February 3rd, 2015, 1:18 am

I believe I saw Jolpe enter, wonder what he'll concoct this time...

Anyway, of the five names I got, three are coherent enough to work with, but I haven't decided which I'll pick yet. With smbx I tend to trap myself into trying to create something convoluted due to the event system, hit some wall due to limitations of the engine, and just get sick of it by the end of the planning phase (tediously replacing graphics also plays a part).

I'm just going to take it slow and try to come up with something actually feasible this time. Or just frankenstein level parts together at the last minute like I did last year, whatever works in the end!
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am

I like the idea of the events system but it's a pain in the ass to get it to cooperate. That's actually what screwed my level last year (well that with me not having any motivation at that point in time to really do anything at all) was trying to get the events system to work. I couldn't even manage to get a p-switch to reveal a layer with a door on it while the p-switch was active, lol. My level this year has exactly one event so far and that's simply for spawning the key for the secret exit.
💙💙💙

Eila

Postby Eila » February 3rd, 2015, 2:54 am

I am putting in a level. These are the names I have rejected, or at least put aside to see if I can make anything better than the current 2 I am keeping.

Behold, There Is a Hate Bang!
Visually Settled Banzai Bill
Wow! Banzai Bill Missed Pokey

:frankerz:

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 3rd, 2015, 3:20 am

I'd like to do something but I've literally never made a mario level before and I've never quite gotten smbx to work like how I want it to.

Plus, like, here's a detriment: ideas. I don't know that I have that many. And moar excuses because I'm the kind of guy who's 90% excuses.
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

potato_sniff
Cousin Janet

Postby potato_sniff » February 3rd, 2015, 8:56 am

I would like to but i would need to experament with the engine before i attempt a contest

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » February 3rd, 2015, 11:09 am

You guys should join anyway. It's a good excuse to make something just for the hell of it!

Eila

Postby Eila » February 3rd, 2015, 12:01 pm

I am tending to favor appearance over actual playability, thus far. I haven't even started yet, working on making graphics replacements.

Jolpengammler
Jipples the Friendly Dog

Postby Jolpengammler » February 3rd, 2015, 1:31 pm

I got 4 stupid names and 1 normal ish name
I chose the most stupid one!
:bloodtrail:
Isocitration wrote:I will take my clothes off now

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 3rd, 2015, 2:05 pm

Isocitration wrote:You guys should join anyway. It's a good excuse to make something just for the hell of it!

They really should. My entry last year was my first real attempt at making a SMBX level. I'd messed with the editor a couple times before that but never actually did anything. It's quite easy to learn even though the default editor is a huge pile of trash. Wohlstand's editor is far better.
💙💙💙

Eila

Postby Eila » February 3rd, 2015, 10:39 pm

I like the Wohl editor, but it irritates me that the testing part isn't done yet. Like I don't blame people for not finishing projects when they have a life to live, but it's annoying to have to use one entire program, then switch to another whenever I want to see if my level works.

I also think the default editor sorts things out better. All the cave blocks for example are on the same page, in the Wohl editor I don't think they are. One could be at the top of the list and the rest down the bottom or something.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 3rd, 2015, 10:57 pm

Eila wrote:Like I don't blame people for not finishing projects when they have a life to live

You might want to reword this, it makes it sound as if Wohlstand has completely dropped the project which isn't even the case. Making his own version of the engine, especially one that's still completely compatible with existing SMBX stuff, is going to take a lot of time.
💙💙💙

Eila

Postby Eila » February 4th, 2015, 12:22 am

Alice wrote:
Eila wrote:Like I don't blame people for not finishing projects when they have a life to live

You might want to reword this, it makes it sound as if Wohlstand has completely dropped the project which isn't even the case. Making his own version of the engine, especially one that's still completely compatible with existing SMBX stuff, is going to take a lot of time.

No, I understand that. I am just saying I don't like having to use one program nearly entirely then another just to test my level. I know how difficult it'd be, I wasn't implying otherwise.

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 4th, 2015, 12:38 am

Eila wrote:No, I understand that. I am just saying I don't like having to use one program nearly entirely then another just to test my level. I know how difficult it'd be, I wasn't implying otherwise.

