PCMA I Guess?

A place to show off your completed or in progress video game projects. Mods? Hacks? Whatever you call it when you make your own thing? Reveal your junk to random strangers!
Kiwisauce

PCMA I Guess?

Postby Kiwisauce » January 7th, 2015, 4:03 am

I guess this is appropriate to put here, even if I feel a bit weird doing so. Why do I feel weird? Don't ask me that, I'm not really sure, but it's probably partly because I don't like advertising.

Aaaanyway now that that pointless intro is over, here are some screenshots and links to a game that I made that you might or might not already know of the existence of, and that Iso might or might not have said he might or might not try to LP at some point. The full name of the game is "Panic Crisis Mage Attack".

Basically it's a horizontal shooter with a gameplay style similar to the Touhou series. People tell me it's pretty difficult. There is also support for custom scripting, as in people would be able to make their own scenarios with custom stages and bosses, but I haven't actually written good documentation for that yet since the response to the game from the internet at large when I've posted about it elsewhere has been pretty... nonexistent.

Also, I'd be happy to receive constructive criticism.

PCMA page on my website: http://kiwisauce.com/pcma/

Telamon

Re: PCMA I Guess?

Postby Telamon » January 7th, 2015, 4:08 am

I remember checking this out when the demo was available, but I had trouble with my controller's sticks being detected by the game.

Of course, now said controller is broken, so haven't been doing much gaming lately...

Kiwisauce

Postby Kiwisauce » January 7th, 2015, 4:23 am

Telamon wrote:I remember checking this out when the demo was available, but I had trouble with my controller's sticks being detected by the game.

Hm, were you trying to get it working with Joy2Key or something like that? One of my friends had a similar problem, but as I have no controllers to test with I couldn't figure it out.

Actually I got some Wii U Pro controllers recently to play Smash Bros so if I can get those working on my Mac I'll give native controller support a shot.

Telamon

Postby Telamon » January 7th, 2015, 4:31 am

Yup, it was Joy2Key. Never really done shmups, but I loved Beret so much I'm interested in giving it a shot. I'll let you know when I pick up a new controller.

potato_sniff
Cousin Janet

Postby potato_sniff » January 7th, 2015, 6:25 am

man this game would be impossible for me to play xD

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » January 7th, 2015, 6:37 am

Something I've been meaning to ask, but always forgot: Did you increase the overall difficulty between the beta and the full release or is it just my imagination? It probably has something to do with how it doesn't slowdown anymore when there are lots of bullets on screen, but I figured I'd ask since I actually haven't even been able to clear easy without continues, and I definitely 1cc'd normal in the beta. (though I haven't played it too much since I get periodic massive lag spikes due to my laptop's mystery problem)
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

7TC7

Postby 7TC7 » January 7th, 2015, 8:58 am

When playing this game or it's demo at some point, I realised something I keep forgetting. I'm really bad at horizontal shmups! At least the bullet hell kind. Vertical is fine, but I guess I must have accustomed to that too much.

But anyways, enough about me. There is one thing that definitely stood out to me about this game, and while I deleted most of this game after trying it for a while, the Soundtrack definetly persisted. It's just sooo good.

Kiwisauce

Postby Kiwisauce » January 7th, 2015, 10:43 am

Isocitration wrote:Did you increase the overall difficulty between the beta and the full release or is it just my imagination? It probably has something to do with how it doesn't slowdown anymore when there are lots of bullets on screen [...]

I did change a few attacks since the beta, but I don't think the replacement attacks are significantly harder, at least not to the point that it would affect whole runs. I also changed the powerup system to not be auto-collect all the time, so that may be part of it. Powerups in the most recent version are generally worth more though, and the powerup bonuses you can get from bosses are doubled in one of the recent patches.

You're probably right that the most significant factor is lack of slowdown... so enjoy the difficulty as it was always meant to be, I guess? I'm a pretty bad judge of difficulty in my own games, sorry.

One of the most important things to me is that the difficulty feels fair, so if you're getting hit by things and don't think it's your fault, that may indicate a problem with either the game design or something more technical like a framerate issue (and there have been plenty of both).
Last edited by Kiwisauce on January 7th, 2015, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwisauce

Postby Kiwisauce » January 7th, 2015, 10:49 am

7TC7 wrote:When playing this game or it's demo at some point, I realised something I keep forgetting. I'm really bad at horizontal shmups! At least the bullet hell kind. Vertical is fine, but I guess I must have accustomed to that too much.

But anyways, enough about me. There is one thing that definitely stood out to me about this game, and while I deleted most of this game after trying it for a while, the Soundtrack definetly persisted. It's just sooo good.

I'm glad you enjoyed the soundtrack at least! I'm fully aware that PCMA isn't for everyone (or even for most people? haha), but I appreciate that you tried it.

Frozelar

Postby Frozelar » January 8th, 2015, 1:12 am

Kiwisauce, help! I'm really bad at schmups!
Also I think you should be less afraid of spreading awareness of your games! Show the glory to everyone!

Isocitration
Citric Acid Spectre

Postby Isocitration » February 7th, 2015, 7:41 am

Telamon wrote:I remember checking this out when the demo was available, but I had trouble with my controller's sticks being detected by the game.

Kiwisauce wrote:Hm, were you trying to get it working with Joy2Key or something like that? One of my friends had a similar problem, but as I have no controllers to test with I couldn't figure it out.

Since my keyboard apparently has some ghosting issues, I figured I'd try out my controller using Joy2Key. I got it to work, but only if I changed the game's settings to use something other than the arrow keys for movement. Not sure why that's the case, but it seems to work fine now. (though I'm not used to using a controller!)
<Isocitration> metaphors are hard to swallow
<tovakj> that's why we have analogies

Return to “Exhibition Alley”