Anyone Interested in Terraria?

A place to show off your completed or in progress video game projects. Mods? Hacks? Whatever you call it when you make your own thing? Reveal your junk to random strangers!
Absolut Zero

Anyone Interested in Terraria?

Postby Absolut Zero » January 18th, 2015, 5:37 am

I spent a rather large amount of time in my Terraria world creating a massive "city" in the sky, with different themes for each building. Would anyone be interested in a series of pictures of said city? Or maybe, possibly, a video? I am super self conscious of my voice though and have been putting off making videos for almost a year now, my Yeti Snoball just sits in the closet brand new in the box LOL

Alice
⦂☽

Re: Anyone Interested in Terraria?

Postby Alice » January 18th, 2015, 5:46 am

You should definitely show us. Terraria is a pretty awesome game. While I don't play it as much anymore (I haven't played it a ton since 1.2 came out I think it was since they've really neglected balance in singleplayer and the late game stuff is way difficult now) it's my second most played game on Steam after Audiosurf.
💙💙💙

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » January 18th, 2015, 5:56 am

Terraria is one of my favorite games, and would probably be the subject of an LP if I ever do decide to do things like that. I haven't played it since I started working on the site, and probably wont play it much until 1.3 comes out, but it is always a lot of fun.

I will decide what is the best way to do it and probably post a thread in the next few days on it. Thanks for the advice alice

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 18th, 2015, 6:02 am

No problem.

And I've actually been waiting on 1.3 myself. I wanted to play last month a fair bit but after getting a fairly awful spawn I ended up stopping after only like an hour or two and deciding to just wait, lol.
💙💙💙

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » January 18th, 2015, 2:24 pm

I THOUGHT THEY STOPPED WORKING ON TERRARIA
This is like the third time I've heard they aren't updating Terraria anymore, which yet again isn't true

Anyways, I'd watch it!
I do believe Terraria is my most played game on Steam with like 360 hours, but CS:GO is quickly catching up with nearly 200 and counting

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 18th, 2015, 6:09 pm

If I recall correctly 1.3 is intended to be the last or second to last major content update with anything else being simply bugfixes. I think Redigit mentioned that it was so big they may need to split it though.
💙💙💙

An0malies
Not to be mixed up with ano0maly from the talkhaus

Postby An0malies » January 19th, 2015, 9:58 am

I always found it hard to get into Terraria, the UI seems to always be in the way and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. And when I tried to find an answer through the community, the responses were toxic and uninviting. More or less turned me off of the game and is a purchase I regret making :|
Not to be confused with the one from the Talkhaus, please read this first.

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 19th, 2015, 7:15 pm

An0malies wrote:And when I tried to find an answer through the community, the responses were toxic and uninviting.

You definitely shouldn't rely on their community. Many of them came over from the Minecraft forums which have a habit of being really toxic towards anyone who doesn't sing the highest praise about the game.

I disagree on the UI being in the way but unfortunately there's actually not really anything you can do to fix it anyways. There's not much customizable about it. (Actually thinking about it, was there any chance you might have accidentally opened the inventory and not figured out how to close it? I could see that really getting in the way then.)
💙💙💙

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » January 19th, 2015, 7:35 pm

The higher your resolution, the less things get in the way. But yeah like alice said, if you had the entire inventory screen open that would be annoying lol.

You get used to it after a while but I do agree the inventory system is cumbersome and confusing to begin with.

After you get past that though the game is amazing!

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » January 19th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Absolut Zero wrote:The higher your resolution, the less things get in the way.

This is a very good point as well actually. I haven't played on anything lower than 1080p and anymore I play at 1440p. I wouldn't think the UI would be too much unless you're playing at like 1024x768 or so though still.
💙💙💙

Sarusig

Postby Sarusig » January 19th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Alice wrote:
An0malies wrote:And when I tried to find an answer through the community, the responses were toxic and uninviting.

You definitely shouldn't rely on their community. Many of them came over from the Minecraft forums which have a habit of being really toxic towards anyone who doesn't sing the highest praise about the game.

As soon as they reach a certain size, communities tend to become toxic anyways. That's one of the big challenges that game devs are faced with nowadays: now that people don't have to work their asses off to get in the game because we made everything easy for everyone to access, how do we make it so that people don't become entitled sh*tbags?