Don't ever get into music making then. =D
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » February 4th, 2015, 5:43 am

Isocitration wrote:You guys should join anyway. It's a good excuse to make something just for the hell of it!

This is a good idea...except you know I haven't made a level either...like a bunch of folks here...soooo who is going to take a dive into learning and going to make a somewhere around average level?

I will play around with the editor a bit before I decide.

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 4th, 2015, 6:11 am

I would try my hand at it... if I wasn't already working on several projects. I swear I'm not feeling the progress!
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

Absolut Zero
Site Developer

Postby Absolut Zero » February 4th, 2015, 6:16 am

Ive always wanted to make a SMW hack. But after spending a while messing around with Lunar Magic and realizing how complicated 65816 ASM is, I promptly abandoned it lol.

Maybe SMBX is a lot more friendly in that regard, but Ive only played games on SMBX never even looked at the editor.

I dont want to commit to something I have no experience in and fail to deliver or end up as one of those joke levels that places last.

It would be neat to give it a try though I dont see that happening.

Eila

Postby Eila » February 4th, 2015, 6:58 am

It's ridiculously easy to use, at least basically. Stuff like events and layers just take a bit of tinkering to get working properly.

Telamon

Postby Telamon » February 5th, 2015, 5:42 am

Got my names, and I think I'm going to sit down with the soundtracks to Xenogears and Legend of Mana and just find a few tracks that match a name and go from there. Never used the engine at all, so that should be fun.

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » February 5th, 2015, 9:42 am

I entered, was overlooked by Horikawa when she skimmed the thread for participants and got my names a bit late because of that... but they are all great names and I pretty much spent all day yesterday just thinking about all the things I could do with each of them!
I think I made a choice at the end, but I'm not gonna reveal my rejects in fear of actually hitting a wall with my idea and having to start anew with a different one of the five...

For now everything works fine, at least in my head! Hope the engine's as good as my head! :ugeek:

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 5th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Absolut Zero wrote:Ive always wanted to make a SMW hack. But after spending a while messing around with Lunar Magic and realizing how complicated 65816 ASM is, I promptly abandoned it lol.

Maybe SMBX is a lot more friendly in that regard, but Ive only played games on SMBX never even looked at the editor.

I dont want to commit to something I have no experience in and fail to deliver or end up as one of those joke levels that places last.

It would be neat to give it a try though I dont see that happening.

The basic editor works, though it's kinda missing important features like undo/redo and the ability to select more than one block at a time. Wohlstand's editor has just about everything that's missing from the default editor. Though since there's no way for it to hook into SMBX for level testing it has no playtest feature yet since Wohlstand is still working on the engine part.
💙💙💙

Eila

Postby Eila » February 10th, 2015, 4:15 am

I accidentally stumbled upon transparent lava, so now my level has lava you can see through.

I'll need to have it tested though to see if it works elsewhere but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » February 10th, 2015, 2:35 pm

It's so pretty and shinyyy! =3

#shootitinthemouth

Eila

Postby Eila » February 10th, 2015, 11:52 pm

Sarusig wrote:It's so pretty and shinyyy! =3

If you or anyone else wanted the water or lava for your level I don't mind. It'd be a good opportunity to see if it works for other people or if I just did it by accident and it will break when they play the levels.

InsaneIntentions1

Postby InsaneIntentions1 » February 11th, 2015, 12:38 am

I have my levels names, but I've yet to get on my desktop to download stuff
A man of many voices

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 11th, 2015, 12:49 am

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:I have my levels names, but I've yet to get on my desktop to download stuff

You better get on it then! You've barely got a month left.
💙💙💙

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » February 12th, 2015, 7:35 pm

That lava up there looks so inviting. You really wanna dive right in. Is it because of the similiar color to actual sea-water in juxtaposition with that little indoor beach? I do not know, but it looks great!

Anyways, on my side, things are done. I have just sent my level to the judges and it's in there hands now. I hope nothing breaks, but I played the level at least a hundred times now and there really shouldn't be anything.... god, the fear. :failfish:

Jolpengammler
Jipples the Friendly Dog

Postby Jolpengammler » February 12th, 2015, 8:28 pm

welp looks like I am not gonna make my level

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » February 12th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Jolpengammler wrote:welp looks like I am not gonna make my level

Did you run out of towns to burn or does hells level of "good" not correspond to MAGL-good?

