STVPIDITASDISQVSTISSIMAETTOVARISQVSFORCENDVSESTKARΘAQODALENDAEST

A place to show off your completed or in progress video game projects. Mods? Hacks? Whatever you call it when you make your own thing? Reveal your junk to random strangers!
Tovarisch Red Yoshi
Resident Commie Chameleon

STVPIDITASDISQVSTISSIMAETTOVARISQVSFORCENDVSESTKARΘAQODALENDAEST

Postby Tovarisch Red Yoshi » January 14th, 2015, 11:56 am

Ok

So some time ago I spent a day "translating" SMW into Latin.

I was working with:
Wiktionary

and 'about 4 years since last used', working knowledge of the language gleened from Wheelock's and high school Latin classes

I repeat: I spent a day doing it.

So like don't expect a remotely good translation. I didn't remember the whole "present participle = must"* thing until pretty late, for example. Don't even get me started on things like the passive periphrastic or the tense thing Latin does; I even had to abbreviate principissa in a way Romans wouldn't because Princess Peach doesn't even fit on a line.

I probably translated this into the latin equivalent of using English word order in German or something without realizing it. Think of this as the Hong Kong translation of SMW, but into Latin (exemplary Hong Kong translation moments: http://rebloggy.com/post/the-best-of-yu ... 4485794615 )

Also with anonymous but arduous help, extremely minor work on graphics! But he forgot/lost interest in completing it, I asked for it, and then it spent like a week in my inbox because I looked it up with my phone and forgot I did that.

Anyways, just like with any site, no rom, just a lips patch

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ezbe6b6y7d21 ... s.ips?dl=0

* (Carthage must be destroyed)

**STVPIDITASDISQVSTISSIMAETTOVARISQVSFORCENDVSESTKARΘAQODALENDAEST = stupiditas disgustissima est et Touariscus forcendi sunt, Carthago dalenda est = Stupidity most foul and Tova should be hanged, Carthage must be destroyed. Also yes, Old Latin GCKQ usage because fuck it
wikipedia wrote:The word "w00t" itself was first seen in 1994.[citation needed] The expression rose in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade) mostly on MMORPG such as RuneScape. It remains a niche Internet term and is not in general usage. The symbolic approximation of Latin letter forms makes w00t a prime example of internet leetspeak. It may also sometimes be seen spelled as "wewt" or "wought".
Isocitration wrote:<Isocitration> a long obscure nonsequitur that must be explained
<Isocitration> the joke is funny because of that alone
<tovakj> you've known me how long, yet?
<tovakj> yes
<tovakj> you're finally figuring out my aesthetic

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Re: STVPIDITASDISQVSTISSIMAETTOVARISQVSFORCENDVSESTKARΘAQODALENDAEST

Postby Isocitration » January 14th, 2015, 12:36 pm

If the translation is even remotely similar to that Hong Kong translation, I'd say you did a good job.
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Return to “Exhibition Alley”