That's especially true of games which have been "cloned" or accused of being "clones", because people get defensive over their precious game. Terraria/Minecraft is an exemple, LoL/DotA is one too, CoD/BF at this point has been inflated so hard that I think people don't even care anymore. Maybe it's the way to go, let the stupid reach critical mass and then it explodes...

I can't really think of a successful game/community that would have managed that yet.
Project Pokémon team - Music, QA, Writing, Master of taking notes in .txt forms sometimes

#shootitinthemouth

FiftyKappas

Postby FiftyKappas » January 19th, 2015, 10:10 pm

It's a pretty unfortunate thing, but really anymore I just tend to hang out with small groups of people that I know, so I don't have the experience with that. Anyway, I've played way too much Terraria, can't add more hours at the moment because I lack my own computer, but yeah I'd be interested in seeing things. When I can, anyway.
Psy...duck?

castlepokemetroid

Postby castlepokemetroid » January 20th, 2015, 5:05 am

I spend way too much damn time on Terraria. I build a huge floating room in the sky next to my sky island made from gold bricks, a crap ton of golden furniture, and filled in the rest with gold coins. It's dumb but really neat.

I really like jumping on my friend's servers whenever I get the chance. It's a lot of fun, we once went as a whole group to search for a beehive, so we could blow up the whole thing with explosives, to get the materials to fight the queen bee a crap ton. We got so good at fighting her, that we bounced around a beach ball, while trying to dodge the queen bee. We wasn't allowed to touch the queen bee, or allow the beach ball to touch the ground. It was really fun lol

I would love to play in multiplayer servers, but I understand if you don't want to open one. I don't have very much free time anymore, unfortunately.

I love exploring the crazy, insane random things people create in Terraria haha

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » January 25th, 2015, 11:50 am

Well, I finally dug out my mic and plugged it into my PC, and I have 3 days off after tomorrow! So hopefully I will gather the confidence I need to make a video over this time and get it uploaded. We will see... But I've already put it off for so long I might as well just get it over with :frankerz:

potato_sniff
Cousin Janet

Postby potato_sniff » February 16th, 2015, 8:36 pm

Lead Luigi
Goldilocks Mario
Location: IDK I think it was like a pocket dimension or somethin

Postby Lead Luigi » February 16th, 2015, 8:46 pm

Oh man a new game. Hope it's as good as Terraria, the recent update(s) have been pretty great.
something's coming...

Fuck Purple Town

Absolut Zero

Postby Absolut Zero » February 17th, 2015, 6:14 am

potato_sniff wrote:ima just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXk_ZCgxJI

Holy freaking crap! That looks AWESOME! Thanks for sharing! :frankerz:

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 17th, 2015, 6:57 am

I saw that shortly before I went to bed. It looks pretty decent. People are criticizing the graphics already but I don't see too big an issue with them personally. Hopefully unlike how Starbound has been turning out it feels less empty like Terraria did. Starbound just ends up feeling really really empty.
💙💙💙

Eila

Postby Eila » February 17th, 2015, 8:17 am

This kind of reminds me of Starbound except with fun.

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » February 19th, 2015, 12:03 am

Criticizing the graphics? They look better than Terraria!!
People are weird.
I'm weird.
That game doesn't look weird though.
It looks pretty neat-o so far, to be honest.

Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » February 19th, 2015, 6:43 am

Frozelar wrote:Criticizing the graphics? They look better than Terraria!!
People are weird.
I'm weird.

people who overuse the word weird tend to be pretty basic tbqh, weirdo :frankerz:
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Alice
⦂☽

Postby Alice » February 19th, 2015, 10:34 am

People are weird.
I'm weird.

I can see why they're criticizing it to a point. It's less stylized compared to the original plus 2d platforming based indie games have a bad habit of being more and more awful the better the graphics are. And some people find higher quality graphics in a sprite based game to just feel off too. I don't think the graphics shown in the trailer are like that though personally.
💙💙💙

potato_sniff
Cousin Janet

Postby potato_sniff » February 20th, 2015, 2:15 am

Alice wrote:
People are weird.
I'm weird.

I can see why they're criticizing it to a point. It's less stylized compared to the original plus 2d platforming based indie games have a bad habit of being more and more awful the better the graphics are. And some people find higher quality graphics in a sprite based game to just feel off too. I don't think the graphics shown in the trailer are like that though personally.

it looks like terreria, so im good with how it looks

Return to “Exhibition Alley”