Jolpengammler
Jipples the Friendly Dog

Postby Jolpengammler » February 13th, 2015, 6:08 am

I just made ny basic idea anc then lost interest i Smbx again

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » February 13th, 2015, 9:17 am

Jolpengammler wrote:I just made ny basic idea anc then lost interest i Smbx again

Oh, yeah, okay, I remember doing that the first time I tried doing something for some random SMBX thing. But you still have a lot of time, so who knows, maybe you'll get interested to finish you level last second style.

Jolpengammler
Jipples the Friendly Dog

Postby Jolpengammler » February 13th, 2015, 9:22 am

Also next week is very limited compuddle use week

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » February 13th, 2015, 9:29 am

I still haven't really started to think about mine. None of my names really stand out and I haven't taken the time to think of something to make them more workable.

Eila

Postby Eila » February 13th, 2015, 10:48 am

7TC7 wrote:That lava up there looks so inviting. You really wanna dive right in. Is it because of the similiar color to actual sea-water in juxtaposition with that little indoor beach? I do not know, but it looks great!

I should have been more clear on this. That's just some backgrounds that I use as water. Though It had to have frames and had to have a mask so like the top surface is a water block, and the bottom one is like some other thing.

This is my lava:

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » February 13th, 2015, 11:15 am

Eila wrote:
7TC7 wrote:That lava up there looks so inviting. You really wanna dive right in. Is it because of the similiar color to actual sea-water in juxtaposition with that little indoor beach? I do not know, but it looks great!

I should have been more clear on this. That's just some backgrounds that I use as water. Though It had to have frames and had to have a mask so like the top surface is a water block, and the bottom one is like some other thing.

This is my lava:

9/10, would still dive right in without thinking about the consequences.

Zummorr

Postby Zummorr » February 14th, 2015, 4:13 am

7TC7 wrote:
Eila wrote:

This is my lava:

9/10, would still dive right in without thinking about the consequences.

Reminds me of sparkling wine actually

Dr. Shemp

Postby Dr. Shemp » February 14th, 2015, 8:41 am

I'm at the stage of wondering whether I have a fundamentally flawed concept and realising that I'm up shit creek if I do due to the time constraints. Basically it's a level directly themed around Dry Bones. Since the main threat of Dry Bones is that they hang around after death and come up to nab you again, that means that for them to be a threat I need to keep them on-screen and distract the player from focussing on the dead Dry Bones. The method that I currently have for accomplishing that is to use autoscroll, horizontal and then in an elevator, and for some reason I've only now realised that these are both unpopular constraints on the player. So now I'm trying to find ways to skirt around that and I feel like I'm trying to polish up what's basically a turd.
When I pray, and sometimes I do, I pray to myself. And if I’m lucky, I answer myself.

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » February 14th, 2015, 12:09 pm

You could always just replace other enemy types with dry bones for a bigger variety of the dudes, if you feel just forcing people into dealing with the undeath might get boring.

Dr. Shemp

Postby Dr. Shemp » February 14th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Probably, although I dislike the inconsistency in having most dry bones collapse but not all. For the moment however I've tried adding in generally spooky non-dry bones enemies in small amounts since I'm still committed by the name to being dry bones-focussed. I'm thinking of adding dry bone hammer bros (if I can sprite them) as snipers though: if they're in unreachable spots then the player will never see that they don't collapse when they die.
When I pray, and sometimes I do, I pray to myself. And if I’m lucky, I answer myself.

Horikawa Otane

Postby Horikawa Otane » February 15th, 2015, 3:51 am

I wanted to say if people are interested in signing up, you can do it here now too =). Send me a PM!

Also, you guys REALLY need to update your spambot questions. I had to try like 30 times and then use a proxy before I FINALLY found the right format for the 'youtube url.' Still have no idea what the proper format for the 'join date' is =_=;;;;.

Return to “Exhibition Alley”